In the Kitchen with Donald

Well, you have all inspired me to try to make fresh tortillas tomorrow.
I have everything I need but already had a meal planned and thawed for tonight.
I will let you know how they turn out.

I have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer with a hook but it's the most basic/cheapest model they have, not the Artisan or Pro.
That's more or less mine as well, Max the Mighty Mixer came from Airmiles!!
The recipe I'll be sharing as soon as i finish skimming thru posts uses just the paddle -- unless i add grated cheese and it ends up thick enough to need to switch over to the dough hook at the end.

To answer your question about flours this is from the King Arthur Flour website:
All Purpose Flour:
The most versatile “essential” pantry flour. With a medium protein content, you can use all-purpose flour in any recipe calling for flour, but it’s ideal for cookies, muffins, quick breads, and pie crusts. It’s strong enough for breads and mellow enough to create tender scones and biscuits.

Bread Flour might be "better" but honestly i only keep one type in my pantry and use it for everything!

Super easy bread, the only recipe i use right now. I add grated cheese for hubby's breakie (that requires adding more liquid though, a bit more complicated if anyone is interested i'll add those measurements later!) and for his sammies this is what he gets instead of one that requires double risings. This can go from deciding we need more bread to the counter in under 90 minutes if I'm wanting!!

English Muffin Toasting Bread

Servings: 1 loaf
Ingredients

• 3 cups (361g) All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 tablespoon (14g) sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon instant yeast YES 1 full Tablespoon, it's a quick bread!
  • 1 cup (227g) milk
  • 1/4 cup (57g) water
  • 2 tablespoons (25g) vegetable oil or olive oil
  • cornmeal, to sprinkle in pan --not needed just adds nice crunch when toasted
Steps
  1. Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and instant yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer.
  2. Combine the milk, water, and oil in a separate, microwave-safe bowl, and heat to between 120°F and 130°F. Be sure to stir the liquid well before measuring its temperature; you want an accurate reading. If you don't have a thermometer, the liquid will feel quite hot (hotter than lukewarm), but not so hot that it would be uncomfortable as bath water.
  3. Pour the hot liquid over the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
  4. Using your stand mixer with beater attachment, beat at high speed for 1 minute; the dough will be smooth, soft and starting to become elastic.Lightly grease an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan, and sprinkle the bottom and sides with cornmeal. (adds crunch when toasted but not needed!)
  5. Scoop the soft dough into the pan, leveling it in the pan as much as possible. (damp fingers work well here)
  6. Cover the pan, and let the dough rise till it's just barely crowned over the rim of the pan. When you look at the rim of the pan from eye level, you should see the dough, but it shouldn't be more than, say, 1/4" over the rim. This will take about 45 minutes to 1 hour, if you heated the liquid to the correct temperature and your kitchen isn't very cold. While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 400°F.
  7. Remove the cover, and bake the bread for 22 to 27 minutes, till it's golden brown and its interior temperature is 190°F.
  8. Remove the bread from the oven, and after 5 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Let the bread cool completely before slicing. (brushing melted butter on the crust will keep it moist)

Thank you for the recipes. Unfortunately, I only found traditional yeast. I will have to read more on how to use that instead of instant yeast.

This recipe is a a tad (just a tad, trust me!) more complicated but makes the tastiest buns that are in constant demand around here. I've taken to making a double recipe and freezing half the batch to pull out and bake whenever needed. You can make small dinner sized rolls or larger one for sammies. The nice orange colour and slightly sweet taste makes them a perfect addition to holiday meals and hubby says they are great for tuna but we eat them regularly.

To get the butternut squash puree simply take a whole squash, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, rub oil on the cut edge and flip it over onto a baking pan. Roast in 375 F oven for ~45 minutes until soft. Scoop out the flesh and mash. We eat whatever's left after i measure for the rolls as part of the meal.

Butternut Squash Dinner Rolls

Servings: 12 rolls
Ingredients

• 1 package (2.5 tsp) active dry yeast (instant works well here)
  • 1/4 cup (56 ml) warm water -110 - 115 degrees F
  • 3 cups (360 g) all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup (56 g) butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup (114 g) Butternut Squash Puree
  • 1/3 cup (75 ml) milk, heated to 110 - 115 degrees F
Steps
  1. If you're using Instant yeast add to dry ingredients IF your yeast is NOT Instant- in a small bowl or measuring cup, dissolve into 1/4 cup warm water. Be sure to check the temp of the water. If it is too hot it will kill the yeast. Set aside for about 5 minutes until it activates and looks foamy.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt (and yeast if it's instant) & mix well.
  3. Combine butter, Butternut squash puree, and warm milk (and yeast mixture if NOT instant). Pour into dry ingredients.
  4. Beat on medium speed until mixed well and the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl and forms a ball. Change to a dough hook and knead on low speed until the dough is smooth and supple. About 5 minutes. If you find the dough seems too dry, add in a little more warm milk a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
  5. Place dough into a lightly greased bowl and turn to coat the dough with grease. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled - about an hour depending on the temp of your kitchen.
  6. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and form into round balls. Place the dough balls into a parchment lined, 13x9" baking pan. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled. About 45 minutes.
  7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F while buns are rising and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!
OR to freeze before baking:
  • Form into balls as soon as you've finished mixing, place on a baking pan and put it into the freezer.
  • Once frozen solid store in a ziplock bag or container. **No need to let rise at all!
  • Remove from freezer and let rise before baking.

This recipe is a a tad (just a tad, trust me!) more complicated but makes the tastiest buns that are in constant demand around here. I've taken to making a double recipe and freezing half the batch to pull out and bake whenever needed. You can make small dinner sized rolls or larger one for sammies. The nice orange colour and slightly sweet taste makes them a perfect addition to holiday meals and hubby says they are great for tuna but we eat them regularly.

To get the butternut squash puree simply take a whole squash, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, rub oil on the cut edge and flip it over onto a baking pan. Roast in 375 F oven for ~45 minutes until soft. Scoop out the flesh and mash. We eat whatever's left after i measure for the rolls as part of the meal.

Butternut Squash Dinner Rolls

Servings: 12 rolls
Ingredients

• 1 package (2.5 tsp) active dry yeast (instant works well here)
  • 1/4 cup (56 ml) warm water -110 - 115 degrees F
  • 3 cups (360 g) all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup (56 g) butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup (114 g) Butternut Squash Puree
  • 1/3 cup (75 ml) milk, heated to 110 - 115 degrees F
Steps
  1. If you're using Instant yeast add to dry ingredients IF your yeast is NOT Instant- in a small bowl or measuring cup, dissolve into 1/4 cup warm water. Be sure to check the temp of the water. If it is too hot it will kill the yeast. Set aside for about 5 minutes until it activates and looks foamy.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt (and yeast if it's instant) & mix well.
  3. Combine butter, Butternut squash puree, and warm milk (and yeast mixture if NOT instant). Pour into dry ingredients.
  4. Beat on medium speed until mixed well and the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl and forms a ball. Change to a dough hook and knead on low speed until the dough is smooth and supple. About 5 minutes. If you find the dough seems too dry, add in a little more warm milk a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
  5. Place dough into a lightly greased bowl and turn to coat the dough with grease. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled - about an hour depending on the temp of your kitchen.
  6. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and form into round balls. Place the dough balls into a parchment lined, 13x9" baking pan. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled. About 45 minutes.
  7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F while buns are rising and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!
OR to freeze before baking:
  • Form into balls as soon as you've finished mixing, place on a baking pan and put it into the freezer.
  • Once frozen solid store in a ziplock bag or container. **No need to let rise at all!
  • Remove from freezer and let rise before baking.

Would these buns be good for pulled pork? I have my pork on the smoker right now....

Does anyone use a dutch oven for their bread making? I never have but am thinking about buying one.

Good Morning
So going with what I have and it's not much....... I don't even have an electric hand mixer,,yeah love baked goods just don't usually make them myself. I do come from a long line of great bakers,,my mom and Nana.
What I have on hand.....(Mickey Mouse hand wisk ,Mickey Mouse measuring cups, bowl,,bake sheet, muffin tins ,Mickey Mouse measuring spoons). I am missing my morning McDonalds muffin,,yep I am a muffin a day girl!
We have everything I need to make these.
I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back on my success or failure.
Thanks for sharing everyone!
Mel

https://togetherasfamily.com/cinnamon-banana-bread-muffins/

Last edited:
I HATE raw bananas but LOVE all baking goods with bananas (I know it's weird). Your recipes looks delicious. Too bad I rarely have enough ripe bananas to bake even when I buy a tons since DH and DD10 love them as a snack and use them for their daily smoothies.

Our favourite muffin recipe is this one:

Attachments

• Pepperplate - Blueberry Greek Yogurt Muffins.pdf
    59.8 KB · Views: 13
I HATE raw bananas but LOVE all baking goods with bananas (I know it's weird). Your recipes looks delicious. Too bad I rarely have enough ripe bananas to bake even when I buy a tons since DH and DD10 love them as a snack and use them for their daily smoothies.

Our favourite muffin recipe is this one:

my kiddo loves bananas too. i started buying and hiding an extra bunch for baking...if i just wait to see how many are overripe from the regular pile, i would never have any to bake with either!

those muffins looks good, mel, and not too tricky. plus, baking with mickey sounds fun!

Now I'm going to be on the hunt for another bag of flour!!!!! All these recipes here, and I still have my bread maker I had put onto our local FB bidding wars page...that no one wanted. Good thing I didn't sell it!!! But now I want to try some of these recipes.

I have an AWESOME recipe for dough for cinnamon buns. I whip up the dough in my bread maker then whip it into cinnamon buns. I get asked to make these all the time. I'll post it once I'm done shuffling all the papers sitting on my desk already this morning

Does any one have a recipe for really dark, moist bran muffins?

I knew a lady a while back who made them all the time and they were sooo good, they almost looked like chocolate cake.
She used a "starter" mixture. She gave me the recipe way back when but I cannot find it and I cannot find a good one online.

Any thoughts?

Does any one have a recipe for really dark, moist bran muffins?

I knew a lady a while back who made them all the time and they were sooo good, they almost looked like chocolate cake.
She used a "starter" mixture. She gave me the recipe way back when but I cannot find it and I cannot find a good one online.

Any thoughts?

My mother in law has a great recipe - it makes a huge batch and is a refridgerator recipe where you make a huge tub of it, store it in the fridge and bake as you want them. I forget how long it lasts but it was quite a while. I'll find the recipe in a bit and post it. Great way to use up sour milk too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter