I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH and I are thinking that he applies for the Marriott Chase (rewards will be useful this summer). He will also pursue the CIP at some point (is that a limited time offer?) and refer me at some point.

I would double dip the CSR/CSP.
I am very torn about Amex though, the AF is steep.

Would it be the right step to cancel cards we don't use (as long as we maintain 1-2 cards each with 10+yr history)?

Who do you bank with? I used my PNC debit card to access a Canadian Atm in Canada and was able to obtain a better exchange rate. PNC also waived the foreign transaction fee which was nice. Maybe your bank will waive Atm fees if you have a certain account?

Chase. My husband called and he said it would be 5 dollars per transaction however the rep said he didn't know what
ATMs give the best exchange rates, but you have to be careful about the ATM fees (although even with fees, you still might come out ahead). How long will she be there? Several of my kids have lived overseas for months and for them it was worthwhile to open a US bank account that had a relationship with foreign banks. I recall that when my son was going to China for a semester, he opened a Bank of America account that he could access at certain branches of a certain Chinese bank.

Also, is she going on her own or with a group? If she's going to be arriving on her own, especially after a long flight, it might be worth the bad exchange rate to get $50 or so in local currency. That way, if the ATM at the airport is down, or in an inconvenient place, or she's just tired, she will be able to get a taxi.

She will be going by herself. This is a graduation from H.S. present. She will be meeting her best friend who is going to school out there. What you
just said is what my husband fears...that an ATM will be down and she will be roaming an unfamiliar airport looking for one. He thinks we should
just eat the bank fee and get the money from bank here. 50? I thought 200 . Is that too much for 8 days?

It all depends on what the fees would be on your particular card, but like a commenter upthread I used my USAA debit card to withdraw cash and got whatever ATM fees there were refunded (this was eight years ago though so the fees charged may have changed since then). I'm assuming your daughter will be flying into a major airport hub like Milan or Rome? If so, the easiest thing to do will be to get euros at an airport ATM. Besides that, she should be able to find ATMs scattered throughout the places she visits, especially near tourist sites, unless she's in a teeny village in the countryside that doesn't get much foot traffic. It should definitely be less expensive than going into a bank stateside to get foreign currency.

Flying into Rome and the bank said 5 dollars per transaction. Are the atms in English at all?

That's funny, I just was calling around about that a few minutes ago. Given the current exchange of 1:1.18, yes you are paying ~$17 extra fee to the bank (from your $253 quote) for them to get you 200E in hand. I plan to do it for our trip to Italy next month just because I would feel more secure having the money in hand in case of some black swan event, and it's worth the ~ $17 for my peace of mind. Is she flying to FCO? I've read there are ATMs in there, so she should be able to get cash from an ATM if she waits til she lands at the airport. However, there are fees, some issued by the ATM owner and some issued by your bank, so you should be clear on what those are, because you might end up paying in fees anyway with the added hassle of her having to figure out an ATM in a foreign country. Once, I was in Costa Rica, and fortunately I know some Spanish because the ATM's directions were only in Spanish!

My Wells Fargo debit card would charge me $5 per withdrawal overseas + whatever the ATM owner's fee ($3-$5) per withdrawal, so no way would I ever use that. I have a Charles Schwab checking account for this purpose and take the debit card for travel. No fees whatsoever, just the straight currency exchange rate, no matter what ATM I use. Plus, it's a chip & PIN card, so it can be used at unmanned kiosks (like buying train tickets). I highly recommend that card for anyone traveling overseas.

Just throwing out a DP - DH got a targeted mailer for AX Biz Gold Rewards for 75K MR which I, I mean he, signed up for, and then a few months later he got a targeted mailer for AX Biz Plat for 150K MR. Maybe it's different because these are business cards?

Yeah after an 11-12 hour flight she might not feel like looking for an ATM and yes flying into FCO. I know the Hyatt charges no foreign transaction
fees but her friend said she should take some cash. That 17 dollar fee is high to me but maybe your right about peace of mind. Her bank charges
5 dollars per transaction also. Her friend and family are meeting her there so they could help her but I don't know about Rome airport. Are there
atm's after security customs?

Capital One 360 doesn't charge a fee to withdraw cash from foreign ATMs. You just have to pay the fee charged by the ATM operator (if any). Their checking account is also no-fee, so you could open one for her and deposit funds for her to withdraw from while she's in Europe. That's probably the easiest way.
I wish I had looked into this earlier. We are leaving for Hawaii Friday for 10 days and when we come back she leaves 36 hours later.
I will remember this in the future. Thank you

Also CapOne360 has no ATM or conversion fees. The nice part about Europe is the actual bank ATM's don't charge a fee, so we got Euros at the bank exchange rate for nothing extra.

So the Atm's in Europe charge no fee? Our bank charges 5 dollars so are you saying that will be it ?

The $550 AF does give me pause. It is a $5k spend (we have big expenses in June, plus spend $5-7k monthly, so minimum spend is not an issue).

Fly out of Hartford Bradley airport, so limited airlines. SW is only direct option to Orlando (DVC members, fly free on SW points at least once a year)

I do travel 2-3x year international for work, must use work card though

One of the real money benefits of the Platinum is its $200 airline fee credit per calendar year. You pick the airline that you plan to use the credit on. Then, to qualify for the credit, the charge has to be one that Amex recognizes is an airline fee; so eligible fees include: checked baggage fees, itinerary change fees, pet fees, seat assignment fees, in-flight amenities and entertainment. What works is buying gift cards on Delta (in $50 increments in different transactions), American (in $100 increments in different transactions), and Southwest (up to $200) if you’ve selected to use your credit on those airlines. If you planned to spend money on those airlines anyway, the credit offsets the AF; and if not, then sell them on a gift card exchange and get ~85% of the face value back to offset the AF.

The airline fee credit is a calendar year benefit, which means you could use up the $200 credit this year if you get the Platinum in 2018, and again after 1/1/19 when the benefit resets for another $200 credit before your second year AF posts and you can decide to keep the card or cancel it (but before you do, call Amex to see if they’ll give you a retention offer to keep the card another year). This is approximately $400 in value in the first year of holding the Platinum, which is a huge part of offsetting the $550 AF.

Another real dollar benefit on the Platinum is $200 worth of Uber credits doled out at $15 each month and $35 in December. If you don’t use one month’s credit, they expire at the end of the month. I don’t know if you use Uber. I usually don’t, so I end up using them for UberEATs, which is a terrible value because UberEATs here charges a $4.99 booking fee and I’ll tip my driver, which eats up that $15 credit quick.

I was looking at that Marriott one as we have domestic travel coming up.

Since you mentioned upcoming travel and an interest in Marriott, the Platinum gives you automatic gold status at SPG, which can be status matched to gold at Marriott and Ritz-Carlton.

When would you be traveling? Because Marriott is finalizing its merger with SPG and last month announced plans to further combine their loyalty programs effective 8/1/18, so changes are coming.

Right now until 7/31/18, Marriott Gold gets you complimentary room upgrades, breakfast/lounge access, and guaranteed 4 p.m. late checkout. Starting 8/1/18, SPG Gold achieved through the Platinum will still translate to Marriott Gold, which will get you upgrades to enhanced rooms but not suites, late checkout at, I believe, 2 p.m., but no breakfast or lounge access. There’s value in status if you get upgraded because there’s a difference in price between the room you paid for and the upgraded room you get, but it’s speculative and harder to put a number on.

Seems like the CSP woukd give me more value (for our travel style) than AmEx, considering the hefty annual fee. However our local small airport lounge gives Amex access, not sure about Chase. (Not a huge deal, we are fine with mid level travel!)

One of the perks I love most about the Platinum is access to their Centurion airport lounges, which are a step up from most domestic airport lounges. Unfortunately, it looks like the closest Centurion Lounges to Bradley Hartford is in LGA or PHL, and the closest to Orlando is in MIA (a new Centurion Lounge is being built at JFK and is expected to open in 2019). The Platinum does offer access to Priority Pass lounges, which are far more widespread, for the cardmember and two guests, but so does the CSR. And, as you mentioned, the Platinum gives complimentary access to the Escape Lounge network, including the one at BDL. This is another one of those benefits that’s hard to put a value on, but it sure is nice to spend time before, between, and even after flights in a lounge with complimentary food and drinks rather than at the gate.

Last edited:
Thanks!

What is CIP? What is the double dip?

I was looking at that Marriott one as we have domestic travel coming up.

I don't think I can get the Delta Amex promo because I've had it before (cancelled when we started flying SW more)

The 100k Amex is a platinum. Seems like the CSP woukd give me more value (for our travel style) than AmEx, considering the hefty annual fee. However our local small airport lounge gives Amex access, not sure about Chase. (Not a huge deal, we are fine with mid level travel!)

There are 4 different Amex cards between the gold and platinum and personal and business. If you have had one of those you can still get the others.

I would get the CIP (most UR’s possible right now) or even Sapphire Preferred/Reserve double dip before a specific card like Marriott.

Airport lounge question/complaint -- I have the CSR (so Priority Pass) and an AmEx Platinum, and there are no domestic-flight lounges in the Chicago-O'Hare airport? Really?

One of the real money benefits of the Platinum is its $200 airline fee credit per calendar year. You pick the airline that you plan to use the credit on. Then, to qualify for the credit, the charge has to be one that Amex recognizes is an airline fee; so eligible fees include: checked baggage fees, itinerary change fees, pet fees, seat assignment fees, in-flight amenities and entertainment. What works is buying gift cards on Delta (in $50 increments in different transactions), American (in $100 increments in different transactions), and Southwest (up to $200) if you’ve selected to use your credit on those airlines. If you planned to spend money on those airlines anyway, the credit offsets the AF; and if not, then sell them on a gift card exchange and get ~85% of the face value back to offset the AF.

The airline fee credit is a calendar year benefit, which means you could use up the $200 credit this year if you get the Platinum in 2018, and again after 1/1/19 when the benefit resets for another $200 credit before your second year AF posts and you can decide to keep the card or cancel it (but before you do, call Amex to see if they’ll give you a retention offer to keep the card another year). This is approximately $400 in value in the first year of holding the Platinum, which is a huge part of offsetting the $550 AF.

Another real dollar benefit on the Platinum is $200 worth of Uber credits doled out at $15 each month and $35 in December. If you don’t use one month’s credit, they expire at the end of the month. I don’t know if you use Uber. I usually don’t, so I end up using them for UberEATs, which is a terrible value because UberEATs here charges a $4.99 booking fee and I’ll tip my driver, which eats up that $15 credit quick.

Since you mentioned upcoming travel and an interest in Marriott, the Platinum gives you automatic gold status at SPG, which can be status matched to gold at Marriott and Ritz-Carlton.

When would you be traveling? Because Marriott is finalizing its merger with SPG and last month announced plans to further combine their loyalty programs effective 8/1/18, so changes are coming.

Right now until 7/31/18, Marriott Gold gets you complimentary room upgrades, breakfast/lounge access, and guaranteed 4 p.m. late checkout. Starting 8/1/18, SPG Gold achieved through the Platinum will still translate to Marriott Gold, which will get you upgrades to enhanced rooms but not suites, late checkout at, I believe, 2 p.m., but no breakfast or lounge access. There’s value in status if you get upgraded because there’s a difference in price between the room you paid for and the upgraded room you get, but it’s speculative and harder to put a number on.

One of the perks I love most about the Platinum is access to their Centurion airport lounges, which are a step up from most domestic airport lounges. Unfortunately, it looks like the closest Centurion Lounges to Bradley Hartford is in LGA or PHL, and the closest to Orlando is in MIA (a new Centurion Lounge is being built at JFK and is expected to open in 2019). The Platinum does offer access to Priority Pass lounges, which are far more widespread, for the cardmember and two guests, but so does the CSR. And, as you mentioned, the Platinum gives complimentary access to the Escape Lounge network, including the one at BDL. This is another one of those benefits that’s hard to put a value on, but it sure is nice to spend time before, between, and even after flights in a lounge with complimentary food and drinks rather than at the gate.
This is all so helpful, thanks so much. We really appreciate everyone's input.

Chase. My husband called and he said it would be 5 dollars per transaction however the rep said he didn't know what

She will be going by herself. This is a graduation from H.S. present. She will be meeting her best friend who is going to school out there. What you
just said is what my husband fears...that an ATM will be down and she will be roaming an unfamiliar airport looking for one. He thinks we should
just eat the bank fee and get the money from bank here. 50? I thought 200 . Is that too much for 8 days?

I was thinking $50 in emergency cash in case an ATM wasn't readily available in the airport. I am pretty sure that the ATM machines that she could get cash from (some are actually not on the international system -- I discovered this in China) will give her the option to select English. Is she staying at a hotel? There usually is an ATM machine either in the lobby or nearby, and hotel staff could help her if she had a problem.

Yeah after an 11-12 hour flight she might not feel like looking for an ATM and yes flying into FCO. I know the Hyatt charges no foreign transaction
fees but her friend said she should take some cash. That 17 dollar fee is high to me but maybe your right about peace of mind. Her bank charges
5 dollars per transaction also. Her friend and family are meeting her there so they could help her but I don't know about Rome airport. Are there
atm's after security customs?

What I've read about Italy is that there are a lot of places that only take cash. The Hyatt card is fine for any place that accepts it, but mom & pop type places may not. If she ends up making 3 x $50 ATM withdrawals, you're minimally at the $17 fee anyway. There is no way I'd send my daughter alone anywhere without money in her pocket. It most likely will be fine, but are you willing to risk it for $17? I'm probably traveling at the same time as your daughter so I won't be able to let you know about ATMs after immigration at FCO, but I'd be happy to report when I'm back home afterwards (too late I'm sure).

So the Atm's in Europe charge no fee? Our bank charges 5 dollars so are you saying that will be it ?

ATMs in Europe charge fees. I think the amount will depend on the ATM's operators and whether or not it's in-network with your bank (Chase) to use their ATM. The article that @Jen and Ashwin linked in her reply to you shows that your Chase debit card will incur a 3% transaction fee on top of the $5 charge to use it. So a $50 withdrawal is going to cost $6.50 plus the ATM surcharges (probably additional $3-$5) each time. That same article shows that Charles Schwab, the one I mentioned before, charges no fees at all.

The possible downside to going with 200E is that she may end up with some leftover if she doesn't use it all. But that can be a souvenir, or she can save it for her next European adventure, or she can gift it to her friend! ETA: or convert back to dollars at the airport at a really bad exchange rate.

Last edited:
LOL

Do you guys cancel cards once you use the benefits?

It depends on the card and the reason for the sign up. A lot get changed to another card once the af hits, which has been discussion tonight with the freedom cards.

I'll keep my Hyatt because so far the free anniversary night value is well over the af for me. I'll keep my csr because the travel credit and other benefits justify the af for me.

I won't keep the delta amex biz once the af hits because I don't fly delta enough to warrant the fee but the sign up bonus was too good for the msr to pass up. I'll probably cancel my Alaska card either for a biz or to churn it when the ad hits unless they give me a good retention (haha I doubt it).

Oh and my cfu doesn't have an af so no reason to cancel which is what many do unless they plan to churn the card but generally the signups are low on no af that there's no reason to waste a x/24 spot on it if you aren't keeping it, some will say better to pc to one.

Really everyone will give you a different answer, even to the above cards :)

ETA phone's autocorrect didn't correct the one word I actually misspelled vs all the acronyms it wanted to change.

Airport lounge question/complaint -- I have the CSR (so Priority Pass) and an AmEx Platinum, and there are no domestic-flight lounges in the Chicago-O'Hare airport? Really?

You’re not the only one I’ve heard this from. I think it’s usually blamed on the lack of available retail space. It can’t be cheap to rent at ORD either, but then Amex is paying $33 million over 10 years for its lease at LAX, $20 million over 10 years for its space at DEN, not including capital costs of building out the lounges in the first place and continuing operational costs.

That's the same enhanced public offer for the CIC that a lot of us are applying for!

The usual signup bonus for the CIC is $300 cash back; or $500 cash back if you apply via BRM. The $500 cash back comes in the form of 50,000 UR points after you meet the $3k MSR in 3 months. The rumor is the $500/50k UR public offer will end on 5/20. The other rumor is Chase will be releasing a new "Chase Ink Business Unlimited" ("CIU") card on 5/20 that earns 1.5x UR on everything (the business equivalent of the Freedom Unlimited) with a 50k UR signup bonus. So if you pass on the $500 CIC offer, you should be able to get the same signup bonus by applying for the 50k UR CIU later.
Okay good to know. The 1.5x on everything would probably be more valuable to me in the long run. Any DPs on whether a personal code helps bypass the recon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter