HS graduation gift

What kind of HS graduation gift have you given?

• Total voters
What a great gift. If you're planning to do gift cards, I recommend a gift card for a gas station near campus even if he won't have a car. When we were in college, we'd offer to pay for gas for those who had cars if they'd give us rides to places.

What a great gift. If you're planning to do gift cards, I recommend a gift card for a gas station near campus even if he won't have a car. When we were in college, we'd offer to pay for gas for those who had cars if they'd give us rides to places.
A gas gift card might be a good idea in much of the country but not in areas with high garage costs and good public transport like Boston, NYC and maybe DC and Philly. In NYC, municipal garages are raising prices to $500.00 monthly to get closer to the cost of private garages, LOL. Most of the college kids I know now opt to car share from places like ZipCar and gas is included.

Cash. I always rolled up 2 twenties and taped change into a card to make their graduating year. So 2014 was 2 (1 twenty), 0 (1 twenty) and then a dime and 4 pennies.

I went to a high school graduation party last night and gave the graduate $100. This was my best friend’s grandson. My great niece’s party is in July and I will give her $200.

I’m glad too. I wouldn’t like to have a relative who expects a reward for something that’s expected of you.
We don’t do HS grad gifts as it is an expectation, no doubt it is probably slowly changing.
So you never give people gifts on their birthdays? After all, aren't they expected? It's not like they're a surprise or you have to do something special to make it to one. I guess that's one way to save money... no gifts until you graduate college.

OP, I still remember my aunt gave me a backpack (in my school colors) stuffed with necessities... a roll of quarters (there were payphones and pay for laundry), some small laundry detergent, paper towels, etc). I used that backpack all four years of college.

So you never give people gifts on their birthdays? After all, aren't they expected? It's not like they're a surprise or you have to do something special to make it to one. I guess that's one way to save money... no gifts until you graduate college.

OP, I still remember my aunt gave me a backpack (in my school colors) stuffed with necessities... a roll of quarters (there were payphones and pay for laundry), some small laundry detergent, paper towels, etc). I used that backpack all four years of college.

This comment is over a year old. Your question has been asked and answered before.

Yes, it was asked and answered but now that's been revived some DISers who need to buy graduation gifts right now might find it useful. Along those lines, a few family members chipped in for a joint graduation gift for my cousin a few years ago. We bought her a Vera Bradley college ID lanyard with college's logo on it and put gift cards for places within walking distance of campus in it. She absolutely loved it and said she got tons of compliments on it when she got to school. Her campus is huge and she found it handy for when she was out and about campus and didn't want to carry a purse.

This comment is over a year old. Your question has been asked and answered before.
I apologize for getting sucked into a zombie thread. I went back through the thread again, and used the search feature for all posts by you and @jevs. I don't see where anyone has said (despite multiple people pointing it out) why a HS graduation is "expected" and not deserving of gifts, but birthdays (also presumably expected) are deserving of gifts. If I've missed it, please feel free to point it out.

• My nephew is graduating high school next month and will be heading to college in NC in August. I usually give him a $100 gift for BD's and Christmas.
  • I'm trying to figure out a gift. Cash? How much?
  • Any suggestions?pluto::smickey:
I would give cash, but I'd probably give $50. Of course we do only a $25 gift for our niece and nephew for birthdays and Christmas.

Yes, it was asked and answered but now that's been revived some DISers who need to buy graduation gifts right now might find it useful. Along those lines, a few family members chipped in for a joint graduation gift for my cousin a few years ago. We bought her a Vera Bradley college ID lanyard with college's logo on it and put gift cards for places within walking distance of campus in it. She absolutely loved it and said she got tons of compliments on it when she got to school. Her campus is huge and she found it handy for when she was out and about campus and didn't want to carry a purse.
I apologize for getting sucked into a zombie thread. I went back through the thread again, and used the search feature for all posts by you and @jevs. I don't see where anyone has said (despite multiple people pointing it out) why a HS graduation is "expected" and not deserving of gifts, but birthdays (also presumably expected) are deserving of gifts. If I've missed it, please feel free to point it out.
I saw the alerts on this post. My nephew has happily finished his first year of college- but there are more nieces graduating soon!
Honestly, I can’t believe it’s been a year already.

Question though- I have a HS student who is assigned to help me with duties like filing, making copies, and other light tasks. She gets some sort of credit as part of a class, and is graduating in two 1/2 weeks. I like the Vera Bradley idea, with a little gift card maybe. Any other ideas? She is a sweet kid, hard worker, it’s not clear if she’s headed to the local junior college but she’s definitely looking for a job.

Thank you! I didn't mean to butt in the thread. I haven't been to a graduation party since I graduated so I wasn't sure. $100 seemed excessive for my husbands' friend's child, but I wasn't sure.

I'm kind of in your same boat. I was invited to my friend's son's graduation party. I have only become good friends with her in the last few years, so I don't feel like I really "watched her son grow up". I wasn't sure what to give him - I was thinking $40.

I voted cash....that way he an spend it on whatever he needs.

For HS graduates going to college, I usually get a laundry basket and fill w/ necessities....towels, sheets, laundry detergent, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter