Have you found that Facebook has gone to pot?

Neapolitan Ice Cream

DIS Veteran
Of late it all seems to be made up of "vote for the best pic" and - more worryingly - videos of small animals getting killed. Oh, and celebrities like Emma Watson deep faked on to, um, "randy" bodies. There's virtually no relevant content on it now. And whenever I block a rogue poster from my feed, they just pop back up under a different name. Really, I only use it for the Messenger now.

Of late it all seems to be made up of "vote for the best pic" and - more worryingly - videos of small animals getting killed. Oh, and celebrities like Emma Watson deep faked on to, um, "randy" bodies. There's virtually no relevant content on it now. And whenever I block a rogue poster from my feed, they just pop back up under a different name. Really, I only use it for the Messenger now.
Wow, I don't have any of that on my Facebook feed.
My wife hates Facebook. She was only on it a few days more than a dozen years ago. Her frustration now is how many businesses like restaurants have abandoned their websites in favor of Facebook pages. If you don't have Facebook, you can't see their pages.

I never get anything like that… do you share a computer or device? It feeds you stuff it thinks you will be interested in. I get lots of Disney content (and Disney shopping)

I mostly use it for cruise groups for my sailings

You must be clicking on dead animals and celebrities. It gives you more of what you click on. Click on Disney stuff and that's what you'll get more of next

The algorithm recognizes when you interact with or even pause longer on different posts and bases your feed on that, among other things. I have mine pretty much trained to show me cute cats, humor groups, and Miatas (thinking of building an autocross car) 😁

Wow, I don't have any of that on my Facebook feed.
My wife hates Facebook. She was only on it a few days more than a dozen years ago. Her frustration now is how many businesses like restaurants have abandoned their websites in favor of Facebook pages. If you don't have Facebook, you can't see their pages.
Most businesses have their pages set so the general public can view them on Facebook. I have never joined Facebook, but I’ve been able to view many business pages, especially restaurants.

Most businesses have their pages set so the general public can view them on Facebook. I have never joined Facebook, but I’ve been able to view many business pages, especially restaurants.
That is what I assumed, but on many FB pages she can't access and it wants her to sign up for Facebook.

Her frustration now is how many businesses like restaurants have abandoned their websites in favor of Facebook pages. If you don't have Facebook, you can't see their pages.
I also hate this. Part of my job has been in finding and sharing resources for people experiencing homelessness (for a gov't agency). Because it was a gov't agency, I couldn't access Facebook on my work computer; at the same time, many local resources have turned to only using FB pages (vs an actual website). So very frustrating!

That is what I assumed, but on many FB pages she can't access and it wants her to sign up for Facebook.
I usually get in by Googling the business, and the Facebook listing comes up in the Google search results. I do not try to search directly in Facebook.

It’s got to be tied to algorithms based on your likes and search history. Mine is primarily friends, groups I follow and frequent, and random stuff that ties to some of my interests.

Back in the beginning I used to like to see what people I knew were up to then it all morphed and stopped showing me people I cared about and tried to redirect interest so honestly walking away wasn't a struggle, it stopped doing the stuff that made me show up.

Come to think about it, my streaming services also seem bound and determined to keep me away from the things I last watched and shove me onto other things as well so it is getting easier and easier to say no to as well, irksome.

I also hate this. Part of my job has been in finding and sharing resources for people experiencing homelessness (for a gov't agency). Because it was a gov't agency, I couldn't access Facebook on my work computer; at the same time, many local resources have turned to only using FB pages (vs an actual website). So very frustrating!
Yes, that was my experience before I retired 3 years ago from TV News. Government agencies, police, fire departments put everything on Facebook first, and their websites later when they get around to it. I had to be logged into Facebook my entire work shift.

I only use FB to interact with family and to post in a private group I am in. I rarely post on my wall or look at other people's feeds.

You must be clicking on dead animals and celebrities. It gives you more of what you click on. Click on Disney stuff and that's what you'll get more of next
Trust me, I'm not responding to watching bunnies getting killed by snakes. The worst was when I came across a horrific video and the browse hung, leaving me unable to scroll past. I hope never to see that again!

I think you mentioned these odd and horrific videos/adsbefore. I get a lot of Food videos and things about Country music & beer.

I’m a FB lurker.
I get notifications of birthdays and such, updates on groups I’m a member of and that’s about it. My friends and acquaintances know they’ll have better luck calling or texting me since I’m pretty inactive on my FB acct.
The last time I posted on FB was about new camping gear which would make it at least seven years ago.
I’ve privacy concerns thus making me very circumspect on social media.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter