• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this "if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it" is where I think that guy screwed it. Although, I honestly didn't think they'd claw ALL of them back. It says they may cancel any or all other card accounts, but I wouldn't interpret that as I can take back every bonus you ever earned because you gamed me for this one.

But yeah, scary. This is the boogieman you all warn newbies about at night when they ask "can I close my account after getting the bonus?" Doesn't really feel real until it pops up in your timeline (I think hearing 'oh last year there was a guy that got it clawed back' or whatever doesn't have the same impact) with a first hand account... even if it's just random internet dude.

I also think that this was probably the trigger.

Oh wow, that's so crazy! I think if I saw someone from the board I'd act like I met a celebrity and want a picture , lol. Like people do with @Albort !
We can have a meet up at Stop & Shop! We can show our spreadsheets and cards...maybe go get a GC or two and then be risky and go get MOs with them. Maybe we can get a selfie in front of the gift card rack!

I also think that this was probably the trigger.

I sure hope so. It is so easy to get spooked by these kinds of DPs, but I'm just gong to stay the course. I have over 300K MR right now, but I'll need them to upgrade our Emirates flights home from Africa if upgrades become available. But I don't want to transfer them to Emirates preemptively because if upgrades aren't available, I have no known use for Emirates miles, and I'll want to put those MR to work for our Japan flights for the following summer. And I'm not a "cash-out my points person" since I know I can get much better value out of them by transferring to travel partners (or even booking on the Chase portal at 1.5 cents per point with my URs, but I digress....). So I'll just try to have faith that, while I've opened a bunch of Amex cards over the past year, I haven't closed any and I don't MS, so hopefully my MR stash is safe. I do want to close my Delta and SPG cards when the next AF hits, but I will have held those cards for over a year...

JetBlue is having a flash sale on airfare for anyone who uses them. They of course have all their flights on sale except for the ONE flight I want to book for my in laws to FLL in December :sad2:

This always happens to me too....I booked our SW flights the day the open up....but the points never seem to go down for the dates we have booked

Before I get my hopes up, are we sure this is not targeted? The AmEX website is still showing the old benefits for new applications.

I just read an article on boarding area which implies this is either limited OR amex plans on rolling it out but the announcement has been premature. I was super excited and there's nothing on my card page which indicates the changes. Usually Amex will send an email (or something) so I'm not hitting up restaurants until it's official.

I’m still seeing the old benefits on Amex’s PRG landing page and on my account too. Chatter seems to suggest this was mistakenly rolled out too early, and the updated benefits language and graphics have been pulled back. Actual release date is said to be 10/4/18.

A redditor chatted with Amex and was told these changes are coming 10/4, and there would be a new Business Gold card too: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/9hgfnc/comment/e6c4j8i?st=JMB407E1&sh=97c73110

And relatedly: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/9hgfnc/comment/e6c49ke?st=JMB45TBI&sh=c5bbc1ab

Last edited:
I’m still seeing the old benefits on Amex’s PRG Lansing page and on my account too.

A redditor chatted with Amex and was told these changes are coming 10/4, and there would be a new Business Gold card too: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/9hgfnc/comment/e6c4j8i?st=JMB407E1&sh=97c73110

And relatedly: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/9hgfnc/comment/e6c49ke?st=JMB45TBI&sh=c5bbc1ab
Aren’t they conflicting DP. The 1st link, the one person via chat said it is the BRG and not the PRG but the second link the chat person said PRG.

Aren’t they conflicting DP. The 1st link, the one person via chat said it is the BRG and not the PRG but the second link the chat person said PRG.

Frontline reps may not be well-informed. Dan from DansDeals basically got a no comment when he tried to get more info.

The first link mentioned the changes will be rolling out to everybody (I’m assuming PRG cardmembers) on 10/4. The first link says the rep also mentioned a new Business Gold card (seems separate from the first DP.) Another redditor replied that his chat rep told him these changes will be on the BRG (I think that rep or redditor is conflating the two.)

I tend to think these changes will be on the PRG because the PRG already has 2x MR on supermarkets, restaurants, and gas stations, so a bump up to 4x MR for supermarkets and restaurants and removal of 2x MR at gas stations makes sense. The BGR earning structure and bonus categories are completely different, and never included supermarkets or restaurants, and gas stations is only one of 4 other bonus categories.

Amex has clawed back MR points before; most notoriously with the leaked Thanksgiving 100k MR Platinum link about 2-3 years ago? Amex froze accounts to conduct reviews, and if they found you MSed your points were gone.

It is concerning that the DP says he did not MS. But under more recently added anti-churning terms, the RATs pretty much have sole discretion to determine if you've been "gaming" Amex.
That’s what concerns me

JetBlue is having a flash sale on airfare for anyone who uses them. They of course have all their flights on sale except for the ONE flight I want to book for my in laws to FLL in December :sad2:

Never fails! Yeah they have a great deal for $53 for a one way flight, but it would put my in laws in too late and I’m afraid that if the flight were to get canceled or delayed, they’d be stuck here without another flight to get down to FLL for my FILs appointment the next day.

Now I am tempted to cash out my MR's. Wasn't planning on going the Schwab route. I have 85,000 in my account (so not a ton). But with all that is happening and harder to get cards for now, wondering if I should cash out. We have a Carnival Cruise in March and they have a Carnival Corp Card that can be cashed out 1:1. If I am reading correctly - this card can be used to book cruises or pay for items on the ship just like regular gift card on any of Carnival Brand ships. Has anyone done this - want to verify before I do this.
I hate to advocate panicking- and redeeming under duress. But these changes and threats seem to be coming from all angles now.

Never fails! Yeah they have a great deal for $53 for a one way flight, but it would put my in laws in too late and I’m afraid that if the flight were to get canceled or delayed, they’d be stuck here without another flight to get down to FLL for my FILs appointment the next day.
Could you do a backup SW flight on points that you could cancel if their JetBlue flight goes as planned?

I seem to recall someone here a ways back who got multiple credit pulls for one car loan..... and I'm trying to remember the upshot of that- did it count against the 5/24 rule? like 5 pulls for one loan:-)mad:) on Creditkarma transunion but showing only 2 on equifax. will this mess with cc plans? till the '24' runs out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter