If I want resale and direct to get the benefits what works best?

Spring Training Fan

Earning My Ears
I was curious about how to get the most out of my investment to purchase DVC and still get everything. I talked to a Disney guide and they said the least amount of points I can buy from them direct is 75 to start with. Is it best to buy a direct 75 points from them and then buy more points resale to be able to get all of the member benefits but still save on the bulk of the points? I would like to end up with around 200 points, so was wondering if there was a more inexpensive way to get that rather than buy 75 points from Disney and 125 via resale. I have heard of being able to add 25 points direct after buying resale, but is that still available to do? Any help you can provide is appreciated!

You can likely still can do a 25 point add-on after purchasing resale but it gets you nothing but 25 points. If you want the perks, you have to purchase 75 points direct. No way around that.

Ok, thank you. That helps a lot. I was curious also, if I buy 75 points at one resort (SSR since it is the cheapest and lowest maintenance fees) and buy resale with another resort, if I need more points for a reservation at my 75 point resort, can I transfer the points from my resale to use for the 75 point resort to get the 11 month reservation window? Maybe this doesn't make much sense, but was wondering if I needed more points if I could move points from one resort to another as if I was renting more points from someone.

The 25 point add on benefits went away as of this past February. 75 is the new minimum. The best bet for you is to go resale first, as you can then find the perfect contract for you (home resort, points, UY, and price). All of those factors are fixed when buying direct, so you can just tell your guide to put you on a waitlist for 75 points in a March UY at OKW and let them do the rest of the work for you.

That is, of course, only if the benefits are worth the cost differential between direct and resale to you. Analyze that first.

Ok, thank you. That helps a lot. I was curious also, if I buy 75 points at one resort (SSR since it is the cheapest and lowest maintenance fees) and buy resale with another resort, if I need more points for a reservation at my 75 point resort, can I transfer the points from my resale to use for the 75 point resort to get the 11 month reservation window? Maybe this doesn't make much sense, but was wondering if I needed more points if I could move points from one resort to another as if I was renting more points from someone.

No. Home resort transfer does not work. SSR belongs only to SSR until 7 months out.

Thank you! I am curious why Boardwalk and Beach Club are still fairly high on resale market when they both expire early. Are people thinking that they will be extended like Old Key West, or are they just that popular that people are still willing to pay for 24 more years of use? I would think that at some point if they don't extend the ones that expire, that they will be worth nothing on the resale market, correct? Or am I missing something. I don't think many would be willing to pay 10K for something that will expire in 10-15 years?

Thank you! I am curious why Boardwalk and Beach Club are still fairly high on resale market when they both expire early. Are people thinking that they will be extended like Old Key West, or are they just that popular that people are still willing to pay for 24 more years of use? I would think that at some point if they don't extend the ones that expire, that they will be worth nothing on the resale market, correct? Or am I missing something. I don't think many would be willing to pay 10K for something that will expire in 10-15 years?

I'm with you on not being willing to pay for it. There are many people who are, though. If you're 55, do you care if a contract runs another 45 years or not?
Also, BCV and BWV both offer pretty good point values compared to the newer resorts. They are always 100% booked up during food and wine, a popular time, also called "fall frenzy" in DVC lingo, where you will only be able to book at your home resort. To enough people, staying at those resorts is worth the premium they pay to get into them.

24 years is still a long time

A contract with 10 years left will still have 10 years worth of usable points........how much will that be worth in 14 years.....?

People buying BWV and BCV want to stay there and 11 mo priority is necessary for many seasons / room types.

Low point charts make it easy to buy and use a small contract

Star Wars Land

Food and Wine Festival

Demand is what sets the price. Looking at all of the resales, many don't keep their contracts for 25 years or even 10.

Select the best UY for your vacation patterns.
Buy where you love to stay.
Book at 11 months.
Buy resale if you can.
If you buy additional contracts, keep the same UY and names on deeds.
After buying resale, if you intend to buy a small direct contract for the perks, buy now before the minimum increases.
DVD/DVC marketing can change the perks at any time.
Perks and policies tend to change when management changes and DVD/DVC upper management just changed.
Expect to spend more on Disney vacations after you buy DVC.

:earsboy: Bill

If you buy 2 different resorts - 1 resale 1 direct....

Consider buying resale 1st - you can initially be more flexible on UY, # points and possibly resort if you are open to it. The direct add on is simple from there. ALSO, if you are not needing all your points and direct benefits immediately, you can start adding on 25 points at a time direct (form of free financing). The risk being DVC will increase the minimum direct purchase for benefits before you get all desired points purchased.

If there is a significant difference in end dates on your resorts (ie CCV and BWV) I'd buy the one with the later end date direct since you value direct benefits. If your direct contract expires first, you will still have XX years left on other contract with no direct benefits remaining. (So far in the future who knows what will be, but still....)

We bought BCV resale early this year for reasons listed above: We love the feel/decor of the resort and Stormalong Bay. We LOVE the location - being able to walk to Epcot (our favorite) and walk/boat to DHS. And we love that it’s an in-demand resort such that if we ever decide to rent our points, typically it’s easy to do. (Now, will the latter point be affected once Riviera comes on line? Possibly. But rental potential is just gravy, not a necessity.)

I analyzed length of contract, but for us - in our mid-40s - it’s just not that important. All the other pros outweighed that con. We went with the advice of “buy where you want to stay,” and for us, it’s BCV.

BWV and BCV remain high because increasingly, if you don't own at one of them, you simply won't be booking studios there at 7 months even in DVC's lower demand season. As that increases, 1BR availability is also going to tighten.

There will come a point where the market goes away, and people will need to hold until 2042, possibly renting the points, and renting them out will still be of more value than selling. But no one is really sure when that will occur - it will be when the cost to book cash rooms is less than the cost of buy-in, and I'm too lazy to create a model for that, and haven't seen anyone with the level of dedication required to do so either.

BWV and BCV remain high because increasingly, if you don't own at one of them, you simply won't be booking studios there at 7 months even in DVC's lower demand season. As that increases, 1BR availability is also going to tighten.

There will come a point where the market goes away, and people will need to hold until 2042, possibly renting the points, and renting them out will still be of more value than selling. But no one is really sure when that will occur - it will be when the cost to book cash rooms is less than the cost of buy-in, and I'm too lazy to create a model for that, and haven't seen anyone with the level of dedication required to do so either.

Another factor in favor of paying so much for the Epcot resorts despite their early contract end dates, is that you actually aren't paying that much more per year once MFs are included. Dividing the purchase price of a 24 year resort and a 40 year resort by the amount of years remaining ends up being a difference of a couple of dollars per year in most cases. MFs are always increasing, though, so some of those 40 year resort owners will have quite the yearly bill over a longer period of time than the 24 year people will. Even if you were to ignore the different end dates, once you include the yearly MF cost along with the per year cost of buying in, the Epcot resorts only end up costing about 10% more than the MK ones.

Last edited:

like with all real estate -- location, location, location. There seem to be a lot of F&W fans in the DVC market -- and if Epcot is your favorite, there aren't any better locations.

That’s correct, at a minimum even at 10 years left, say you have 100 points you can rent them out for the last 10 years.

Taking out maintenace and maybe some points (maybe you’re only able to rent 96 points instead of 100, etc)

You will still clear about $8 a point. So minimumly that 8k.

Other folks may chime in ‘opportunity costs’ and other factors like I could have dumped the funds in a stock market, CD, etc.

The point is that there will be some basic value on those contracts even as they move towards expiration.

What benefits do you want that are worth paying the direct premium for?

Not to hijack the thread here, but I’m also leaning towards buying direct at BWV. We’re a family of 5, and while one kid is still under 3, eventually I’m assuming I end up buying 5 APs if I’m getting DVC, either resale or direct.

Even if I end up saving $20-40 per point if I went resale on a small contract, the almost $1,500/yr savings on five Gold APs vs five Platinum overcomes that savings rather quickly.

Not to hijack the thread here, but I’m also leaning towards buying direct at BWV. We’re a family of 5, and while one kid is still under 3, eventually I’m assuming I end up buying 5 APs if I’m getting DVC, either resale or direct.

Even if I end up saving $20-40 per point if I went resale on a small contract, the almost $1,500/yr savings on five Gold APs vs five Platinum overcomes that savings rather quickly.

You definitely have to do your own math to see what makes the most sense for your family. For some people, direct purchase can make sense for their wants and their plans of use.

For us, with the size contract we wanted to purchase and the difference in direct vs. resale price, it would have taken AT LEAST 10 years of buying APs for all five of us to make up the difference - which is highly unlikely, given the way we plan to use our points. And the AP discounts are not guaranteed - which is actually a really important thing to realize. Discounts and other perks are not guaranteed.

To OP and anyone else interested in points direct just be aware that if you do decide to go the direct route you might have to wait a while for the inventory to be available (assuming you don’t want CCV). For us after my hours of research it made sense to buy direct first and then do resale. I wanted an upcoming UY and waited about 2 months before guide called and said they finally had a contract in my requested October UY. It does not cost anything to get on the list or to start the process of bugging your guide so if that is the route you want to take you might as well do it sooner rather than later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!