Help Me Decide-No Excursions for 4nt on Dream?

Cackyschmackers

DIS Veteran
I've been hemming and hawing about planning a port excursion for our 4-nt Bahamian Itinerary on the Dream next year simply bc we've never taken such a short cruise (we've taken three 7 and 8-nts previously, so we're used to the luxury of time on the ships). My thought is to stay on the ship instead of getting off at Nassau, just to make the most of our time. I've been lurking on other threads, trying to get a feel for the 4-nt. Anyone have any opinions or advice for us? Thank you in advance !

We have done a couple of 4-nights. Once we stayed on the ship and once my daughter and I went snorkeling. We enjoy it either way.

We have done a couple of 4-nights. Once we stayed on the ship and once my daughter and I went snorkeling. We enjoy it either way.

Did you do an excursion where you took a ferry ? Wondering how many hours your excursion took. I don't want to feel like we're rushing around. Thank you !

I just wanted to chime in and say I'm in the same boat as you, no pun intended. :) We've taken two, 7-night cruises previously and I'm worried that the 4-night is going to be way too short. We love sea days and with only one, I'm afraid we'll feel rushed. We've gone back and forth several times now on keeping the cruise or changing it to a 7-night again. We are undecided on excursions as well. We'd love to go to Blue Lagoon but I'm afraid I'll be regretting not staying on the ship. Decisions, decisions...

I just wanted to chime in and say I'm in the same boat as you, no pun intended. :) We've taken two, 7-night cruises previously and I'm worried that the 4-night is going to be way too short. We love sea days and with only one, I'm afraid we'll feel rushed. We've gone back and forth several times now on keeping the cruise or changing it to a 7-night again. We are undecided on excursions as well. We'd love to go to Blue Lagoon but I'm afraid I'll be regretting not staying on the ship. Decisions, decisions...

Oh, my gosh , us, too! I automatically was going to book BL, but then I remembered my promise of no rushing around , and I said the same thing about the days at sea being our absolute favorite! We either cannot afford the 7-nts or the dates don't work for us (we can't miss school any more ! ) . I'm so torn!

I enjoy just walking around Nassau... However, the Greycliff Chocolatier was a great excursion. Either way, you'll have fun. We've stayed on several times too and simply enjoyed the quiet of the ship.

I enjoy just walking around Nassau... However, the Greycliff Chocolatier was a great excursion. Either way, you'll have fun. We've stayed on several times too and simply enjoyed the quiet of the ship.

So, you'd say there are worthwhile "excursions " just walking off the ship and not having to plan ahead of time ? P.S. Great minds . .. our profile descriptions almost match !

I've been hemming and hawing about planning a port excursion for our 4-nt Bahamian Itinerary on the Dream next year simply bc we've never taken such a short cruise (we've taken three 7 and 8-nts previously, so we're used to the luxury of time on the ships). My thought is to stay on the ship instead of getting off at Nassau, just to make the most of our time. I've been lurking on other threads, trying to get a feel for the 4-nt. Anyone have any opinions or advice for us? Thank you in advance !
We are doing this itinerary in 12 days (eeeek!!), and have no excursions planned since we want to savor our time on the boat. We plan on walking around Nassau for no more than a 2 hours then heading back on the boat. However, this is both mine and my husband's first cruise so we're really all about time on the Dream.

We (myself, DH, DDs 12 and 15, DS 8 and my Mom) sailed on the Dream for 4 nights last March. It was our first cruise and we decided against any excursions so we could really enjoy our time on the ship. We (my husband and I) had been to Nassau before, so we knew we weren't really missing anything IMHO. And we all had a great time on the ship on Nassau day. However, my mom had never been to Nassau and the next day she said to me "I wanted to walk around the port and see a little of Nassau, but I didn't want to bother you . . . " If I had realized, I would have taken her off the ship for a walk. We did get off the ship and enjoy CC. We are going on the Western Caribbean Aug 2017, and I'm going to make sure that we do some excursions and at least get off the ship for a little walk if we don't have excursions planned. I want to make sure that Mom gets to see what there is to see in each place.

We are doing this itinerary in January as well. We have been to Nassau several times and we will probably stay on the ship. But, when it gets down to it, I may get off and go to the rum cake store if nothing else. We do not have any excursions planned, although I have considered the chocolate one.

My thinking is that the water may be too cool to swim at Castaway Cay, so we will only shop and eat there and then get back on the ship, so we will really have most of our time on the ship, taking it easy.

We have done a number of 4 and 5 night itineraries that stop in Nassau, and haven't gotten off the ship since the first one.
We have a better time enjoying the less-crowded ship and taking advantage of port day spa specials!
No matter what you do, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Just relax & enjoy!

We did the 4 night dream last November. It was our first time to Nassau and we did the blue lagoon dolphin excursion. We booked the earliest time slot they had, took the ferry there, interacted with the dolphins, played on the beach for a short time then took an early ferry back to the ship. We were back on time to have lunch at Cabanas so still had several hours to enjoy the ship. We rode the aqua duck several times, did a couple rounds of midship detective and just relaxed.
The day did not feel rushed to us at all and we really enjoyed both the excursion and a less crowded ship.

We did the 4 night dream last November. It was our first time to Nassau and we did the blue lagoon dolphin excursion. We booked the earliest time slot they had, took the ferry there, interacted with the dolphins, played on the beach for a short time then took an early ferry back to the ship. We were back on time to have lunch at Cabanas so still had several hours to enjoy the ship. We rode the aqua duck several times, did a couple rounds of midship detective and just relaxed.
The day did not feel rushed to us at all and we really enjoyed both the excursion and a less crowded ship.

Wow, really? Do you recall any vague timeline of your day? I didn't know they left that early. Wondering if that is something to consider. Thank you!

Now you have me questioning my decision to stay on the ship on the Nassay day! lol
let's see...blue lagoon dolphin excursion... ;):surfweb:

Wow, really? Do you recall any vague timeline of your day? I didn't know they left that early. Wondering if that is something to consider. Thank you!

I only remember a very very vague timeline...Im pretty sure our time slot was 9:30. We met in the movie theatre for the excursion before 9 and were off the ship not long after it was cleared for passengers to disembark. We walked to the ferry and the ride over was maybe 20-30 mins. There was an information talk on dolphins then we went to the floating areas in the water for the encounter. Once you interacted with the dolphin, you got out of the water and were free to use the nearby private beach. I'm not sure how long the actual encounter took. Those who did their interactions first had more time at the beach, they let maybe 8-10 people in the water at a time. If you're in the last group to get in the water, you have less time at the beach if you're planning to leave early.
When we finished, I went buy photos in the gift shop (which was the only chaotic part of the day. That process was a disaster) while my kids and DH swam for maybe half an hour to an hour. We did eat some dry snacks we had packed right after the excursion. They have lunch for sale on the island, but nothing that sounded appealing to us and we wanted time on the ship. So we took the first ferry back. I believe it was at 1:00. The ride back seemed faster than the ride there. We had to walk through the straw market to get back on the ship, but didn't stop at any of the booths. We went through security, were back on the ship and went straight upstairs to cabanas to eat lunch. They stop serving at 2:00 I believe if that gives you an idea of the time.

Did you do an excursion where you took a ferry ? Wondering how many hours your excursion took. I don't want to feel like we're rushing around. Thank you !
We did a catamaran snorkeling excursion that left from the dock right outside the pier. You take a catamaran out past atlantis, snorkel, and then return. It takes a few hours, for sure. Maybe 3?

I have done several 3 and 4 day cruises and after getting off in Nassau twice (I think) to go to Blue Lagoon for the sea lion interaction (both times, btw, it was totally rushed getting back to the ship-I guess due to the timing of the excursion?); I see no need to ever set foot there again. That said, I've lived in the Caribbean in a previous life and it's not my favorite (by far) port in the islands. I do feel it's nicer to stay on the ship on port days on the shorter cruises to get a little more "ahhhh" time :)

We are doing the 4 night Dream in Jan and while it's cruise #21 for me, it will be the shortest cruise I've done! We are getting off in Nassau to do the chocolate tour. I've read great reviews and I know my kids will enjoy it. I'm going in to this cruise knowing it will feel way too short and we won't get everything done. That's what placeholders are booked for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter