• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I made a decision to open a Chase Marriott Premier card for my husband, which will give us 100k points. I also upgraded mine to the premier for 10k points. Should I apply for a card for myself? If so, which one? LIke I said, the surgery for my dog will be 10k, so the Chase Marriott can be used for 5k and I can split it with another card to get another bonus.

TIA!

Lain, thanks so much for your reply! So thorough, as usual! Here is where our cards stand as far as dates. We actually don't have a personal SPG Amex, only business.

Within 24 Months Me:
Chase Marriott Dec-17
Chase Unlimited Dec-17
SPG Amex Business Nov-17
Barclay Jetblue Nov-17
Chase United MPE Nov-17
Bank of America MC Dec-16
Chase Sapphire Preferred Jul-16

Beyond 24 mos Me:
Amex travel card opened more than 24 mos ago
Chase Disney opened more than 24 mos ago

Within 24 Months husband:
Chase Sapphire Preferred Jan-18
Chase Sapphire Reserve Jan-18
Barclay Jetblue Dec-17
SPG Amex Business Mar 18
Chase Marriott Premier May 18

Amex ED Pref opened more than 24 mos ago

Okay, I made a decision to open a Chase Marriott Premier card for my husband, which will give us 100k points. I also upgraded mine to the premier for 10k points. Should I apply for a card for myself? If so, which one? LIke I said, the surgery for my dog will be 10k, so the Chase Marriott can be used for 5k and I can split it with another card to get another bonus.

TIA!
Did you upgrade to the Premier Plus? The Premier is the old card. Are you planning to refer your husband to the Premier Plus? If you want to apply yourself wouldn’t you also need to cancel your card first??

TIA!

I am not super familiar with the marriott cards, but the one you are upgrading...could you just open the one you are upgrading to instead to get the bonus?

ETA: To clarify...open a Marriott Prem Plus for yourself for the 100k bonus instead of upgrading for 10k...or is that not possible? If not possible to hold both, I think I'd cancel the current one and then app for the Prem Plus.

Another thing to consider is a CIP for yourself for 80k URs. I don't see any chase biz cards on your list.

Did you upgrade to the Premier Plus? The Premier is the old card. Are you planning to refer your husband to the Premier Plus? If you want to apply yourself wouldn’t you also need to cancel your card first??

I'm sorry. I applied for the Premier Plus for my husband, was accepted. Then I upgraded myself to the Premier Plus for the 10k points. I did not have an offer to refer my husband, at least that I saw. I screwed this up, didn't I?:(

I am not super familiar with the marriott cards, but the one you are upgrading...could you just open the one you are upgrading to instead to get the bonus?

ETA: To clarify...open a Marriott Prem Plus for yourself for the 100k bonus instead of upgrading for 10k...or is that not possible? If not possible to hold both, I think I'd cancel the current one and then app for the Prem Plus.

Another thing to consider is a CIP for yourself for 80k URs. I don't see any chase biz cards on your list.

I didn't think I would get an acceptance since I am at 5/25, so I went to that page where you can put in the info on your Marriott card and they will tell you how many bonus points you get.

Do you think I could get approved for the CIP even though I am at 5/24 ?

I'm sorry. I applied for the Premier Plus for my husband, was accepted. Then I upgraded myself to the Premier Plus for the 10k points. I did not have an offer to refer my husband, at least that I saw. I screwed this up, didn't I?:(
You could have potentially generated a referral for him (or used one from DISchurners) but don’t sweat it. I think the referral is 20k points so not a huge deal compared to the 100k.

Can I join in on the party?

I applied for the CIP yesterday and got the approval message this morning and already called to have it expedited.

This makes my 3rd biz card. I was a bit nervous because I'm sitting at 4/24 (I know generally that's ok) with healthy credit lines on 4 other Chase credit cards two of which are Chase (retired) biz cards in addition to 2 HELOCS (on rentals). I wasn't sure if they were really going to look at the 'big' picture or not. With the credit cards alone I am not at 50% but with the HELOCs :rolleyes1So, about two weeks ago, I called and had one of the biz cards limit reduced by half. I probably should have cancelled it but I wanted to make sure the CIP would be secured first. :)

Awesome and congratulations!!!

:cool1:party::woohoo:party::cheer2::banana:

I didn't think I would get an acceptance since I am at 5/25, so I went to that page where you can put in the info on your Marriott card and they will tell you how many bonus points you get.

Yes - unfortunately since you have no 5/24 slots open you cannot get a CIP. When do you have a slot opening up?

Not possible to hold both, unfortunately. And since the upgrade offer was only 10k I assume @mefordis got the bonus within the last 2 years so wouldn't be eligible for the bonus again anyway. In that situation if you really wanted the new card then the upgrade offer is better than nothing.

TIA!

@mefordis - you need to pause, run your plans by us and get some feedback before applying for any card. There are rules to each issuer that affect which of their cards you can apply for and when, and that affect the cards you can get from other issuers too. We can help! This thread moves fast, and we might not catch your post right away, but we're totally understanding if you repost the same questions again. But once you apply, that's it; there's no taking it back.

So getting your husband the Marriott Premier Plus isn't necessarily a bad move, but it looks like that puts him at 4/24. This leaves DH one remaining slot with Chase until after January 2020. That doesn't leave him much to work with, but you may be able to stretch the life of that slot by having DH apply only for business cards that don't count against */24.

You cannot get the Marriott Premier Plus yourself because of the "5/24 rule" and the "one Marriott rule;" you can upgrade. As you note, you're over 5/24, and applying for a new Marriott Premier Plus with the bonus is subject to the 5/24 rule. Chase also has a new rule we call the "one Marriott rule," which means you won't be approved for a new Marriott consumer card if (1) you currently have an open Marriott consumer card; and (2) you've received a signup bonus on a Marriott consumer card in the past 24 months. It looks like you got the Marriott Premier in December 2017 and it's still open, so that's #1; but even if you closed it (bad idea before you've had it for one year), you would still have received a bonus on a Marriott consumer card in the past 24 months, that's #2, which would make you ineligible for approval for the new Marriott Premier Plus card. As I said earlier, you could take the offer to upgrade your Marriott Premier to the Marriott Premier Plus.

I am only seeing 4/24 but maybe I am miscounting.
I want to say Marriott doesnt count 5/24 but I’d have to google that list again.

ETA: ok what am I miscounting? I see Marriott, Cfu, Chase United, and csp. I have re read the list a couple times but clearly I am missing something because y’all say she is 5/24. I need more coffee.

Hilton Honors American Express Business Card 125,000 Point Offer - via DoC.

This is a solid offer on an Amex business card that won't report to your personal credit reports and won't count against 5/24 with Chase. The previous offer was up to 100,000 HH points for $4k in tiered MSR.

@mefordis, if you're looking for another credit card to put $5k of spend on, the Amex Hilton Biz could be a good fit. (Make sure your vet accepts Amex.) It's got an exactly $5k MSR in 3 months for 125,000 HH points, good earning rate at Hilton hotels, and comes with complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status and 10 free Priority Pass Lounge passes (when your CSR's Priority Pass doesn't cover everybody).

Hilton Honors American Express Business Card 125,000 Point Offer - via DoC.

This is a solid offer on an Amex business card that won't report to your personal credit reports and won't count against 5/24 with Chase. The previous offer was up to 100,000 HH points for $4k in tiered MSR.

@mefordis, if you're looking for another credit card to put $5k of spend on, the Amex Hilton Biz could be a good fit. (Make sure your vet accepts Amex.) It's got an exactly $5k MSR in 3 months for 125,000 HH points, good earning rate at Hilton hotels, and comes with complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status and 10 free Priority Pass Lounge passes (when your CSR's Priority Pass doesn't cover everybody).

Yeesss!!! That was next on my list!

Not possible to hold both, unfortunately. And since the upgrade offer was only 10k I assume @mefordis got the bonus within the last 2 years so wouldn't be eligible for the bonus again anyway. In that situation if you really wanted the new card then the upgrade offer is better than nothing.

So that new 1 sw bonus every 24 months rule applies to mariott cards too? I am sure glad I aske y’all before I make any moves because this is so much to remember!

I want to say Marriott doesnt count 5/24 but I’d have to google that list again.

ETA: ok what am I miscounting? I see Marriott, Cfu, Chase United, and csp. I have re read the list a couple times but clearly I am missing something because y’all say she is 5/24. I need more coffee.

No you can’t get CIP at 5/24.

ETA: I see where I was being dumb. Ignore me today.

Ooohhhh yes, need to count all cards, not just chase. Yes more coffee needed. Or sleep.

when you close a card (let's use SW for example) and reapply to get the bonus, does the 24 months between bonuse start from application/approval or when the bonus actually hit? I applied for SW june of 17, bonus hit August 17, when could I apply again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter