Has the DIS UNPLUGGED podcast gone sour?

Both positive and negative thoughts on the show are welcome here. Folks, if someone does not agree with you, it doesn’t make them a troll, bot, or evil person. Criticism of the show has always been permitted on this board and will continue to be so.

They were pretty far along with their plans to build Disney's America in Manassas, Virginia in the early 1990s. They had 3,000 acres of land but ultimately abandoned the planned park due to local opposition. I think of it every time we drive past the Manassas exit on 95 on our way to or from Disney World.

What happened to the land? Does Disney still own it?

What happened to Happy Teresa, always optimistic Kathy and Disney obsessed JLK? I’ve been listening since the beginning and am now starting to lose interest in the sour-puss new additions to the show.

I still love to hear Pete rant about bad coffee and dirty bathrooms, John’s wit, Kevin’s passion for nastalgia and his complete disinterest in Star Wars is hilarious.

I don’t think I need to mention the names of who spend a lot of whining about their expectations not being fulfilled and judging announced projects with disdain before even seeing them. It’s getting tough to take.

I listen to the DIS because it used to offer a glimpse into the Magic while I’m a thousand miles away looking forward to my next trip. The complaints about the company, the movies that you didn’t like, the looming strike and the bad food at this place or that place are not the podcast that I’ve enjoyed so much for many years.

Fair reviews and filthy bathroom rants are one thing but some of it is just whining. Good for Julie for calling out Craig and Ryno for being downers. She was right. Remember the Magic!

Sorry, not sorry.

I get what you’re saying. Personally, I do like the honesty, that way I know that when they like something - they really like it. I also happen to agree with them about a lot of the negatives, including being nervous about TSL and wondering if Disney has gone cheap with it. I also do like hearing about their experiences as CMs, even though those stories might upset me. However, at the same time, I agree that JL and Oliver brought a lightness and cheerfulness to the table that’s missing right now, IMHO. I still wait to watch the show every week and love all of the content, I just think there’s an ingredient missing ever since Oliver left.

If you want positivity watch live and come on chat, as the sunny @WebmasterJackie is always on spreading joy- love her, as she is so full of Disney Magic.

But I like the rough with the smooth Disney is my favorite place, but nothing is 100% great 100% of the time.

I like that I get a range of opinions; and even though their business is tied up with Disney they are not afraid to call them out which I think show integrity.

If you want positivity watch live and come on chat, as the sunny @WebmasterJackie is always on spreading joy- love her, as she is so full of Disney Magic.

But I like the rough with the smooth Disney is my favorite place, but nothing is 100% great 100% of the time.

I like that I get a range of opinions; and even though their business is tied up with Disney they are not afraid to call them out which I think show integrity.

Newbie here, but where can you watch the podcast live? I would also be interested in joining chat... is that here on the boards? Let me know!

You can watch it on YouTube as it's being recorded. There is a chat feature if you sign in. Be aware that Chat often turns into a "show within a show", which can be a good thing(when people chime in with funny or insightful takes), or a bad thing(when people start spamming the chat or continuously ask where previous show members are, etc.)

Plus, the Chat gets so busy and moves so quickly that if you pay TOO much attention to it, you can actually lose track of what's being said on the actual show. I know I've had to go back and listen to the show because I got so distracted by Chat.

They were pretty far along with their plans to build Disney's America in Manassas, Virginia in the early 1990s. They had 3,000 acres of land but ultimately abandoned the planned park due to local opposition. I think of it every time we drive past the Manassas exit on 95 on our way to or from Disney World.

at one point they were pretty seriously looking at doing something indoor in/near St. Louis - though apparently in one meeting the head of Busch said "anyone who would build something like this and not serve beer and liquor needs to have his head examined!" ... after which Walt responded with "well, St. Louis is out"

You can watch it on YouTube as it's being recorded. There is a chat feature if you sign in. Be aware that Chat often turns into a "show within a show", which can be a good thing(when people chime in with funny or insightful takes), or a bad thing(when people start spamming the chat or continuously ask where previous show members are, etc.)

Plus, the Chat gets so busy and moves so quickly that if you pay TOO much attention to it, you can actually lose track of what's being said on the actual show. I know I've had to go back and listen to the show because I got so distracted by Chat.

That is true, chat does sometimes distract you from the main show, although I find it just means I can watch the show again as sometimes it's like watching a brand new show lol..

It is good fun though, as 99.9% of the chat crowd are really lovely and the other 0.01% are normally taken care of by the webmasters and their Wrenches (aka Spanners).

Which is really ironic since the OP is blasting members of the podcast for their opinion.

Anyone who puts themselves out there for the public to listen should be willing and able to accept positive and negative reviews of what they do. I am an avid Disney fan, a supporter of the Disboards and the podcast. I’ve listened for years and there have been things that I love and things I haven’t. It’s not reasonable to expect everyone to love everything about it - it’s not perfect.

To the OP - In my opinion some personalities just don’t translate well on air. Someone who is cynical and sarcastic might be a riot in person, but that kind of dry humor doesn’t always come across. There are a lot of people on the show that I like, some not so much...but at this moment it’s not enough to make me stop listening. It seems to me that there is a core group and then several others who come and go. The team changes, so if it’s not enough to make you stop listening, just be patient - you might like the next additions better.

That is true, chat does sometimes distract you from the main show, although I find it just means I can watch the show again as sometimes it's like watching a brand new show lol..

It is good fun though, as 99.9% of the chat crowd are really lovely and the other 0.01% are normally taken care of by the webmasters and their Wrenches (aka Spanners).

Thank you both!

Anyone who puts themselves out there for the public to listen should be willing and able to accept positive and negative reviews of what they do. I am an avid Disney fan, a supporter of the Disboards and the podcast. I’ve listened for years and there have been things that I love and things I haven’t. It’s not reasonable to expect everyone to love everything about it - it’s not perfect.

To the OP - In my opinion some personalities just don’t translate well on air. Someone who is cynical and sarcastic might be a riot in person, but that kind of dry humor doesn’t always come across. There are a lot of people on the show that I like, some not so much...but at this moment it’s not enough to make me stop listening. It seems to me that there is a core group and then several others who come and go. The team changes, so if it’s not enough to make you stop listening, just be patient - you might like the next additions better.

Absolutely. And I would say the same goes for anyone posting on a public message forum. I never suggested the OP was wrong to voice their opinion.

Same. I don't necessarily agree with the original poster, but I'm not saying they're misguided or wrong.

"Ear of the beholder", etc.

What happened to the land? Does Disney still own it?

The irony is that the Disney project was opposed by the locals who didn't want "big businesses/corporate takeover/built up infrastructure" of that area.

Right now, the plot of land houses a huge shopping center anchored by a Wal Mart. There is also a new hospital there, all surrounded by new home subdivisions and a country club. I used to live like 15 min away.

The irony is that the Disney project was opposed by the locals who didn't want "big businesses/corporate takeover/built up infrastructure" of that area.

Right now, the plot of land houses a huge shopping center anchored by a Wal Mart. There is also a new hospital there, all surrounded by new home subdivisions and a country club. I used to live like 15 min away.
I wonder how many of the folks who opposed it wish they hadn't. Too late now.

Yes, and I was TOTALLY excited for this, and DEFINITELY planned to visit! :(

Me too, I thought Disney would have done a fantastic job on an Americas park. There was talk a while ago of asking them to come into Valley Forge park too. That's near my house, I would have loved it too in all of it's "fakery" lol.

Have been watching pretty regularly for about two years and find that different hosts produce different team interactions and overall show vibes. For example, I tend to prefer the shows hosted by John or Craig, which have a more relaxed tone than when Pete is at the head of the table. Not a criticism of Pete. It's just a common workplace dynamic that people are often more at ease when not performing in front of the boss.

Absolutely. And I would say the same goes for anyone posting on a public message forum. I never suggested the OP was wrong to voice their opinion.

Yes and no. Message boards like this one are governed by a set of rules. If those posting guidelines are not followed, infractions occur. So, if someone puts himself out there, responses back must be appropriate.

When I listened, I found that the humor in the podcast was "grumpy old man" in tone. It turned me off after awhile when it felt more like complaining rather than jokes, so I stopped listening. I was in the minority in my opinion at the time.

Everybody's got a different taste.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter