How early do you get to the airport?

we always plan to arrive at the airport (meaning already parked and IN the building) a minimum of two hours before the flight. If it's Orlando, closer to 2 1/2 hours. I'd rather spend extra time sitting in the airport than be in traffic worrying about being late.
Yea, this is us. Sadly, experience has shown us that MCO requires extra time for us to avoid the stress of waiting really long in security some trips.

With a six year old and a toddler, we get there pretty early. Rather be at the gate and let them play than rush them through security and be stressed about it.

I don't understand why you would get to your home airport earlier for an international flight? There is nothing different on the departure end than a domestic flight, go through the same security, check bags the same way, what am I missing? I know the terminal/gates might be further away but other than that I can't think of a single reason to show up any earlier? Now, coming back from an international location is a different story.

For us, the last few times we flew International we were unable to check in until we got to the airport, and then we could check out luggage. So there was additional time needed to wait in lines to do both @ Dulles & PHL that I didn't need to wait in if I fly domestic.

I don't understand why you would get to your home airport earlier for an international flight? There is nothing different on the departure end than a domestic flight, go through the same security, check bags the same way, what am I missing? I know the terminal/gates might be further away but other than that I can't think of a single reason to show up any earlier? Now, coming back from an international location is a different story.
Most airlines have different check-in cut off times for international flights and start boarding for international flights earlier (and cut-off boarding earlier).

For me (living in Europe). "international flights" mean going through exit passport control which needs extra time (international in quotes because I actually mean flying to a non-Schengen country), so I do arrive earlier then.

I always give myself plenty of time -even at tiny airports. You just never know.

Once, when flying to MCO from a small airport at the crack of dawn, a couple of bus loads of junior high kids traveling to Washington DC got dropped off and it was absolutely chaos … nobody was prepared for all the passengers for one flight to appear at the same time and security became completely bottle necked. I saw lots of panicked people who didn’t bargain on an hour long wait at security at 5:00am.

Most airlines have different check-in cut off times for international flights and start boarding for international flights earlier (and cut-off boarding earlier).

For me (living in Europe). "international flights" mean going through exit passport control which needs extra time (international in quotes because I actually mean flying to a non-Schengen country), so I do arrive earlier then.

I guess that makes sense if you're flying directly to your international destination. When we fly out of CLE we usually connect somewhere else first so nothing different. We do fly direct to Mexico from CLE but that is just like any other flight out of there in my experience.

eta: we all have pre-check too so pretty much just walk through security.

At my local small airport, I leave my house 20 minutes away about 90 minutes before departure. I can get from the front door to the furthest gate in 6 minutes including TSA. For MCO I try to have the rental returned, and baggage checked by 90 minutes. I have Pre and even in the insane morning hours it doesn't take more than 20 minutes.

There is no such thing as being at the airport too early! I'm there now for my next flight, and I haven't even booked it yet! 🤣

Seriously, I always think of when do I need to be there, knock that back by about half an hour, then figure on about 15 minuted before that, but then leave 15 minutes earlier than I'd need to for that.

There is no such thing as being at the airport too early! I'm there now for my next flight, and I haven't even booked it yet! 🤣

Seriously, I always think of when do I need to be there, knock that back by about half an hour, then figure on about 15 minuted before that, but then leave 15 minutes earlier than I'd need to for that.
I've had some seriously long waits at airports.
1) In college, flying home, the ride I could get to the airport (WAY before ride share) dropped me off five hours before my flight. Couldn't check luggage until three hours before, so I had to sit outside security and pass the time.
2) In Vegas, coming home from a week long business trip, I got to the airport like 9 hours before my flight. It was a red eye, had to be out of the hotel room by 11, had no interest in gambling.

If I had my choice, I'd get to the gate about 15-30 minutes before boarding starts. But I obviously have no problem if I'm at the gate HOURS before.

I've had some seriously long waits at airports.
1) In college, flying home, the ride I could get to the airport (WAY before ride share) dropped me off five hours before my flight. Couldn't check luggage until three hours before, so I had to sit outside security and pass the time.
2) In Vegas, coming home from a week long business trip, I got to the airport like 9 hours before my flight. It was a red eye, had to be out of the hotel room by 11, had no interest in gambling.

If I had my choice, I'd get to the gate about 15-30 minutes before boarding starts. But I obviously have no problem if I'm at the gate HOURS before.
Our most recent trip, to Costa Rica. The return flight was so early that based on the time that the car service gave us for transport from our hotel, we actually got there before the check-in counter was open. We weren't alone, though - there were a couple dozen other people there as well. We actually saw the one gate agent walk by us with an empty coffee pot and come back with a pot of water and go behind the baggage area. Couldn't really fault him - I would wait until my coffee is ready before I started my day as well. :p

My one home airport is YYZ In Toronto. When flying to the USA , customs is taken care of by the US in that airport. It’s very busy. Especially in the terminal Air Canada is in. You need all of 3 hrs.

Two hours. We all bring e-readers and eat lunch. We are only flying once this year and doing a few driving trips. Next year we will fly a lot more so I think TSA pre-check would be worth it at some point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter