Interesting conversation in cabanas on the fantasy Saturday 9/7. Retiring the Magic?

We were once on a cruise with Josh D’Amaro and saw him eating. Execs sometimes do go to the ships and theme parks. I agree wholeheartedly they shouldn’t talk publicly about work but it doesn’t terribly surprise me if some do. Plenty of newspaper scoops have been based on overheard dinner conversations at restaurants.

It wouldn't surprise me either. Even just traveling through airports, you hear business talk that should be kept confidential. People aren't great at being aware of who could be listening.

The Disney Magic and Wonder are 25-26 years old. That's up there in age for a cruise ship.

2028 would put them right at 30. At that point, the upkeep probably isn't worth the time or money if Disney is adding mega ships with IP's left and right. The Magic and Wonder are simply from a different era of cruising and while they have loyal followings, the numbers prove that the bells and whistles of the Wish, Treasure, etc. will win every time.

Didn't they just make a big deal at D23 about a fleet of 13 by '31? I know convention talk is cheap, but I wouldn't think they'd have made the statement if they were having real conversations about retiring the Magic/Wonder.
But who said that they cannot have 13 ships by 2031... while also retiring the Magic and the Wonder? I am sure DCL could amend their contract with Meyer Werft to add two other ships...

But who said that they cannot have 13 ships by 2031... while also retiring the Magic and the Wonder? I am sure DCL could amend their contract with Meyer Werft to add two other ships...
Was the rumor that they would build Magic and Wonder-sized ships to more or less replace them squashed? Or is that still out there?

Was the rumor that they would build Magic and Wonder-sized ships to more or less replace them squashed? Or is that still out there?
All I know is that they said the fleet would grow to 13 ships by 2031. As they have signed a contract for 4 ships with Meyer Werft, all are assuming that this means the Magic and the Wonder are staying in the fleet past their next major scheduled dry dock... But nothing would precent DCL to add an extra two ships to the contract with Meyer... or another builder... and retire those two ships. Unless I am mistaken, DCL has not actually said anything specific to the fact that they are keeping these ships in the fleet... its only mathematically implied... as for ship size... your guess is as good as mine...

Disney isn’t building six new ships. D23 is a PR event - that Disney said DCL’s fleet would grow to 13, doesn’t mean it’a going to happen. Maybe they’re still evaluating the Magic and Wonder and aren’t ready to announce their retirement???

Besides, historically many of the projects Disney announces either aren’t built out, or see their budget cut (including major projects… like Animal Kingdom and California Adventure).

A table of DCL execs were sitting behind me in cabanas on the fantasy very early in the morning on 9/7. They were talking about all the new ships coming to DCL. Pricing, capacity, etc. Then they stated talking about the Disney magic. About how it won’t be cost efficient to keep her sailing with all the new ships. Heard the year 2028 mentioned as the last year.

Wish I could have stayed longer and heard more of their conversation, but we had to leave to make express walkoff.

Yes, this is just idle conversation among DCL execs. But I did think it was interesting that they were talking so openly about retiring the Magic.
Honestly, I can't for the life of me imagine Disney execs talking about that sort of thing in public where guests might hear, or for that matter discussing information that they all by now already know.

For every foot of a ships length the cost of operating per mile goes down.
Also the new ships run on cleaner burning natural gas which will be required in some popular ports and sight seeing locations
now.
Walking around Skagway the town was choking on fumes from the docks.

The smaller DCL ships have the character we love.
We get the less expected but more delivered atmosphere as well.

Get the more promised but less delivered feeling on the bigger ships.

Honestly, I can't for the life of me imagine Disney execs talking about that sort of thing in public where guests might hear, or for that matter discussing information that they all by now already know.
Was very surprising for sure. And very interesting. We got to cabanas before they opened and this table of DCL employees were already seated, eating and talking. Maybe they were so deep in conversation that they didn’t notice that guests had come to eat breakfast before leaving the ship.

The dates may be off but you’d be deluding yourself to think that there hasn’t been sunset planning of the Magic and Wonder. 30 years is a very long life for a cruise ship and eventually will not be cost effective to main them. I think Disney will not sell them off to be given a second life with a regional cruise operator. That might extend the life to 35ish years but eventually. We will be saying goodbye.

No way anyone that actually has this type of info would be openly discussing it around guests.

Also No way they will ever build a ship the size of Magic/Wonder again. Bigger ships are more profitable and since they have more room they can have more bells & whistles. This trend is not going to be reversed anytime soon (or likely ever)

I have no idea if the incident happened or not but some of you need to get outside of the Disney bubble and join reality. People blab. Especially when co-workers whose common interest is work, get together.

Awhile ago I was at Knott’s Soak City and some gentlemen who were clearly in Disney management were waiting with their children to get on one of the slides. Among other things, they discussed the reasons for a popular Downtown Disney restaurant that had closed. While the information wasn’t highly confidential, it’d be very embarrassing had it leaked into a popular blog/ etc.

The only people who don’t believe the Magic / Wonder will be retired (in less than 10 years) are those who cling to sentimentality rather than reality. There’s a reason the Magic / Wonder are among the last of its type still sailing. That Disney gave a presentation to middle management that indicated the types would be retire, isn’t exactly highly confidential/ stock impacting news.

Last edited:
The only people who don’t believe the Magic / Wish will be retired (in less than 10 years) are those who cling to sentimentality rather than reality. There’s a reason the Magic / Wish are among the last of its type still sailing. That Disney gave a presentation to middle management that indicated the types would be retire, isn’t exactly highly confidential/ stock impacting news.
Don't you mean the Wonder?

The dates may be off but you’d be deluding yourself to think that there hasn’t been sunset planning of the Magic and Wonder. 30 years is a very long life for a cruise ship and eventually will not be cost effective to main them. I think Disney will not sell them off to be given a second life with a regional cruise operator. That might extend the life to 35ish years but eventually. We will be saying goodbye.
They won't be sold off. Disney is too protective of itself. I bet they'll somehow incorporate some of the salvageable parts/items at Disney World or Disneyland. Or maybe at Port Canaveral.

I heard a rumor on our recent cruise that Magic will go to Alaska in 2026 and Wonder will stay in NZ/AUS year round...

Could be... who knows...

I'm curious what the post Wish-Class ships are like... hope they aren't like the new Monstrosities of the Seas....

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest