I should’a taken that left in Albuquerque (Updated 8/16/13 Pg13)

Half Way Done!

You probably thought I had forgotten, but I didn't. I was sitting here at work last week when it finally slowed down enough for me to relax a bit and crack open a good book. Since I didn't have one of those around, I opened up your trip report instead. I'm up to page 7, and hope to slowly churn through the rest of your tales in the next week or so.

Excellent work so far, as usual. :thumbsup2

Okay...I'm caught up again.

Let's just say that even though I'm not as big a history buff as my husband or you obviously, I'd rather go through all of that history stuff then get on the roller coasters in your pictures. :scared1::scared1::scared1:

I'll try to stay caught up. Well, at least until I leave in 37 days for my 17 day trip. :)

Good evening all.

I ought to offer up a couple of replies on this TR right about here, but I’m afraid I have to inform y’all that I’ve gone and done something a might rash…

I’ve started up a new TR and it’s even one that makes its way down to Disney World!!!

Introducing…

The Goofy Identity

(Just whose side are you on anyway?)

(go on… give it a click…)

This marks the second time I’ve actually tried to work on two at once. Obviously I don’t learn from my past mistakes very well. The replies for this one are forthcoming and I’ll be continuing this one as well, but the updates will be a bit farther apart, besides…

In the new one I actually get to write about Disney???

party:

And what could be better then that?

Chapter 4: The Peninsular Campaign

Operation: Tinder Box
(The DoG Street Offensive)

1140 hours, 25 June, 2012
Capitol secured, a counterattack was mounted but has been driven off. All troops mobilizing to take business district. House to house actions anticipated.​

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Business as Usual

Where would we be without Business?
(and of course… sound and equitable business practices)

Well, we’d either be tribal hunter-gatherers or subsistence-farmers being ground down by self-appointed nobles and suffering from the violence inherent in the system…

C04-432_zps0987c950.gif

…but that’s not the point.

It’s business that generally promotes and strengthens civilization (true that it is wealthy, powerful “businesspeople” that often destroy said civilizations, but “business” in general… that bit we need). There’s no reason for establishing a town of any type in the first place except as a centralized location for trade. That’s why the first cities grew up along known trade routes and on the sites of established common markets. And while the “business of business” has changed little, the types of business being conducted has changed and evolved immensely over time. And that lead us to DoG Street…

C04-433_zpsedc1ebcd.jpg

Now, there are several things going on here that need ‘splaining.

First off, the fellow addressing the crowd from that raised platform (and I’ll come back to what he was on about in a bit), would never have called this tree lined main road: “DoG”. No, he’d have respectfully used it full and proper name: “Duke of Gloucester Street”; which it was given in honor of Queen Anne’s eldest son (a sad story there). It was the modern students of William and Mary University down at the far end of the road there that shortened it to “Dog Street”. Six syllables is just entirely too many to have to worry over.

C04-434_zps6960a63d.jpg

This really is the main part the “Restored Area” and most of the open building and interaction with the interpreters takes place along this broad thoroughfare. Of course it started out as little more than a horse path and was even obstructed at several places by buildings and a public oven. To convert it from path to road, the town conducted what might be the first documented condemnation proceeding in American history. In 1704 nd with the blessing of the House of Burgesses, the structures in question were purchased from one Col. John Page. The total amount of the transaction… five pounds sterling. Oh, and he got to keep all the bricks from the buildings after they were razed (and that’s monetarily more than you might think but I’ll come back to that latter on).

Now back to the fellow doing the talking up there.

Throughout the day, the folks who “inhabit” the town reenact small scenes that tell a bit of the story of life during the revolution. There are a couple of different story lines depending on which day you happen to visit. While we were there, the subject was the struggles of daily life in around the year 1780, after the insurrection had been going on for a while. What was happening at the moment was that a crowd had gathered and was bickering about the cost of basic goods. One of their number went so far at to accuse a local shopkeeper of hording flour to drive up the price. Things were pretty tough back then and with general staples being in short supply and costing nearly 100 times what they had prior to hostilities, you can see why folks would be going at one and other.

Actually the fellow was lucky he didn’t get strung up, but fate intervened (in the form of the next scripted interaction listed on the schedule). Just as this public argument was ending folks started gathering again back in front of the Capitol building where a small but heavily armed group of British Regulars were marching on to the common area. The senior officer then bid the crowd to pay head as the honorable “British General”; Benedict Arnold had a few word of wisdom that he wished to impart upon us…

C04-435_zps76ea1f6f.jpg

Hero of Saratoga indeed!

The turncoat had several points that he felt the town’s folk needed to be aware of. First off he stated that they’d all been misled by the radicals sitting comfortable up in Philadelphia and that continuing to stand against the mightiest army the world has ever known was pointless and futile (I wonder if there isn’t a modern warning in there somewhere). The next detail he imparted on us was that the king’s forces now controlled Virginia’s current capitol of Richmond and would be garrisoning troops throughout the Tidewater region. Needless to say… this meant that they now controlled Williamsburg and all its inhabitants. A pronouncement that also came with an appropriate change in the banner fluttering over the retired statehouse…

C04-436_zpsca4d6ced.jpg

The last bit of information was a demonstration of just how magnanimous and forgiving their Royal Sovereign was. All citizens in the town would be given the opportunity of signing a Loyalty Oath to the king. They even planned to bring it around to every house and business to save you the trouble of having to come to them. Signing it (while the kings men were standing there in your parlor - guns at the ready – and with all members of your family gathered round for their safety of course) would immediately pardon you of all the treasonous acts that you had obviously committed up to now. At this point everyone in town now had a major decision to make. Sign and continue to conduct business as usual (while risking the danger of having documented proof that you are a Tory Collaborator should the Continental Army be victorious), or refuse to sign and be arrested on the spot for treason (which would very likely garner you a short drop and a sudden stop). The only other option was to grab what you could carry and leave.

Post haste.

A fairly tough spot to be in wouldn’t you say?

Heading Uptown

With the Redcoat’s move to subjugate the town’s folk now completed, it was time for us to get back to our mission of taking the town away from the both of them. Our first objective was to gain control of the pharmaceutical industry…

C04-437_zpsef379fcb.jpg

The Pasteur & Galt Apothecary is one of the first few businesses you’ll encounter along DoG Street (as you’re headed away from the Capitol building). An apothecary’s most relevant modern equivalent would be a drug store and this establishment is certainly where you went if one was in need of some type of prescription for whatever ailed them. But you might also head here to acquire tobacco or snuff (a might on the ironic side there) or such fine imported goods as gold and silver leaf, candles, French chalk (for taking grease out of silks and fine cloths), vermicelli, salad oil, anchovies, spices, or even sugar. This was considerably more then a drug store.

Such businesses were generally owned and run by doctors or surgeons and could also provide most of the needed medical treatments required by the people of the day. As such the tools needed for preparing and mixing medicines were also supplemented by those needed for bleeding patients, performing surgery, setting broken bones, or even extracting teeth (although most of that type of business was conducted in the patents homes or in the back room…

C04-438_zpsd4f6a357.jpg

Out in the main part of the shop however, the most prominent feature was the shelves and drawers filled with exotic oils, unctions and preparations…

C04-439_zpsa8009ed3.jpg

Being as actually seeing the doctor was quite expensive, most folks would self-diagnose and treat using concoctions that were guided more by tradition, folklore, or domestic medical books rather then any serious science. Most maladies were treated via some type of “purgative”. The idea being that something in you was causing the problem, so you needed to get it out… one way or another. The most common preparation sold at the time was just such a purgative that went by the common name of “Thunderbolt”. I can only imagine the effect that such a concoction might have on one’s innards.

< < < ~ > > >

Speaking of innards, we were starting to get just a might hungry by now. Time for a bit of foraging. The next major building along the way is the Raleigh Tavern. There are several spots along the street to have a sit-down meal in a colonial style (with reservations made prior to your arrival of course), but the Raleigh is more of a historical building illustrating how taverns are run and their importance to the communities that they serve (and closed at the time so we didn’t get inside that day). But if you were to follow the side pathway to the buildings out back…

C04-440_zps10263568.jpg

There is much grub to be had.

C04-441_zpsa63e98b2.jpg

This spot actually gets mixed reviews. If you’re looking for folks who are actually cooking and baking along traditional methods, you’ll be disappointed (though there are other spots along the way that are demonstrating those skills). If however you’ve got the munchies and want a quick snack that pays homage to those bygone times… then this will de nicely. In practice, this is more like a Disney QS. There are plenty of tasty breads, muffins, cookies, hand-pies, and sandwiches, but you’ll also find bagged chips, and soft drinks here. We got a sampling of their wears and decided that all in all, it was plenty good (if a might pricey). The winners were the gingerbread and the chilled apple cider (common things you can get elsewhere, but still quite good). For the boys, the hit of this stop was the WDW style “Refillable Mugs”…

C04-442_zpsdb8413a0.jpg

Have I mentioned yet that it was rather hot that day? Sweltering might be a better description. Mom and dad were dealing with this condition better then the young’ens (which seems odd being as supposedly they’re both younger, stronger and have lived their entire lives even farther south then this and ought to be use to it by now, but you know how kids like to complain). Anyway, it turns out that there are several spots around the old city where you can top off these little beauties… gratis. The only problem is that you can’t take them into any of the historic buildings.

< < < ~ > > >

Nosh consumed, carbonated beverages in hand, it was time to move on toward the west. The next open shop we encountered was the Silversmith’s digs. Only so many people can enter any one shop depending on the size of the space. As such, you may have to wait a bit for the folks ahead of you to clear out (something which caused us to bypass one or two spots along the way). That was the case here, but after a bit, several other explorers finally vacated the premises. The coast now clear, the boys dropped their cups by the stoop and in we went...

C04-443_zpsdfb20cb5.jpg

In my lifetime the value and importance of having a silver service has diminished somewhat. I remember when I was growing up there were a lot of references in books, on old TV, and even general conversation made to "Grandma's Silver" as being something that was likely to be pilfered or hidden away somewhere. You don't hear much about it any more. How different the times. Way back when, the purpose of a “silver service” wasn't so much as a decorative implement for consuming Christmas dinner (unless you were silly wealthy that is). Rather for the “middling folks” it was the everyday place where you physical stored your retirement savings. If you had extra funds (or were paid in silver coinage – something Mother England keenly disapproved of) you might well have it converted into a set of spoons, a platter, a teapot or some other type of “hollowware”. Things that could if necessary be melted back down and used as currency later on. The silversmith had the know-how, tools and hearth required to make deposits and withdrawals of this type…

C04-444_zps792b7338.jpg

Lets say that you had incurred some unexpected debts or wanted to purchase the field adjacent to your land. You might pop in here and have the handles removed from a number of pieces and melted back into something more tradable (saving the fork tines and spoon bowls if possible because those took the most work to hammer and shape – and therefore cost more in commission). On the other hand you might have acquired new assets and decide to save them for the future by converting them into some amount of “Argent” and then have that flashy metal worked into some new serving pieces. It wasn’t uncommon to even have the handles on all your pieces shortened or lengthened depending on whether you were in need of cash or squirreling it away.

< < < ~ > > >

“What do you buy?”

This traditional Colonial merchant's greeting is the one that struck our ears as we entered the next business along the way… the Milliner’s shop. Now I knew that a milliner made and sold women’s hats and as such I wasn’t as interested in this stop at first as I ought to have been. But the definition that I was aware of was more modern and did not encompass what that profession actually entailed at the time of the Revolution.

C04-445_zps44ab8d22.jpg

It turns out that milliner, as “hat maker”, is a nineteenth century term. The word is much older and first described those that dealt in “Milanese” (as in Milan, Italy) ware. These “wears” included such things as silks and ribbons but also extended to armor and swords as well as anything else produced by in or imported by the Italians. The military accoutrements began to recede from general fashion after a while and the profession focused more on clothing and fashion in general.

Around the time of the Revolution, millinery shops were often a woman's business and were the only business a woman could actually purchase. A single woman acting as a milliner was accepted on par with any male businessman (except for that whole not being able to vote or hold down a public office thing of course). The primary things sold were imported garments and most importantly, imported cloth (weaving was not yet big business in the Americas).

C04-446_zps66e2f488.jpg

The cost of said garments depended on the fabric. If you could afford the material, then you could easily afford to have your clothing made for you. The cost for the labor was almost inconsequential as the material easily took up 80%-90% of the cost. For instance, a silk taffeta dress might cost about £15, and that was nearly a half-years salary for a young journeyman tradesman. It’s no wonder that folks owned only a few well-made and well-chosen frocks and took exceptionally good care of them.

You may also notice in that last picture that there was a display of what looks like toys. That’s not by mistake. Well-stocked millineries might offer fabric, baby and children's clothes, hats and shoes, needles, thread, ribbons and laces. But they would also offer such sundries as jewelry and hairpieces, dolls, books and games, sugar, liquor, teapots, medicines and even lottery or theatre tickets.

“Remember, I'm here to tempt your eye and empty your pocketbook.”

All right, time to move on.
Boys… remember to grab your cups as we head back out the door, ya’ here.

Encampment

C04-447_zpsb3f2076c.jpg

With the business district pretty well under our control, it was time for our raiding party to shift gears and take on the next obstacle…

the most potentially dangerous obstacle…

the one that was familiar with and well drilled in military tactics…

the folks that were actually armed…

C04-448_zps189f0ac3.jpg

OK, not really all that much to worry about just yet.

Lets back up just a little bit. As I said a moment ago we decided to move on toward a different part of the historic area. With that aim in mind, our strike force moved off of the fabled Duke of Gloucester Street and headed north; one whole block to the north (remember the whole place isn’t all that big to begin with).

C04-449_zpsf7e1f632.jpg

At the corner of Botetourt (pronounced: “BOT-ə-tot”) and Nicholson (pronounced: “Nich-ol-son” :rolleyes1 ) streets you’ll find one of those spots where them there refillable mugs can be… ummmm… refilled (this pleased the boys mightily).

Cattycornered across the street from there is a rebel encampment.

C04-450_zpsb6b1c4e5.jpg

Now this particular exhibit is seasonal and you won’t encounter it in the dead of the winter. But being as we were about as far from winter as you could possibly be - calendar wise - we got to partake.

Depending on the time of day and the volunteers available to man the site, you’ll see various demonstration related to activities common to such military camps of the day. When we arrived, the “Sergeant” was drilling a batch of new recruits on the fine art of loading and firing a musket. Being as none of these bumpkins had thought to bring along their own firearms, nice sound (and relatively straight) sticks were pressed into the roll.

C04-451_zps5768ca8f.jpg

Once he had the entire rank working together like a well-oiled machine, he dismissed that corps of volunteers, and then rendered a proper demonstration of the “modern” flintlock rifle’s capabilities for the rest of the onlookers…

C04-452_zps724db659.jpg

The next demonstration was given by a couple of teenage fell’as who were volunteering their musical talents to the cause.

C04-453_zpsa61cde22.jpg

They first explained why a fifer and drummer were considered to be a military necessity at the time, than went into how you maintained the instruments themselves. This was followed by renditions of several commands and entertainment pieces. I could go into excruciating detail on this subject (believe me I can) but I’ll just give you the option of being sucked into or narrowly escaping that type of dissertation with this little link back to one of my earliest bonus features…

The Origins of Corps

Hummm…
To click, or not to click… that is the question.

(not such a tough decision really… just move along)

Next up: Bricks and Mortar

Thanks for the insallment Rob. Always enjoy reading about your endeavors in the historic times.

(Also the Monty Python references are fun too)

Where would we be without Business?
(and of course… sound and equitable business practices)

And trading mortgage derivatives? :rolleyes1

It was the modern students of William and Mary University down at the far end of the road there that shortened it to “Dog Street”. Six syllables is just entirely too many to have to worry over.

It's harder to send "Duke of Gloucester" in a text message too.

To convert it from path to road, the town conducted what might be the first documented condemnation proceeding in American history. In 1704 nd with the blessing of the House of Burgesses, the structures in question were purchased from one Col. John Page. The total amount of the transaction… five pounds sterling. Oh, and he got to keep all the bricks from the buildings after they were razed (and that’s monetarily more than you might think but I’ll come back to that latter on).

Let's hear it for highway engineering! This account doesn't mention the committee formed by the Council of Regents to produce a wetland mitigation study and prove no damage to the endangered mongoose population as a result of the road widening, or the scores of townfolk that stood by the side in storefronts complaining that the work was taking too long and explaining how it should have been done differently.

One of their number went so far at to accuse a local shopkeeper of hording flour to drive up the price.

Things haven't change at all. They just do it with gas now. :rolleyes1

All citizens in the town would be given the opportunity of signing a Loyalty Oath to the king. They even planned to bring it around to every house and business to save you the trouble of having to come to them.

What an opportunity! We also have a time-share in Boca Raton if you're interested.

Our first objective was to gain control of the pharmaceutical industry…

You have to go to Canada to do that.

The most common preparation sold at the time was just such a purgative that went by the common name of “Thunderbolt”. I can only imagine the effect that such a concoction might have on one’s innards.

This is the same ingredient they use in "Taco Bell" today.:thumbsup2

Lets say that you had incurred some unexpected debts or wanted to purchase the field adjacent to your land. You might pop in here and have the handles removed from a number of pieces and melted back into something more tradable (saving the fork tines and spoon bowls if possible because those took the most work to hammer and shape – and therefore cost more in commission). On the other hand you might have acquired new assets and decide to save them for the future by converting them into some amount of “Argent” and then have that flashy metal worked into some new serving pieces. It wasn’t uncommon to even have the handles on all your pieces shortened or lengthened depending on whether you were in need of cash or squirreling it away.

Wow. And here I thought stuffing cash into my mattress was sophisticated.

the Milliner’s shop. Now I knew that a milliner made and sold women’s hats and as such I wasn’t as interested in this stop at first as I ought to have been.

No, I think you had the right amount of interest.

Cattycornered across the street from there is a rebel encampment.

Rebel scum!

Once he had the entire rank working together like a well-oiled machine, he dismissed that corps of volunteers, and then rendered a proper demonstration of the “modern” flintlock rifle’s capabilities for the rest of the onlookers…

Yeah, you can have your hat shop. I'll stick around here.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter