Lightning Lane Premier Pass is launching October 23

Way overpriced IMHO, how upset are those folks gonna be when some of the E-ticket rides are down when they show up to scan in for LLPP?

I heard about this as it was the top entertainment story on Youtube and my take on this is that Disneyland has made a new version of the old E-Ticket system and how they will attract visitors with this new Lightning Lane Premier Pass I'll never know? Because I find it shocking that if you use the Lightning Lane Premier Pass you can cannot ride any rides twice and if you have kids that LOVE riding rides twice it will be a surprise to you. Because it used to be that Disneyland would let people ride rides twice if they wanted to ride for a second chance. But with this Lightning Lane Premier Pass it will be impossible to do. What I think this will mean is that it will hurt Disneyland and they will lose visitors indeed. I mean who would pay $400 for this pass? This has got to be the worst mistake ever that Disneyland has ever done in history

I heard about this as it was the top entertainment story on Youtube and my take on this is that Disneyland has made a new version of the old E-Ticket system and how they will attract visitors with this new Lightning Lane Premier Pass I'll never know? Because I find it shocking that if you use the Lightning Lane Premier Pass you can cannot ride any rides twice and if you have kids that LOVE riding rides twice it will be a surprise to you. Because it used to be that Disneyland would let people ride rides twice if they wanted to ride for a second chance. But with this Lightning Lane Premier Pass it will be impossible to do. What I think this will mean is that it will hurt Disneyland and they will lose visitors indeed. I mean who would pay $400 for this pass? This has got to be the worst mistake ever that Disneyland has ever done in history
This is just pure extra profit for Disney. Doesn’t take away anything, but offers another method for extracting more money from customers.

What it looks like to me in my eyes it seems that Disneyland is trying to go back to the ride pricing system that they launched when they first opened in 1955 and the system was used until 1982 with this Lightning Lane Premier Pass. And Disneyland has been trying to find more ways to get more park visitors to visit the park because ever since and even before the pandemic Disneyland had always tried to experiment with ways to draw more attendance in and with this new version of Lightning Lane Disneyland will most likely be thinking that park attendance will most likely go down and once Lightning Lane Premier is launched October 23rd people will no longer go and pay the high price for this pass alone. After all look what happened when Disneyland launched the Genie+ system?

What it looks like to me in my eyes it seems that Disneyland is trying to go back to the ride pricing system that they launched when they first opened in 1955 and the system was used until 1982 with this Lightning Lane Premier Pass. And Disneyland has been trying to find more ways to get more park visitors to visit the park because ever since and even before the pandemic Disneyland had always tried to experiment with ways to draw more attendance in and with this new version of Lightning Lane Disneyland will most likely be thinking that park attendance will most likely go down and once Lightning Lane Premier is launched October 23rd people will no longer go and pay the high price for this pass alone. After all look what happened when Disneyland launched the Genie+ system?
This does very much feel like the “good old days” with per ride pricing, which isn’t real great. What is odd though is the limits they had with individual paid lightning lanes… I could easily see someone dropping $100 to do Rise three times in the same day or something…

The attendance thing…. Disney has actually been trying to find ways to lower park attendance. Well, maybe I should phrase that as smooth out park attendance. A couple years ago at a quarterly shareholder call they vaguely mentioned/alluded to trying to control attendance (down) by saying that they were increasing prices to help improve the customer experience when in the parks. Customer satisfaction, likely wait times, was specifically something that was becoming a huge issue (this was just post pandemic) and Disneyland didn’t really have a good solution to cutting wait times other than trying to shift attendance from school breaks, holidays, weekends, to mid-week days in months without school or public holidays. They did this by really shuffling the per day pricing and increasing prices.

I can’t see how this will lower attendance, people just won’t pay for this add on. However, this could push up average revenue if attendance is getting a little soft, but some percentage (even if it’s rather small) are big spenders that will toss $400 towards this premium product.

If you think about it, each lightning lane premium sold acts like four people buying standard lower tier (cheaper) park tickets. I doubt it increases wait time by the same amount as four additional people though. Sell 2,500 of these passes a day and you collect the same revenue as 10,000 additional park tickets sold…

You also don’t need additional staff since it’s not a guided tour.

You don’t sell additional food or merchandise, and honestly you might actually sell less merchandise if some people sacrifice that to afford this premium pass… but food and merchandise is what the SoCal annual pass is for.

This does very much feel like the “good old days” with per ride pricing, which isn’t real great. What is odd though is the limits they had with individual paid lightning lanes… I could easily see someone dropping $100 to do Rise three times in the same day or something…

The attendance thing…. Disney has actually been trying to find ways to lower park attendance. Well, maybe I should phrase that as smooth out park attendance. A couple years ago at a quarterly shareholder call they vaguely mentioned/alluded to trying to control attendance (down) by saying that they were increasing prices to help improve the customer experience when in the parks. Customer satisfaction, likely wait times, was specifically something that was becoming a huge issue (this was just post pandemic) and Disneyland didn’t really have a good solution to cutting wait times other than trying to shift attendance from school breaks, holidays, weekends, to mid-week days in months without school or public holidays. They did this by really shuffling the per day pricing and increasing prices.

I can’t see how this will lower attendance, people just won’t pay for this add on. However, this could push up average revenue if attendance is getting a little soft, but some percentage (even if it’s rather small) are big spenders that will toss $400 towards this premium product.

If you think about it, each lightning lane premium sold acts like four people buying standard lower tier (cheaper) park tickets. I doubt it increases wait time by the same amount as four additional people though. Sell 2,500 of these passes a day and you collect the same revenue as 10,000 additional park tickets sold…

You also don’t need additional staff since it’s not a guided tour.

You don’t sell additional food or merchandise, and honestly you might actually sell less merchandise if some people sacrifice that to afford this premium pass… but food and merchandise is what the SoCal annual pass is for.
Good answer AndrewC you must think like I think when it comes to good ideas
Dodger

“I always believed that Disney was a brand that needs to be accessible. And I think that in our zeal to grow profits, we may have been a little bit too aggressive about some of our pricing. And I think there is a way to continue to grow our business but be smarter about how we price so that we maintain that brand value of accessibility.” - Iger
And this is why I have the pic on my profile that I do. Say one thing, but do the complete opposite. Disney has completely priced out certain economic groups or at least made the product less appealing having to pay more to have an enjoyable time on vacation.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest