In need of suggestions : Carry on - Air Canada

Have you measured your laptop? Mine is supposed to be a 15.6, but it's only 15" long. The screen is 15.6" diagonally, which is how they (weirdly) measure screens like monitors and tvs.
The diagonal was fine as a standard when monitors were CRT, but now they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, so the diagonal is often misleading. I guess it's fortunate that televisions are relatively standard. But I digress.

The diagonal was fine as a standard when monitors were CRT, but now they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, so the diagonal is often misleading. I guess it's fortunate that televisions are relatively standard. But I digress.
I totally agree, but there you have it. I don't know why they can't just put the length and width on it. I can judge my needs from that much better than from a diagonal measurement.

It's the same with trunk size in cars/vans. What does the volume tell me? I want to know if my suitcases will fit, not a bag full of liquid. Tell me the length, width and depth. That means something to me.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. My biggest problem with the carry-on is my laptop... It's a 17" and the size limits on the personnal item makes it impossible unless I put it in the "real" carry-on luggage. But if I do that getting it out for security might be an issue... I still have 3.5 months to figure out my strategy. :smooth:
I also use a 17" laptop (diagonal measurement, wide screen) and it fits fine in my soft side briefcase which is a permissible personal item.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the "permitted" size of a carry on or personal item for AC - within reason. I've never had them actually measure - a personal item especially! The only time you'll really see them measure is those budget airlines that charge for everything except a personal item. A 17" laptop will be fine in most personal items even if it might slightly exceed the max size.

With the packing cubes, all your clothes/personals aren't falling out for all to see. They're neatly compartmentalized.
Agree. Love packing cubes. When they first came out, thought they were a waste/scam. Who would want to pay $ to put their clothes in another pkg in the suitcase? But used them on a 2 wk bus tour of Turkey & found them absolutely wonderful. Now essential.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter