• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me pick a hotel!!

Thanks for the very detailed reply! One question though: with the GF being the last stop, is there usually plenty of room still on the monorail or would we potentially be waiting a while?
Depending on the time of day, it may be crowded. Mornings you may not be able to get a seat, but it's literally two minutes to the MK, so you won't stand for long.

I haven't stayed at the GF or the poly since they opened up the walkway, so I'm not sure how long it is.
It's about a 15-20 minute walk to MK from the GF, depending on which building you're in and your walking speed. I averaged about 12 when I stayed there but I power walk and the start of the path is right near Gasparilla's, which was right outside my door in the main building via that back elevator. I would compare it to walking to Hollywood Studios from the BC/YC. One thing it has going for it vs. Contemporary is you're not crossing street traffic, and the path is much more scenic going around the lake. I only took the monorail once when it was raining (Epcot had bus service at the time because I stayed there before the Epcot line reopened after the closures).

love all three of these resorts, so you really can't make a bad choice! so many informative replies already - the only thing I can add is if you're staying in the main building in GF and at the Contemporary - the monorail is accessible without having to walk outside. May not be important at all, but can be nice if it's raining..

Thanks for the very detailed reply! One question though: with the GF being the last stop, is there usually plenty of room still on the monorail or would we potentially be waiting a while?
I have not been to WDW now since Dec 2019 (just prior to Covid), so I cannot speak to how the crowds are these days. Also, I haven't been a rope drop person in many years. However, I did find that the monorail from the GF was often standing room only, especially at busier times. Also, I have read that there are times that you will need to wait a bit longer to get on these days. I wouldn't let it unduly influence my decision to stay at the GF, though, as you can walk or take the boat. Even if you have to stand, it is such a short ride that it really doesn't matter

Thanks all for your detailed replies! After much discussion, we have booked a theme park view at the Grand Floridian, so much thanks for all the advice! We’re super stoked! Now the countdown and subsequent scramble for dining reservations begins :duck:

These three resorts are fabulous! The short answer is, you can't go wrong with any of them! I have stayed in all three, and I am a newbie DVC owner at GF, but I love Poly and CR too! I think if I were forced to rank them, I would rank them this way: GF, CR, Poly.

GF pros: the whole resort is so pretty, and (when the walkway is open) you can walk to MK. Rooms are huge and both pools are really nice. We love the restaurant choices here: Gasperillas, GF Cafe, Citricos, and The Enchanted Rose are all fantastic.

CR pros: hello...monorail running through the main concourse...so DISNEY! We actually like the garden rooms better than rooms in the tower. It's only a 2 minute covered walk to the main concourse and the garden rooms are cheaper and way more quiet. We enjoyed sitting on our patio and watching the electrical water parade float by our room each night. Steakhouse 71 and California Grill are great restaurant choices, and the Contempo Cafe is my most favorite quick service place anywhere on property. Walking to MK is awesome.

Poly: Captain Hook's is a solid quick service option. The pools win in terms of theming and vibe IMO between the three monorail resorts, and the Moana retheme is terrific! Quick walk to TTC gets you on your way to Epcot, which is a bonus!

Have a magical trip OP!

GF all the way! We had a theme park view room there and it was incredible. We could watch the fireworks at night from our balcony. I’ve also stayed at the Poly, but I don’t love the theming and the upper level where the restaurants are feels like a mall to me. I also prefer the restaurants at GF. Even the CS is superb!
Heartily agree in every respect.

GF all the way! Try to request one of the renovated buildings (or book a Resort Studio to guarantee a new room). I stayed in the Resort Studios last July and they are absolutely gorgeous, my new favorite non-suite room at WDW.

I'm a nope on Poly (cash, not DVC or club level) until construction is done. From the monorail, I saw someone's double stroller practically parked against a construction fence. On a room this cost, that's a disgrace.

Our vote would be for Poly. For the following reasons:

1) Second stop on the monorail.
2) Poly seems to be more kid-friendly than GF.
3) We're from the north Georgia mountains. So, anything beach themed is a delightful change for us.

IMO, you can't really go wrong with any of the three. It's just a matter of which theming appeals to you the most.

Of the monorail resorts, I prefer the GF for its "calm" atmosphere. I love the frenetic energy of the parks, but it's nice to have a quiet place to come back to for a break. It's also more likely to be discounted than the Poly (or have better discounts).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter