How to ensure banked points are used first?

jlnten17

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
I just purchased 200 points at The Polynesian. We have a Dec UY and received 200 points for 2016 which we were allowed to bank and will also have 200 additional as of Dec 2017. I want to rent out the 200 banked points. We probably will not be able to travel to WDW this year at all and will end up banking the 2017 points until Dec 2018 then take a large trip next winter. HOWEVER - I want to make a reservation for May 2018 using Dec 17 UY points because there is a slight chance- if the kids school doesn't have any snow days to make up- we could make it down around May 19 for a few days. I know we have to cancel 31+ days out which is no problem. But will it matter the timing on that trip vs the rented trips in whether or not the points on my own reservation are the 2016 banked points? Meaning if I cancel will it still use 2016 first based on using 2016 for any reservation or if I schedule this reservation first then the rental reservations are the rental reservations dipping into 2017 because mine was made first and it will NOT automatically reallocate the points based on my (possibly) cancelled trip? I hope someone can make sense of what I am trying to say here lol. Basically I know I can cancel by April as snow days are pretty much over. And I know I can bank 2017 points until July 31. But what I don't want to have happen is now somehow the cancelled trip is considered 2016 points and I am trying to rent them in April when they have to be used before Dec. If it matters, I intend to use David's to rent out 200 points.

Because the system pulls borrowed and banked points first whichever reservation were made first will pull the banked points.

If you want to set them aside you can make a dummy reservation that uses those points and then make your reservation. Cancel the dummy reservation and it will return the banked points so you can use them for a rental. If you were to end up deciding you wanted to use the 2016 points yourself and not rent then you could ask MS to reallocate the banked points to your existing reservation and free up the 2017 points.

Because the system pulls borrowed and banked points first whichever reservation were made first will pull the banked points.

If you want to set them aside you can make a dummy reservation that uses those points and then make your reservation. Cancel the dummy reservation and it will return the banked points so you can use them for a rental. If you were to end up deciding you wanted to use the 2016 points yourself and not rent then you could ask MS to reallocate the banked points to your existing reservation and free up the 2017 points.
Great idea Thank You!

the CM I talked to last week told me they will use borrowed or banked points first . I still don't trust that so I make sure I tell them what to use.

the CM I talked to last week told me they will use borrowed or banked points first . I still don't trust that so I make sure I tell them what to use.

When a reservation is made, banked are used first, then current UY, and then borrowed points if you need them. Remember, you can't borrow unless you need them to complete reservation. If you cancel a reservation that has both banked and borrowed points, then yes, those would be used up before current UY points if making a new reservation. The online system works the same way...it will always pull the banked/borrowed first. But, making it known to a CM never hurts!

Mine were used in the wrong order once and I just called Member Services and they corrected it for me ;)

If you end up needing to cancel a reservation and therefore have banked points left you just call member services and ask them to reallocate the points so you uses the banked points first.

Correct me if I misspeak, but.... if you borrow points to make a reservation and then cancel the reservation, the borrowed points remain in the current UY...they do not revert back to the year you borrowed them from...ie...if you use 2017 banked points, 2018 current points and 2019 borrowed points for a reservation and then cancel the reservation, the 2019 borrowed points remain as 2018 points...they do not go back as 2019 points.

Correct me if I misspeak, but.... if you borrow points to make a reservation and then cancel the reservation, the borrowed points remain in the current UY...they do not revert back to the year you borrowed them from...ie...if you use 2017 banked points, 2018 current points and 2019 borrowed points for a reservation and then cancel the reservation, the 2019 borrowed points remain as 2018 points...they do not go back as 2019 points.

Correct. The 2017 & 2019 points become 2018 points & must be used by the end of the 2018 UY.

I have a question to piggy back on the OP's question. Is there a way to tell on the DVC site where my points are from? I have an Aug UY. I banked my 2017 points into 2018 to book my December 2017 trip. After banking the points and making the reservation I have 26 points left. Can I tell if those are 2018 points and available to bank into 2019 or are they 2017 points that will need to be used in my 2018 UY?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter