Has the DIS UNPLUGGED podcast gone sour?

darthmickeystl

Earning My Ears
What happened to Happy Teresa, always optimistic Kathy and Disney obsessed JLK? I’ve been listening since the beginning and am now starting to lose interest in the sour-puss new additions to the show.

I still love to hear Pete rant about bad coffee and dirty bathrooms, John’s wit, Kevin’s passion for nastalgia and his complete disinterest in Star Wars is hilarious.

I don’t think I need to mention the names of who spend a lot of whining about their expectations not being fulfilled and judging announced projects with disdain before even seeing them. It’s getting tough to take.

I listen to the DIS because it used to offer a glimpse into the Magic while I’m a thousand miles away looking forward to my next trip. The complaints about the company, the movies that you didn’t like, the looming strike and the bad food at this place or that place are not the podcast that I’ve enjoyed so much for many years.

Fair reviews and filthy bathroom rants are one thing but some of it is just whining. Good for Julie for calling out Craig and Ryno for being downers. She was right. Remember the Magic!

Sorry, not sorry.

Ha. I remember when I started on the boards 3-4 years ago, and one of the very first threads I saw was something like "Why has the show gone so negative?".

It's cyclical.

But specifically to your examples....I think the apprehension about TSL stems from two things: 1)The speed with which it went up(which suggests that it's not as thorough an expansion as other recent expansions, such as Pandora and New Fantasyland), and 2)The fact that it's scaled back from the original descriptions and drawings. So I don't see Porter's feelings as much like negativity as I do wistfulness over what might have been.

Plus, the early shots from that Slinky Dog coaster are....well....less than enthralling. Still, I'm sure the whole thing will be fine.

I think it's also in the ear of the listener. I actually feel like the dining reviews have trended more positively lately than they did when I first started listening. Same for the movies. And same for a few other "recent" news items....the late night MK hours, the new projection/fireworks show, some recent hotel stays, etc. I'm not saying you're wrong, I could certainly see how what they ARE negative about could overshadow what they AREN'T negative about. I'm just saying that it doesn't strike me as any more negative than it has been overall in the past.

There's probably also a personality issue at play here. You're right....Tess and Kathy(and others) do tend to see the brighter side of things. And(ALERT: I'M GOING TO BRIEFLY MENTION FORMER SHOW MEMBERS) while I don't think JL, Oliver, Dustin, etc. were necessarily more *positive* about things than the newer folks, the newer folks(speaking specifically of Tyler, Charles, and Sean) have a more direct, matter-of-fact style of expressing themselves....which I think strikes some people as more negative than other styles.

Man, I didn't mean to type so much. Sorry for the length.

The complaining about the show recently has gotten so obnoxious, I'm convinced some of these posts are just trolling (I don't know if this one is, specifically). It's a Disney World podcast... if it's causing you this much agida, just stop listening.

This point is really interesting. At the Dis 20th many fans where able to meet up with these guys and discuss their thoughts face to face. Kevin and John where both very positive and uplifting even regarding the negative aspects of WDW. Ryno was funny as ever and described his change of heart since working in the parks so often. Its easy to see beyond the Disney glitter and glamour when your in the parks weekly. With that being said Disney World used to blow our minds with new attractions yet as of late there are few that really live up to the hype. Avatar world is a great example. Its beautiful, great dinning and Flight of Passage is a game changed but the river attraction was a joke. Another example was the Frozen ride in Epcot. It didn't live up to the over the top hype.

I honestly think Disney World has changed drastically over the last 15 years. Customer serves is the most obvious but there are other real issues, park cleanliness, food quality, cost of and vacation. Remember when one park a week would stay open until 3:00 AM? No longer.

I suspect that they quality of vacation they all have now experienced at Disneyland has made them resent WDW that much more. WDW has become its own worse enemy. They have done such a great job pulling in customers that now they are over ran and the infrastructure cant support this level of service. If you don't believe me take a ride on the monorail and breath in the quaint smell of failure. Make sure you hold on tight you never know when a door might pop open.

The complaining about the show recently has gotten so obnoxious, I'm convinced some of these posts are just trolling (I don't know if this one is, specifically). It's a Disney World podcast... if it's causing you this much agida, just stop listening.
Agree. Beyond tired of the repetitive cycles of negative posters who crop up again and and again and again (and almost always in clumps, not singly) who do nothing but complain about how negative the show and podcasters are, and apparently don't want honest opinions (and forget trying to explain for the umpteenth time that posters are entitled to THEIR opinions, just like all Team members are entitled to THEIRS).. Ummm....something about the pot calling the kettle black here comes to my mind.

Would I be a total heretic to even suggest that maybe "the Disney experience" has gotten more and more negative over the years - with increased prices and crowds, and increasing pressure on "increasing the bottom line" for YEARS - so much so that I've been lamenting about it (mostly to deaf ears, so I stooped trying) for YEARS that anybody on the Team noticing these things and talking about them is being HONEST - just saying "Hey - the Emperor's NEKKID"?" when he in fact he IS, or at least missing some important articles of clothing?

Not saying it's totally a negative place either, or I don't want to get back. I haven't been in 5 years, when I used to go just about every year, and I still want to go back someday. And yes - you can have a great vacation, great meals, great CM interactions, etc. But it's also not the Land of Drink the Kool Aid, as far as I'm concerned. If things are NOT all good, I want to hear about them. All sunshine and light are for other podcasts. If that's what you want, watch them. Have fun.

I will not even go into MY always noticing that those who appear in these negative clumps almost always have VERY LOW (if not SINGLE, as in this case) post counts, because that issue has been debated here ad nauseum as well, and yet I KEEP noticing the SAME fact. Maybe it's just me?

And I get tired of hearing the negativity of complaining about the perceived negativity of the show, and SO tired of explaining/defending. Again and again and AGAIN. So I'm not going to this time (sorry if anybody expected that from me). I will exercise my freedom to choose - to CONTINUE watching - just like anybody who is disenchanted with how they view the show to "have turned so sour" can CHOOSE to NOT WATCH ANYMORE. Just like I've always done with other podcasts I no longer care for, for whatever reason. Easy peasy fix.

I'm done.

Just one small ETA - Why was the "Disney obsessed JLK" even mentioned, since that person has LOOOOONG not even been on the Team, so if used for comparison purposes to current Team members totally degrades the purpose? Totally confused.

Last edited:
I still love the DIS Podcasts, been listening for 7 years now. I appreciate the "real and honest" reporting and advice of what is going on at the Parks and in the Orlando area. The whole point of these podcasts is to give you opinions, whether you agree or disagree with them. Remember people are unique, what you may like they don't and vice versa. I still believe they give honest reviews and maybe I don't agree with every single review, but I still like to hear opposing viewpoints. I don't want sugar coating and rose colored glasses. Disneyland and World are constantly changing, so do reviews and opinions. Honestly, if you don't like other people's opinions, then I guess you need to look elsewhere.

I listen to WDW Radio for unbridled positivity and love for Disney World. I listen to the DIS for a more realistic view.

I'll be honest... I think Ryno has gotten a little too negative when it comes to Disney World. But in the last couple weeks, he's been making some really good points, and while they might be negative, he's not wrong. Now does that mean everything he says is accurate? No. But I also don't feel the need to cower in the corner because someone said something that I didn't like. You get a variety of opinions on this show. And you're not gonna agree with all of them. People are gonna complain that it's too negative, that it's too white, that it's too male-oriented, that it's not spending enough time talking about kids and family stuff (because how dare one Disney podcast not have kids/family be the focus of every discussion).

Deal with it. Because if you can't handle a Disney World podcast, you're gonna have a rough time with just about everything else in your life.

Last edited:
To OP because it seems like some people are giving you crap for expressing your opinion on a public forum. I do not 100% agree with your post but I do not think people should be calling you a troll because you're expressing your opinion. It's like you say anything against the show and people have to clutch their pearls.

It's a public forum people lighten up! Some people are going to say negative things about the show occasionally so don't expect booty kissing (can I say booty kissing?) 100% of the time.

That said I do not mind if the show gets a little negative. These are human beings with their own opinions and preferences. I like the real responses they give and I tend to agree with a lot of the negative aspects. For me, even though they are obsessed with Disney, it makes it refreshing to hear that they don't give Disney a pass for anything they don't agree with.

To OP because it seems like some people are giving you crap for expressing your opinion on a public forum. I do not 100% agree with your post but I do not think people should be calling you a troll because you're expressing your opinion. It's like you say anything against the show and people have to clutch their pearls.

It's a public forum people lighten up! Some people are going to say negative things about the show occasionally so don't expect booty kissing (can I say booty kissing?) 100% of the time.

That said I do not mind if the show gets a little negative. These are human beings with their own opinions and preferences. I like the real responses they give and I tend to agree with a lot of the negative aspects. For me, even though they are obsessed with Disney, it makes it refreshing to hear that they don't give Disney a pass for anything they don't agree with.
I agree. OP is getting blasted on here for their opinion...ridiculous

I personally love love love the podcast.... and the next Dis event Im not missing lol.....but I get so tired of reading posts that say if your not happy then stop watching.. that is a horrible response to someone not liking the direction of the podcast. Maybe they love the podcast but they see some problems that they see... are they not allowed to speak their minds? Cmon guys

This was said so well!!

As for people being harsh on OP I think people are just being protective as after all the content they provide on the show they share with us for free. They have these forums here for our use again for free. It’s a bit like posting a nasty comment on someones photo or blog. ‘If you dont like them.. dont follow them’ is what people usually say, so in this case, dont use their resources and post hate quite literally on their page.

Not that OP was hating in this case by any means its just I get why people will be sensitive to negativity to DISunplugged members here.

tenor.gif

I applaud the team coming up with new formats and not staying static. I think the blend of previous CM's (the current lineup) who are willing to share their experiences, and open themselves up to verbal/written arrows deserves credit, not chastising.

Keep doing what you keep doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!