I have a new knee!

I came to the boards to get some feedback on my upcoming trip pre-hip surgery, and your post was what I needed to see! I am still walking, but that will get harder when the latest cortisone shot wears off. I got great advice on ECV rental and will definitely rent. We are booked at POR. DD is old enough to be flexible, but I want to get in one more trip while she is young enough to still want to Disney with me. Any advice for our 4-day August park hopping trip?

I came to the boards to get some feedback on my upcoming trip pre-hip surgery, and your post was what I needed to see! I am still walking, but that will get harder when the latest cortisone shot wears off. I got great advice on ECV rental and will definitely rent. We are booked at POR. DD is old enough to be flexible, but I want to get in one more trip while she is young enough to still want to Disney with me. Any advice for our 4-day August park hopping trip?
WDW transportation with an ECV can and will take longer. You may need to wait for empty busses if there are 1 or 2 ECVs in front of you in line. Always add extra time when traveling with an ECV. There are accessible Minnie Vans you can also book in the Lyft app, but they may take longer since there aren't as many.

Always practice good battery hygiene. Shut the ECV off when it isn't in use like long queues. Don't keep the light on during the day. Plug the ECV in whenever there is downtime, you're taking a break, and overnight.

August can be rainy. Don't get the ECV wet! Bring extra ponchos or even a cover for the ECV (I got one on Amazon super cheap if it had to be outdoors). Also braking in an ECV is like a car when it's wet outside... it takes longer to stop. I also got her a cup holder on Amazon that was cheaper than the rental price.

Make sure you cover your thighs to knees with sunscreen. They can burn in the sun on the ECV. The black seat can also get very hot if parked in the sun. Sometimes my moms would bring a towel.

If you have bags for security it may be faster/easier to give your daughter your bag so she can walk through the screening system and wait for you on the other end. Don't rush on/off the ECV and if you can't get up and walk through you can ask to be wanded instead.

Study up on which queues will let you ride through and which require ECV to wheelchair transfer for the queue. If you're mobile enough you may opt to park the ECV and walk the queue if it's possible. A CM at the standby or LL entrance will explain what is required of you. Some rides off the top of my head that require ECV to wheelchair transfer include Tron, Space Mountain, Pirates, FoP, SSE, ToT, and RnRC (not open). CMs will also double check to make sure you're comfortable taking a few steps, entering the ride vehicle, etc. I know on Test Track (also closed now) they would always ask my mom if she was comfortable evacuating.

If you do park your ECV and leave it in a designated area, take your key with you. You could also wrap something around the handle like a colored ribbon or something to help easily identify it since there will be multiple models that look like it.

Be mindful or your surroundings. Being on an ECV is much lower. It's the perfect height for accidental lightsabers in the eye.

Know the ramps and alternate ways around WDW. A huge one that always blows my mind is when I see people going backwards down the steps with strollers by Animation Courtyard.

IDK if you take any OTC pain medications, but make sure you pack those if you're comfortable taking them. My mom also packed Biofreeze and large Ziploc bags that she would fill with ice when back in the room if she was in pain.

With all that said an ECV is life changing for someone with mobility issues in the parks. You're making the right choice and I hope you enjoy your trip!

I think you've gotten great advice from @PolyRob. I just got back from a short trip and didn't have any issues with the busses or ECV in the parks. I stayed at POFQ back in May and the bus service was good and I'd think POR the same. I brought a white resort towel for the seat cause it does get hot. I take the ECV through all the lines at this point (that allows it in the line) because I can barely walk - waiting to get knee #2 done and that knee has gotten really bad. I couldn't ride many things. If you think you'll have trouble walking at all or getting into and out of rides - let me know. I can give you some advice on what rides work for me. Essentially the ones that are more like a seat. For example Guardians of the Galaxy - easy peasy. Anything I have to step down into or out of - not so much. I managed to do Navi River journey cause the step isn't bad.

I hope you have a great trip!

Just wanted to note that I finally had knee #2 done a couple of weeks ago! I've had a few bumps in recovery but it's a big surgery so who doesn't I guess! I am doing well so far and was actually able to walk down the hallway in the house yesterday with no walker and no cane (DH was in front of me walking backwards with the walker in case I needed to grab it). I mean...I cannot tell you how crazy that felt. I'm am hopeful that I might actually be able to walk with just a cane in a couple of weeks. My goal is to go to Japan (Tokyo Disney!!!) next year perhaps around May so I'm super motivated as we've put off this trip for son long because of my knees.

I know many aren't so fortunate to even have the chance to set aside their mobility aids so it is indeed a blessing - even just to rid of that awful pain in my knees. Fingers crossed the recovery continues. I'm happy to answer any questions about knee replacements or dealing with the parks with bad knees because goodness knows I've done it for so long.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest