Inflation..... wow the differance between Washington State and South Carolina is real!!!!

All other taxes.
Income tax
0% Washington state
South Carolina up to 7%

Sales tax
Washington State 6.5% for the state. Then a local add on sales tax that usually takes it up to 8.5% on everything but food.
South Carolina 6% then add on a local sales tax up to an additional 1%. Takes it up to 7%

Property tax
Washington State 0.84%
South Carolina's is 0.52%

Taxes on Cars
Washington State tabs -$30 per year + RTA (if in the part of the star that voted for it) 1.1% of Value.
South Carolina property tax on cars - Trying to understand I found this online Calculator https://www6.richlandcountysc.gov/Auditor_VehicleTaxEstimator/Default.aspx and depending on where I was put the taxes on my car between $1,000K and $1,400.

I call it a wash as even with the RTA I would be paying about the same tax per year to drive

Gas tax
Washington State $0.494 per gallon
South Carolina $0.26 per gallon

Yes some taxes are lower in South Carolina and Some are Higher. My guess is looking at my tex bracket my rate I would be lower in Washington State.

Yep. Which is why so many people in California retire in other states with lower costs. Their fixed pensions go a lot further.
Neighbor retired from the Air Force, then went to work for the Post Office. Retired and moved to Tennessee. Sold his 1700 square foot tract home on .17 of an acre for $400,000 and bought a brand new, custom 2000 square foot home on 5 acres for $125,000. Even without lower gasoline prices and lower taxes, the $275,000 he banks will go a long long ways.

Where in Tennessee and when was this?

SC native here. Born and raised is eastern very rural, poor SC, but settled in adulthood 2 hrs west, just south of charlotte, but still in SC. Our prices are very expensive compared to salaries and it's really hard for the native population. I have no idea how people are making it on the average salaries of the area. There are tons that moved here and brought their higher salaries and that is who is being catered to. Those not making decent money are living with family members, driving unsafe, uninsured vehicles, visiting food banks, growing their own food, not getting needed repairs, working 2 or 3 jobs, donating plasma, driving for door dash, etc. When I first moved here 25 yrs ago, you could get a small, new starter home for around 90K. Now they don't even build them. Our small, older home has tripled in value since covid. Have our salaries tripled? Or even doubled? Hardly. When I have visited my husband's family in MI and gone to the grocery store, I always notice that their prices are cheaper than ours. Our car/home insurance has also tripled since covid. Grocery bill, etc. Our utilities are higher, but thankfully, not tripled.
that's great feedback. Did not realize that it's the people moving in who have remote jobs and get paid like they are working elsewhere.

Well maybe if one wants to live out in the sticks. But these days, you're not going to get into Davidson, Hamilton, Knox, or Shelby Counties or any of their collar counties for that.

Exactly. Mil lives an hour south of Nashville on 16 acres 30 minutes from her 2 nearest towns. A trailer home or small house in a not so desirable neighborhood would go for more than $125,000

Home and land prices have greatly increased even in Mississippi , Tennessee, South Dakota and other non considered places like everywhere else.

that's great feedback. Did not realize that it's the people moving in who have remote jobs and get paid like they are working elsewhere.
It's a huge problem in several areas. People from very wealthy states are moving to retire or for a lifestyle and pricing locals who have lived and worked there all their lives out. They just don't have the money to compete.

I actually hadn't even thought of the remote workers, though there is a huge amount of those. I was thinking more the folks that moved from Mass or Cali or NY and were able to purchase homes outright here for cash. Tons of retirees, too. And plenty of people looking for better weather. Lots of corps have moved their headquarters to these lower cost areas to save money and every business around wants a slice of that pie because so many locals just don't have it.

Come on down and spend some time in California. You'll think everything is on sale when you go home.
For comparison in my zip code;
Median House price = $1Million ($582/sqft)
Median gas price > $4.35/gal (source; Gas Buddy)
Sales tax (where I live, includes local taxes) = 10.25% (highest in the nation)
Thanks to prop 13 from the 70's property tax is capped, but when you factor in the house price we end up paying about what everyone else pays.
Income tax varies by income, but the bar is set so low just about everyone pays close to the top rate (we are right around 9%)
I was thinking the same as you. Come on down to California.

Yes. It's terrible in South Carolina. Unbearable place to live. Very expensive. Please heed my warning. Stay away from SC! (Please).

YES!!! SC is FULL!!!

SC native here. Born and raised is eastern very rural, poor SC, but settled in adulthood 2 hrs west, just south of charlotte, but still in SC. Our prices are very expensive compared to salaries and it's really hard for the native population. I have no idea how people are making it on the average salaries of the area. There are tons that moved here and brought their higher salaries and that is who is being catered to. Those not making decent money are living with family members, driving unsafe, uninsured vehicles, visiting food banks, growing their own food, not getting needed repairs, working 2 or 3 jobs, donating plasma, driving for door dash, etc. When I first moved here 25 yrs ago, you could get a small, new starter home for around 90K. Now they don't even build them. Our small, older home has tripled in value since covid. Have our salaries tripled? Or even doubled? Hardly. When I have visited my husband's family in MI and gone to the grocery store, I always notice that their prices are cheaper than ours. Our car/home insurance has also tripled since covid. Grocery bill, etc. Our utilities are higher, but thankfully, not tripled.

You must live close to me. I live in Fort Mill. Housing prices have gotten insane. Rarely do you meet anyone that is originally from this area. People are moving here like crazy mainly due to the fact our schools are good and the proximity to Charlotte. Most are moving from states where housing is higher and not blinking at houses in the 500K-700K range on tiny postage stamp size lots.

I keep reading that TN is rising fast....particularly the 'burbs outside Nashville, with home prices skyrocketing beyond what most can afford. Is that hyperbole or can any locals confirm?
Median price sold. Davidson plus all adjacent counties. Note median price listed is higher. Also the price for new construction is also higher.
Davidson 453k
Wilson 492k
Sumner 468k
Robertson 429k
Cheatham 389k
Rutherford 400k
And lastly, you might want to sit down for this....
Williamson 997k

There is some more affordable housing in TN along with some acreage. But it isn't in or near the major metros. And the areas where such are, have their own problems.

Last edited:
We live in Williamson County, TN, south of Nashville, and it has gotten beyond crazy here for housing. We bought in 2008, before all of this. People flock here for the schools. Go across the county line to Maury, or Marshall, and while houses are still expensive, it's nothing like this county. It's gotten way out of control, but if we wanted to sell our house now, we sure could make a nice profit. My in-laws live out in a more rural area of Marshall, and their house is larger than ours, and they paid 100K less, so it varies greatly depending on what county, and how far out one is.
We.ve lived next to an empty field since 2008, but last year, they finally started building, and so far, from what we're hearing, the few houses will be over 1 million....ours house in our small neighborhood are nowhere near that price or as nice. There is SOOOOOO much construction going on here, it's truly out of control. THey are not at all considering infrastructure, traffic, roads, sewer, or schools. Just uncontrolled building.
Davidson has gotten very hard for people to afford, Quite a few people I work with live in Clarksville, or out that way, but it's over an hour commute in.
Eating out , restaurant prices in Williamson are also very overpriced. Sales tax total is 9.75 %

This is all about increasing income inequality. Don't think it's a big problem? There are 33 posts here so far, most arguing otherwise. Water will seek its level, and many are going to be moving in the coming years in order to survive.

We live in Williamson County, TN, south of Nashville, and it has gotten beyond crazy here for housing. We bought in 2008, before all of this. People flock here for the schools. Go across the county line to Maury, or Marshall, and while houses are still expensive, it's nothing like this county. It's gotten way out of control, but if we wanted to sell our house now, we sure could make a nice profit. My in-laws live out in a more rural area of Marshall, and their house is larger than ours, and they paid 100K less, so it varies greatly depending on what county, and how far out one is.
We.ve lived next to an empty field since 2008, but last year, they finally started building, and so far, from what we're hearing, the few houses will be over 1 million....ours house in our small neighborhood are nowhere near that price or as nice. There is SOOOOOO much construction going on here, it's truly out of control. THey are not at all considering infrastructure, traffic, roads, sewer, or schools. Just uncontrolled building.
Davidson has gotten very hard for people to afford, Quite a few people I work with live in Clarksville, or out that way, but it's over an hour commute in.
Eating out , restaurant prices in Williamson are also very overpriced. Sales tax total is 9.75 %

Nashville is such a hot market! I didn't know you lived so close, fellow Star Wars fan. 🙂

Home builders aren't interested in building starter homes because the profit margins are much better on larger homes with more amenities. Same reason US automakers are dropping baseline vehicles for models they can load up and charge 50k-plus for. $300-plus per night hotel room rates have been proliferating to wider and wider range of locales, not simply major cities or super desirable destinations.

Bubble's bound to burst at some point. Income levels simply haven't reached the level to sustain these stratospheric increases.

Home builders aren't interested in building starter homes because the profit margins are much better on larger homes with more amenities. Same reason US automakers are dropping baseline vehicles for models they can load up and charge 50k-plus for. $300-plus per night hotel room rates have been proliferating to wider and wider range of locales, not simply major cities or super desirable destinations.

Bubble's bound to burst at some point. Income levels simply haven't reached the level to sustain these stratospheric increases.

That's what Toyota was doing with me when I was car shopping last year. I was interested in a Prius which start at $27K and go to about $35K for the highest trim package. They told me that if I wanted to order one, it would be about $42K. I asked if that was for the base model? They said that they can't get the base model - "They don't really come that way," they said. Then why is it even offered? Why even have a $27K model on the website? Essentially, they were going to do everything to jack up the price, and they could because these things were flying off the lot as soon as they could get them. I went to Subaru and they sold me an Imprezza Sport for MSRP.

Income tax
0% Washington state
South Carolina up to 7%

Sales tax
Washington State 6.5% for the state. Then a local add on sales tax that usually takes it up to 8.5% on everything but food.
South Carolina 6% then add on a local sales tax up to an additional 1%. Takes it up to 7%

Property tax
Washington State 0.84%
South Carolina's is 0.52%

Taxes on Cars
Washington State tabs -$30 per year + RTA (if in the part of the star that voted for it) 1.1% of Value.
South Carolina property tax on cars - Trying to understand I found this online Calculator https://www6.richlandcountysc.gov/Auditor_VehicleTaxEstimator/Default.aspx and depending on where I was put the taxes on my car between $1,000K and $1,400.

I call it a wash as even with the RTA I would be paying about the same tax per year to drive

Gas tax
Washington State $0.494 per gallon
South Carolina $0.26 per gallon

Yes some taxes are lower in South Carolina and Some are Higher. My guess is looking at my tex bracket my rate I would be lower in Washington State.
Forgot about gas tax - that's part of the reason gas prices are so high in CA. $0.539 per gallon in CA, but that does not tell the whole story. You add in underground tank taxes (yes, that's a thing), carbon credits (in reality a tax on carbon emitters which is fuel refineries), then there's the twice-a-year required change in the fuel mix. Blame "big oil" if it makes you feel better, but that's not why gas prices are so high here. BEWARE to all other states! Do not follow this lead!

That's what Toyota was doing with me when I was car shopping last year. I was interested in a Prius which start at $27K and go to about $35K for the highest trim package. They told me that if I wanted to order one, it would be about $42K. I asked if that was for the base model? They said that they can't get the base model - "They don't really come that way," they said. Then why is it even offered? Why even have a $27K model on the website? Essentially, they were going to do everything to jack up the price, and they could because these things were flying off the lot as soon as they could get them. I went to Subaru and they sold me an Imprezza Sport for MSRP.
Can confirm, this is true. We bought a Honda CRV hybrid a couple of years ago when the dealerships couldn't get enough microchips. We just wanted the base model. The sales lady walked us out to the lot and pointed us to a bright red "touring" model. That's it, take it or leave it. We had tried, but could not find another CRV hybrid within 100 miles, and we are in So Cal. We paid more than we wanted, but we do love the car.

BEWARE to all other states! Do not follow this lead!

No one who breathed the air in Los Angeles in the 1970s would ever make a statement like this. I agree with you that California government has definitely overreached in some areas but efforts to clean up the air have been a huge success. The NIMBY crowd in California is what needs to be stopped. Looking at the massive surface parking lots surrounding the suburban BART stations in the Bay Area is ludicrous. Why haven't they built massive amounts of housing around them instead?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter