I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @miztressuz!

Now I'm trying to decide what I want to do again... I just need something for Sunday night after Sunday at Universal and Monday being at Disney. I was going to do URs for one night plus tickets, but I'm not seeing anything but the Poly on the UR site so I want to have a back up for when I'm on the phone.. I was just gonna do a value to save the points, not going to do the Poly for a night this time around :)

So I could book a night at the Dolphin for 12k SPG pts (I've got 76k), or pay cash for the room I reserved at Pop with the current offer for $140...

So I priced out (the best I could) a multi-city award ticket on Delta going CVG - CDG CDG - BCN BCN - CVG. For two people, that came out to 178,000 skypesos and about $175 in taxes. This is a mix of coach and Delta comfort. My husband freaked out about that and said how much is cash. Same route in cash is $5,225. He then freaked out about THAT. :rolleyes2

My scenario above is May pricing because next August obviously isn't open yet. But I have to be nailing down my plan here pretty soon.

RT CVG to BCN coach is 180,000 miles (in May) and about $100 in fees.

So either I'm doing something wrong or the multi-city trip is a banging deal. Has anyone done a multi-city award booking on Delta before?

Delta's pricing is always so...unexpected :sad2:

I've done several multi-city (aka open jaw) trips both for money and miles, and yes, oddly enough often they price out lower than straight round trip. So your pricing doesn't fall into the "too good to be true" category!

I'm also trying to play with dates since we're headed to Europe next year for DD's graduation trip. It's killing me since award dates for us will be released when DH and I are on Barcelona cruise (I know, first world problems!).

My brother and his family live in Cinci so know CVG pretty well :)

I always get a little worried when we are arriving late to any hotel, but we've so far never had an issue with any hotel canceling us. But, 9:30 isn't even late. That is just insane.
I think the real problem was this so-called “glitch” of checking in via the app and them thinking there was no CC guaranty on the reservation (which shouldn’t have mattered since I had a free night cert).

Craziness! 30 mins? They can't call you over their issue? Ugh.

Maybe you could pitch your story to a sitcom for extra compensation? ;)
Haha - they also contended they had no phone number for me...again a “glitch”

I don’t know how you put up with them for an hour and kept your cool! You know about the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee? https://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/member-benefits/guarantee.mi

I would consider hitting up Marriott again when you feel up to it. Would you rather have 25,000 Marriott points and your free night cert back or $100 and the Quality hotel cost covered? If you’d rather the later.... You didn’t cancel the res, “for some reason” the hotel was unable to honor your reservation (“for some reason” is literally the words in their guarantee, an IT glitch at the Marriott hotel certainly sounds like it covers that) so imho you are fully entitled* to their promised $100 for your inconvenience AND being fully reimbursed for the cost to spend the night at the other hotel. Maybe they make you return the Cert & 25k points though (although considering the condescending and insulting things the staff and manager said to you they ought to at least leave you with the points!)

*as long as your Marriott Rewards number was on the stay
I will give a full rundown at some point but the GM of the hotel called me this morning to apologize. I feel better about things and now have 40,000 more Marriott points out of it (so 65k total). They also ended up paying for my room last night.

I think the real problem was this so-called “glitch” of checking in via the app and them thinking there was no CC guaranty on the reservation (which shouldn’t have mattered since I had a free night cert).

Haha - they also contended they had no phone number for me...again a “glitch”

I will give a full rundown at some point but the GM of the hotel called me this morning to apologize. I feel better about things and now have 40,000 more Marriott points out of it (so 65k total). They also ended up paying for my room last night.

I'm glad the GM apologized and gave you more compensation!

We just finished DH's MSR for his SPG Biz - whoo hoo! I'm just about done with the MSR for my CIC, too. Now we can just focus on his Hilton Biz. Then I think we need a little MSR break!

Good churning day: 60K points on IHG just posted. 50K points on CIC also on this month's statement.

DH agreed to get another card to help out! Referred to the Hilton Biz and insta approved. Will use this to pay next semester's tuition so he won't even have to use it. Then I'll refer him for the CIC later in the summer or fall.

Not sure if i should have started a new thread to ask this, but we’ll give it a try here...
We are credit card debt free, have long time Master Card we’ll charge eBay/amazon purchases on but pay it off monthly.

I JUST got the Disney $200 GC & no annual fee card offer in the mail...think I might just open that just for the GC.

After reading parts of this thread, I think we are missing out on free things!
What’s “the best card for freebies? We aren’t big fliers, but do like to travel.

TIA

Good churning day: 60K points on IHG just posted. 50K points on CIC also on this month's statement.

DH agreed to get another card to help out! Referred to the Hilton Biz and insta approved. Will use this to pay next semester's tuition so he won't even have to use it. Then I'll refer him for the CIC later in the summer or fall.

Awesome! You’re lucky your DH is so cooperative! and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

:cool1::woohoo:party::cheer2::banana:

When I told my wife the good news about her Hilton Biz approval, she was like ANOTHER CREDIT CARD?!

:rotfl2:

Just a small heads up — the CIC doesn’t have referrals, so DH will just have to apply through a public link. Hopefully the 50k UR offer is still around when you’re ready!

I'm planning a trip to Tokyo Disneyland for my 60th in September 2019. The Hilton Tokyo Bay seems like the more reasonable of the options. What would be the best card to get to earn Hilton points? I already have the Southwest visas (plus and premier) to get me to the West Coast from Boston. Then Alaska airlines to get me to Hawaii. DVC points to stay at Aulani. My husband will need a few days to recover from the flights before we fly to Japan. Cash to get me from Honolulu to Tokyo. All suggestions are welcome!
:welcome:

There are some great Hilton Honors bonus points offers on Amex Hilton credit cards right now, which expire on 6/27/18. But don’t rush out to apply right away, because we’d probably want to get a better idea of your credit profile before applying, and familiarize you with Amex’s rules for credit card approval. I’ll follow up with more details when I get a chance later today.

P.S. @disneymagicgirl is pretty familiar with Hilton hotels, so she might be able to help with some ideas.

I've done several multi-city (aka open jaw) trips both for money and miles, and yes, oddly enough often they price out lower than straight round trip. So your pricing doesn't fall into the "too good to be true" category!

I'm also trying to play with dates since we're headed to Europe next year for DD's graduation trip. It's killing me since award dates for us will be released when DH and I are on Barcelona cruise (I know, first world problems!).

I've also been playing around with flights. I checked skymile flights from Washington DC area to South Africa, and the points required are huge. I don't think I'll be able to travel hack enough for 4 round trip tickets. Heck even 1 ticket would be hard. Then I priced out doing a two day layover in London on our way from Dc to SA, and the cash price was so much better than for a ticket without the multi day layover. DS and DH really want to go to Europe instead of South Africa. DD and I really want to go to SA instead of Europe. Soooooo I think I can make everyone happy by doing a 2-3 day layover in London on our way to SA. (I got this idea from reading an Adventures by Disney SA trip report!) Since it cuts the cost of the flights way down, it's a win win! I'm reworking the budget to include the hotel stay and tour costs in London. If my timeshare trade comes through, I may use the Marriott points for London instead of SA. All the waiting is killing me!!!

Is this DCL Barcelona cruise? Please come back and let us know how it was. One of my daughters asked to go to Spain.
I thought about the Disney Cruise but I looked at some random dates flying to Barcelona and it was surprisingly affordable.
Of course I haven't checked out hotel prices yet.o_O

Who here is working on 2020 or further vacations? I have next year set.. 2020 tentatively
and looking at 2021.

I don't think i will be opening up any new CC's. Just some old fashion saving and budget cutting.
(of course if some amazing offer comes ...all bets are off lol):D

Just a small heads up — the CIC doesn’t have referrals, so DH will just have to apply through a public link. Hopefully the 50k UR offer is still around when you’re ready!
Thanks for letting me know. I was hoping for a few extra points but would still get for sign-up bonus. Hope the 50K offer lasts for a few more months.

Is this DCL Barcelona cruise? Please come back and let us know how it was. One of my daughters asked to go to Spain.
I thought about the Disney Cruise but I looked at some random dates flying to Barcelona and it was surprisingly affordable.
Of course I haven't checked out hotel prices yet.o_O

We stayed in Barcelona post cruise last year (I know, I have a problem :rolleyes1) at the Ritz and my parents at another Marriott (AC Cotton) --both were great choices. Airfare is the bugaboo so I wouldn't worry about hotels- both Marriott and Hilton have footprints there so that's the easy part! This year pre cruise we're in the Hilton DCL uses and post cruise using my free Ritz nights

Not sure if i should have started a new thread to ask this, but we’ll give it a try here...
We are credit card debt free, have long time Master Card we’ll charge eBay/amazon purchases on but pay it off monthly.

I JUST got the Disney $200 GC & no annual fee card offer in the mail...think I might just open that just for the GC.

What’s “the best card for freebies? We aren’t big fliers, but do like to travel.

TIA

:welcome:
Welcome to our little (but constantly growing) community! You’ve come to the right place if you want to learn how to take advantage of credit card bonuses for free money and travel!

The general consensus you’ll find here is that the Disney Visa is a nice card, but you can do much better in terms of rewards so don’t waste a spot in your wallet so early in the game on the Disney Visa. A similar question about the Disney Visa came up from another member just a few days ago, and you can follow this link to read the subsequent interspersed discussion about it: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/page-1683#post-59375937.

If you’re interested in applying for more rewarding credit cards that can earn you hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of free money and travel, follow this thread, and ask questions — we’re the friendliest, most helpful group on the DIS.

We stayed in Barcelona post cruise last year (I know, I have a problem :rolleyes1) at the Ritz and my parents at another Marriott (AC Cotton) --both were great choices. Airfare is the bugaboo so I wouldn't worry about hotels- both Marriott and Hilton have footprints there so that's the easy part! This year pre cruise we're in the Hilton DCL uses and post cruise using my free Ritz nights

How did you like Spain? I really have no desire to go but the kid that never asks for ANYTHING asks if we can visit one day. I was pricing
out flights to Costa Rica and going to Spain would have been cheaper..go figureo_O

I'm terribly behind on this thread -- I booked a December WDW package last week and I have fallen down the rabbit hole of the restaurants and park attractions threads.

I did find out that my son's grad school tuition can be paid with a credit card *with no fee*! This will be about $20,000 of free credit card points next year. I have no idea how to handle this! Obviously sign-up bonuses would be the best route (since the best I could do is 2% back on an existing card). I need to research those really high MSR cards that I otherwise would avoid.

TIA

Also try to read back as much of this thread as possible. The veterans here give very helpful advice. Some pages back
@Lain gave excellent advice about being choosing cards for the vacation(s) you are planning. Wish i read that FIRST.

I was just on the Chase UR site and wanted to look at hotels for a trip I want to take next year. Some dates are black and you can't click on them. The others are blue and you can. Does this mean I won't be able to book using UR on any of those black dates? :guilty:

Never mind! I went back in and see it must just be too early for the dates I want. Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter