I should’a taken that left in Albuquerque (Updated 8/16/13 Pg13)

But there was a little extra bonus feature tucked into those passes that we really hadn’t considered at first; access to Water Country USA (Code name: “Well Spring”). Since it was basically a freebee, we figured that it deserved at least a little bit of our time, so this morning was carved out for its exploration.

If it's free, it's for me!:thumbsup2

The first thing you’ll notice about this place is that it is build into the countryside rather then having replaced the countryside…

Always a good thing.

There are near a dozen major slides and attractions and several separate splash-n-play areas geared to various age groups. And yet the place feels intimate and at times even quiet.

Also a good thing.

One could easily spend a whole day here and probably two without deciding that you’d had enough.

Nothing wrong with a good water park in the summer. Looks like a nice one.

Not that they weren’t interested in seeing the recreations and demonstrations at Jamestown or Williamsburg, it’s just that those places offered up mere history. But this place had Roller Coasters!

If only the first settlers had built roller coasters, they would have conquered the land so much sooner!

First opened in May of 1975 this particular diversion covers 383 acres of rolling forested countryside and is consistently ranked as one of the most beautiful amusement parks in the US (and I’ll agree with that assessment). Originally named: ”Busch Gardens: The Old Country”, the general inspiration for all the architecture and design features are the hamlets and sights of Europe. The first place everyone hits upon arrival is storybook recreation of Elizabethan England…

Looking through the pictures, I'll give them props for the theming. Looks really well done.:thumbsup2

There is also a slightly separated area called “Festa Italia” that contains several carnie rides and a sizable collection of midway type games of chance (for an extra fee of course).

An extra fee? Bah! Humbug!

Next up: Entertaining the troops…
Dropping behind Enemy lines…

Ok...sounds good...

and the Great Communications Breakdown

Uh oh.

What we have here...is failure...to communicate.

Since it was basically a freebee, we figured that it deserved at least a little bit of our time, so this morning was carved out for its exploration. Being a bit of a side trip, I wouldn’t call this stop and “operation” as much as it was more of a “skirmish” (or was it a squabble?).
First of all... nothing is "free," but I get your point. :rolleyes1

And I'd call this more of a raid.

Now, “Water Country” (as the name would suggest), is a Water Park
(well duuuuh…)
Interesting. I thought it was a tour of a water bottling plant. :rolleyes1

The first thing you’ll notice about this place is that it is build into the countryside rather then having replaced the countryside…
Kind of like a certain theme park in the area. The people in that part of the country seem to have a knack for adapting to the land around them and using it rather than razing everything and starting over.

Water and (most) cameras don’t mix all that well (as I’ve learned the hard way on previous expeditions).
Didn't you bring any kind of waterproof bag to use on it? :rolleyes1

But this place had Roller Coasters!
And that's the bottom line!!!!!! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

“Apollo's Chariot” is a steal “hypercoaster” first opened in 1999. Hypercoasters follow a general “out-and-back” design but start off with an extremely high initial plunge and are designed primarily for speed. For this particular example, that first drop is 210 feet and the top speed is around 73 mph. On the official ten point Teenage-Guy-Scale (from here on to be referred to as the: TGS Rating) our young’ens gave this one a seven.
I've never ridden this one. I think our last trip there was when this was being built. I like the hypercoasters, but I like inversions and they tend to not have them. I think I'd still tend to gravitate toward Alpengeist.

It’s not that is wasn’t a great ride, its that they’ve ridden a slightly smoother and better version of it (in their opinion).
And that's another thing. Hypercoasters are almost of a cookie cutter variety. Some may be taller or faster or smoother, but they're all pretty much the same thing.

Now both of these “Hypers” are beat out by newer models in other parks, but is any case, the guys would recommend that the enthusiasts among you should definitely hit this one at least once (most will do it more then that).
And despite saying that I'm sure I'd prefer other coasters in the park, without a doubt I'd make sure to get a few rides on it! :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

Rob, just had to drop a line saying I've enjoyed reading along. Love hearing about different areas of our country.

However, this had to be said:
The most iconic sight in this area is a scaled down version of St. Stephen's Clock Tower (colloquially known as “Big Ben”)…

C04-312_zpsf33d5e27.jpg

Look kids, Big Ben, Parliament.

middlepat said:

I can't believe Mark and I both already replied and missed that set up. Nicely done!

If only the first settlers had built roller coasters, they would have conquered the land so much sooner!

:lmao:
Obviously they just didn’t have their priorities in order.

Looking through the pictures, I'll give them props for the theming. Looks really well done.:thumbsup2

It is very nicely done.
They spend a great deal of effort on maintaining the grounds and planting as well.

An extra fee? Bah! Humbug!
They don’t give away six feel stuffed teddy bears for nothing ya’ know.
Now as to just exactly why anyone would want to win such is something that I ain’t figured out yet.

Uh oh.

What we have here...is failure...to communicate.

You could say that…
more like and inability to communicate.
(but we’ll get to that recurring story line in a little bit)

First of all... nothing is "free," but I get your point. :rolleyes1

True, but had I bought the first two tickets separately, the total would have been more then we ended up paying for the triple ticket. Free? No, but for all intents and purposes, it was close enough.

And I'd call this more of a raid.

I get your point :rolleyes:

Interesting. I thought it was a tour of a water bottling plant. :rolleyes1

Knowing you’d get it wrong…
I felt the need to state the obvious here.
You’re welcome.
:rolleyes1

Kind of like a certain theme park in the area. The people in that part of the country seem to have a knack for adapting to the land around them and using it rather than razing everything and starting over.

Very much so. I certainly like that approach much better then the industry standard.

Didn't you bring any kind of waterproof bag to use on it? :rolleyes1

I almost put in a link back to that story here,
But I see that it doesn’t really need repeating at this point.

And yah… I deserved that one.
:headache:

And that's the bottom line!!!!!! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

And the top line and all the middle lines…
It’s hard to beat good coasters.

I've never ridden this one. I think our last trip there was when this was being built. I like the hypercoasters, but I like inversions and they tend to not have them. I think I'd still tend to gravitate toward Alpengeist.

As would I, but there’s another newer one that I’ll get to probably in the update after this next one that I suspect you’d move to the top of the list. The boys certainly did.

And that's another thing. Hypercoasters are almost of a cookie cutter variety. Some may be taller or faster or smoother, but they're all pretty much the same thing.
Again… yep.
I’m a fan of inversion and speed, but not all that enamored with freefalls.
Given a choice, I’ll take an inverted coaster every time.

And despite saying that I'm sure I'd prefer other coasters in the park, without a doubt I'd make sure to get a few rides on it! :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

I have no doubt of that either.
It is worth the ride, just not our groups favorite

Rob, just had to drop a line saying I've enjoyed reading along. Love hearing about different areas of our country.

Thanks for reading along and…

Nice catch sir

I can't believe Mark and I both already replied and missed that set up. Nicely done!

A fact that caught me a might off guard as well.
There so many ways to beat up on my writing that there’s no reason to miss the easy ones.

Y’all need to step it up there.

:rotfl2:

Chapter 4: The Peninsular Campaign

Operation: Old Country
(Shifting Battle Lines)​

1430 hours, 24 June, 2012
Strike Team Alpha - Short respite for RnR, aerial assault on objective: “Madhouse” the begin on the hour

Strike Team Bravo - moving through “Rhinefeld”, objective: “Autobahn” found to be inoperative, switching to Objective: “Specter”, entering higher elevations

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Entertaining the Troops

Wish I could find that whole episode somewhere for y’all.
One of the all time greats…

You’ll jut have to settle for a couple of snipits.

Well, back to TR reality then…
:sad2:

When last you foolishly ventured into this morass, we were making the climb up the fairly steep hillside of “Jack Hanna's Wild Reserve” during our invasion of Busch Gardens Williamsburg. I said that there were a couple of opportunities for “light” entertainment (and a rest after climbing the hill) in this part of the park. The first is a small amphitheater featuring a Dog and Pony Show. Actually… the ponies are kept elsewhere so for the record this is a dog, cat, rat, parrot and pig show. In either case the name that the folks at BG have offered up for this little bit of fluff is:

C04-332_zps7ca5bfe2.jpg

“More Pet Shenanigans’

There is a similar (and somewhat more elaborate) variation of this one being performed at the Sea World parks. Being as those folks are now the parent company for the BG parks… this makes sense. The show itself is pretty simple. Domestic pet type critters (all saved from rescue shelters) perform various tricks built into a loose story line set in a tiny village. There is some interaction for the little tikes and it’s all pretty enjoyable (even when things go wrong).

C04-333_zpsc911edd3.jpg

C04-334_zpse7ef0f5d.jpg

The other chance for a bit of animal interaction is an aviary and bird house located just behind this theater…

C04-335_zps2a1683f5.jpg

“Lorikeet Glen” is also designed with the young’ens in mind. There are a number of different species of tropical birds lounging around in here. They’re also quite use to having the public feed and interact with them so don’t be surprised to have one or two simply land on your arm or shoulder and expecting your undivided attention. Birdseed can be purchased on the way in and as far as the birds are concerned…

That’s the point.

C04-336_zps729f958a.jpg

We’ll that wraps up the “show” portion of today’s venture.

Must be time for the grand finale …

The Ghost of the Alps

Mom and Pop were simply happy to be wandering around the park taking in the atmosphere. We’d be coming back so there was plenty of time to get into things. The boys however were on a mission. They intended to jump on every coaster in turn as quick as possible and then go back and hit their favorites repeatedly until either they passed out or ran out of time. Having completed the objectives in Italy, they crossed “The Rhine” and stormed into Bavaria intent on hitting something that was new to the park. The problem was that when they got there, the attraction in question was down for repairs. That being the case, I’ll wait to tell y’all about that one. As I noted a second ago, we’d be coming back, so they simply moved on through the lowlands and into the Alps nearer to the French boarder.

C04-338_zpsc2b8bb22.jpg

This little Alpine village is just outside the gates of the official “Germany” section and is mostly made up of shops (including a rather cool sweetshop that includes a bank of various self serve pick-n-mix Icee Machines). But it is also the launch point for our next Coaster of the day…

C04-339_zps8c899070.jpg

Alpengeist

First unleashed in 1997, thematically, this is a runaway ski lift that has been taken over by the “Ghost of the Alps”. From an enthusiast’s perspective it’s known as an “Inverted Roller Coaster”. In the coaster trade this type has the train running under the track with the seats directly attached to the wheel carriage.

C04-340_zps2909196b.jpg

That last attribute also sets it apart from the older style of “Suspended Coaster”, which runs under the track, but is enclosed and "swings" via a pivoting bar attached to the wheel carriage. There use to be a variant of that type here as well called: “The Big Bad Wolf” but that has since been retired. Another difference for this type is that the passengers' legs, rather than arms are exposed giving it the reversed or inverted orientation implied by the name. This type has become one of the industry standards and there are now scores of them to be found through out the world of theme parks including “Raptor” at Cedar Point and “Dragon Challenge” at Universal’s Islands of Adventure (there is also one of these jewels at my hometown park of Carowinds called “Afterburn” [Formally: “Top Gun”] that is themed as a fighter jet flight and is my personal favorite coaster… so far). The tallest of all of them though is this one here at BG standing at 195 feet. If you like being twisted and turned and inverted (and in a hurry), this is the type for you. Other common components include vertical loops, zero gravity rolls, Immelmann loops, cobra rolls, and corkscrews.

For the guys… that’s two down, three to go.
With a new objective on their scopes, they headed into France.

C04-341_zpsf94b591c.jpg

Oh yah… the fell’as gave it a “TGS Rating” of 8. Very good, but like I said, we got one of these bad boys at home and we’ve all ridden it more times that I could possibly count or even remember. Were that not true, I suspect a 9 would have been applied and y’all ought to judge it that way.

Bottom line: ride this one…
often.

Storming the “Kastle”

Time to take to the skies. The BG Skyway runs a triangular route covering the three most distant points of the original park. England to France, France to Germany and Germany back to England. We had made it to outskirts of France by now and decided that this would make for a good way to get to the next thing on our agenda and let us take a good picture or two while we were at it. As such, we boarded gondola 37 and began winging our way toward Bavaria…

C04-342_zpsa3e7df08.jpg

On this leg of the journey, you first head smack through the middle of the park’s newest coaster (which I’ll tell you about later on). I like that they built the newest attraction so that it surrounds part of one of the oldest attractions. It also offered an interesting perspective when one of the ride trains started on its run and twisted and dived all around us.

C04-343_zps1c425f67.jpg

Continuing on… that’s the “Immelmann loop” at the far end of the Alpengeist. The yellow serpent in the background there is now officially the park’s oldest major coaster. We’ll save the details on that one for later on as well.

C04-344_zpsad28c388.jpg

Lastly, there’s a little bit of a fairly expansive tree house themed kiddy play area called “Land of Dragons”. Right after that fly-over we touched down in “Rhinefeld”; a perfect landing well behind enemy lines.

Here’s the tactical map for this section of the park to help you get your bearings...

C04-345_zps9799019c.jpg

The Skyway put us down in the midst of one of BG’s several kiddy lands. Aside from that big interactive playground (which gets most of the attention as you might expect), there are a number of scaled down carnie and boardwalk type rides including the oldest bit of equipment in the park: a vintage 1919 Herschell an d Co. Carousel…

C04-346_zpscc751a6d.jpg

Nicely settled into the landscape eh?
Obviously that‘s not why we were here. No, we were headed for something that “looked” to be much older…

C04-347_zps44d73416.jpg

Curse of DarKastle

Part haunted house, part motion simulator, all 3D thrill ride; this one is a definite winner. First off, the themeing is excellent from one end to the other. You enter the queue in the courtyard of a sixteenth century castle nestled in the Black Forest.

C04-348_zpsaa2bbe05.jpg

But this fortress is cursed and has been frozen in time since “Prince Ludwig” went off his rocker and massacred all the local nobles. The statues of wolves through out the queue area and the castle entrance are a clue to what denizens await you once you enter…

C04-349_zpsb22b5297.jpg

This highly rated dark ride combines 3D video projection effects with a roving motion-simulating vehicle disguised as a “Golden Sleigh”. Immediately the ghost of Ludwig’s mother warns you that you need to turn back, but it’s already too late. Now you’ve no choice but to race for your life as you attempt to escape form the ghost of the mad prince. Or is he now something even more then just a specter?

C04-350_zps0c3e269f.jpg

This one is a must see and holds up well. Even when compared to similar offerings at much larger and far more famous parks. We would hit this attraction several times during our time here and I’d go back partly just to ride it again.

Bravo Team… status report… over…
Repeat… Bravo Team… check in… over…

After we had made the journey trough the haunted castle, it dumped us out in the middle of the second of the parks midway and gaming area…

C04-351_zps5d8ba0d7.jpg

The games are the standard fair for regional amusement parks, but the chance encounter with BG’s Oom Pah band set it apart from the other’s I’ve encountered. It’s nice to see that at least in this park, the powers that be haven’t yet given up on live musicians. And these fellows were very skilled and very entertaining.

From here we headed for our prearranged rendezvous point:
the main fountain in the middle of “Germany”…

C04-352_zpsc7d3ba18.jpg

Again, very nice themeing.

C04-353_zps385652d3.jpg

We had agreed to meet here at around 17:00 and then get into some dinner before heading back out in the park. Zero hour came and went and the boys were still AWOL. I sent a communiqué to “T-Bone” requesting a status update and was meet with nothing but static (OK, it was just a text, but still we heard nada back from him). We repeated the process a couple of times and continued to get the same nothing in return. As a back up, we sent the same message to “Highlander” to see if we could get any kind of response from the strike team. He picked up on it almost immediately and said that they were next in the queue for their current coaster conquest and then they’d be headed our way.

Well we had an answer to the question of “where are you”, but not the one where our son wasn’t answering. As it turns out, he wasn’t being insolent. Nope, it was that he couldn’t answer us any more; at least not electronically. Electronic devises have an uncanny knack of failing you at just the wrong time, but this was a different situation. In this instance, the modern technology had run smack into an ancient and unstoppable force.

Gravity…

Next up: Mythological monsters that eat cell phones
and a little bit of dinner

smileyeatinghamburger.gif

Well, back to TR reality then…
:sad2:
Odd... I'm using the TR to avoid reality, actually. :rotfl2:

There is some interaction for the little tikes and it’s all pretty enjoyable (especially when things go wrong).
Fixed your typo.

The other chance for a bit of animal interaction is an aviary and bird house located just behind this theater…
I enjoy seeing the colors that birds have to display and hearing their song. But I just don't have much interest in walking around in a cage with them perched above me. I see what happens to my truck when I park it under a tree. :rolleyes1:lmao:

Birdseed can be purchased on the way in and as far as the birds are concerned…

That’s the point.
And if not... well just watch that Hitchcock movie.

There use to be a variant of that type here as well called: “The Big Bad Wolf” but that has since been retired. Another difference for this type is that the passengers' legs, rather than arms are exposed giving it the reversed or inverted orientation implied by the name. This type has become one of the industry standards and there are now scores of them to be found through out the world of theme parks including “Raptor” at Cedar Point and “Dragon Challenge” at Universal’s Islands of Adventure (there is also one of these jewels at my hometown park of Carowinds called “Afterburn” [Formally: “Top Gun”] that is themed as a fighter jet flight and is my personal favorite coaster… so far).
Your Top Gun must be much better than Kings Islands. That one was more like Big Bad Wolf. Only much shorter and not quite as good, but still a fun, fast coaster.

It is a shame that Big Bad Wolf is gone. That one was a fun coaster. It was very well themed, and it seemed as if the hills and valleys of the coaster were really just following the contours of the actual hills and valleys. There was a village that you zig zagged through along the way. It was just well themed and a lot of fun.

Oh yah… the fell’as gave it a “TGS Rating” of 8. Very good, but like I said, we got one of these bad boys at home and we’ve all ridden it more times that I could possibly count or even remember. Were that not true, I suspect a 9 would have been applied and y’all ought to judge it that way.

Bottom line: ride this one…
often.
I've been on bigger coasters, faster coasters, and coasters that flip you around more. I've got to say that this one combines all the elements I love, including some really good theming which sets it over the top. I give it a 10 and I'd have to put it in my Top 5 favorite coasters anywhere.

Although if I were to actually list my top 5 coasters, it would probably turn into something similar to a Lou Mongello Top 10 podcast. :rotfl2::rotfl:

Nessie!!!!:thumbsup2

I really, really, really need to get back to this park, and soon. Seeing the pictures just kind of drives home the point that BG Williamsburg is so much better than the one in Tampa.

This one is a must see and holds up well. Even when compared to similar offerings at much larger and far more famous parks. We would hit this attraction several times during our time here and I’d go back partly just to ride it again.
Looks awesome. I'm guessing that's not one you'd take the kids into though... :rolleyes1

Well we had an answer to the question of “where are you”, but not the one where our son wasn’t answering.
That's just how you handle a nagging parent. He clearly wasn't ready to go and wanted to continue riding coasters. :thumbsup2

As it turns out, he wasn’t being insolent. Nope, it was that he couldn’t answer us any more; at least not electronically.
That's what he wants you to think...

In this instance, the modern technology had run smack into an ancient and unstoppable force.

Gravity…
Hmmm... I'm guessing phones and gravity mix about as well as cameras and water. :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Odd... I'm using the TR to avoid reality, actually. :rotfl2:

The internet provides very little reality in the first place.
Seems to me you could do better
:lmao:

Fixed your typo.
Appreciate the assistance there. :thumbsup2

I enjoy seeing the colors that birds have to display and hearing their song. But I just don't have much interest in walking around in a cage with them perched above me. I see what happens to my truck when I park it under a tree. :rolleyes1:lmao:

The truck’s a bigger target, but the result is always a possibility.

And if not... well just watch that Hitchcock movie.
Now there’s a much better reason for skippin’ this one
(that and the fact that there isn’t a roller coaster in the middle of the aviary)
:rotfl2:

Your Top Gun must be much better than Kings Islands. That one was more like Big Bad Wolf. Only much shorter and not quite as good, but still a fun, fast coaster.

I've been on bigger coasters, faster coasters, and coasters that flip you around more. I've got to say that this one combines all the elements I love, including some really good theming which sets it over the top. I give it a 10 and I'd have to put it in my Top 5 favorite coasters anywhere.

Although if I were to actually list my top 5 coasters, it would probably turn into something similar to a Lou Mongello Top 10 podcast. :rotfl2::rotfl:
The one down here is a near twin to the BG coaster and that will give you a clue as to why it’s my favorite as well (and… for precisely the same reasons you listed). It got the “Top Gun” name back when first built and Paramount Pictures owned our park and both of the “Kings” parks. The name made more sense for the one down here though. After Cedar Fair bought out Paramount’s interest in CW, KD & KI, all the movie and television property names had to go, but I think “Afterburn” is a bit week, so I still just call it “The Gun”.

And if you’re in the park…
You must ride The Gun
(over and over and over….)

It is a shame that Big Bad Wolf is gone. That one was a fun coaster. It was very well themed, and it seemed as if the hills and valleys of the coaster were really just following the contours of the actual hills and valleys. There was a village that you zig zagged through along the way. It was just well themed and a lot of fun.

I’ll talk a lot more about what replaced the Wolf at BG later on but you’ll be glad to know that the new attraction pays proper homage to its forbearer and reuses some of its beloved elements.

Nessie!!!!:thumbsup2

I really, really, really need to get back to this park, and soon. Seeing the pictures just kind of drives home the point that BG Williamsburg is so much better than the one in Tampa.

Yes you do (and so do I).
Have you considered switching you’re beach trip for a return to VA? :rolleyes1

Looks awesome. I'm guessing that's not one you'd take the kids into though... :rolleyes1

Those under about 5 years might have a problem depending on the young’en. The first time you ride it, all the sensory overload adds to the potential fear level as well. Successive rides after that and it just starts to get fun (and the story line may start to seem a might campy after about three rides), but it’s always a lot of fun to roll through this one. The BG folks have been very good about putting quality attractions into this park.

That's just how you handle a nagging parent. He clearly wasn't ready to go and wanted to continue riding coasters. :thumbsup2

And we considered that possibility. Not a bad choice necessarily, but then again we were just about to have dinner without them (and leaving them to pay for whatever they wanted out of their pockets) when his friend saved his bacon (so to speak).

That's what he wants you to think...

We’ve got verifiable proof of the loss.
I’ll get to how that came about latter on as well.

Hmmm... I'm guessing phones and gravity mix about as well as cameras and water. :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

I’ll let you keep takin’ shots at that one. I deserve as much.

We both made the mistake of trusting an inferior secondary product.

Yes you do (and so do I).
Have you considered switching you’re beach trip for a return to VA? :rolleyes1
Considered, considering, will continue to consider. Ain't gonna happen. :rolleyes:

I have, however, considered the fact that we would be in the general vicinity of the second tier BG in Tampa. Based on the trusty information at Google and the roundabout way I'd have to drive there, it turns into almost an 800 mi, 12 hour round trip... but you can draw a nice straight line through the blue on the map.

Any idea how much gas a jetski tank will hold? :confused3:scratchin

Considered, considering, will continue to consider. Ain't gonna happen. :rolleyes:

I have, however, considered the fact that we would be in the general vicinity of the second tier BG in Tampa. Based on the trusty information at Google and the roundabout way I'd have to drive there, it turns into almost an 800 mi, 12 hour round trip... but you can draw a nice straight line through the blue on the map.

Any idea how much gas a jetski tank will hold? :confused3:scratchin

You’d have to tow a barge full of fuel behind you.

Thought about recommending a trip to the Big Easy to drown your sorrows on Bourbon Street, but that’s near the same distance in the other direction from Panama City.

Seems like commandeering someone else’s luxury yacht might be the best solution.

pirate:

“More Pet Shenanigans’

Not their most creative day at the office, was it?

There are a number of different species of tropical birds lounging around in here. They’re also quite use to having the public feed and interact with them so don’t be surprised to have one or two simply land on your arm or shoulder and expecting your undivided attention.

If not, they'll leave a souvenir on your shoulder.:crazy2:

If you like being twisted and turned and inverted (and in a hurry), this is the type for you. Other common components include vertical loops, zero gravity rolls, Immelmann loops, cobra rolls, and corkscrews.

And barf bags. Lots of barf bags.

I like that they built the newest attraction so that it surrounds part of one of the oldest attractions.

That is a pretty cool idea.

This highly rated dark ride combines 3D video projection effects with a roving motion-simulating vehicle disguised as a “Golden Sleigh”. Immediately the ghost of Ludwig’s mother warns you that you need to turn back, but it’s already too late. Now you’ve no choice but to race for your life as you attempt to escape form the ghost of the mad prince. Or is he now something even more then just a specter?

Now this sounds like something my kids will love...in another 20 years.:rotfl2:

He picked up on it almost immediately and said that they were next in the queue for their current coaster conquest and then they’d be headed our way.

Parents...roller coaster...that's a tough one.:confused3

Electronic devises have an uncanny knack of failing you at just the wrong time, but this was a different situation. In this instance, the modern technology had run smack into an ancient and unstoppable force.

Gravity…

:eek:

We’re officially headed back to Disney this evening
:goodvibes

so I’ll be gone for a little while. :worried:

But I did want to get one more update out here before we left. To save time, I’ll come back and respond to the last few post after I get back, but in the mean time… here’s another update that you can attack.

So have at it there mates!
pirate:

Operation: Old Country
(The Evening Engagements)​

1800 hours, 24 June, 2012
Strike teams successfully linked up completing encirclement of hostile forces, scouring area for provisions. Evening operations will commence once provisions have been procured.​

Chow Time

(too bad I can’t find the whole version of that one)

An army travels on it stomach.

This is common knowledge and the need for provisions has actually dictated the exact time and location of many of historically important conflicts. Making do with what’s at hand has also had huge effects on cuisine and even culture. Both of these observations would be played out during the next phase of the operation.

Specifically the phase known as….

Dinner

It had been a long and full day thus far and by now we’d all come to be in need of a bit of sustenance. Not a problem. Like all tourist specific destinations, there was no shortage of victuals available for the taking (so long as you had the cash on hand because actually taking is still frowned upon in most situations). In so much as we’d basically been snacking up until now all involved were in agreement that what we now wanted was an actual meal of sorts and a nice air-conditioned place in which to consume it. The single largest spot at BG that fits that bill just happens to be mere steps away from where we were currently standing (imagine that).

C04-362_zps14e90822.jpg

One of the corners of the Germany section of BG-W is an area designated as “Oktoberfest” and as you’d expect, it has a less Alpine feel and more of a Bavarian vibe. Here’s the tactical read out on this sector…

C04-363_zpsaff0ab1d.jpg

You’ll notice that we’ve actually already been here as it’s where DarKastle is actually located, but the thing that was garnering out attention at this moment was the other large structure in that rendering. This place…

C04-364_zps29794a1a.jpg

Das Festhaus

This is far and away the largest dinning establishment in the park with a massive communal dinning hall surrounded by different kitchen areas and boosting a large stage set smack in the middle.

C04-365_zpsaf27c31a.jpg

had to borrow that picture… I was too busy eating to remember to take one)

It is most certainly festive. There are several kitchen stations surrounding the main hall and you can find one spot selling pizza and another selling some more kid friendly fair, but the main spot for acquiring grub was offering items that were generally far more Germanic in “flavor” (at least stereotypically so)…

C04-366_zps89e33828.jpg

On their own web site, Bush Gardens lists the offering here as follows…

Das Festhaus Menu

Authentic German Sausages
Mile High Corned Beef Sandwich
Hand Carved Turkey Sandwich
Cheese and Pepperoni Pizza
Turkey Entree Salad
Turkey and Ham Club Wrap
Child's Hot Dog
Chicken Nuggets

Macarroni and Cheese
Red Cabbage
German Potato Salad
French Fries
Mozzarella Sticks

Mixed Green Salad
Fresh Fruit

Assorted Desserts

Assorted Coca-Cola Products, Iced Tea, Fruit Punch
Lemonade Coffee, Milk, Water, Hot Chocolate

Beer on Draught

Personally, I went for the “German Sampler” (along with a rather fine dark ale to wash it down with, of course) and it was quite good. The boys just went for the ribs alone and the boss had the kitchen staff put some of that freshly roasted turkey together in the form of a club sandwich. The sandwiches aren’t listed on the big board but they’ve got ‘em and you can also mix and match with turkey, roast beef, black-forest ham and your choice of topping and condiments.

Being as the spoils of this campaign were consumed rather rapidly, there is no “food porn” in this instance to entice you. The folks at BG-W were quite happy however to supply their own advertising image as a good substitute though…

C04-367_zps7b69c7f1.jpg

That’s actually the “Farmers Feast” which is basically everything on the main menu plopped down on one plate. The roasted chicken, I didn’t try, but I suspect that it’s not bad either.

The other thing being offered in this dinning hall is entertainment. Periodically during the day there is a live performance on that center stage of a production titled: “Entwined". It hits all the visual and musical cues that you expect in a German themed musical and incorporates the Grimm Brothers' most famous fairy tales as well. When we arrived they were just finishing up a showing and unfortunately for us, the next one didn’t begin until after we’d finished dinner and headed back out into the park. I’ll have to make a point to catch that one the next time we’re up that-a-way.

After dinner we took the boys with us back over to the “DarKastle” and they promptly awarded it a TGR of a solid 9.5. at which point we divided our forces once again and sent the commandos back out into the country side…

C04-368_zps7c1a38df.jpg

While the senior staff went back and stormed the “Kastle” for a third time.

You could say that we rather enjoyed that one.

Aquitaine

During dinner our commando unit was regaling us with the details of their successful search and destroy mission. In particular they told us of a mythical beast that had recently taken up residence and now pretty much controls all of France. Well… all of France as it exists with in the confines of Bush Gardens at least. Anyway, given that they had declared this monster to be the de facto ruler of the entire park we figured that we’d go take a look. So off to France we went…

C04-369_zps5d28e880.jpg

Of course, at BG-W, one travels from Germany to France either via air (as you’ve already seen), or on the ground via the extraordinarily round-a-bout method of first traversing “New France”. Given that this trick requires both expertise in time travel and a biblical ability to tread ever so lightly upon the waters of the Atlantic, that’s no small trick. But in this universe, the continental drift took place rather differently so it wasn’t all that tough. The lay of the land in this part of the park looks something like this…

C04-370_zps972a57e7.jpg

We may have started out in “New France”, but I’ll be saving the discussion for that section for a bit later on in the proceedings. Instead we headed directly into the more provincial part of the France and then directly to… the Ice Cream shop (hay first things first ya’ know). After that we sought out the Monster which the boys had been on about the whole time…

C04-371_zps05f87fc0.jpg

The Griffon

This is BG-W’s newest coaster and as you might have guess by now, scored a perfect “10” on the TGS (according to our resident experts that is). This is also a fairly new category within the coaster genera known as a “Dive Coaster”. These are a combination of the now classic “Steel Coaster” and in most cases a “Floorless Coaster”. It also generally contains one other significant and unique aspect. If you take a look at the business end of The Griffon here, you’ll pretty quickly notice that new aspect…

C04-372_zps88d5f020.jpg

Watch that first step… it’s a doozy.

A ninety-degree free fall from 205 feet is what draws the riders back to this ride over and over again. The boys were certainly hypnotized by the prospect as they road this one nearly two dozen times across our stay in Williamsburg. Here’s a look at the second breaking station into a nearly vertical second drop and the water feature finale that replaces the more common third breaking station.

C04-373_zps60ccc6d9.jpg

I’ll run through all that stuff in a moment, but first let’s talk about that first plunge…
what say?

First off, this bad boy uses a “Floorless” ride vehicle so you’re really just sitting out in the open with nothing else surrounding you. Except the other passengers that is. This “car” seats three rows of ten across rather then the normal two or three in a long train. What that means to you is that the experience and types of forces applied on the ride vary depending on where one is seated. So much so, that some folks will offer to “buy” your seat from you in order to be is their favorite spot on the ride (true story… one fool actually paid one of the boys ten bucks to swap seats with him). The second and third rows are also raised “stadium style’ to ensure that those folks get a similar view. This view to be exact…

C04-374_zps4ebeff09.jpg

Well the reverse of it anyway being as I was on the ground look up at them while they were frozen in time and space. That’s the other bit of terror this coaster offers: anticipation. It rolls the car right up to the edge of the drop, tilts it over so that you are left hanging in the harness and staring straight down and then comes to a complete stop.

Yep… a dead stop.

It holds you there motionless in space for about five seconds and the like cutting the cable on an elevator… (sorry ‘bout that Mark)… drops you straight down.

C04-375_zpsb3a9893c.jpg

Physics in action.

You accelerate at a rate of 32.2 feet per second…. Squared.

As the car pulls put of that dive and heads for the first immelman loop you’re moving at about 70 mph. The car then take the loop, reverses direction and twists and turns up into to the second breaking station. This time it doesn’t stop be simply drops you straight into the second near vertical dive and on toward a second immelman reverse. The last element of the ride is the plunge…

C04-376_zps8f0ca491.jpg

The riders don’t get wet, but as the car heads down toward the water beneath the coaster it sure looks like they will. The car has a couple of odd looking open-ended boxes built onto either side of the back. These are low enough to have one end immersed as it passes through this section of track and the speed causes it to through up a very impressive rooster-tail out behind it. This also works to help slow the ride down somewhat for its return back to the loading station.

If you’d like to see how it looks from the perspective of the rider…
Then someone out there in YouTube-Land was quite kind enough to oblige you…

Enjoy!!

Oh… one more thing about that first drop. If you have a cell phone one you, I recommend that you make sure it is securely stowed. Somewhere say, like in a pocket with a closed flap or some other spot more secure then just the loose pocket on a pair of silky nylon shorts. Otherwise you may well be conducting additional experiments on the effects of gravity in relation to you own personal property. We’re pretty sure that it’s right about here that Max and his basic means of communicating with the outside world were forcibly separated. We did report the situation to the lost and found department, who said that they’d let us know if it turned up. At that point we also learned that this was a relatively common occurrence among patrons of The Griffon.

You have been warned.

Once around the Park

Day two of the journey and day one at Bush Gardens were just about concluded at this point. We didn’t get into much else that I’m going to go on about in detail right now. But as the sun was headed down below the horizon we did take advantage of one other signature offering at this park; a ride on one of their steam trains…

C04-378_zps8e750a04.jpg

There are three of them and the engine pulling the one we caught is based on a 4-4-0 tank-engine that is fairly common throughout Europe. The trains run on a two mile loop that encircles the park…

C04-379_zps1600de4e.jpg

To make the circuit, we hopped aboard at the stations in “New France”. From there it heads back by the continental version of “France”…

C04-380_zpsafd47736.jpg

and then on toward “Scotland”. The next station is in “Italy”. After that stop it crosses into some of the prettiest country in the park by crossing the “Rhine River” headed toward “Germany”…

C04-381_zpsabb397f8.jpg

C04-382_zps6fc43caa.jpg

C04-383_zpse1e97c57.jpg

We made the passage all the way around and then one more third of the way back to the Scotland Station. Form there it’s a short walk to the main entrance and then the ride back to the hotel.

A very successful first day was now in the books. Personally, I was rather tuckered and every thing seem just a little bit hazy and slightly out of focus. A little like this last picture of the day…

C04-384_zpsb0c5499c.jpg

That one won’t win awards, but it does make the point. It also shows as best as I can with the images that I have to work with just how this park is as beautiful during the evening hours and it is during the day. Maybe even more so.

We’d done and seen much and we’d be back soon enough.
But first, there were other objectives that needed to be taken.

Next up: An all out assault on the capitol.

We’re officially headed back to Disney this evening
:goodvibes

so I’ll be gone for a little while. :worried:

But I did want to get one more update out here before we left. To save time, I’ll come back and respond to the last few post after I get back, but in the mean time… here’s another update that you can attack.

So have at it there mates!
pirate:

Have fun storming the castle! Hope it's a great trip.

I'm actually getting ready to leave myself, so I don't have time to properly heckle your newest chapter. Which is a shame, because that Griffon ride just looks like so much....fun. Yeah, that's it. Anyway, I'll catch you on the flip side.

Ok, I'm being lazy on this one. You're in Disney World and I'm not, so I just have a hard time trying to make myself care enough to multi-quote and come up with witty put downs.

I do think the Griffon looks fun. Still not sure I'd place it above Alpengeist though, to be quite honest. They have a coaster in Tampa that I've ridden called Sheikra, that is very similar to the Griffon... maybe just a bit shorter in height (200'), inversions (1) and length. It was fun, but aside from the drop... meh. :confused3 This one might be a lot better if it is longer and has some more inversions. I'll definitely need to get over there and give it a chance myself.

Now Kings Island has one of those coasters that has a 200'+ 90 degree drop, but it is under the hypercoaster classification. It is considerably longer and is a lot of fun to ride, but I still prefer a coaster that has more inversions.

Ironically, that coaster at Kings Island also has several warning signs about securing loose objects. And if that isn't enough, there's a huge plexi-glass box that you walk past in the queue. It is filled with hundreds of busted cell phones that have been recovered from under the tracks and serve as a warning to hammer the point home. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Now really... be honest. How did all of you really feel about Darkastle??? :confused3

Oh... and I think it would have been tempting to eat dinner at that place labeled "Pretzels and Beer" on the map. :thumbsup2 :drinking1

Have fun storming the castle! Hope it's a great trip.

Not to worry… we did.
And I’ll be starting a new TR on that in the near

Which also means that this one will become even slower in terms of updates offered…
I can sense the disappointment. :rolleyes:

I'm actually getting ready to leave myself, so I don't have time to properly heckle your newest chapter. Which is a shame, because that Griffon ride just looks like so much....fun. Yeah, that's it.

You’d enjoy it I’m sure :lmao:

Looking forwards to the Hawaii TR.
I won’t be missing that one.

Ok, I'm being lazy on this one. You're in Disney World
and I'm not, so I just have a hard time trying to make myself care enough to multi-quote and come up with witty put downs.

Fair enough
(but it does set a precedent that I may now follow).

I do think the Griffon looks fun. Still not sure I'd place it above Alpengeist though, to be quite honest. They have a coaster in Tampa that I've ridden called Sheikra, that is very similar to the Griffon... maybe just a bit shorter in height (200'), inversions (1) and length. It was fun, but aside from the drop... meh. :confused3 This one might be a lot better if it is longer and has some more inversions. I'll definitely need to get over there and give it a chance myself.

I still agree with you (believe it of not).
Sheikra is a twin so they’re really pretty much an identical experience.

But you still need to get back out there at some point.

Now Kings Island has one of those coasters that has a 200'+ 90 degree drop, but it is under the hypercoaster classification. It is considerably longer and is a lot of fun to ride, but I still prefer a coaster that has more inversions.

Ironically, that coaster at Kings Island also has several warning signs about securing loose objects. And if that isn't enough, there's a huge plexi-glass box that you walk past in the queue. It is filled with hundreds of busted cell phones that have been recovered from under the tracks and serve as a warning to hammer the point home. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

That’s a great idea.
My son would still have ignored the warning…
But it’s a great idea.

Now really... be honest. How did all of you really feel about Darkastle??? :confused3

Ehhh… it was mildly entertaining…

You buyin’ that one?

Oh... and I think it would have been tempting to eat dinner at that place labeled "Pretzels and Beer" on the map. :thumbsup2 :drinking1

Also a good choice if you’re in a hurry.
Never got around to getting a pretzel, but the beer I had with dinner was mighty fine.

Phase-3

C04-401_zps0cdf4c4e.jpg

Operation: Tinder Box​

0930 hours, 25 June, 2012
Takeover of the capitol underway, currently infiltrating the legislative facilities, given the area’s history for conflagration, all units have been advised to use extreme care to ensure that all assets are taken intact.​

There is a lot of very well preserved history throughout the U.S. although some of it is preserved through folk tale and even outright myth…

not to mention abject misconception, as illustrated in this little bit of animation here…

But far more of that history actually is made up of physical artifacts that can actually be touched or at least seen with your own eyes. Most of that type of history is well protected and maintained in the myriad of museums that dot the landscape. But some bits of physical history are just too large to be contained inside a building. Say something like… a building (although there are exceptions to even that rule)

Williamsburg is chock full of such historical edifices and the official “Colonial Williamsburg” section of town also known as “Old Town” is ground zero for experiencing these fine vintage structures.

C04-403_zpsa149c75f.jpg

Well, sort’a…

Actually, some of them aren’t quite as “vintage” as one might at first believe, although they all certainly convey the feel and practical aspects of real places from a bygone era. It’s a little bit like the way that Disney conveys a feel for the Mid-America of about 1904 with their Main Street USA sections of the MK and DL parks. You are imeadiatly immersed and you quickly accept what you are seeing and experiencing, but maybe it’s just a little bit too clean… a little too polished… Take for instance one of the first major structures we would encounter. It’s over three hundred years old yet construction was begun and completed in 1930s. Even when you use “new math”… that don’t quit add up.

So what’s up with these discrepancies in chronology?

And what do a determined Reverend and an entrepreneur with an image problem have to do with it?

And just how many times can a building burn to the ground and still exist?

And just how is it that a fairly new historical structure can be so old that the historical folks who’s actions are being commemorated within it are themselves too young to have been inside the building in the first place?

And so if nothing is what it seems, then just what is it that we are actually experiencing here anyway?

And then there’s this painful question: is this chapter actually a chapter or is it a dreaded bonus feature in disguise?

Confused yet?

Wait… it gets worse from here.
Actually, it gets better, but you still have to read my writing, so that’s the “worse” part of the equation I was on about. Either way, it’s time to get crackin’…

The Second Capitol

C04-404_zps07340fe8.jpg

Monday morning we were up with the dawn and after taking full advantage of the offerings in the Hampton’s complimentary mess hall, we were off on the next mission. Today the objective was to actually spend some time in the historical part of Williamsburg, so we headed back to the Visitors center (where the parking in plentiful and free). From there it was just a matter of catching one of those time-machine-bus type contraptions and having it take us right back to the spot where we’d previously ended our first sortie into the Colonial Capitol…

C04-405_zps2ee47990.jpg

…the bus stop on Waller St. at the far eastern side of the Old Town.

Williamsburg differs from most other living history museums in that anyone can walk through the historic district free of charge at any hour of the day and even enter any of the retail shops or restaurants (if you have reservations that is). However, if you want to get inside the historic buildings, or attend any of the scheduled performances, then you need a pass. Not a problem, passes we already had, so off we went. The plan was to start off by spending some time exploring the Capitol Building and then work our way from this sector back through town. But first we encountered this very simple structure…

C04-406_zps4ab7acde.jpg

That is the Presbyterian Meetinghouse. Interestingly, it’s not referred to as a “church” and that is partly because prior to the revolution, the only “legal” church in Virginia was the Church of England. The locals weren’t quite as strict about that as Parliament was back in the Mother County though. Just call it a meetinghouse and then you can discuss anything you want to discuss during those meetings.

Also note the “Union Jack” displayed in front of the building. That tells you that it is part of the historical display in the old town and also that you need a pass to get inside. Generally, when you see one, it’s a call that there’s something there that needs top be checked out.

The simplicity you can see in the structure of the Meetinghouse reflected the values of the Presbyterians at the time and it was carried on throughout the spare interior as well…

C04-407_zps02ade00c.jpg

At different times of the day there are interpreters in period dress stationed throughout the Old Town that will answer questions or even act out a part. But there were none stationed here at the time so our guest soldier decided to make a guest appearance as a guest speaker at the pulpit. The boy is far less camera shy then the rest of my family so he actually ends up in more of my pictures then my own son. That’s not favoritism; it’s just the nature of the two young’ens being displayed for posterity.

From there we followed the map from right to left and ended up at one of the structures that we really wanted to explore in depth…

C04-408_zps3b191920.jpg

…the Capitol Building.

There were a series of benches sitting in the shade in front of the south entrance to the capitol. We figured that the folks gathering there were waiting for the next tour to begin and decided to wait with them. Sitting is good (it was going to be a long day) and shade was even better (even this early in the day, the prevalent mixture of heat and humidity was turning the air quite “Southern”). Not long after we joined the crowd an interpreter did indeed appear and begin to engage the group…

C04-409_zps64a7eea3.jpg

He was very knowledgeable and rather entertaining to listen too. You can always tell when your’ listening to someone that not only knows what they’re talking about, but absolutely loves to share that knowledge as well. After a bit of introduction, he then led us up to the portico at the center of the Capitol and into the chamber on the right-hand side where we were invited to take out seats as honorary members to the House of Burgesses…

C04-410_zps58237abc.jpg

Both a very grand room and a simply designed and appointed space (features common in eighteenth-century colonial buildings; a display of craftsmanship over ostentation). Here we were seated along the same benches where founding fathers discussed the concerns of independence and delivered iconic speeches devoted to liberty and revolution…

C04-411_zpsd95f3699.jpg

”Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”​

Except that speech wasn’t delivered here. That one was presented during a meeting of Colony delegates at Saint John's Church up the road in Richmond.

Ok… then how about Patrick’s earlier and equally noteworthy “Brutus” speech…

C04-412_zpscd421312.jpg

"Caesar had his Brutus; Charles the First his Cromwell; and George the Third ....may he profit by their example. If this be treason, make the most of it!"​

Well, actually… it’s not quite that straight forward. First off, since no notes were taken at either assembly, there’s no proof that either quote is precise as uttered or if they were embellished after the fact by historians and biographers. It is certain that mister Henry was passionate and that he made his points with great vigor though. It is also true that he did deliver that second speech I listed before the House of Burgesses and on this very spot, but not exactly “here”…

Say what?

OK history time (that’s your queue to run screaming into the night).

A History of Combustion

As you learned from my previous chapters, Williamsburg was not the original capitol of Virginia. That was Jamestown, which was having a rough go of it at first. To succeed, the business concern that ruled over the colony realized that they needed to get more folks to settle there. After some time, they realized that accomplishing that would necessitate some rather radical notions like allowing folks own the land and even to have a say in their governance (while still maintaining ultimate veto power for themselves of course). To that end a representative body was elected from among the colonists and it first met in the town’s church in 1619 (twelve years after first landing). Shortly after its formation a meetinghouse for said “Burgesses” was built. Unfortunately it burned down not long after construction…

C04-413_zpsb60e0460.jpg

Fires happen… especially where fireplaces exist (that’s one reason kitchens were generally built separate from living quarters for many years). Not a problem… they just erected another one… Which later burned as well… After this same scenario of loosing the capitol to fire was played out for the forth time (yes I said: “fourth”), they’d had enough and took the opportunity to solve some other problems as well by moving temporarily to “Middle Plantation”. This was on the high ground eleven miles inland and near the recently established college of William and Mary. The move away from the swamps at the Jamestown site were made permanent in 1699 and the town growing up around the college was renamed Williamsburg.

A new capitol needed a new statehouse, so the government hired Henry Cary as the general contractor for the job (which was good for Henry as he’d just finished construction of the main build for the college and was looking for a new venture). Work started in 1701 and officially ended in 1705. Being as all the prior capitol buildings had burned down, Cary built this new one without fireplaces. The legislators however had shorter memories and added four fireplaces just eighteen years later to help keep the building dry. Twenty-four years after that… the Capitol burned down to it’s foundations.

Noticing a pattern here?

Not to worry though as a new building was erected is 1753…

C04-414_zpsdb0e5ce2.jpg

(a view of the west elevation looking east0

…and it’s inside that building where all of the “Revolutionary” history we were discussing took place. Once actual warfare reached Virginia however, it was decided that the capital should be relocated to Richmond where it could be better defended and supplied if need be. This move took place at the end of 1779 and Williamsburg ceased to be the seat of government for Virginia from that point forward. The British army used the existing building during the conflict and afterward it fell into disrepair. Over time it was partially dismantled for the materials. That process was brought to a halt in 1823 when what was left…

burned to the ground.

C04-415_zps365a0eaf.jpg

(a rather different view from the same west side of the building)

All this leads to an obvious question: If the building was destroyed, then how is it that we were touring said structure and being led through the General Court room housed in the western wing of the building…

C04-416_zps3f106109.jpg

Or walking the wide hall over top of the portico that was the only enclosed connection between the courtroom and the house chamber…

C04-417_zpsdf842646.jpg

Or discussing the types of legislation that might be discussed in one of the committee chambers…

C04-418_zps6cc705f6.jpg

Or getting a glimpse of the upstairs chamber that housed the Colonial Council (an appointed body that acted as a senior branch of the legislature similar to that of our Senate of the English House of Lords)….

C04-419_zpsb2b26bc8.jpg

(Oh, and by the way… the fact that the Council was up stairs and the House was downstairs lead to the common usage of the terms “Upper House “ and “Lower House” being used to describe the two halves of our current congress.)​

So if this isn’t exactly a “historic” building…

then what is it?

The Restoration

C04-420_zps72d2917a.jpg

A “Fading Meteor”…

That was how one nineteenth-century journalist described Williamsburg. Once it was a rapidly growing hub of wealth, culture, education and politics, but fortunes change. With the move of the capitol to Richmond in 1780, came the exodus of most of the prominent movers and shakers (along with much of the business that supports them). Williamsburg settled into the roles of dusty hamlet and traveler’s way station. And for better then a century, it pretty much stayed that way. As major sources of revenue the town came to rely on three institutions: The courthouse (home of the “Hustings Court” and itself a bona fide historic building), the College of William and Mary (which being originally associated with the “Church of England”, lost much of its prominence after the revolution) and one other facility that did not make the move along with the wealth and power brokers. Specifically: “the Public Hospital for Persons of Insane and Disordered Minds” (which did continue to grow and expand). This combination led to an unfortunate description of the town as being "500 Lazies supported by 500 Crazies".

But that lack of attention paid by the outside world also meant that there wasn’t much presser for civic expansion. So rather then replacing many of the older structures with newer ones, the older ones were often repurposed. This all began to change in the early part of the twentieth century when the Reverend William Archer Rutherfoord Goodwin became rector of the historic Bruton Parish Church (which is also a true period structure built around 1711).

C04-421_zps4f02e122.jpg

Goodwin was a tireless man who also had a grander vision of what the town could be and should be. Along with the Church, he worked to have the buildings of the college restored to their original luster (and to attract more thinkers and students to them). Then he set about working on his grandest notion: the restoration if the entire town. That would require money though, and lots of it. Being resourceful and persuasive, he succeeded in recruiting another believer to the cause. One with considerable resources…

C04-422_zpsacb08267.jpg

That’s the reverend up there on the left talking to his partner, John D. Rockefeller Jr. The Rockefeller’s actually had a long history of philanthropy mostly toward education. Another thing they had was a well-earned negative reputation; that of ruthless business cutthroats on par with any of the great James Bond villains when it came to their desires for world domination. To temper that less savory second image, the family turned more and more toward charitable endeavors. This particular one just happened to be a very public display and offered much in the way of abating some of that criticism being heaped upon the family name.

With these two men now allied, the cloak and dagger work could commence. They quietly started buying up various properties in the oldest part of town. Being concerned that prices might spike if folks figured out what they were up to, Rockefeller and Goodwin kept their plans a secret.

Sound’s oddly familiar to another storyline that we all know.
Now don’t it?

But as you might imagine, when that much property suddenly starts changing hands, it gets noticed. After eighteen months of increasingly nervous rumors, Goodwin and Rockefeller finally revealed their plans to the rest of the world n June of 1928. The work of restoration has been steadily continuing ever since.

C04-423_zpse6e138f5.jpg

Streets were unpaved, sidewalks were pulled out, colonial building were restored and even had later additions removed to bring them back in line with the new vision. "Newer structures" (a fairly relative term) were also bought up and demolished. These changes even including a fairly recent high school building and the facilities of the power and electric company (built on land adjacent to the now restored town green and Governor’s “Palace”)…

C04-424_zps20e41a04.jpg

All of these things were removed and older structures were either restored or recreated on their original sites and as close to eighteenth century specifications as possible. This includes the Capitol Building that started me on this detour in the first place. But there is one little deviation from the “revolutionary period” in town and it relates again to the Capitol. Because of better existing documentation and records, the design used for the restored Capitol was that of the first building to stand on the site. The one that burned down prior to the beginning of much of the unrest that led to separation form Mother England. So while we were being shown around an amazing and faithful restoration of a significant, colonial edifice, it just was not the building who’s halls and chambers the rabble-rousers of the revolution were familiar with.

So now you know…

Here’s a little video that the fine folks who look after Colonial Williamsburg put together that talks about the transition somewhat more eloquently then my rambling mess of a chapter update come bonus feature did…

Enjoy!!

Next up: We invade the business district, and…

there will be considerably fewer unwarranted off-topic dissertations
(you may begin rejoicing immediately)

Confused yet?
Yes. Yes I am.

Monday morning we were up with the dawn and after taking full advantage of the offerings in the Hampton’s complimentary mess hall, we were off on the next mission.
Should have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. All I have to say is "cinnamon rolls."

Well, actually… it’s not quite that straight forward. First off, since no notes were taken at either assembly, there’s no proof that either quote is precise as uttered or if they were embellished after the fact by historians and biographers.
It kind of makes you wonder exactly how some of these iconic historical speeches actually came out as they were being spoken. You always envision them being delivered in a powerful, articulate manner, but there was obviously no recording of them. Maybe the speaker broke out in a coughing fit mid-sentence and had to start over. Something completely different, but he was mumbling so some writer just made it up. The world may never know.

So while we were being shown around an amazing and faithful restoration of a significant, colonial edifice, it just was not the building who’s halls and chambers the rabble-rousers of the revolution were familiar with.
But how many fireplaces does it have? :rolleyes1 :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

there will be considerably fewer unwarranted off-topic dissertations
(you may begin rejoicing immediately)
Saving those for the Disney TR?

There is a lot of very well preserved history throughout the U.S. although some of it is preserved through folk tale and even outright myth…

History is written by the victors, right?

But some bits of physical history are just too large to be contained inside a building. Say something like… a building (although there are exceptions to even that rule)

:rotfl2: Now you're really going for the obscure.

It’s a little bit like the way that Disney conveys a feel for the Mid-America of about 1904 with their Main Street USA sections of the MK and DL parks. You are imeadiatly immersed and you quickly accept what you are seeing and experiencing, but maybe it’s just a little bit too clean… a little too polished…

I don't get that feeling. If I wanted grime, I'd head to NJ.

Confused yet?

Who's on first?

That is the Presbyterian Meetinghouse. Interestingly, it’s not referred to as a “church” and that is partly because prior to the revolution, the only “legal” church in Virginia was the Church of England. The locals weren’t quite as strict about that as Parliament was back in the Mother County though. Just call it a meetinghouse and then you can discuss anything you want to discuss during those meetings.

Like how to get rid of the Church of England!

At different times of the day there are interpreters in period dress stationed throughout the Old Town that will answer questions or even act out a part. But there were none stationed here at the time so our guest soldier decided to make a guest appearance as a guest speaker at the pulpit.

What was he preaching about?

Shortly after its formation a meetinghouse for said “Burgesses” was built. Unfortunately it burned down not long after construction…

Not a problem… they just erected another one… Which later burned as well…

After this same scenario of loosing the capitol to fire was played out for the forth time (yes I said: “fourth”)

The legislators however had shorter memories and added four fireplaces just eighteen years later to help keep the building dry. Twenty-four years after that… the Capitol burned down to it’s foundations.

Noticing a pattern here?

When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England.

That process was brought to a halt in 1823 when what was left…

burned to the ground.

Oh, I give up.

(Oh, and by the way… the fact that the Council was up stairs and the House was downstairs lead to the common usage of the terms “Upper House “ and “Lower House” being used to describe the two halves of our current congress.)

And here I thought it was just because Senators were more full of themselves.

They quietly started buying up various properties in the oldest part of town. Being concerned that prices might spike if folks figured out what they were up to, Rockefeller and Goodwin kept their plans a secret.

Sound’s oddly familiar to another storyline that we all know.
Now don’t it?

::yes:: Something to do with Florida real estate, if I recall.

Should have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. All I have to say is "cinnamon rolls."

Rob says he doesn't like 'em. So, more for us.:thumbsup2

But how many fireplaces does it have? :rolleyes1 :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter