Help me plan a chill MK day in July

KatieCharlotte

DIS Veteran
Quick background: My kids could qualify for a DAS for neurological and mental health reasons but don't like the embarrassing (to them) process of getting one unless things get dire. So, we really need a plan without using a DAS and a plan where we get a DAS at some point.

We will be there at RD, and we will be there when the park closes. But, we can't push all day long. We'll have counter service lunch at 11. By 2 p.m., they NEED a break at the hotel for a few hours. We'll stay at the Contemporary or take a Minnie Van.

None of us want to be extreme commandos on this trip. This needs to be a fun day and is NOT a once-in-a-lifetime pack-everything-in day.

One teen can't ride the mountains. So, the plan has to balance out the different types of rides. I want at least one prebooked FP+ to be for something he can ride.

Our must do's:
Entire Group -- Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Jungle Cruise, Treehouse, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Buzz, Dumbo, TTA.
Most of Group -- 7DMT, Splash, BTMRR.

If we have time:
Entire Group -- Tom Sawyer, Country Bears, Speedway, Carrousel, COP, Little Mermaid, HOP, Aladdin
Sorcerers?
Muppets?
Most of Group -- Philharmagic, Pirates

I don't want to stick to a minute-by-minute schedule, just have a general idea which rides to FP, which to RD, and what is realistic on a relaxed schedule with a long midday break.

Quick background: My kids could qualify for a DAS for neurological and mental health reasons but don't like the embarrassing (to them) process of getting one unless things get dire. So, we really need a plan without using a DAS and a plan where we get a DAS at some point.

We will be there at RD, and we will be there when the park closes. But, we can't push all day long. We'll have counter service lunch at 11. By 2 p.m., they NEED a break at the hotel for a few hours. We'll stay at the Contemporary or take a Minnie Van.

None of us want to be extreme commandos on this trip. This needs to be a fun day and is NOT a once-in-a-lifetime pack-everything-in day.

One teen can't ride the mountains. So, the plan has to balance out the different types of rides. I want at least one prebooked FP+ to be for something he can ride.

Our must do's:
Entire Group -- Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Jungle Cruise, Treehouse, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Buzz, Dumbo, TTA.

If we have time:
Entire Group -- Tom Sawyer, Country Bears, Speedway, Carrousel, COP, Little Mermaid, HOP, Aladdin
Sorcerers?
Muppets?

I don't want to stick to a minute-by-minute schedule, just have a general idea which rides to FP, which to RD, and what is realistic on a relaxed schedule with a long midday break.
One thing to consider when planning is that lightning (accompanied by rain or not) is common during summer afternoons, and its sighting will close down outdoor rides for a while. So schedule outdoor rides for before noon as much as possible, to minimize this issue.

Our must do's:

If we have time:
Sorcerers?
Muppets?

I don't want to stick to a minute-by-minute schedule, just have a general idea which rides to FP, which to RD, and what is realistic on a relaxed schedule with a long midday break.[/QUO

I would fast pass 7DMT or get there first thing in the morning. The standby line is very long as the day goes on. Peter Pan is a slow loading ride, so we always fastpass that ride as well. I would also definitely fastpass Tomorrowland Speedway. It may seem like a waste of a fastpass, but the line is very slow, out in the sun, and you breathe awful fumes from the cars. The fastpass makes a huge difference on that ride! We have been able to get same day fastpass for all of the other rides that you mentioned in July. Sometimes, you have to search for one fastpass at a time and just make sure they overlap.

Tom Sawyer Island will shut down if there is rain in the afternoon, so I would go when you return to the park after a break. Just be aware of the islands hours. Have a great trip!

I'm pretty sure that you will have to eliminate a bunch of your 'must do' list. That list is really long and if you want a laid back day in the park you would need to require a lot less. Since you can only get 3 FP+ you need to decide which 3 things are your must do's. If you are able to be the very early rope droppers and be at the front of the pack you could go straight to 7DMT and do stand by. I would then suggest you go straight to PP. Book your FP+ for later in the day and then it will probably have to be the mountains and either Buzz or the HM.

If your kids are ok with standing in lines then you should be able to fit in a bunch of the other things on your list but doing it all would be tough.

Our must do's:

If we have time:
Sorcerers?
Muppets?

I would FP 7DMT, Splash, and Peter Pan. I would start my FP about half an hour after the park opened (start with 7DMT or Peter Pan) and at RD, I would go to BTMRR then head to FantasyLand and hit Winnie the Poo, Small World, and HM plus my first and second FP). Depending on time, fit your lunch in when you are ready and ride your third FP. After you check in for your third FP, check the app to see if you can get a 4th one for that evening for Buzz or Dumbo (I usually do this while in line for my FP).

The treehouse, Jungle cruise, Aladdin, COP, Littler Mermaid, and Country Bears could be done after lunch or back in the evening. Check the app before you head to an area to see how the wait times are to see if they will work for your group. Dumbo is a good one for late evening as it quiets down plus there is a play area to keep the kids occupied till time to ride.

You know this is an easy day, so if you don't get it all done, you are ok with that. We often do these laid back days and have a plan of what we want to do. If we don't get to it, then thats ok. Hope this helps!

Have you gotten a DAS before? We find the process super easy and not so intimidating. The adult explains needs of kids and the kids must get a picture taken at guest services. This is done with a small device, most people around won't notice. As far as getting return times, an adult can get those and the kids don't have to be anywhere around. Upon return to ride kids go first and scan magic band just like everybody else with FPs. The current process is really not intrusive. No paper being carried around. I said all this to highly recommend using the DAS. WDW has developed a great system to help kids with these needs. And you can get your list accomplished. Have a great trip.

I'm pretty sure that you will have to eliminate a bunch of your 'must do' list. That list is really long and if you want a laid back day in the park you would need to require a lot less. Since you can only get 3 FP+ you need to decide which 3 things are your must do's. If you are able to be the very early rope droppers and be at the front of the pack you could go straight to 7DMT and do stand by. I would then suggest you go straight to PP. Book your FP+ for later in the day and then it will probably have to be the mountains and either Buzz or the HM.

If your kids are ok with standing in lines then you should be able to fit in a bunch of the other things on your list but doing it all would be tough.

I appreciate the dose of reality. We've done that many rides before our afternoon break at DL, but with a 7 a.m. opening and things like Winnie the Pooh always being walk-on and grabbing basically instant return FP for Buzz. It's been awhile since we've been to WDW, and the last time it was an 8 a.m. opening with 5/6 crowd levels.

We won't be upset if we don't get to everything.

I would FP 7DMT, Splash, and Peter Pan. I would start my FP about half an hour after the park opened (start with 7DMT or Peter Pan) and at RD, I would go to BTMRR then head to FantasyLand and hit Winnie the Poo, Small World, and HM plus my first and second FP). Depending on time, fit your lunch in when you are ready and ride your third FP. After you check in for your third FP, check the app to see if you can get a 4th one for that evening for Buzz or Dumbo (I usually do this while in line for my FP).

The treehouse, Jungle cruise, Aladdin, COP, Littler Mermaid, and Country Bears could be done after lunch or back in the evening. Check the app before you head to an area to see how the wait times are to see if they will work for your group. Dumbo is a good one for late evening as it quiets down plus there is a play area to keep the kids occupied till time to ride.

You know this is an easy day, so if you don't get it all done, you are ok with that. We often do these laid back days and have a plan of what we want to do. If we don't get to it, then thats ok. Hope this helps!

Thank you. I think BTMRR is a good first choice, because the excited members of our group can walk ahead while we let the non-mountain-riding teen take his time and meet us at Winnie the Pooh. BTMRR also lowest on our mountain priority list (we rode it multiple times recently at DL), so if something goes wrong, it's okay that we don't have a FP+ for it. But we'd all be sad if we didn't ride Peter Pan and we don't want the pressure of a RD dash, so a FP is a good idea. I will try to get a fourth (evening) FP for Buzz. Dumbo isn't really a must do, so we'll just do that if we have time and want to wait inside. I added the TTA because we all weirdly love it and have always walked right on and had a nice peaceful break, but we won't wait in line for it.

I prefer Jungle Cruise and the Treehouse at night. We're not going to try for a fireworks spot in the crush of humanity, so hopefully Adventureland will be bearable then.

Have you gotten a DAS before? We find the process super easy and not so intimidating. The adult explains needs of kids and the kids must get a picture taken at guest services. This is done with a small device, most people around won't notice. As far as getting return times, an adult can get those and the kids don't have to be anywhere around. Upon return to ride kids go first and scan magic band just like everybody else with FPs. The current process is really not intrusive. No paper being carried around. I said all this to highly recommend using the DAS. WDW has developed a great system to help kids with these needs. And you can get your list accomplished. Have a great trip.

We have gotten a DAS at DL, where it's a bit more noticeable when you're using it (especially on rides that don't have FP at DL) and return times are only available at info kiosks. The process of getting it was quick because he was noticeably in distress at that point. It was a lifesaver then, but we didn't use it the next day because we didn't need it. Basically, my kids prefer to feel "like everybody else" unless they CAN'T because of how they're reacting to the crowds. So, we'll see how things go.

I appreciate the dose of reality. We've done that many rides before our afternoon break at DL, but with a 7 a.m. opening and things like Winnie the Pooh always being walk-on and grabbing basically instant return FP for Buzz. It's been awhile since we've been to WDW, and the last time it was an 8 a.m. opening with 5/6 crowd levels.

We won't be upset if we don't get to everything.
July is a very busy time to go...heck, there isn't much of a slow time anymore. A lot of things that used to be a walk on or near walk on are no longer that way due to how FP+ disperses the crowd. I've even seen a 10-15 minute wait for the TTA.

The best plan of action is always to just be casual and get in the rides/attractions that you can. The ones that you miss aren't going any where and will be there the next time. For us, after more than 20 visits we are very happy to just be there and soak in the feeling that WDW gives us.

July is a very busy time to go...heck, there isn't much of a slow time anymore. A lot of things that used to be a walk on or near walk on are no longer that way due to how FP+ disperses the crowd. I've even seen a 10-15 minute wait for the TTA.

The best plan of action is always to just be casual and get in the rides/attractions that you can. The ones that you miss aren't going any where and will be there the next time. For us, after more than 20 visits we are very happy to just be there and soak in the feeling that WDW gives us.

I want to try hard to do that and not let my Type A side take over. We're lucky enough to have plenty of Disney trips over the years, if not as many as some. :)

I am curious about the current impact of FP+ on Small World, which I always considered a walk-on (15 minutes or less), and Jungle Cruise in the evenings.

I asked about your familiarity with the DAS because it has gone through several changes over recent years. I do recommend reading up on the DAS thread here on the boards for WDW, Extremely helpful. Just a lot of stimulation with crowds and heat in July, the DAS can really be your friend and save kids from getting to that meltdown point. Best of luck whatever your decisions.

I want to try hard to do that and not let my Type A side take over. We're lucky enough to have plenty of Disney trips over the years, if not as many as some. :)

I am curious about the current impact of FP+ on Small World, which I always considered a walk-on (15 minutes or less), and Jungle Cruise in the evenings.
Both rides are no longer walk on. While there are certainly times that you will walk on, once you get past mid morning they both will have lines. I've seen Small World with 60+ minute waits many, many times in the last few years. Generally, there are late FP+(booked after your 3 are done) for both but I would never promise anyone that.

Thank you. I think BTMRR is a good first choice, because the excited members of our group can walk ahead while we let the non-mountain-riding teen take his time and meet us at Winnie the Pooh. BTMRR also lowest on our mountain priority list (we rode it multiple times recently at DL), so if something goes wrong, it's okay that we don't have a FP+ for it. But we'd all be sad if we didn't ride Peter Pan and we don't want the pressure of a RD dash, so a FP is a good idea. I will try to get a fourth (evening) FP for Buzz. Dumbo isn't really a must do, so we'll just do that if we have time and want to wait inside. I added the TTA because we all weirdly love it and have always walked right on and had a nice peaceful break, but we won't wait in line for it.

I prefer Jungle Cruise and the Treehouse at night. We're not going to try for a fireworks spot in the crush of humanity, so hopefully Adventureland will be bearable then.

Sounds like a good plan! We have watched the fireworks from over by BOG, and it was awesome. It wasn't crowded, we found a spot to sit (which was amazing after a long day), and it was a great new perspective. We also love the TTA and COP. The first time I brought my kids, they weren't tall enough to ride space mountain. When we got off TTA, they were excited that they "got to ride the other space mountain". I didn't correct them, and now I love that I get that memory when every we ride it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter