I am renting my first scooter to use at WDW, and guess what I am going to do?

JoannaOhio said:
There is one thing I am very conscientious about, though. I try to pick a single slot handicap parking place - leaving the van-accessible spaces open for those who need to extend a ramp out in order to get their wheelchair or scooter out of their van.QUOTE]Thank you, Thank you, Thank you !!!! :love1:
I wish all HP drivers knew how vital the Van spots are to us who need them.

My doctor told me last summer to go get the paper work done for a handicapped parking sign. I put t off until the snow and ice came and I fell dislocating my shoulder. I got the paperwork done and brought t along for the Dr to sign. I expected it to be a temporary pass the debate, I thought was which (6 months or 8 months) sort of thing. He checked of the permanent section and than i burst into tears. It really hit home that I was not a young whipper snapper anymore, I didn't want to face that. I have an invisable disabilty and I cannot stand/ walk for long periods without pain. It was an eye opening experience to say the least. At WDW in March I walked and learned that while I loved WDW, I would have LOVED it with a scooter. Look for this Pixie driving a scooter in DisneyLand, Califonia this July!

I hope the original poster has a wonderful time at OKW & WDW. I just came back from another great stay at OKW using a rented ECV. We were in an elevator building. I find the paths very accessible for getting around the resort. We usually got on the bus at the Hospitality House, but frequently got off at the first stop on the return - Peninsular Road. Be sure there is a comment in your reservation that you need a first floor room or an elevator building for medical reasons.

Regarding handicap van parking - I saw a van parked at OKW that said please do not park within so many feet of this van. I hope people pay attention.

Also, don't hesitate to ask you doctor about a handicap parking permit. I don't use mine all the time, but when I have a not so good day, it sure helps!

JudithM said:
Regarding handicap van parking - I saw a van parked at OKW that said please do not park within so many feet of this van. I hope people pay attention.
They don't!
Our old van had the sticker on the side and we got parked in several times (at least once by someone who parked in the cross-hatched no parking area).
When we got a new van, the salesperson suggested we not bother with the sticker.
Actually, the only person I know of who ever noticed/commented about our sticker was a guy changing our oil at Rapid Oil Change where the worker is in a pit under your vehicle. He could see the stickers, but not what they said and he was worried!

Sue, I figured people probably ignored the sticker, but I could be hopeful :). As much as I appreciate the convenience of parking in a handicapped parking spot, I don't park in it, if it says vn accessible. Someone like you with your daughter need that handicapped spot more than I do.

JudithM said:
Sue, I figured people probably ignored the sticker, but I could be hopeful :). As much as I appreciate the convenience of parking in a handicapped parking spot, I don't park in it, if it says vn accessible. Someone like you with your daughter need that handicapped spot more than I do.
Thank you for your consideration.
One thing that I think would help would be if they did not position the van accessible spots to be closest to the entrance. Many people with a handicapped parking permit are just looking for the closest spot to the entrance. For the most part, people who have a wheelchair van do have a wheelchair and could go a little further distance without much diffculty if they have a van accessible spot.

What a fun thread - here's hoping your trip is magical. I've got several comments. As for the van parking, this drives me nuts. We have to put the ramp out too, but it's at the rear of our van and we still need a van accessible spot, but often can't find one. People have no idea what kind of struggle this can cause for those of us who can't get our chair out without being able to lower the ramp. We've had to more than once park, half out of the space (since I can't lower the ramp without help from Lynn) get out, lower the ramp, remove my chair, then pull the van back into the space. :rolleyes: Not only is it time consuming, it's dangerous for us to be half in/half out of a space.

As for enjoying the scooter, I know what you mean. On our first trip after getting cancer I was still in that "I can do anything anyway" mode and boy was it tough. In the past 5 years the cancer has spread to many bones making it very difficult for me to walk long distances. Disney is the one place that I feel free. I love all the places I can go and enjoy!! This has been discussed many times, but I do get frustrated sometimes when I can see people giving me looks when I get out of my scooter or chair and walk somewhere. I always feel they are thinking I'm abusing the system. I don't always "look" sick or handicapped and thus their reactions. This trip however my hair is gone again so I'm at least thinking that might clue people in - lol!

Ray, here's hoping you have a wonderful trip and enjoy all the freedom you will have!! BTW, I've used Randy's before I got my own scooter and was very pleased.
Lisa
Tiger Fan

I always like the people who park 2 feet over the line. There is a reason for the van spots and when they park over the line it really makes the access isle useless. And it always seems to be the 80+ guy who can bearly drive anyways that does it, so any amount of talking ot him won't change anything. Oh well atleast we can do the half in half out or just pull up to the curb and load that way.

SueM in MN said:
Another thing I've seen and meant to do (but always forgot about it until too late) are small flashlights called Snakelights. They are a medium size flashlight with a flexible body. You can bend them to fit around your wrist, part of the scooter, etc.

You will have a great time. you sound very much like my FIL. He finally rented an ecv at Epcot the last day of our trip last year. This year, he rented twice, at Epcot and MGM. Maybe next year, he will rent from one of the off-site places (I've printed out all the contact info for him several times). He did say he felt silly for having been so stubborn to not rent one for so many years.

That's a good idea about the snake light. I always carry a waist pack with one of those small key ring flash lights, too. Thanks for the warning of the dark trails. Maybe I should be careful about travelling at night in the Wilderness Campgrounds when watching the Campfire movie, marshmellow events or going to Hoop-Dee-Doo-Muscical Review at night.

Is that path from Wilderness Lodge Resort to Wilderness Campgound just a plain dirt path? I think that it is. I've also seen a paved path/road between the WL entrance and bus stop. I guess that this is for WDW busses.

Ray

dj2 said:
please don't "feel embarassed." i think each state has it's own guideines as to what abilities (or lack of abilities) a person must have in order to qualify for tags. you may or may not quailfy now, but you'd need to check your state's rules/regs to know. if you do qualify, it doesn't mean you HAVE to park in an accessible spot. -dj

Thank you for your advice. Of course, you are correct. I went to the physician's office last week to check on a hard lump on my back, and I told him about renting a scooter for the first time.

I should have asked him then.

Ray

JoannaOhio said:
...My doc and I agreed that when I have the energy, I won't use my handicap parking tag. However, if not using it means that I exhaust all of my energy getting from the parking lot into the store, that's a good day to use it to park closer. There is one thing I am very conscientious about, though. I try to pick a single slot handicap parking place - leaving the van-accessible spaces open for those who need to extend a ramp out in order to get their wheelchair or scooter out of their van.

:grouphug:

I agree with you, I don't understand why anyone would intentionally park in a space meant for someone that really needs it. That is very nice of you.

And thanks for the advice. I guess that I am still in the deniel phase. When a WDW Castmember sees my cane next to me in the car, he tries to direct me the the handicap parking at Epcot, I say no, I can walk. I know...stupid me.

Ray

Meezers said:
Sounds like you are going to have a great time! We met some friends from the UK....the male half had a scooter for the first time...he was quite crippled from different ailments. It was wonderful to watch him have mobility...although his wife had a hard time keeping up with him!

Don't you think if you have the scooter you ought to carry all the park supplies? I keep threatening my Mom that I am gonna get one for her so she can carry the backpack :)

Absolutely, I should. I remember volunteering to carry and hold stuff on several DIS meets when at Epcot when renting an ECV, like souvenirs, jackets, cameras, etc..

I remember seeing a cute, older couple holding hands while sitting in their individual ECV's while watching the Epcot Illumination fireworks show.

clkelley said:
...He has finally had his knee replacement surgery and is doing wonderful!! However, I suspect that for our next few trips in July and November, he will still bring the scooter with him. Maybe by next October's trip he'll be able to go without it!!!

Carol

I hope that he heals real fast so that he can do without the scooter. Have fun on your upcoming trips.

Ray

Nanajo1 said:
...I wish all HP drivers knew how vital the Van spots are to us who need them.

I do, and I go out of my way to remind others, too. I couldn't even imagine parking in a HP space.

Ray

Pixie said:
...It really hit home that I was not a young whipper snapper anymore, I didn't want to face that. I have an invisable disabilty and I cannot stand/ walk for long periods without pain. It was an eye opening experience to say the least. At WDW in March I walked and learned that while I loved WDW, I would have LOVED it with a scooter. Look for this Pixie driving a scooter in DisneyLand, Califonia this July!

You have a wonderful time at Disneyland. And I am getting so excited about my trip to WDW.

I can walk along any sidewalk that I want to without getting out of breath, or feel like I'm going to fall down. I can go to all those walks that I always wanted to go on, but was afraid to.

My first walk will be along the trail from Old Key West Resort to Sarasota Springs to DownTown Disney, and then a bus trip to Magic Kingdom to watch Spectromagic and Wishes fireworks.

Ray

JudithM said:
I hope the original poster has a wonderful time at OKW & WDW. I just came back from another great stay at OKW using a rented ECV. We were in an elevator building. I find the paths very accessible for getting around the resort. We usually got on the bus at the Hospitality House, but frequently got off at the first stop on the return - Peninsular Road. Be sure there is a comment in your reservation that you need a first floor room or an elevator building for medical reasons.

Also, don't hesitate to ask you doctor about a handicap parking permit. I don't use mine all the time, but when I have a not so good day, it sure helps!

Thank you for the information.

I let the WDW reservationist know about my scooter my whole stay, but I requested not to use a handicap accessible room if possible so that I could have a bathtub instead of a rollin shower.

No parking pass yet, but I will keep an eye out for those HP signs and HP spaces, and try to tactfully remind others that park illegally.

Ray

JudithM said:

I agree wholeheartedly.

SueM in MN said:
Thank you for your consideration.
One thing that I think would help would be if they did not position the van accessible spots to be closest to the entrance. Many people with a handicapped parking permit are just looking for the closest spot to the entrance. For the most part, people who have a wheelchair van do have a wheelchair and could go a little further distance without much diffculty if they have a van accessible spot.

Hi, Sue. You and the other moderators have make a great forum here. Thank you for all of the volunteer work to keep us informed.

I think that inconsiderate people will still be inconsiderate and park where ever they want to park regardless of the signs...jmho.

Ray

Tiger Fan said:
What a fun thread - here's hoping your trip is magical. I've got several comments. As for the van parking, this drives me nuts. We have to put the ramp out too, but it's at the rear of our van and we still need a van accessible spot, but often can't find one. People have no idea what kind of struggle this can cause for those of us who can't get our chair out without being able to lower the ramp. We've had to more than once park, half out of the space
(since I can't lower the ramp without help from
Lynn) get out, lower the ramp, remove my chair, then pull the van back into the space. :rolleyes: Not only is it time consuming, it's dangerous for us to be half in/half out of a space.

As for enjoying the scooter, I know what you mean. On our first trip after getting cancer I was still in that "I can do anything anyway" mode and boy was it tough. In the past 5 years the cancer has spread to many bones making it very difficult for me to walk long distances. Disney is the one place that I feel free. I love all the places I can go and enjoy!! This has been discussed many times, but I do get frustrated sometimes when I can see people giving me looks when I get out of my scooter or chair and walk somewhere. I always feel they are thinking I'm abusing the system. I don't always "look" sick or handicapped and thus their reactions. This trip however my hair is gone again so I'm at least thinking that might clue people in - lol!

Ray, here's hoping you have a wonderful trip and enjoy all the freedom you will have!! BTW, I've used Randy's before I got my own scooter and was very pleased.
Lisa
Tiger Fan

I hope that you have a wonderful trip, Lisa. And I hope that every look that you get will be a friendly smile like a warm embrace.

Sincerely, Ray

I wish that whenever a HP plate or placard is issued the receiver would take a test as to the rules and regulations of using it. I have found most people do not understand the hows and whys. I can not go by myself to my MD's or the hospital medical building because I have been blocked too many times. Folks using HP placards park in the hash marks of the van spaces. If you say anything they often respond "I have a HP placard". This does not permit them to park where ever they want! Oh well, My little rant. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter