Help me decide- 1 Bedroom Villa at Bay Lake Tower or Kidani Village

I assumed OP was comparing confirmed reservations, given how impossible BLT standard views are to get šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø & there seem to be an increasing number of DVC confirmed reservation rentals on the market these days v. the traditional point rental method.

Iā€™ve stayed at both and really like the 1BR set up in both resorts. The 2 baths in each one helps a lot. The living area in both is also larger than Boardwalk and Beach Club. But for a short trip, I would pick BLT due to the proximity to most parks and better transportation options. If you are trying to squeeze 4 parks in 3 days you wonā€™t have time to enjoy the view of the animals and the little time you do spend in the room, the animals may not be within viewing distance. They tend to start at one end of the resort and graze their way around to the other. There are plenty of food options between Contemporary, Poly, and Grand Floridian.

While I love AKL, I think BLT makes more sense for this trip from what you have described. I have not stayed in a standard view at BLT, so can not comment on that. Have you priced out the lake view?
It comes out to like almost $1000 CAD more for the three nights...doesn't seem overly worth it when we imagine that's a couple plane tickets or a lot of dining money! Especially given we won't be in the room a crazy amount!

We always go for 10+ days & my go to resorts are AKV & VGF, Iā€™d never stay at BLT because we like a slower paced vacation & to stay in a resort w/ spacious/interesting grounds. But for a short, park commando type visit BLT works better if the park youā€™ll focus on the most is MK which you can walk to w/ Epcot as your second most visited park via monorail. If, instead, youā€™ll be spending more time at DHS w/ Epcot second Iā€™d look at BWV w/ their reasonable point charts & walkability to DHS & Epcot.
AKL doesnā€™t have multiple bus stops to everywhere, btw. The park buses pick up/drop off at Kidani first then stop by Jambo & the next stop is the park theyā€™re going to. I think BLT/contemporary sometimes shares w/ WL.
This is good to know! I was under the impression that there's multiple stops for Kidani and Jambo each and they all share buses, but if just one each that's definitely better!
BLT with Wilderness wouldn't overly bug me as we'd have other transportation options for two other parks. It sounds like BLT is the choice based on the transportation things and that AKL is better enjoyed over a longer stay!

Agree that for your trip BLT makes more sense. Without knowing your timeframe, however, availability on a 1 bed standard may be an issue. You may need to budget Lake view since lower point rooms tend to book first. Something to keep in mind.
This is a good point! It's showing as available, but worst case we'll have to decide if the Lake view cost is something we can stomach, I suspect it might be for all the conveniences of BLT, or else we go back to our Kidani plan :)

Thanks for all the insights everyone! It sounds like trying to nail down the standard room at BLT is the way to go, with returning to Kidani as a good back up if we encounter availability issues! BLT is showing as available so fingers crossed- if they offer us Lake View we'll certainly consider that as well :)

Hello!

My group of 4 adults is planning a short (4 park day, 3 night) stay at one of these two resorts by renting DVC points. I've never stayed at either resort. It'll be a whirlwind trip with late nights in the parks, and I've adored staying on the monorail loop before, but we much prefer the theming and food options at AKL. For cost, Bay Lake Tower would just be a standard view, so I'm curious if anyone can weigh in on how much that would take away from the experience. At AKL we'd probably spring for Savannah view, which comes in at like $100 more than Bay Lake Tower standard view, but really the costs are almost identical. So I'm stuck...please weigh in and help me decide!

Basically here's the pro con list:

Kidani Village:
PROS
- Animal Theme! (We are huge animal lovers)
- Beautiful resort theming in general- definitely more my style
- Animals outside the window and a guaranteed good view
- Excellent dining for adults
- Nice looking pool (not super important since the trip is in January)
- Close to AK, which is quite possibly my favourite park

CONS
- Technically (barely) the more expensive option if we spring for Savannah view
- Far from everything except AK (significant given the short nature of our trip)
- Multiple bus stops on the way to everywhere
- We may not spend a ton of time back at the room so perhaps no point to Savannah view?

Bay Lake Tower
PROS
- Incredible location, walkway to MK
- Monorail access to EPCOT and MK
- Transportation in general....the location just makes so much more sense for a short trip
- Technically (shockingly) cheaper?
- The one bedroom villa rooms do look quite lovely? Even if not my typical style?
- Would allow me to complete the satisfying trifecta of having stayed at all 3 of the monorail resorts (I LOVE the Poly and GF, but the former has no one bedroom villas and the latter is cost prohibitive this time around and close to the Poly DVC construction)

CONS
- I'm really struggling with the theme. It reminds me of non-Disney hotels too much- unless anyone can assure me it still feels really Disney immersive?? (Contemporary was not a resort I thought I'd ever stay at because for the price I'd just rather be at the Poly or GF....never imagined booking it over those two)
- Is it worth the cost for only a standard view? While some rooms look like a pleasant surprise on Touring Plans, a lot of the standard views are pretty unfortunate, esp. compared to a Savannah view room...
- Basically no food options in Bay Lake Tower, seems there are several at Contemporary but they don't seem as appealing as the Kidani/AKL ones?
- Pool seems inferior to the Kidani one based on pictures? In size and theming? I could be wrong, please correct me if so :p

Would love some insight, especially if anyone has stayed at both resorts!

we own at BLT, so perhaps i'm not the most objective, but for me BLT will win every time simply based on location.
Walking to and from MK can't be beat as far as i'm concerned.
however, i also like BLT, which is odd since i've never been a fan of the contemporary.
But i really enjoy staying at BLT. Also, i find the bridge to the stores and food at CR very convenient.

Kidani is nice, but all other things being equal, i'll pick BLT every time

AK is one of my least favorite resorts for going to the parks, only buses, its huge, rideshare is pricey there due to lots of distance....

BLT is for the parks in so many ways and you can walk over to the bus station there for direct access to other parks if not on the monorail. Only other park heavy resort I would suggest is something on Boardwalk of course. AK may only beat OKW in my mind but I say all of this as a person that does not rent a car when in Orlando.

Another vote for BLT. The walk to the Contempo for quick service is fairly short. If you are at Kidani, you have to go over to Jambo for the quick service at Mara. I also love having quick access to the Poly and GF for quick service options.

Another Pro for BLT: the hallways at BLT are not nearly as long as those at Kidani (especially if you get a room at the far end of the building).

Sounds like a great trip in the works!!! :)

For cost, Bay Lake Tower would just be a standard view, so I'm curious if anyone can weigh in on how much that would take away from the experience.

Just so you know, the Standard View rooms at BLT can be quite a bargain. The TP view rooms are not the only rooms that face MK, many SV and LV rooms do also. Ask for a SV room facing the MK, and you can have Cinderella's castle for a night light.

I've stayed at both, and while I like the theming at AK, I prefer being on the monorail.

Just so you know, the Standard View rooms at BLT can be quite a bargain. The TP view rooms are not the only rooms that face MK, many SV and LV rooms do also. Ask for a SV room facing the MK, and you can have Cinderella's castle for a night light.

I've stayed at both, and while I like the theming at AK, I prefer being on the monorail.
Are the sv rooms facing MK the first 3 floors only? I seemed to think they were pretty hard to see the park from them but I must have not known something...

What did you end up booking? You may already know this, you can't go by the availability calendars you see on the various rental sites, they are not in real time. David's will show everything so you can get an idea of the cost, but that does not mean it's available to book/rent. Confirmed reservations are a different story. Best of luck!

Are the sv rooms facing MK the first 3 floors only? I seemed to think they were pretty hard to see the park from them but I must have not known something...
First five I believe. We were on the 4th last time I had a SV room. Enough to see above the monorail.

Curious if you booked yet. If you are only there for a short period of time, and you like having something more "themed" than BLT, have you considered Boardwalk? You have easy access to two parks that way, plus boats, skyliner and walking as an option. Lots of options for food too, and its a fun environment. And the cost, I imagine for a one bedroom would be pretty close to what you were already looking at paying.

Late answer but I personally wouldn't choose either.

AKV - wouldn't stay there without a car especially on a short stay where you want to go to all the parks
BLT - wouldn't stay there because I don't care for the room styling and getting to Epcot is a Monorail to TTC then Monorail to Epcot making it a pain (but we also go back to the room every day mid-day)

Short stay I would go with BWV or BCV or RIV because you get two parks with easy access.

If you want to stay near MK? CCV/BRV for the 1BR option you are trying to get. If you wanted a studio add POLY to the list.

We love both, and generally would say AKL Savannah view, but.....while we LOVE the rooms, extra bathroom, animals, etc, bus transportation this last trip wasn't the best. Do-able, but slower than on previous stays. We've loved the location on BLT-walking to MK is great, and monorail to Epcot from the TTC would be great. We also love the extra bathroom at BLT. I like the theming there, sleek, etc, yeah, it's plain, not a lot of Disney in the room/resort, but just hop over to Contemporary for that nostalgic Disney feel, or walk out on the connecting bridge and look at the MK.
We dont' go to MK as much as we used to, but with the addition of Tron, we might go more often
Pool is better themed at AKL
If not really planning in room/resort time too much, BLT would be my choice.
Happy planning!!!

Last edited:
We rarely stay put where we are at. Kidani is nice, but you can't walk anywhere except Jambo, and you can't go anywhere else without a bus. We like being able to walk to the Poly, GF, MK, CR. Boat to WL and FW. Ride the monorail. The lack of theming always gets talked about, but to us it's like staying at Tomorrowland. Go up to the top at night, it's beautiful to look out at everything. BLT for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter