In need of suggestions : Carry on - Air Canada

Sunelis

Mouseketeer
I'm in need of help, I haven't flown to Disney in 40 years... I'm 43(I always)... I want to only use carry on. What do you use as a carry on "bag" and as the personnal item bag? I'm shopping and there are so many differents types of bags out there. Thanks in advance.

I use a small suitcase (19" I think?) as the carry on item (we have two). Kiddo uses a back pack as his personal item and I have a small bag that goes over the handle of the suitecase. What I really want is an under seat bag (airmiles actually has one in the dream rewards). I would recommend a suitcase with those fancy wheels that spin in all directions, mine are older and just have two wheels so they have to roll a certain way. I also prefer soft sided simply because they tend to weight less. I don't worry about it being tossed around so much because I carry it on myself so I don't worry about getting a hard sided one.

I use a small suitcase (19" I think?) as the carry on item (we have two). Kiddo uses a back pack as his personal item and I have a small bag that goes over the handle of the suitecase. What I really want is an under seat bag (airmiles actually has one in the dream rewards). I would recommend a suitcase with those fancy wheels that spin in all directions, mine are older and just have two wheels so they have to roll a certain way. I also prefer soft sided simply because they tend to weight less. I don't worry about it being tossed around so much because I carry it on myself so I don't worry about getting a hard sided one.
Actually, I would hang onto that two wheeler. The wheels count against the size of the bag; the whole thing has to fit inside the measuring device. So an inch of wheels on the bottom is an inch less inside for packing space. It is the one regret I have about having to discard my old two wheeler after one of the wheels came apart last year. I bought a "spinner" and like it, but it is a little bit smaller insider.

The only other advice I have for you would be to maximize size of all 3 items. Both AC and WJ post dimensions for all 3 carry on pieces. I have a tote and a briefcase I can carry on that just match the dimensions. Also, if you are getting really tight for space, plan your travelling wardrobe carefully. You don't want to be uncomfortable, but with judicious layering you can avoid packing some bulkier items. Wear your heaviest or clunkiest shoes instead of light sandals for instance; you can always discretely slip them off in the cabin.

My suitcase (carry on) is the max size both Canadian carriers will allow. I usually take a backpack as my personal item. It's not quite as small as the measurements suggested but I don't have it packed full either. It could be squished to fit the max dimensions. It goes at my feet but fits under the seat. So far I haven't had an issue.

If you're concerned best to stick to the size on the website.

Here are the rules:

upload_2018-5-2_15-30-18.png

Be careful, because WestJet, I think, allows carry ons that are up to 22 inches, while Air Canada has a limit at 21.5 inches. I always takes a measuring tape when I purchase, because that includes the wheels.

The nice thing is you can also take a personal article AND a purse, as long as it isn't huge. Most purses fit the "purse measurements"

So, I have:
http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/st...expandable-spinner-suitcase-0600088961217--24

which is actually 21" H x 14.5" W x 9" D, so within the limits. There are others that are very similar, including ones you can buy at Costco.
I also take a decent sized purse and a computer briefcase, but you could find a smaller backpack that would fit that "personal item" amount.

I also would recommend packing cubes, if you're just using your carry on, as you can put more in with them (I know, I couldn't believe it, either, but it's true).

Last edited:
I usually use a 22" 2 wheel rollaboard. Technically too big for Air Canada, but I've yet to be called out on it. Probably because it's never stuffed to the point where you can't put it in the overhead properly (I think we've all seen this on a plane).

Most airlines will allow the standard laptop backpack. I presume because it fits under the seat. I keep all our tech stuff in mine. Wife keeps "emergency" clothes, blankets and cup noodles in hers. Kids have... stuff.

We always take the max number of carry-ons allowed and have of the larger roller-types packed ready to get gate checked if they ask for volunteers. (meaning the medication and valuables are NOT in that bag) Those bags are always the first off the plane so by the time we've stopped at the bathroom and wandered down to the luggage area we don't wait long. We've found it happens on most of our flights to MCO

I'm just happy I read about being able to bring a purse in addition to my personal item... I often carry a very large tote as my purse/personal item but may switch back to my boarding bag with a smaller purse now that I know this!

The only issue of just carryon is liquids. Be mindful of size. For us we need to check a bag just for this. I need my sunscreen

I buy lots of little sunscreens :) Because there are two of us we get two ziplocks of liquids, one of them is full of sunscreens lol. The other one has the rest of the stuff, which isn't much really for us, toothpaste, shampoo & conditioner and a little aloe vera gel just in case. If we are going to Disney I will just use their shampoo and conditioner. I have to make sure and take kiddo's sunscreen as he can only use certain types or he ends up with an allergic reaction worse than any sunburn. I have found a few brands sell 100 ml or 80 ml bottles and I can fit a few in the ziplock. Also nice for carrying in parks as it takes up less space and I don't like to carry a big bag around.

I have a Lug Puddle Jumper as my personal bag. It fits under the seat, and has tons of pockets to fill up with everything I need. Plus, it comes with a clear travel cosmetic bag which I find helpful for security. You can usually find them for $99 on Amazon - just beware that the packable version is not the one I’m referring to. It’s not as sturdy.

I went carry on only with Air Rouge last Fall for a 2 wk WDW trip. I use a CabinMax backpack (no wheels) and just a small folding nylon grocery bag for my sandals, small park bag & H20 bottle. No problem with boarding as the backpack - while it literally maxes out dimensions - is discreet on my back. Amazon.ca has an AmazonBasics carry-on that is less $ but it may exceed the limits by an inch or so esp when expanded. The CabinMax did attract additional screening at Homeland Security that added an extra 20 mins onto my processing. I was there early anyway so no issue. Think I had so much crammed in the bag that the scanner needed an extra search/pr of eyes to go through it & that was why I was pulled out of line.

2 cons to this approach:
  • that CabinMax was heavy when stuffed full. I'm in my 40s & in decent shape but had a middle of the night departure for early a.m. flight back and wouldn't you know it, the moving escalators weren't working in Toronto so a nasty haul through the Terminal on return. Physically more demanding than I had expected esp with little sleep; and
  • since it was a 2 wk trip, I purchased some solid lotions and sunblock to deal with the liquids restrictions. I didn't have a car so little opportunity to go to a Walmart or Walgreens to stock up on basics once I arrived. Adding it up, I probably didn't save that much money than paying for 1 checked bag. YMMV.
I'm planning to rinse & repeat the same carry-on strategy for this Fall. Now that I know what I really need, I'm taking less & trying to cut the weight by at least 6-8 lb. Doing laundry at your resort is a necessity so fewer clothes this year. Trying to get myself in a bit better shape & more stamina as it was a slog. If you have any serious health issues, carrying your world on your back is a bad idea compared to a smaller roller. I also couldn't put a small child through this and so 1 shared checked bag would be the sane route.

ps def bring an empty water bottle and fill up before boarding. My Air Rouge flight was delayed at the gate for over an hr with no A/C and it was nasty hot. No water was provided to adults - only rationed to a few children. Given our poor & few choices with Cdn carriers and the lack of service, always, always bring your own H2O. I had an Orlando businessman seated beside me & he was shocked by no H20 & tried to use the delay as a wedge for a free in-flight meal. No dice from the attendants. Rouge is no no frills.

We have very light-weight carry-ons we bought from Bentley. Tracker brand and they weigh less than 5 lbs each. We also each bring a backpack or larger tote bag as our personal items. IT is another light-weight brand. You can usually can great deals at Winners/Marshalls for luggage.

I went carry on only with Air Rouge last Fall for a 2 wk WDW trip. I use a CabinMax backpack (no wheels) and just a small folding nylon grocery bag for my sandals, small park bag & H20 bottle. No problem with boarding as the backpack - while it literally maxes out dimensions - is discreet on my back
I used to do this (back when electronics meant a Discman and a PSP) with an MEC backpack. And yeah, the weight can start wearing on you after a while. But as you've discovered, the learning curve is quick.

I use an Osprey 40 backpack as my carry on. It is regulation carry on size. I like that my hands are free. It packs easily and holds a lot.

My personal bag is a lug cross body purse.

These two bags have taken me all over the world. I’ve necer checked luggage—even with infant twins and a five year old.

I worked at a luggage store that had a repair shop in the basement for a few years and the #1 repair was lost wheels on those 4 wheels suitcases. Yes they are easier to carry in airports but the wheels are outside the frame and they often break. I personally prefer the 2-wheel (rollerblade style wheels) and buy the suitcase with the wheels encased as much as possible. This is not a big issue for carry-on unless the wheels makes the suitcase bigger than the maximum measurements or if you have to check-in your carry-on because the flight is full and there's not enough overhead bin space for everyone. On our way back from LAX the flight was full and they made multiple announcements that there wasn't going to be enough space for all the carry-on and that they will measure them to allow only the ones that are within the measurements allowed. They asked if anyone could volunteer their carry-on and I did. I knew mine is well within the maximum measurements but we already had a checked baggage so no additional time, plus one less piece of luggage to carry out of the plane. I did keep a small bag and my big travel purse (Lug). My favourite brands for mid-price range luggage are Samsonite and Delsey. For higher price range luggage I would buy Tumi.

We always take the max number of carry-ons allowed and have of the larger roller-types packed ready to get gate checked if they ask for volunteers. (meaning the medication and valuables are NOT in that bag) Those bags are always the first off the plane so by the time we've stopped at the bathroom and wandered down to the luggage area we don't wait long. We've found it happens on most of our flights to MCO
We've done the same, when its just the kid and I. DH doesn't have a small suitcase, so we usually check his one and he has his backpack, while DD9 and I have our carry one and backpacks. I do do laundry mid trip while at the pool. I have an Atlantic 21" spinner, DD9 has a 19" Heys Frozen tween spinner. All items required during the flight are in the backpack and if asked for volunteers we gate check our suitcases.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. My biggest problem with the carry-on is my laptop... It's a 17" and the size limits on the personnal item makes it impossible unless I put it in the "real" carry-on luggage. But if I do that getting it out for security might be an issue... I still have 3.5 months to figure out my strategy. :smooth:

Have you measured your laptop? Mine is supposed to be a 15.6, but it's only 15" long. The screen is 15.6" diagonally, which is how they (weirdly) measure screens like monitors and tvs.

Also, if you use packing cubes for your main carry-on, you could put your laptop in a protected sheath on the top of your cubes. Just carry it to the security, put it through and then pack it into your suitcase after you're through. With the packing cubes, all your clothes/personals aren't falling out for all to see. They're neatly compartmentalized.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!