If you use a car seat on the plane, please come in

***I did not read the previous comments. Sorry!***

I traveled with a car seat for my DD until she was 6. I never got to the gate any earlier than I did without a car seat because almost always if you are on time (arrive at the airport 2 hours early), you're beating the gate agent there anyway. They usually show up around an hour before the flight.

I always confirmed that I could pre-board after she turned 2. It was never an issue with any airport, but I never asked in Orlando because there are so many kids lol.

The one thing I always made sure to do is when walking on the flight, have the side of the car seat with the airplane info on it facing out so that you can quickly show the flight attendant that is it is approved for flights.

It can be a hassle, especially if your car seat is heavy. But it can be done. I've done it many times while traveling alone. I carry the seat in front of me, my backpack on my back and DD usually had her backpack on as well. I always put her in front of me walking on the plane. The car seat has to be by the window, so I set it down, put our carry-ons away, then buckle it in.

You cannot use a booster on the plane but I wouldn't check it. I carry it on and put in an overhead bin. Baggage handlers are not gentle and if they throw it, it can cause unseen internal damage. We did this for the first time in December since DD has outgrown her travel car seat.

Hope this helps!

Done both. Forward Facing in a Diono and Cares Harness. Mostly Transatlantic with active 2 and 3 year olds. The Diono FF (R120) fit fine width wise but was pretty bulky and heavy. But once it was in it was smooth sailing no matter the toddler's mood. The low-profile seat was too low for it to bother the person in front. By Forward Facing she could see the TV and use the tray table. No matter what she couldn't get out. CARES was a heck of a lot easier to get on the plane. Installing was easier once I had seen it done in a YouTube video. The big minus was that my 3 year old *just* made the weight on the low end and there is no crotch strap. She could wiggle out and down faster than me or my mother could reposition her. So she would scream, wiggle down, and almost out pretty much her whole first flight. Unfortunately her first flight was from Frankfurt to Boston. It felt like we were on that flight for weeks because of my daughter. Personally, I'd rather take the ugly stares at boarding than the struggle for the whole flight.
Like a previous poster said, unless it is a true bathroom emergency: Do.Not.Ever.Unbuckle.Them. Because, your sanity matters.

Afterthought: I have seen a hack where someone has put a crotch strap on the CARES harness. That part is not FAA approved but would have helped us. Also seen where parents sit the kit on some sort of rubberized no-slip shelf liner. Slipping is a known issue with the CARES harness.

Done both. Forward Facing in a Diono and Cares Harness. Mostly Transatlantic with active 2 and 3 year olds. The Diono FF (R120) fit fine width wise but was pretty bulky and heavy. But once it was in it was smooth sailing no matter the toddler's mood. The low-profile seat was too low for it to bother the person in front. By Forward Facing she could see the TV and use the tray table. No matter what she couldn't get out. CARES was a heck of a lot easier to get on the plane. Installing was easier once I had seen it done in a YouTube video. The big minus was that my 3 year old *just* made the weight on the low end and there is no crotch strap. She could wiggle out and down faster than me or my mother could reposition her. So she would scream, wiggle down, and almost out pretty much her whole first flight. Unfortunately her first flight was from Frankfurt to Boston. It felt like we were on that flight for weeks because of my daughter. Personally, I'd rather take the ugly stares at boarding than the struggle for the whole flight.
Like a previous poster said, unless it is a true bathroom emergency: Do.Not.Ever.Unbuckle.Them. Because, your sanity matters.

Afterthought: I have seen a hack where someone has put a crotch strap on the CARES harness. That part is not FAA approved but would have helped us. Also seen where parents sit the kit on some sort of rubberized no-slip shelf liner. Slipping is a known issue with the CARES harness.

Don't plan on unbuckling! Thank you!!!!

I might have missed how old your child is, OP... we flew on AA with my daughter age 3 and my son 15 mos. My son wasn't walking well yet and needed to be carried, my daughter got scared and wanted to be carried, my husband had his hands full trying to carry the car seat + base down the narrow aisles and I'm not even sure how we got our carry ons onboard. AA does not give you preboarding so there was a long line of people behind us. It was stressful to say the least! I would recommend backpack carry ons or something you can easily sling on your back. The aisles are narrow and it's nearly impossible to carry a car seat + luggage + child at the same time.

On the plus side, my son was FANTASTIC on the plane and I think the car seat was the reason for our success. He is used to napping in it and he slept the entire plane ride. As we were getting off the plane a person a few rows back said "oh wow I didn't even know you had a baby in there" which I still think is the ultimate compliment! We had been so worried about him crying the whole time but he didn't make a peep! Sending some pixie dust your way that your child will be a pro flier too! And that you won't encounter any negative Nellies on the plane- on a flight to Orlando, most people are pretty understanding about kids.

I might have missed how old your child is, OP... we flew on AA with my daughter age 3 and my son 15 mos. My son wasn't walking well yet and needed to be carried, my daughter got scared and wanted to be carried, my husband had his hands full trying to carry the car seat + base down the narrow aisles and I'm not even sure how we got our carry ons onboard. AA does not give you preboarding so there was a long line of people behind us. It was stressful to say the least! I would recommend backpack carry ons or something you can easily sling on your back. The aisles are narrow and it's nearly impossible to carry a car seat + luggage + child at the same time.

On the plus side, my son was FANTASTIC on the plane and I think the car seat was the reason for our success. He is used to napping in it and he slept the entire plane ride. As we were getting off the plane a person a few rows back said "oh wow I didn't even know you had a baby in there" which I still think is the ultimate compliment! We had been so worried about him crying the whole time but he didn't make a peep! Sending some pixie dust your way that your child will be a pro flier too! And that you won't encounter any negative Nellies on the plane- on a flight to Orlando, most people are pretty understanding about kids.

Thank you. I believe the car seat will help keep our routine down and help a nap happen!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the CARES harness. If they are old enough to not just try to squirm out the bottom, this is my vote for sure. The fact that it fits in the diaper bag delights me to no end.

I have done everything from the bucket, CARES, to a heavy convertible. The scenera is great because it is so lightweight, but it is still, well, carseat sized.

Most airlines still let people traveling with small children board first, although it is not a strict policy anymore. Asking ahead is always a good idea (just hope you don't get a grumpy gate agent) When I have gotten a grumpy gate agent...and I had a large carseat I just politely explained I wanted to keep the other passengers safe from getting bumped as I passed because it was unwieldy, or causing a delay. The word delay gets them every time. Airlines are penalized on "Ds and Cs" - delays and cancellations.

Another time when it was just me and the kids, my three year old had thrown herself on the ground, the other one was on a toddler leash pulling as hard as she could, and they came up to me and asked me if I wanted to board first lol. I was so thankful.

If you travel a lot on the same airline, most airline credit cards will at least give you priority boarding, which helps if your gate agent is feeling particularly unhelpful!

We are bringing our convertible car seats but I think I will gate check them. DH doesn’t want to deal with renting car seats for our car rental. Our kids will be 2 and 4 but our 2 year old is mellow and quiet. The 4 year old is very active but is getting better behaved

We are bringing our convertible car seats but I think I will gate check them. DH doesn’t want to deal with renting car seats for our car rental. Our kids will be 2 and 4 but our 2 year old is mellow and quiet. The 4 year old is very active but is getting better behaved

If they have their own seats on the plane why not just use the car seats instead of gate checking?

We've flown a lot with carseats. Usually at some point past 1 we start forward facing on the plane while still rear facing in the car. (this requires some finagling of the carseat, and is perhaps not for everyone). I also usually try to book early and often pay a premium to get bulkhead seats or other seats with extra legroom both to prevent kicking issues, and also because i get a tad claustrophobic on planes.

For our upcoming disney trip (and for other trips where expected driving is at a minimum) we're bringing a ride safer travel vest for my youngest (3), and a mifold (6) for my eldest. When we expect to be doing significant driving we've lugged the diono which is a pain, that thing is heavy! But its worth it to have safe kids.

Flying in November with our 2.5 yo dd. We will be flying down on SW and home on JB. I was thinking of buying the CARES harness, any issues with it in either airlines? I mean will the people behind me be able to see their TV screen (I picked all 3 seats in the same row so no sitting behind her), will it interfere with their tray tables?

Flying in November with our 2.5 yo dd. We will be flying down on SW and home on JB. I was thinking of buying the CARES harness, any issues with it in either airlines? I mean will the people behind me be able to see their TV screen (I picked all 3 seats in the same row so no sitting behind her), will it interfere with their tray tables?

I used one on Southwest and once installed it doesn't interfere with the tray table or screen. You will need to lower their tray table to slide the belt on but it can be put right back up. The belt should sit well below a screen as it should be close to even with your child's shoulders.

I was on early enough that no one was behind us when I installed it. When it was time to remove It, I just let the person know what I was doing.

I also removed DD's shoes when in a car seat on the plane. She only kicked once, because it hurt her foot to do it. When the seat in from was reclines it wasn't her kicking but just moving her foot. Her tray table couldn't be down when the seat in from of her was reclined. i also sent DH ahead with her seat for him to install and the carry on suitcase, DD and I stayed back until the last with the backpacks. when we arrived she climbed in her seat and was good to go.

I also removed DD's shoes when in a car seat on the plane. She only kicked once, because it hurt her foot to do it. When the seat in from was reclines it wasn't her kicking but just moving her foot. Her tray table couldn't be down when the seat in from of her was reclined. i also sent DH ahead with her seat for him to install and the carry on suitcase, DD and I stayed back until the last with the backpacks. when we arrived she climbed in her seat and was good to go.
Oh! this is a great tip - we've done this as well. I don't know if it hurts per se, and you obviously try to keep them from kicking at all, but it's certainly better than them kicking with shoes on.

And we love love love the Cosco Scenera Next for air travel. The thing weighs NOTHING, is very narrow and easily fits every plane we’ve been on, and has a great amount of cushion so our DD has been comfortable in it (and she’s used to the super padded Cadillac of seats at home, so that’s saying something!)
I used this save seat for travel. One issue with is there is no structure between the seat belt tunnel and the cushion. In a car this isn't a big deal, on a plane it puts the buckle right in the kid's back. Put a magazine or something else over it to smooth it out some.

I also never could get the latch straps it came with tight enough, so I ended up buying a nice latch straps on Amazon for $15.

Actually Southwest DOES have an infant fare. It you read on their website, they do. But I did not know when I booked it. Apparently you cannot book an infant fare online you need to call. So by the time I called to see if they would adjust our seat price, their infant seats were "sold out". They only sell a portion of each flight as an infant seat. FYI

I purchased a full price Business Select seat for my infant. I wanted to be able to get a refund at any point and to be able to be surely boarded first.
The infant rate is off of a full price ticket, so if you can get one of the two cheaper fare categories that will almost always be cheaper.

Thank you for the info! I was just doing my research on the CARES harness. However do you find it to be more of a pain? Can the person sitting behind you still use their tray table or does it block their tv screen if the plane has them. I am just afraid with my luck i would get stuck with someone behind us who makes a big deal about it.

I always thought CARES was so much easier then the car seat. I did the practice at home on a kitchen chair, our extra length was in a rubber band. And it has never interfered with the person behind us. I do agree the lack of a crotch strap allow sliding. I never got around d to making one for ours. If you think your kiddo will sleep, have a good pillow or blanket for them to lean on. That was the one plus with sleeping in the car seat, their head has decent support when it turns to the side.
While it is a pain to rent car seats, I would never be comfortable checking one. The rough handling could subject it to the sort of impact that could compromise the integrity of the seat. If you read the book with your seat, it will talk about checking the integrity of a seat after a crash. You have to looks at red threads on the straps in a certain area and see if they are torn.

As someone mentioned before, unlike in a car, the main concern with child safety on a plane is not a forward impact but a drop type occurrence. Small children could slide up and out of a seatbelt (or your arms) hence the CARES going over their shoulder. This is why we have always bought a seat for our child even when she was still considered "lap". Other then infants that can't sit in an upright position, being rear facing is not as important for older kids on a plane. We used our Britax for DD at 11 months and it never would have fit rear facing. she grew out of the largest carrier type at nine months.
I have never had an issue with anyone being bothered by the CARES harness. We had a really grumbling FA once that hassled us for her ticket, the label on the Britax, and then when I took her out of her seat mid-flight to check for a dirty diaper (seat belt light was not on and I agree with the never buckle them sentiment) she came by to tell me that "if you have to have that think on the flight (car seat) she has to be in it. Grrr. And when I say hassled us, I think it is good for them to ask for all those things, it was just the way she went about it, like she was disappointed we knew what to do. But that was just once of the many flights we took and maybe she had a bad day or a bad experience with people who didn't take the time to figure out the how it all works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter