• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried an Office Depot purchase for $15 today to test the Visa Savings 10% deal. Will keep an eye out for a statement credit from Visa. Someone on Reddit said previous offers showed a credit in 3-4 days.
Visa SavingsEdge Update: the statement credit posted. I'm in shock. $15 purchase (Disney gift card) 2/1, $1.50 "adjustment" posted to my CIP on 2/19. Deal good on Visa Business cards, 10% back in statement credit on a "future statement", up to $5.00 per enrolled card, valid through 4/29. Must specifically enroll in this active offer. DoC's write up: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/visa...similar-amex-offers-includes-10-office-depot/

So, rookie mistake here... When I booked my trip to Miami through Chase UR points, I didn't look to see if there was anywhere I could put in an American Airlines numbers for miles. I don't even know if that's an option. Can I collect AA miles if I booked through UR, and, if so, is there a way to get them retroactively added after I take my trip this coming week? TIA!

I can confirm that you do get your airline miles for paying with points via Chase UR, Amex MR and Citi TYP. I believe that is how DH and I wound up with gold status on AA this year. We "paid" for a number of trips with points and with gift cards. If you log in to your ff account, you can add your trip as long as you have the record locator number. My last trip that was paid with UR points was on Delta and I just asked the Char UR travel portal rep to add our ff numbers and DH and I both got our miles for the flights to Iceland.

Credit card points save the day! My dd and her roommates are coming down from school (3 hours away) tomorrow, for a concert in downtown St. Paul (another hour from here). Well we now have a winter storm warning. So, Hilton points to the rescue, getting them a room on points by the venue so they don't have to drive home until after it stops snowing. It will add another hour to their drive Sunday (and means they will have to leave the hotel by 7:30 am) but at least I can sleep tomorrow night now.

Well, my Miami trip that I have been SO excited for next week just got canceled st the last minute because DH’s work just threw a huge project on him and told him to cancel the trip. Of course, I booked a non refundable ticket with UR points. Is there ANY chance I can get my points back if I call and plead my case? I’m so upset :sad:

Here's some info on major airlines and their policies regarding non-refundable tickets. It looks like some allow you travel credit for up to a year... https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/...Non-Refundable-Ticket-Policies-437978953.html

I hadn't really thought of doing that, but it sounds like an added bonus for sure. We don't need Disney right now, so I would just need to make sure BB carries a gc we need (Kroger has a better selection I think). I've never used Swagbacks, so I need to go figure it out.
It’s great and I’ve gotten over $1000 a year! Check the reddit dischurners page I know I have mine there and have seen some others.

How did you know about the $5 bonus at BB? Is this available at other stores? I downloaded the app, and it wasn't immediately clear to me which stores have qr codes that can be scanned in store. Sorry - 20 questions. I always go through rebate portals online - not used to doing it in store.
I have gotten it in store for all my purchases that have been over $50 but I have had items over $50 plus gift cards. Haven’t done it with just gift cards. The 2% is nice plus an extra $5. My items haven’t always been in the sales ad. I’ve only done the instore since online seems to not always credit

how long for Jetblue points to post after payment? (I still haven't seen anything from their shopping portal and it's been weeks)
also I guess I'm wondering how long does it take for points earned to post on the rewards of the acct? I paid the balance, but still 0 points balance showing after a few days..... this is oddly slow to show

I cancelled my Chase SW card around Feb 8. It is still showing in my Chase account. Should I call or does this just take time to move to inactive cards?

I cancelled my Chase SW card around Feb 8. It is still showing in my Chase account. Should I call or does this just take time to move to inactive cards?

One of mine never disappeared so I found a way on the website to go into some settings and remove it from displaying. Play around under your user preferences.

So I was about to open one of these ally savings to move our emergency fund into and I decided to check clark Howard first and see what he says. His site mentioned synchrony bank. They have a high yield savings at 1.55%, just FYI if anyone else is doing this. I don't see where they offer checking though, so it wouldn't work for anyone wanting to have both types at the same institution.

ETA: Here is a link to more.... https://www.bankrate.com/banking/savings/rates/

One of mine never disappeared so I found a way on the website to go into some settings and remove it from displaying. Play around under your user preferences.

Thanks. I want to make sure it was cancelled. I hope to reapply in 2 years in an effort to get the companion pass again. I will call.

So I was about to open one of these ally savings to move our emergency fund into and I decided to check clark Howard first and see what he says. His site mentioned synchrony bank. They have a high yield savings at 1.55%, just FYI if anyone else is doing this. I don't see where they offer checking though, so it wouldn't work for anyone wanting to have both types at the same institution.

Always good to check bank rate. We have an account at Barclays online at 1.5%. They also give a "bonus" on savings deposits - or at least they used to - I haven't paid much attention lately. Our checking account is at a local credit union that gets .00000001% or something close to that - lol. We just use that as a bill paying account and transfer out any savings over to Barclays.

Correct, Synchrony is savings only, closest to a checking account they have is Money Market accounts. They do both regular and IRA savings, CD's and Money Market options. We did Synchrony over Ally because they generally have higher rates and we didn't need a checking account since we still have the CapOne360 and, like, 2 or 3 others with brick and mortar banks.

*Sigh*

It’s been a long week (was it really just four days?), and I think I'm going to need a new credit card soon.

Finished the bonus spend on my PRG. Finally finished off the $10k MSR on my SPG Biz. Took our fur baby in for his annual checkup and shots - $325 on the Marriott Biz; went in for my annual eye exam - $75 towards the Marriott Biz; had some trouble with the car so took it in for a diagnostic - over $1500 estimated in repairs. Throw in a few hundred shopping at Costco, and I'll be done with the MSR on the Marriott Biz by early March then I can sock drawer the card.

Silver linings, right?

Weekly update:
Moved my Freedom points to my CIP. Then moved what I needed to Southwest to book the flights for our Utah trip in May. This will allow me to finish my Utah NP list - Arches, Canyonlands and over to Colorado for Mesa Verde. It is getting close (80 days out)!:cool1:

I am $1000 into my CIP min spend of $5000. Question for the group. How do I know the date I need to hit spend by? If approved on 2/7, do I go 3 months (90 days) out to May 7?

Next plans - I'd like to go for the CSR/CSP double dip. With a double spend, would like to time with a trip I am taking at the end of August. I assume that applying in July will be fine with the recent approval on CIP. That would be almost 5 months out. That doesn't seem like hitting Chase too hard.

Weekly update:
Moved my Freedom points to my CIP. Then moved what I needed to Southwest to book the flights for our Utah trip in May. This will allow me to finish my Utah NP list - Arches, Canyonlands and over to Colorado for Mesa Verde. It is getting close (80 days out)!:cool1:

I am $1000 into my CIP min spend of $5000. Question for the group. How do I know the date I need to hit spend by? If approved on 2/7, do I go 3 months (90 days) out to May 7?

Next plans - I'd like to go for the CSR/CSP double dip. With a double spend, would like to time with a trip I am taking at the end of August. I assume that applying in July will be fine with the recent approval on CIP. That would be almost 5 months out. That doesn't seem like hitting Chase too hard.

You can always send a secure message from your CIP account to Chase asking for the date by which you have to meet the spending requirement to earn the signup bonus points. This way, you don't have to calculate it yourself (and maybe make a mistake), and you'll have it in writing from Chase.

ETA: I'm so envious you're going to some of the most beautiful places in our country. I'm a huge fan of the NPS! Yes, I'd say a five month break from Chase is more than enough time for comfort for a double dip. When you're ready, you can always check back in and we can walk you through it.

I always send a SM to ask the date the MSR has to be met by just so I don't miss it.

Agree with @Lain. Your plan to hit up chase again for a double dip in August is a good plan!

I am a newbie to all of this but have been reading through this thread for about a month. OMG you guys are so smart and so generous with your help and advice!!!!!

I am planning a trip to Europe summer 2019 to celebrate DD high school graduation. I like to get a card that helps me accumulate points or miles that would go toward airfare from/to Dallas to Amsterdam and from Paris. (Or possibly convert a current card to another card in that Bank's lineup--I am getting a lot of offers to do that to my Citicard and my Bank of America card). I am trying to best guess which airline I might fly, and then best guess which card would work for accumulating miles or converting points for use. Advice????

Background facts that may or may not be relevant--I do not currently own a business, so I don't think I can get a business card. I do have some frequent flyer miles on American and Delta and Southwest. I do shop through their portals and am trying to get more purposeful about it. Domestically from Dallas we usually fly American, Southwest, or less often on Delta, Spirit or United. I would love to fly business class or some version of upgraded economy on our flights to/from Europe. I already have the following cards and I have had all for a very long time (between 10 and 25 years) except as noted (and after reading and reading on this thread, I am beating myself up seeing how unwise many of these were and I could have been racking up points or miles!!!): a Barclay master card that accumulates Carnival Cruise points (I have over 100,000 points but don't see any option to use those towards air), a Chase Slate visa, a Target Red Card visa, a basic Discover, a basic Bank of America visa, a Citi ThankYou Preferred card (which I am not using at all because it has a transferred low interest balance that I am working on paying off but probably won't be paid off in time to help load up,with charges for points), and a Home Depot store card (which is about 2 years old--the only card within 24 months). About 4 months ago, I applied for a Southwest card, and was denied by Chase. It was the first time I was ever denied credit of any kind . My credit is good, though not excellent. Also, for some reason I have not been able to get to the bottom of, Experian has me scored far lower than the other two credit bureaus.

I appreciate any advice regarding a card for points or miles. Thanks !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter