Great non-Disney trips

I know we all love all things Disney, and of course, Disney vacations offer a lot of advantages for single parents. But, where else have some of you single moms and dads been with your kids? In addition to three WDW vacations, one Disney cruise, and an Adventures by Disney trip to Germany, I've taken my son to Arizona/the Grand Canyon, made the Harry Potter Pilgrimage to Universal, done a trip to the San Antonio area that included Sea World and Schlitterbahn, and taken a trip to the beaches of the Florida panhandle. We are currently booked on another ABD trip to Italy that will include several pre-days on our own in Rome. I'm curious about the itineraries others have planned...anyone want to share?

There are a lot of natural wonders here in America: Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, Acadia National Park in Maine, Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, the Atlantic and Pacific coasts, Carlsbad Caverns, the redwoods. These are all great places to take kids.

What is this non-Disney thing you speak of? Someday I may figure it out, but right now I can't escape the lure that is the Disney theme parks.

Not a single mom, but I'll put in a plug for Lake George in upstate NY.

We stay in town-- in Lake George Village-- at the Surfside. (Marine Village is practically next door and also a good choice.) You can park your car at the hotel, and not move it all week if you choose. (Though the outlets, Six Flags, and some of the other places we love require a car ride.) It's the typical little tourist town-- lots of shops and restaurants, mini golf, the HOuse of Frankenstein. Lots to do on the lake-- fishing, parasailing, you can rent a boat or go out on one of several big boats that are on the lake. You can walk to Fort William Henry for a little history, and see the fireworks and some music from the bandshell in Shephard's Park.

It's absolutely our favorite anti-Disney vacation. No plans to make ahead of time, lots of downtime.

DS and I rode the Polar Express during this past Christmas holiday season. We traveled to a different state, rode the Polar Express, then stayed overnight in a cabin. Each year, we will travel to a different state to ride the polar express. Im looking now for this year's polar express location. I want to find a place that has a great probability of snow during our train ride. I'm thinking Maine or Colorado.

I also took DS camping in the mountains a month ago. I LOVE camping! DS had a ball.

Our upcoming trip to WDW is our first in 10 years but my girls and I haven't been to too many places. We go to Valleyfair a lot in the summer and my family lives in Duluth, MN which is a great vacation spot. We did trips to Madison, WI twice last year and we've been to Wisconsin Dells. We've also camped but in a cabin. Next year I want to get to South Padre Island and North Carolina. The first with my kids and the second by myself.

We have traveled all over Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, and Oklahoma. My oldest has also been with me to DC, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. Now that my girls are older and my youngest (who has special needs) is better able to cope with changes we are starting to travel more. We will do Disney again in February. Then towards the end of next year we have southern California on the to do list for my oldest daughter's 13th birthday trip.

:worship:I truly admire single parents who can travel like this!!!!!!
That sounds like amazing experiences you are giving your kids! We do mostly a few big things a year. Blue Man Group..Movies...local theme parks, a sox game. That's about it. Let me tell you 3 teen boys at a movie & dinner = $200! :sad2:
Agreed, this is sacrifice and dedication at its finest. Kudos to all single parents

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!