Is Disney overcrowded?

Neapolitan Ice Cream

DIS Veteran
It's nice to be in the parks, but there are so many people! They gum up all the most popular rides to the tune of a waiting time of several hours waiting in line. That's a sizeable chunk out of your day in any one park! Plus I suffer from anxiety and large crowds milling around me is quite stressful!

The overcrowding issue is in large part due to none of the WDW parks having enough capacity for the amount of guests that visit them annually and yes I am including MK in that. It's the most visited theme park in the world and cannot handle the amount of people that want to go there.

Meanwhile AK has held the reputation of a half day park for 25 years.

Meanwhile AK has held the reputation of a half day park for 25 years.
I think that with Pandora Land it's been bolstered somewhat (I think it's imagineering gone to the next level) but would be more reluctant to spend a whole day in Disney's Hollywood Studios.

I think that with Pandora Land it's been bolstered somewhat (I think it's imagineering gone to the next level) but would be more reluctant to spend a whole day in Disney's Hollywood Studios.
AK has 7 rides, 6 if you don't include the kiddie spinner. It's still a very under built park. HS is too but AK has it worse IMO.

So true. Using an ECV is near impossible at MK due to sidewalks, rails in the ground and crowds. It is terrifying to navigate at night as my eyesight isn't great. EPCOT is another place where it has become a nightmare, especially with huge groups of people milling about. Our last trip was Nov/Dec 2022. Next trip maybe never?

Yes. Newer rides need to be designed for the larger crowds who now go to Disney compared to 20 yrs ago. Tron is brand new and a carbon copy of the ride in Japan where attendance is far less. When that Star Wars ride first opened, the chance to get a boarding pass was gone within the first few minutes of the park opening. I don't get why those designing rides seem to miss the mark by so much. Do away with the pointless pre-show areas and increase the ride capacity instead. We also have zero plan to return due to the high cost and excessive wait times for rides. The value just isn't there like it used to be.

We just got back and I was pleasantly surprised at the crowds. It was crowded, but not terrible. None of the TS places we went to were full. There was a bit of a wait at QS places, but not more than ten or so minutes. A few rides had long wait times, but most were an hour or less. It was fairly easy to get around as well. We got into the VQ’s each time we tried, and the wait time was reasonable. I did budget for purchasing Genie+ and ILL’s, so the rides that did have longer wait times weren’t an issue for us. I hate that what used to be free now has a cost, but that’s an entirely different subject!

All that said, none of us had strollers or an ECV. When we walked from place to place, in the busier areas, we went single file instead of trying to walk five abreast. As ar as crowd levels, I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t as bad as I had imagined.

The Florida heat and humidity however, was awful. I cannot even fathom going any later in the summer. This Montana girl will not return to FL unless it’s December, January, or February! Just to give me better odds at reasonable temps!

I think overcrowdind is a pretty seasonal issue. I was there May 29 to June 5. My first park day was May 30. Parks were busy but quite managable May 30, 31 and June 1, stared getting busier on June 2, and then June 3 and 4 they were VERY busy, IMO. I was shocked that on Saturday June 1, Pirates only had a 15 minute standy and Haunted Mansion a 30 minute stand by. Peter Pan had a 45 minute, which was relatively short for that ride. Everything else I rode that day I considered a walk on, including Buzz Lightyear.

Likely right after schools start in the Fall...end of August through September. I'd wait until mid September, give it chance to cool down just a little. January (except MLK weekend) is pretty nice, But remember if it down below 50° F it can feel VERY, VERY cold, especially if it is windy, because of Florida's humidity, but it us usually pleasant. Early February is also quite nice.

I don't get why those designing rides seem to miss the mark by so much. Do away with the pointless pre-show areas and increase the ride capacity instead.
They aren't pointless pre-show areas. They're entertaining guests on the way through to the ride. It's a holding area that helps control the crowd... I'd so much rather be in the AC and being entertained than standing single file out in the Florida sun.

You can only have so much throughput on rides.

I guess my impression is different than yours. Pre-shows seem to give you the illusion you aren't waiting in line as long as you actually are. Many seem pointless and you still in some sort of queue before the actual ride starts..................LOL.

Last edited:
Depends on the pre-show/waiting line. If it's a short TV show, then no thank you. I guess the A/C is nice though!

However, if it's proper theming like in the Tower of Terror or a themed line such as the Haunted Mansion, then you've got my interest!

Last year we did 7 park days in a row: one day at each WDW park, and then 3 at Universal (park-to-park for Hogwarts Express).

It was late April into early May, considered a lower crowd time. Still, Disney felt about twice as crowded as Universal.

At Disney, it’s challenging to try the best attractions more than once, maybe twice. And crowds make navigating the parks more stressful with kids.

At Universal, we enjoyed the best attractions 10+ times each. And never felt like we had to worry about keeping our kids glued to us in crowds.

And yet, somehow, Disney still felt like a magical place. I hope at D23 they announce several investments that will increase park capacity.

Last year we did 7 park days in a row: one day at each WDW park, and then 3 at Universal (park-to-park for Hogwarts Express).

It was late April into early May, considered a lower crowd time. Still, Disney felt about twice as crowded as Universal.

At Disney, it’s challenging to try the best attractions more than once, maybe twice. And crowds make navigating the parks more stressful with kids.

At Universal, we enjoyed the best attractions 10+ times each. And never felt like we had to worry about keeping our kids glued to us in crowds.

And yet, somehow, Disney still felt like a magical place. I hope at D23 they announce several investments that will increase park capacity.

Yeah, but when the "best" attractions at Universal are about as good as the middle-of-the-road attractions at Disney....

:duck::laughing:

I totally get where you're coming from. Have you tried going during off-peak times?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter