How do I make it special?

TNRMMP

Earning My Ears
First thank you DISboards for this forum!!! I am a single parent of a DD(16). She is a Disney fan just like me. We have traveled to Disney many times with just us two (we've tried with other people, non Disney people, it just wasn't as fun). Anyway, we have had a little bit of a rough time these last few years and had cut out our Disney vacations from our budget. Well, this year I wanted to take a short weekend trip during the MLK weekend (3-day weekend) in January. Our birthdays are one week apart and 1/8 and 1/15. What are some things that I can do to make our combined birthday trip special?
Having dinner at our favorite restaurant is definite must? But what else? TIA :)

:love: Hello!!!!!! How exciting that you made the decision to go back!!! We plan on returning in April & my twin boys will be 16, my youngest 12!! Life is so stressful w/teens! I made a promise to myself that we will go back this year, because we all need it.
~ So where are you staying? You have 3 days. The FIRST thing I would do before you go is about 5 days before getting there send a fax. NOTHING is guarenteed but this worked for me. Send a fax to the HOTEL. Be super nice. Explain you are a single mom of a 16yr old and going through a rough time. You only have 3 days & if THEY have any suggestions to make this a more magical trip. Then throw in a BASIC request like you would love a 3rd floor or something like that. Also, add that it's both your birthdays!!!! I never got a response but my room was UPGRADED to a Royal Room, pool view @ POR.
ALSO remember discounts come out so maybe you can extend your stay one day???
Tell everyone it's both your bdays!!! Every ADR you make you add that to! When you reserve your room tell them!
Have tea @ Grand Floridian Cafe! I remember going with my roommate when I did the college program 124 yrs ago! I have friends that have been recently and it's beautiful. But, since you are short on time make sure it's something you both really would love. ~ I am one who truly loves to stop & smell the roses & the GF to me is just perfect for that.
Whatever you girls do will be memorable & special. Whether you sleep in & just do a park one day & shop or relax the others or if you do RD to closing all 3 days it will be special! Have a wonderful time.
pixiedust:

I was planning on staying at the AKL (budget permitting) for the 3 days as a splurge. I think the Tea at the GF would be perfect. We have never done that. I think we will only have 2 park days so I am trying to decide which two parks to visit. I think that I may want to do a safari @AKL but it may be too cold. In January it may be too cold (below 55 degrees) and they will have the animals out especially in the morning.
I will definitely make sure to get my buttons and add a birthday celebration to all of my ADR's.

First thank you DISboards for this forum!!! I am a single parent of a DD(16). She is a Disney fan just like me. We have traveled to Disney many times with just us two (we've tried with other people, non Disney people, it just wasn't as fun). Anyway, we have had a little bit of a rough time these last few years and had cut out our Disney vacations from our budget. Well, this year I wanted to take a short weekend trip during the MLK weekend (3-day weekend) in January. Our birthdays are one week apart and 1/8 and 1/15. What are some things that I can do to make our combined birthday trip special?
Having dinner at our favorite restaurant is definite must? But what else? TIA :)

Welcome to the group! I'm always excited to see it grow! I haven't been to WDW in over a decade, so I don't have any suggestions. However, I'm sure whatever you do with your DD will be great and memorable. Happy planning and once again, welcome to the group! :)

Welcome to the group!!! :welcome: One of the things I did for my son was I got a birthday mickey hat with his name on it. I know it might be harder to keep form a teen but don't tell her until you are ready to leave. I know no matter what you do the two of you will have a great time.

All of the constant Happy Birthdays as you wear your birthday buttons feels pretty special! DD and I are looking forward to her 16th birthday so that we can do the Backstage Magic and/or Keys to the Kingdom tour(s).

I would think being at disney is how you make it special? Considering her age, get her recommendations on how to celebrate and find somethign special to add as a surprise while doing her choice.

:love: Hello!!!!!! How exciting that you made the decision to go back!!! We plan on returning in April & my twin boys will be 16, my youngest 12!! Life is so stressful w/teens! I made a promise to myself that we will go back this year, because we all need it.
~ So where are you staying? You have 3 days. The FIRST thing I would do before you go is about 5 days before getting there send a fax. NOTHING is guarenteed but this worked for me. Send a fax to the HOTEL. Be super nice. Explain you are a single mom of a 16yr old and going through a rough time. You only have 3 days & if THEY have any suggestions to make this a more magical trip. Then throw in a BASIC request like you would love a 3rd floor or something like that. Also, add that it's both your birthdays!!!! I never got a response but my room was UPGRADED to a Royal Room, pool view @ POR.
ALSO remember discounts come out so maybe you can extend your stay one day???
Tell everyone it's both your bdays!!! Every ADR you make you add that to! When you reserve your room tell them!
Have tea @ Grand Floridian Cafe! I remember going with my roommate when I did the college program 124 yrs ago! I have friends that have been recently and it's beautiful. But, since you are short on time make sure it's something you both really would love. ~ I am one who truly loves to stop & smell the roses & the GF to me is just perfect for that.
Whatever you girls do will be memorable & special. Whether you sleep in & just do a park one day & shop or relax the others or if you do RD to closing all 3 days it will be special! Have a wonderful time.
pixiedust:
Very interestesting advice how I would I go about getting the Pop Century fax number going on our 1st trip in November.... should I fax? Fax what? WOULD LOVE A ROOM UPGRADE! :O

Very interestesting advice how I would I go about getting the Pop Century fax number going on our 1st trip in November.... should I fax? Fax what? WOULD LOVE A ROOM UPGRADE! :O
So when I was planning my POR stay I followed along the POR thread here on the dis! On the information page there was a fax number. I just faxed a simple letter. My name and dates. It was simple like I said. But, there was a ton of questions on the POR thread about sending faxes. A lot of people do it with mixed results. Good luck!!!

So when I was planning my POR stay I followed along the POR thread here on the dis! On the information page there was a fax number. I just faxed a simple letter. My name and dates. It was simple like I said. But, there was a ton of questions on the POR thread about sending faxes. A lot of people do it with mixed results. Good luck!!!

Thanks! I am learning all these terms and stuff lol whats is POR?

POR=port Orleans riverside.
Make it special by just being together. Talk, listen to what she says, laugh together., forget the outside stressors. Make it special by just spending time together!

POR=port Orleans riverside.
Make it special by just being together. Talk, listen to what she says, laugh together., forget the outside stressors. Make it special by just spending time together!

This is what makes our time at Disney so special that no one else understands. Something magical happens when we pass through that arch onto Disney property...stress goes away and time stands still. We reconnect and enjoy each other. And I'm just glad that she is 16yo. and values time with her mother.

I don't want over plan this weekend with DD with because as many has mentioned it is about our time together. I'm just looking for that one thing that we will remember in 20yrs. and say, "Do you remember when we went to Disney that time for our birthdays [and did ?]...wasn't that amazing!"

If it is in your budget, AKV have a nighttime safari that is about $70 and an evening safari that is much more $. I would do the night time safari. The animals are out 23/24 hours a day all year, or so they told me, so cold doesn't matter. They may not be as active.

But what I recommend more if it fits your budget is a mother/ daughter massage. My son and I did that last time and he loved it.

If it is in your budget, AKV have a nighttime safari that is about $70 and an evening safari that is much more $. I would do the night time safari. The animals are out 23/24 hours a day all year, or so they told me, so cold doesn't matter. They may not be as active.

But what I recommend more if it fits your budget is a mother/ daughter massage. My son and I did that last time and he loved it.

The last time we were there in the winter. They told us that certain animals (the giraffes in this case) would not be out if the temperature went below 55 degrees. Luckily, the following day was warmer and were able to see the giraffes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter