I missed the SW 60k offer

Oh wow, are you sure? So if I book with points, and it drops, I'm automatically refunded?

What if I cancel, will my points go back into my account?!
You have to take action and be proactive in continuously checking the price of your flights. If you notice a change in fare, you just do a change flight request on the SW website (even if it's the exact same flight) and once you have processed the change request, the change in points is immediately deposited back into your RR account. So you spent 5000 points, you notice the fare is now 4000 points, you go into change flight, rebook the same flight and 1000 points are back into your RR account.

I thought I read that if you change a flight booked with points then later want to cancel it, that is is non refundable. Can anyone confirm? Here’s the info I’m referring to but I don’t know if it is accurate.
http://dealswelike.boardingarea.com/2017/05/13/not-change-southwest-flight/
This is the relevant item from that article: For point reservations, while the points will go back to the account they were pulled from, the taxes paid will go to a travel voucher. This is the exact same policy that always held true for international reservations, but is now the case for all reservations.

So you will get your points returned, the taxes just won’t go back on your CC, you get a travel voucher instead.

This is the relevant item from that article: For point reservations, while the points will go back to the account they were pulled from, the taxes paid will go to a travel voucher. This is the exact same policy that always held true for international reservations, but is now the case for all reservations.

So you will get your points returned, the taxes just won’t go back on your CC, you get a travel voucher instead.
Thanks so on domestic flights not a big deal I guess.

Thank you! So taxes paid will have the year to be “used”, but it’s oftentimes $10-15 so that’s not as big a deal. I would hate the points to be on the one year rule!

Thank you! So taxes paid will have the year to be “used”, but it’s oftentimes $10-15 so that’s not as big a deal. I would hate the points to be on the one year rule!
Correct. I would think it is one year from the date of purchase of the ticket like tickets paid OOP. So if you purchase on 1/2 and cancel on 5/8, you have until 1/2 of the following year to use those funds.

Oh wow, are you sure? So if I book with points, and it drops, I'm automatically refunded?

What if I cancel, will my points go back into my account?!

No, as has been pointed out already that's not correct; you accidently took my post out of context. I was responding to a member that was asking about calling in to obtain the lower points price. In those cases, the points are automatically refunded back to the RR account.

I thought I read that if you change a flight booked with points then later want to cancel it, that is is non refundable. Can anyone confirm? Here’s the info I’m referring to but I don’t know if it is accurate.
http://dealswelike.boardingarea.com/2017/05/13/not-change-southwest-flight/

This is incorrect. It has always been the case that you can have the taxes refunded to the original form of payment for cancellation of domestic flights. SW can shaft us with the travel voucher scheme on funds paid directly to them, but they can't on the taxes paid portion that is not paid to them. The cancellation screen will default to have the refund applied to a voucher, but all you need to do is simply change to default to "request a refund" and the funds will refunded back to the card that was used to pay the fee initially. Nobody should be losing the $11.20 (round trip) fee. When changing flights to a lower fare, this is a non-event because the taxes paid initially will simply be credited toward the new flight purchase as a voucher.

I just booked my first trip with our new companion pass!! :cool1: Thank you to all the helpful posters who talked us newbies then the process. :goodvibes

I got the 2 cards in my DH's name as he had no other credit cards. So I am the companion. However my DH prefers to let me handle all financial & travel plans. So I did the applying & strategizing for the spends. Since we have trips planned in April & September, I just paid on those for our spend. I didn't even take our cards off the paper they came on yet, so we didn't accidently spend too much too soon! :rotfl2:

The first card closed on the 11th, second one close this Wednesday (24th). The points were not posted on SW yesterday. But when I checked at 10:30 this morning, I had the points & companion pass message!! Sorry I am rambling. I just love when a plan comes off! And so excited to be able to fly free for 2 years!

So now we have 129000 points & a companion pass. Bring on Hawaii!!!

I just booked my first trip with our new companion pass!! :cool1: Thank you to all the helpful posters who talked us newbies then the process. :goodvibes

I got the 2 cards in my DH's name as he had no other credit cards. So I am the companion. However my DH prefers to let me handle all financial & travel plans. So I did the applying & strategizing for the spends. Since we have trips planned in April & September, I just paid on those for our spend. I didn't even take our cards off the paper they came on yet, so we didn't accidently spend too much too soon! :rotfl2:

The first card closed on the 11th, second one close this Wednesday (24th). The points were not posted on SW yesterday. But when I checked at 10:30 this morning, I had the points & companion pass message!! Sorry I am rambling. I just love when a plan comes off! And so excited to be able to fly free for 2 years!

So now we have 129000 points & a companion pass. Bring on Hawaii!!!

Congrats! Love it!

It is the exact same scenario in my household. The cards are in my hubby's name and I handled all of the financials and applications. The bonus points posted in SW for one of his cards and the other just closed yesterday and the bonus points are on the statement so I'm just waiting for them to transfer to SW. We are also planning a Hawaii trip this summer, though I think our SW perks will only get us to the West coast, as I read this morning that SW said they likely won't begin flying to Hawaii until MAYBE late this year but probably 2019. Bummer, but at least I can get us out West with SW.

This article states maybe late this year https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...s-hawaii-flights-could-begin-year/1068025001/.

Congrats! Love it!

It is the exact same scenario in my household. The cards are in my hubby's name and I handled all of the financials and applications. The bonus points posted in SW for one of his cards and the other just closed yesterday and the bonus points are on the statement so I'm just waiting for them to transfer to SW. We are also planning a Hawaii trip this summer, though I think our SW perks will only get us to the West coast, as I read this morning that SW said they likely won't begin flying to Hawaii until MAYBE late this year but probably 2019. Bummer, but at least I can get us out West with SW.

This article states maybe late this year https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...s-hawaii-flights-could-begin-year/1068025001/.

Thanks! And congrats on your pending companion pass too!!

Should have been more clear tho - Hawaii would be for 2019. I would want to plan at least a 10 - 12 day trip. We are in Buffalo so I would want a stop in Disneyland along the way! :rolleyes1 I have to plan my whole next year's vacation time for work in November. Hopefully all the specifics will be out by then so I can plan enough time off.

Still waiting for my last one to close. I think it closes the 28th. Yay!! I'm the same as you guys above; got the cards in dh's name but I do all the planning and arrangements.

Question: I've had my SW card for years. If I were to cancel now, then I could reapply (within certain limitations) in 2 years and get a CP the same way? And meanwhile I could apply for a different card to get rewards like Preferred or Ink?

I just applied for the SW Rapid Rewards Plus card today, and it should come in the mail 7-10 days from now. I'm excited for the 53417 points I will have to spend! That should get me two round trip flights to Arizona. I love how there aren't any blackout dates either. Seems like a good deal.

I think I read about this in this thread .... If a better offer comes out for one of the cards, is it possible to contact chase and get the better offer? Anyone know how this works? I recently got the card with 40k miles, but now they are offering 50k.

I think I read about this in this thread .... If a better offer comes out for one of the cards, is it possible to contact chase and get the better offer? Anyone know how this works? I recently got the card with 40k miles, but now they are offering 50k.
You can SM Chase and ask them if they will match the current public offer of 50k. It never hurts to try :)

I helped a friend get the 120k points and CP. They just got the points all posted today and email for CP. They currently have their family booked for Costa Rica on SW in March. Is it possible to apply the CP to one of the already booked seats? I feel like I read you could do that but not sure and don't want to advise them wrongly. Thanks!

I helped a friend get the 120k points and CP. They just got the points all posted today and email for CP. They currently have their family booked for Costa Rica on SW in March. Is it possible to apply the CP to one of the already booked seats? I feel like I read you could do that but not sure and don't want to advise them wrongly. Thanks!
They’ll need to cancel the ticket that they already purchase for their companion and rebook it as the companion. If they paid for the ticket, they’ll get a voucher for that one individual, which may not be very useful. If they used points, they’ll get the points back. (Assuming they booked the wanna get away fare)

They’ll need to cancel the ticket that they already purchase for their companion and rebook it as the companion. If they paid for the ticket, they’ll get a voucher for that one individual, which may not be very useful. If they used points, they’ll get the points back. (Assuming they booked the wanna get away fare)
They did use points for one ticket and I’m pretty sure it’s the WGA fare. How do you book as the companion?

They did use points for one ticket and I’m pretty sure it’s the WGA fare. How do you book as the companion?
There will be a link on the reservation that says, literally, “Add Companion.” You click that and book it just like a normal reservation, but you only pay the security taxes ($5.60 each way, same as a points booking).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter