Grand Californian Super Thread

This is interesting. Has anyone else been through security by Starbucks? I wonder if they are testing adding a third security station.
It was still open in the middle of the day when we came back for an afternoon break but wasn’t open any of the other days we were there, FWIW.

I was there last week and while I was exploring the grounds at GCH, I did go down to the little courtyard area where that "starbucks entrance" must have been. It was not operational, but there was a metal detector staged there, so perhaps they still open it up from time to time? Probably not something you can count on.

Speaking of security, I wondered if anyone had any recent experience with the security line into DTD just a bit later in the morning - like 8:30am or so - about 30 minutes after park open? I wonder if the line would have died down just a bit by then? Maybe all the early entry and rope drop people would have already been through. Or maybe it is the opposite? Because it is still early, it is still super busy of everyone making it to the park for the day?

One of my plans for an upcoming trip would involved skipping early entry and rope drop and going just a bit later, but I don't want to get snarled in a 45 minute security line either.

I was there last week and while I was exploring the grounds at GCH, I did go down to the little courtyard area where that "starbucks entrance" must have been. It was not operational, but there was a metal detector staged there, so perhaps they still open it up from time to time? Probably not something you can count on.
I was there last week and was told it's open on DL early entry mornings for about an hour or as needed. They said they don't have the staff to keep it open all the time.

Having a hard time visualizing where the Starbucks entry is?
Isn’t this the one that’s always been open by Sephora?

If different, can someone link a pic/map please?
It's different. I'm sure someone with map talent will post, but it's just a little gate that used to be open sometimes many years ago when they didn't have security to enter downtown Disney. I can't say that I ever used it, but I do remember seeing it open from downtown Disney.

I have never seen it….
Interesting that the Google image above is from 2017. Obviously it has been there for a while. I guess if they really only use it when things get backed up at the other security.

We were there last weekend and there was a reception in the courtyard near the DTD security. Everyone was watching the reception as they waited in line (which was backed up to the GCH sliding door entrance). In situations like that, it seems like it would have been a better idea to re-route guests to the Starbucks security. :confused3

Interesting that the Google image above is from 2017. Obviously it has been there for a while. I guess if they really only use it when things get backed up at the other security.

We were there last weekend and there was a reception in the courtyard near the DTD security. Everyone was watching the reception as they waited in line (which was backed up to the GCH sliding door entrance). In situations like that, it seems like it would have been a better idea to re-route guests to the Starbucks security. :confused3
Anything they can do to make the security funnel bigger would be helpful for guests paying $$$$ to stay at Grand Cal….

The Starbucks security line has been used on our past 3 trips during the morning hours (opening weekend of Christmas season and then two spring break adjacent to Easter trips). They opened that entrance shortly after opening the main downtown Disney security entrance and split the line that was already formed for that. It stinks if you end up right before the split because you have to watch all the people who were behind you in line go through security right away at the Starbucks entrance and you have to still wait in line to get through the main downtown Disney security entrance.

Looks like in August 2016, there was no metal detector so probably just a staff entrance at that time, perhaps.

Aug2016.jpg

We don't usually head to the park until 9:30 or later so the lines haven't been too bad for us at the normal entrance. But I've seen pictures of it being so long early in the morning. They really should staff more people at the 2nd entrance.

Though, ideally, I'd like to see the machines like they have at WDW. I still don't understand why they don't have them.

Anything they can do to make the security funnel bigger would be helpful for guests paying $$$$ to stay at Grand Cal….
We were leaving around 4 pm on an OBB night. We entered GCH from DCA. The line to get into the park from the GCH-DCA entrance wound all the way back to Storytellers. I think the line exiting through DTD was because people didn't want to wait in the DCA line. Other times we've experienced a back up at that DTD entrance was because they only had one security lane open. Once they open the 2nd lane, the line moves much faster.

Thoughts on YouTube premium?
Amazing!!!
It’s actually unbelievable how much I hated the commercials, I now think Google designed the weird timer to skip just to frustrate people into paying for premium. lol

On the subject of the Starbucks gate, I think I just assumed it was a path to backstage for Starbucks or whatever else.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest