Great non-Disney trips

We have only been to the beach locally and Disney so far. She's only 4 and I JUST got comfortable with her traveling. LOL! I'm hoping to go to Puerto Rico or St. Thomas soon(a US territory). I wanted to do a Disney cruise next year but since my ex refused to sign the passport forms, we had to cancel. :(

This is what makes me nervous. I'm hoping by the time we're ready for Alaska, things will be better between us and he won't give me problems regarding the passport. We didn't need it for the Bahamas cruise. This is some of the drama I deal with often. Smh

Again, I envy those who don't have to deal with an ex.

Would any of you be interested in a blog/website specifically geared toward traveling as a single-parent family? With suggested itineraries, trip reports, and tips for traveling to destinations all over the world? It would include information for all sorts of vacations (individual travel, group travel, cruises, etc.) at a variety of price points (some luxury, some budget, some in between). I'm working on something now...not quite ready to publicize the site, but maybe by this weekend. I want to get some more content posted. Eventually, I'd like to post itineraries and trip reports from other single parents, not just our travels.

Would any of you be interested in a blog/website specifically geared toward traveling as a single-parent family? With suggested itineraries, trip reports, and tips for traveling to destinations all over the world? It would include information for all sorts of vacations (individual travel, group travel, cruises, etc.) at a variety of price points (some luxury, some budget, some in between). I'm working on something now...not quite ready to publicize the site, but maybe by this weekend. I want to get some more content posted. Eventually, I'd like to post itineraries and trip reports from other single parents, not just our travels.

I'd definitely be interested! I actually considered doing this myself a couple of years ago, but I just don't have the time. It's a great idea!

I would definitely follow your blog! I've been wanting to blog, but technology is not my strong point. Every time I convince myself to set up my blog, my fear of understanding anything technologically based causes me to not follow through. :(

I'm not giving up though. As soon as I move past the fear, I'll make it happen. :)

I'm in Canada so I had to get our passports to go to Disney (and on our cruise), I am very thankful it was so easy (no ex to deal with). For trips, we go visit my parents quite often, they live in an area with lots of nice beaches only 3 hours away, so we usually go there in the summer. Otherwise we have taken the train to Toronto for an overnight trip, and plan to do that again this summer. I would love to go to more places but am not sure where to go! I am a little scared of driving in the States :) we are about 6 hours from Philadelphia, 8 hours from Boston, which both sound nice (and seem to have things to do). We have plans this summer for day trips, but nothing big so far. I'm waiting for our contracts at work to be signed, we are now 2 1/2 years in negotiations, so I'll be getting a pretty big chunk of back pay which I am hoping to use for a trip (Disney or cruise... still not sure lol).

I would love to see a travel blog for single-parent families though, my son is very good at listening when we are out but I am not sure of "good" places to go, easy places to visit.

I'd be glad to help. I have a blogged off and on since dh's passing. I have few trip reports in here; but I had considered for my next trip I would just blog it and post the link as a TR.

We live near Washington, DC so we take a lot of day-trips to see museums and historical sights. This year my youngest has taken an interest in Early American History so we have gone to Williamsburg, VA to see Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown. I decided to get us annual passes and we are trying to take one trip a month since there is so many things to see. We usually just go for either the day or an overnight trip. We are also hoping to get to St. Mary's City this summer too.

We travel to amusement parks, but since our first Disney trip last December they all seem lacking. We've been to Kings Dominion, Sesame Place, Busch Gardens, Water Country USA, and Six Flags America.

Oh my. I has issues getting my son a passport too...the people told me my ex needed to sign forms even though he has terminated rights. Oh no haha. Do you know that if you are on a closed loop cruise (meaning starts and ends at the same port) you don't technically HAVE to have one? It depends on your comfort level...a lot of people like to have one in case you miss the boat, have to disembark for a medical emergency, etc. but it's not a requirement.

Not a whole lot of travel for us. My son is 7 and I wasn't comfortable on long vacations until earlier this year. We've been on a cruise and to WDW but besides that we've just done local or 1-2 nights. We live in central kentucky and about 1.5 hours from both Cincinnati and Louisville, so we've been to those lots. My son loves baseball so we will go to see the cincinnati reds fairly often. We've also been to Chicago. I am tossing around the idea of taking a long weekend trip to the beach later this month or beginning of next month. Possibly somewhere like Hilton head? Not sure.

Wow... I didn't have a problem with DS getting a pass port. I just sent a copy of my child custody paperwork with all the other parer work you have to send and they sent it to us.

This is what makes me nervous. I'm hoping by the time we're ready for Alaska, things will be better between us and he won't give me problems regarding the passport. We didn't need it for the Bahamas cruise. This is some of the drama I deal with often. Smh

Again, I envy those who don't have to deal with an ex.

It's a blessing and a curse. -_-

Wow... I didn't have a problem with DS getting a pass port. I just sent a copy of my child custody paperwork with all the other parer work you have to send and they sent it to us.

Do you have sole legal custody? If you do, they don't have to sign the consent form.

There is a path for getting a passport when the other parent is unavailable (ie, if they have terminated rights, been incarcerated, or otherwise made themselves unavailable). However, you must submit an additional form (DS-5525 Statement of exigent/special family circumstances) and evidence/legal orders to document the exigent/special family circumstances along with all of the other required application materials.

I actually wrote a blog post about this that has all of the info and links. I wasn't quite ready to post this, but if people are being told they can't get their kid a passport when there are procedures to handle special circumstances, then this info needs to get out there.

https://singlemamawilltravel.wordpress.com/2015/07/03/required-travel-documents/

Oh... it still hasn't been a picnic but... his abusive behavior with me while I was pregnant and his denying him as his son played a big part in the Judges decision I'm sure.

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that it was easy. I'm so sorry you and DS had to go through that. I was just wishing I had sole legal custody. Once again, I'm sorry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!