How early do you get to the airport?

Word to the wise headed to DL; LGB and SNA - you can comfortably make it from the parking lot to your gate if you give yourself an hour. LAX - you better make it 3 hours.

Now how much more would you pay for that flight into an other-than-LAX airport?

If it is SNA we only get there 1 hour early. Never crowded. We get to SeaTac 3 hours early so we can hit the priority pass airport lounge and eat at Bambuza where we get a $28/per person food credit.

Coming back from Vegas today we cut it much closer than our usual one and a half to two hours before flight departure.

Seems to only happen when leaving Vegas.

Normally we like to take advantage of the airline lounge before our flight.

However today we walked directly from the skycap to security to the concourse shuttle to boarding the plane. The plane boarded for another 15 minutes and the door was shut.

There was an accident on the way to the rental car return but it only slowed us down one cycle of the traffic light. Anything more severe and we might have missed our flight.

It was a little nerve wracking.
Depends on the airport, but somewhere between 1.25-2 hrs.

For a domestic flight try to get to the airport at least 2 hours before if not longer and usually when we travel we are on the first or second flight of a day to that location. For an international our local airport does not have direct to a lot of other countries and for us instead of going on multiple flights we take an Amtrak to another airport where the station is right there and we will book a mid to late morning train which is about a few hours since we worry there could be a delay so allow way more than enough time.

For our flight out to Vegas this morning, we got in an Uber 2 hours before flight time. We had our bags checked and were through security with over an hour before boarding. We’re not returning a car before our flight home on Friday, so we’ll plan accordingly to get to the airport on time.

Leaving for Nashville for a conference tomorrow. Leaves at 1:10 p.m. - targeting arrival by 11 a.m.

Usually, my flights are super early -- I still plan on 2 hours before.

Just found out my TSA Precheck expired in August (guess they don't remind you). I renewed online, and hoping that it'll be renewed in time for my flight out on Sunday.

For busy airports I try to arrive two hours ahead. Small local airports at least half an hour less.

it depends, solo in vegas after meetings I am usually dropped off at the airport 45 min before departure, check my bag and through tsa precheck and at the gate before boarding. This is to close for comfort for my wife though, she gets nervious when I want to enter a club and have a snack before we go to the gate.

Our last trip to Orlando we returned the car and checked our bags 90 min ahead and had extra time. I would recommend TSA precheck.

I will say that I have status with my airline and TSA precheck so it helps cut some of the lines, but I'm not a fan of waiting more than an hour at the airport.

We usually end up being really early when flying out of BOS because the potential for traffic is high (about 90 miles on the Mass Pike to get there). Flying out of BDL doesn't require as much delay time built in, but I'm still always there with plenty of time.

My regional airport that is 10 min from my house? I leave my house an hour before the flight, I can park and be at my gate in 10 min esp if not checking luggage. We have precheck so don't need to remove shoes, etc. Flying out of CLE, 1.5 - 2 hours depending on time of day etc. Sometimes if we are flying home from an airport that has a nice lounge we will get there 2-3 hours early just to partake of the "free" food and drinks instead of buying a meal elsewhere.

I like to be through security and at the gate at least one hour before departure time. I feel less anxious waiting at the gate and don’t mind sitting there waiting for boarding.

I only flown once and I got there 4 hours early because I thought it would be an absolute mess with security. It was much different on Sept. 11, 2002. Only 3 people at KPIT and two of us were the security that just glanced at my ticket. Massively different than my expectation.

Obvious just making a point with the "only 3 people" but I know someone will call me out on it... There were actually only 3 other people specifically on my plane. The 2 security and those other 3 and the person at the gate were the only people I saw.

Depends - but generally I like to be parking by 2 hours prior. If it's a international flight I do 3 hours since it usually involves more waiting in line.

My goal is to be at the airport entrance 2 hrs prior to the flight. Transit time TO the airport as well as parking is in addition to that. You never know how long the lines might be for checking in your baggage or going thru TSA. Even with pre-check, there can still be delays. I would rather shop/eat a snack/etc. by arriving early then be racing to the gate so I don't miss my flight. Only if it some tiny regional airport can you chance getting there closer to your departure time.

Two hours domestic, three international. Our airport is Newark liberty (25 minutes away) followed by LaGuardia and JFK, so not small.

3 hours out of LAX. It took my husband 35 minutes to go one mile near LAX at10 pm last night.You can;t predict LA.

And this is why I won't use LAX. It's such an unpredictable nightmare.

I have PreCheck so I always try to arrive at my home airport (SNA) 1 hour before takeoff. It's always efficient and I am through security within 15 minutes of walking through the front door. I never need to eat before a departure because I bring food with me if necessary or just eat at home. I live 10 minutes from the airport.

When I'm flying home, I try to be at the airport 2 hours before my flight, or a bit earlier if I need to grab food first. I don't like sitting around the airport before a flight, unless I am in a lounge.

Word to the wise headed to DL; LGB and SNA - you can comfortably make it from the parking lot to your gate if you give yourself an hour. LAX - you better make it 3 hours.

Now how much more would you pay for that flight into an other-than-LAX airport?

You’re referring to from Disneyland? I’m looking up TSA typical wait times and it’s almost universally under 15 minutes. So if you get to the airport terminal in time, it doesn’t seem to be that bad. But I’m assuming your reference is about Southern California traffic?

2 hours. If I'm flying during a non-peak time (mid-week, not spring break, winter break, holiday weekend, etc) from my mid-sized airport, I might arrive at the 1.5 hour mark. I prefer to have extra time than cutting it close.

If I'm flying out of a large airport then 2-3 hours early. Traffic and long lines can quickly eat up time buffers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter