How come DCL isn't selling out?

After seeing the new itineraries, I don't know if we're gonna stick with dcl next year.. What other lines do yall recommend for 3 adults? I've been on royal Caribbean before, but not sure I'm thrilled with their itinaries
Celebrity is fantastic. Quality of food and dining is great. They also have a dining experience called “Le Petit Chef” where animation is actually projected onto your plate. It’s a specialty dining option and, truly, an amazing experience.

After seeing the new itineraries, I don't know if we're gonna stick with dcl next year.. What other lines do yall recommend for 3 adults? I've been on royal Caribbean before, but not sure I'm thrilled with their itinaries
I've sincerely enjoyed the Princess product. It's been a hot minute since I've cruised them, but I've done moms-only trips. They have the best coffee on the high seas IMO. ;) They also have some cool itineraries, IMO.

I also do have to say that DH and I enjoyed our adults-only Carnival cruise on an older ship. Their Alchemy bar was so much fun & we LOVE Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana. I've never done their upcharge dining, bc I am so happy with MDRs and late dining.

I'm not defending that behavior on Carnival but even DCL can have bad behavior. There is a video going viral on Tiktok of an adult woman trying to slide down a banister on the Wish and then falling to the side and hanging on while her friend goes to help her.

The thing that helps DCL not often have violent issues is a lack of a drink package. But while I was on the Wish in May there was a group of drunk passengers on the second floor of Luna who kept disrupting Match your Mate and then when asked to behave by the CM were yelling back and hanging over the balcony (far over) and it went back and forth for way too long before security actually did something. Bad behavior is not just a Carnival issue.
I have said before and I'll say again, sometimes you have to pay attention to the ship, not the particular line. In this case, you are looking at a 3/4 night "booze cruise" on the Paradise, one of their oldest ships. You will also get this on other lines (we saw things on Independence of the Seas, while not a fight, let's just say no one would be proud of this person's actions during the 'sexiest man contest'). Short cruises on older ships are much cheaper and lend themselves to drink packages (because you are only buying it for 3/4 days). It's a recipe for these kinds of things.

On the other hand, you could sail one of Carnival's newer ships (Mardi Gras, Celebration, Jubilee) that are all 6 to 8 night cruises. We've done Mardi Gras twice and I would go back tomorrow. I also did Oasis of the Seas, and while I didn't enjoy it as much as Mardi Gras, it was infinitely better than Independence of the Seas.

As to drunks on board, DCL is not immune to that either. I've seen some things with people coming out of Mixology... At any rate, I do agree that you do get less of this on lines without drink packages (though, to be fair, Princess has a great drink package and I've never seen terrible behavior there). The two that come to mind are of course DCL, and Virgin Voyages. VV has what they call a "Bar Tab", which I vastly prefer. You don't feel like you need to have 10-15 drinks a day to "get your money's worth".

I've sincerely enjoyed the Princess product. It's been a hot minute since I've cruised them, but I've done moms-only trips. They have the best coffee on the high seas IMO. ;) They also have some cool itineraries, IMO.

I also do have to say that DH and I enjoyed our adults-only Carnival cruise on an older ship. Their Alchemy bar was so much fun & we LOVE Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana. I've never done their upcharge dining, bc I am so happy with MDRs and late dining.
I agree, the Salted Caramel Latte at the International Cafe is amazing...

Celebrity is fantastic. Quality of food and dining is great. They also have a dining experience called “Le Petit Chef” where animation is actually projected onto your plate. It’s a specialty dining option and, truly, an amazing experience.

We have Le Petit Chef booked for our Alaska cruise in August. I have read mixed reviews, so I was glad to hear you liked it.

Last edited:
For us it’s primarily where they sail from. If they had something leaving from NYC, NJ, or MD we would be on it in a heartbeat. It’s inconvenient and really expensive to get our entire family to FL, and I’m frankly a little sick of FL. And I’m not flying to TX. I looked at their European sailings but the ones I’m interested in aren’t on dates that work for our family.

that's it.... as long as enough people are paying, they don't care how outrageous the price is.... and in fact strong sales would indicate the price isn't outrageous enough...

I agree, and in fact would argue most of this discussion has been backwards. For one, we are making assuming the preface is true, they aren't selling out, and when data is shown they are, then its not as fast as they used to. As far as I can see even thats anecdotal, but even if true, there are five ships instead of two, and then the argument is they are only selling out because they put things on sale, but heck, those are sale prices (because some DO sell out) on raised prices.. so really how much savings.. blah blah..

the point is, my guess is whoever (or whatever algorithm) sets prices.. if a ship sells out too fast, thats a sign it was priced too low. so of course they are going to raise prices, slow down the rate of selling out, and then for the bargain hunters, doesn't hurt the perception some things go on sale, it encourages people to fill up the ships.

So I disagree with the premise that the rate of selling out reflect a decrease in popularity (insert favorite personal missing feature here) but rather Disney becoming more refined in their pricing models. Thank you capitalism :)

Because they are outrageously priced.

I'm sailing on the Fantasy in a month and the cost for 2 adults and 3 children is twice the cost of a stay in WDW of the same length, all expenses considered.
And I’ve seen posts that state the opposite - that a DCL cruise was cheaper than WDW. I imagine the factors of cabin level, resort choice, time of year all factor into this. That 5th guest makes finding a cabin harder, too.

And I would say they are outrageously priced for either. Now, if they were paying workers better, maybe I would change my modifying adjective.

We just went on an Eastern Carib. on the Fantasy this summer. It was wonderful - we had a great time. But the price is insane. Now the kids are at an age that we want separate cabins. We need more space and privacy. We are looking at Alaska next and I'm not even considering Disney. We can get 2 mini suites on Princess for the same as squeezing ourselves into one cabin on Disney. And it doesn't feel like a downgrade to us - we really like Princess. It's a no brainer for us.

DCL's Alaska and Europe prices have always been outrageous

And I’ve seen posts that state the opposite - that a DCL cruise was cheaper than WDW. I imagine the factors of cabin level, resort choice, time of year all factor into this. That 5th guest makes finding a cabin harder, too.

And I would say they are outrageously priced for either. Now, if they were paying workers better, maybe I would change my modifying adjective.
With WDW there are many opportunities or things you can do to mitigate total cost:
  1. We recently bought DVC resale contracts which gives us 75% off rack rates for hotels
  2. They often have a 20% off sale on ticket prices for Canadians
  3. WDW still has a lot to offer in low-travel seasons (September, early December, January) and is even further discounted
For a cruise, being a family of 5 forces us into as Deluxe Family stateroom with verandah, or two get two communicating interior staterooms for a bit cheaper, but I don't appreciate feeling trapped in a coffin on vacation, so that's not an option. If you consider the hotel room you have to get when flying in a day early to your cruise, our 6 nights Caribbean cruise is literally twice the cost of what a 6 nights WDW vacation would be at the same time.

We checked for Alaska cruises and found booking Retreat suites on Celebrity or Haven suites on NCL was about the same as booking a verandah stateroom with DCL. Except for the same amount of money, I'd rather cruise on an Edge-class ship than the 25y old Wonder.

We use cc points for our pre cruise hotel stay and most of our cost for flights.

Yes, other cruise lines are cheaper but DCL is what we like most. We have stayed from interior cabins to having 2 connected verandahs, and and never felt like I was staying in a coffin.

We don’t spend much time in our room except to get ready to go out in am and before dinner. Then a little time to unwind with a movie as we fall asleep.

It’s good to find a cruise line that suits you and you can enjoy. There is no right or wrong answer for this.

That is our feeling also.
We tried Celebrity last year, Aqua Class, and the food and service was good but the live entertainment was so dull.

The ship itself was in dire need of some TLC and the artwork around the ship was enough to give a child bad dreams. I was so longing to be back on DCL when the Dream docked next to us in Nassau.
Disembarkation was a CF. The line snaked around in and out of lounges and we waited over an hour to get off the ship. In fairness, DCL has done this too but I can’t say Well other cruise lines do it so much better than DCL.
But yeah, we saved money.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest