Helene Aftermath…Are You Ok?

The National Guard dropped over 100,000 pounds of supplies outside of Asheville yesterday. I believe more is arriving today.

But what these people in the area need are more search and rescue folks. Yes. There are some there right now. But they need THOUSANDS of troops in there right now.

My mind is on Kimberly Ashby right now. She was in one of the homes that was swept away. Her husband was found (ALIVE!) 2 miles away. She has not been found yet. I pray there are recovery teams by the thousands searching for her and everyone else that is missing.
Let’s hope they get the help they need financially weeks and months from now.

"Missing People in East TN & Western NC due to flooding" is a Facebook page that will show you the magnitude of how devastating this storm aftermath is.

You really can't believe this is happening as you read the stories.

Here is a spreadsheet of some of the missing and their story:

I tried scrolling through it for a bit, but it's just gut wrenching after a short time. While entirely different circumstances, it reminds me of people posting after 9/11 who were searching for missing loved ones in Manhattan. We can only hope that these people are safe and just without phone service/road access.

--->
I live about 30 miles northwest of Atlanta. Just a lot of rain and moderate winds. Ended up with a inch of so of water in basement. Its an unfinished basement thank goodness so just had some wet boxes and concrete got a bath. I was talking to one of the distributors I deal with in Johnson City Tn and here is what he said

The area about 15-20 mins from us was hit hard. Homes under water. Bridges and roads completely gone.
My in-laws live just on the other side of the Nolichuckey River (which connects with the French Broad River), and they previously had 7 bridges to connect them to this side. 5 of those bridges are gone and only one of the remaining 2 is usable currently. They still have no power and no water.
I’d imagine it’ll take decades to repair all the damages. It’s a mess, but people are being resilient, and the surrounding communities have been coming together to help. It’s like nothing I’ve ever seen in my 40 years here, it’s bad. The news keeps talking about Asheville, NC… but there are a LOT of smaller towns and unincorporated areas like Erwin, Greeneville, Newport in Tennessee that have areas that are just decimated. My in-laws live in a community called Chuckey, TN which is located between Erwin and Greeneville, and like I said – they’ve been hit hard.

Different buckets - both can be done. This isn't an either/or. If you want to get political, go to the correct board for that and don't try and highjack a thread.
Good grief. Chill out. I don't go to the "other board" that was a pretty basic observation. We are only like trillions in debt. No they can't both be done.

If were going to default on our debt. I'd like to see Americans get taken care of first. If that makes me a bad person so be it.

Good grief. Chill out. I don't go to the "other board" that was a pretty basic observation. We are only like trillions in debt. No they can't both be done.

If were going to default on our debt. I'd like to see Americans get taken care of first. If that makes me a bad person so be it.
And still no answer to my question. Duly noted.

And still no answer to my question. Duly noted.

I think you know my answer. Hopefully the people in the path of of hurricane Helene don't get short changed. Rescue efforts are one thing, but it's the long haul I'm worried about.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest