HS graduation gift

What kind of HS graduation gift have you given?

• Total voters
High school graduations here are much bigger than college graduations- I don't recall ever going to a college grad party, for my brothers we went out to dinner with him and his god parents and that was it.

As far as a gift goes there really isn't a "standard" gift, my daughter got anywhere from 20.00 from friends that came to her party to 1,000.00 that her uncle gave her. He also gave her 100.00 a month spending money while in college so that was a major gift and VERY unexpected! Most family, neighbors etc gave between 50-100.
Curious how the monthly gift thing worked? Did he mail a check? Or deposit it in an account? I'm wondering how to send money to him in college if I were to do so.

Curious how the monthly gift thing worked? Did he mail a check? Or deposit it in an account? I'm wondering how to send money to him in college if I were to do so.

Our kids grandfather makes a deposit once a semester to their checking account.

Also they have funds attached to their school ids that can be used on campus and around the town at drug stores, gas stations, dorm laundry, and restaurants.

Maybe his college has something similar

Our kids grandfather makes a deposit once a semester to their checking account.

Also they have funds attached to their school ids that can be used on campus and around the town at drug stores, gas stations, dorm laundry, and restaurants.

Maybe his college has something similar
UNC I'll have to do some research. :thanks:

I’m sending my nephew a check for $50. I had planned $100 but there will be several nieces/nephews graduating next year and a $100 a piece would be too much all at once. So precedent set, fifty bucks it is.

I like the combo of monetary gift plus something tangible, and have done it myself for nieces/nephews.

My suggestions are a hoodie sweatshirt from their college (you can put a check/cash in the front pocket), or a set of bath towels, monogrammed with either initials or first name (great if sharing a dorm bathroom with others).

A nice watch would also be appropriate for a boy, although many young adults no longer wear watches.

Last edited:

I put it into my account and since hers is a high school checking account that is attached to my account I just transferred over the money once a month.

He's not expecting anything and I'm not attending a party if there is one as he's a plane ride away. He's my nephew, godson, and I'm super proud to have watched him grow from a infant into a smart, friendly, kind human being. His grandfather passed two weeks before he was born and he is the spitting image of him. I couldn't help but think my dad and he would have been so close. This kid is special and as his aunt I want to give him something in addition to the money he's earned while in HS, to help him as he goes off to college. :tinker: pixiedust:

That’s great :) When I say graduating from HS is expected, I mean it’s the standard thing here and no big deal (not that ppl are expecting gifts for doing it). Lots of kids here never go on to do further education which is why graduating from Uni is the bigger deal, and you could probably add trade school in there as well.

That said, a lot of parents here help pay for Uni, textbooks, or accommodation here so I guess in a roundabout way those kids continuing education are getting a HS grad gift going by the above post of outfitting a dorm.

Give cash, that is the most thoughtful gift, unless they are already loaded. I have a daughter graduating next month and I am not ashamed to say I hope that she gets some cash from the friends and relatives for a grad gift. She needs a new computer for college and also money for text books. I gave my two nieces $125 when they graduated. I would not be trying to give dorm room gifts, they have limited space and I am guessing his parents are on that job already. Money would be appreciated I am sure!

My nephew is graduating from his and We did a basket with plastic dishes for his dorm with some snacks and a 50 Netflix card and a 50 dominos go - there is a dominos right across the street from his college

Not giving a thing is not an option

Gas card is always a great option for a driving teen. After all, who likes paying for gas.

My boyfriends parents who are Disney fans and DVC owners gave are going to surprise my boyfriend this Thursday when he graduates with a weeks stay at WDW. The best part of it all is that his parents asked my mom if it would be OK if I joined him on this trip. My Mom said yes. This will be my first time going to WDW with my Mom and I am so looking forward to it. My boyfriend and I will be celebrating our 2 years together on my 16th birthday May 27th. We have been best friends for many years as he is my next door neighbor since we moved in this home 10 years ago.

Gas card is always a great option for a driving teen. After all, who likes paying for gas.
You're talking my language! I actually got him a gas card and a Moes card for Christmas. School, lacrosse, job.. Bet he burned through them. And NO ONE likes paying for gas. However, I don't think he's bringing his truck out to school Freshman year.

It depends on whether it's a high school or college graduation, and what the relationship is to me. We don't recognize any other graduations....kindergarten, middle school, etc.
We have two high school graduations next month. One if for twin boys...we are very good friends of the family and have known the boys since they were born. They will each get $100. We have another young man who we have gotten very friendly with over the past year...he will also get $100. When dd's friends came to her graduations parties, some gave gift cards (for small amounts) or small gifts.
When it's family, all bets are off! Both my dh's brothers were very generous when our dd graduated. She got $500 from each of them when she graduated college two years ago! So, of course, when our nephew graduated last year, we had to reciprocate!!! Good thing, for us, he is the only other child in the family!!!

So, I guess it's up to each person to decide. If it's just a friend of my child's, they get $50. If it's a good friend of our family, then it's more.
I think one of the best high school graduation gifts my dd got was a huge laundry bag, with her initials embroidered on it, with two rolls of quarters, detergent and softener sheets in it!!

So for what occasions do you give a gift?
I was wondering the same. What is considered special enough to receive a gift? Everyone has a birthday, the majority of adults will get married at some point, millions of babies are born every year...

As for the OP, I would give about $250.

Last edited:
It depends on whether it's a high school or college graduation, and what the relationship is to me. We don't recognize any other graduations....kindergarten, middle school, etc.
We have two high school graduations next month. One if for twin boys...we are very good friends of the family and have known the boys since they were born. They will each get $100. We have another young man who we have gotten very friendly with over the past year...he will also get $100. When dd's friends came to her graduations parties, some gave gift cards (for small amounts) or small gifts.
When it's family, all bets are off! Both my dh's brothers were very generous when our dd graduated. She got $500 from each of them when she graduated college two years ago! So, of course, when our nephew graduated last year, we had to reciprocate!!! Good thing, for us, he is the only other child in the family!!!

So, I guess it's up to each person to decide. If it's just a friend of my child's, they get $50. If it's a good friend of our family, then it's more.
I think one of the best high school graduation gifts my dd got was a huge laundry bag, with her initials embroidered on it, with two rolls of quarters, detergent and softener sheets in it!!
College washer and dryers operate with a swipe of a card, ds’s are free, my kids lived in very old dorms, and even those were quarter free. Pop up hampers are very practical.

I would do $100 and a tervis from his school.

I've done this several times, we live in Ohio and a lot of kids end up going to Ohio State. I usually get an Ohio State Tervis water bottle, fill it with buckeyes (the candy kind) and give that along with a card with cash or a check. The denomination varies on how well we know someone or if we're related, etc. If you usually give $100 for birthdays, I'd say $150 would be more than generous for a grad gift.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts