• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Goodbye 'Ohana

So are the limbo and fun activities for the kids completely gone? My girls remembered that from our last trip and Ohana was there first request.
We just went for dinner a few nights ago. There was a gentleman walking around singing and playing the ukulele. There was also the coconut race for the kids.

I was worried about being rushed based on recent reports but we were not rushed at all. They did bring salad out right away and then the noodles and veg about 15 minutes later followed by the meats. They asked how much we wanted of each type of meat and came back by several times. The staff were all very friendly and chatty. My son was in dumpling heaven so I asked for a few more for him twice and they were very nice about getting it for him.

We went bc were at the Poly and I thought my DH would enjoy it ( it’s not my favorite kind of food) but we actually had a fabulous time and the food was pretty good.

The only thing I didn’t like was the Lapu Lapu. It was too strong for me but I’m an alcohol wimp :drinking1

We ate there late June and had a great time. We weren’t rushed at all. Our waitress was very friendly and chatty. She had family who lives near us. I especially liked the steak and my daughter ate her body weight in shrimp I think. We didn’t care much for the app plate. The salad and dessert was great. I had heard they were giving out very small servings of the bread pudding but ours was huge. We prob won’t repeat soon as we like to switch things up and it was kind of expensive but it was pretty good.

We had our first breakfast there Jan of 2015 and LOVED it. Service was great, had a good vibe, and character interactions were awesome. We went back in September of 2017 and were massively disappointed. Felt incredibly rushed, service wasn't friendly (and they are supposed to push that Ohana vibe!), the food wasn't good and mostly cold, and character interactions were meh. The restaurant was pretty empty too. We won't be going back.

I was really disappointed in our breakfast there. The eggs were runny, sausage burnt, bacon soggy. Only brought out three waffles for a table of 5 and it took forever to get more. The bread and juice were the only edible things honestly. The characters were fun but that’s about it. The food really put me off from wanting to try dinner there. Guess we aren’t missing much, good to know!

We just went for dinner a few nights ago. There was a gentleman walking around singing and playing the ukulele. There was also the coconut race for the kids.

I was worried about being rushed based on recent reports but we were not rushed at all. They did bring salad out right away and then the noodles and veg about 15 minutes later followed by the meats. They asked how much we wanted of each type of meat and came back by several times. The staff were all very friendly and chatty. My son was in dumpling heaven so I asked for a few more for him twice and they were very nice about getting it for him.

We went bc were at the Poly and I thought my DH would enjoy it ( it’s not my favorite kind of food) but we actually had a fabulous time and the food was pretty good.

The only thing I didn’t like was the Lapu Lapu. It was too strong for me but I’m an alcohol wimp :drinking1

Your experience mirrored ours and we ate there July 5th. This was our first restaurant experience but we've eaten the food several times in the past via room service. One of my traveling kiddos joined in on the cocoanut race, the other stayed in seat to enjoy the "babies" having fun (tough being almost 13). The kids requested this meal and the only thing they missed was the availability to eat the cold leftovers late at night. They loved the addition of ice cream to the dessert which doesn't come with the room service version. Oh and another good thing about dining at the restaurant was the ability to ask for and receive more stir fried veggies to eat w/ the meats.

I knew I was being rushed and I just felt very uncomfortable with the vibe I was getting from the servers.

Meanwhile, someone whose "I was there for 8 nights" report was moved to the Trip Report forum, and she says that service was so slow (over 2 hours) that they missed their planned EMH.

Servers can't win.

I personally wouldn't care if food came out all at once. If given too much time with an appetizer I fill up completely, and the rest of a meal is wasted on me. I'd rather have all of it in front of me NOW so I can have variety with what I'm filling up on.

Meanwhile, someone whose "I was there for 8 nights" report was moved to the Trip Report forum, and she says that service was so slow (over 2 hours) that they missed their planned EMH.

Servers can't win.

I personally wouldn't care if food came out all at once. If given too much time with an appetizer I fill up completely, and the rest of a meal is wasted on me. I'd rather have all of it in front of me NOW so I can have variety with what I'm filling up on.

Servers can't win.

There does not need to be extremes. I am a former server and knew how to time meals. UNless requested, no one shoudl have the entire set of courses plunked on the table at one time, and no one should wait two hours to complete a meal. The reports of inconsistencies in food quality and service levels are an indication that this restaurnat is have issues in both the front and back of the house. 'Ohana is chronically overbooked, and when this occurs service is either rushed or slow, and food can either be over or under cooked, depending on how the kitchen reacts to the pressure. It is a shame the reports of great service and perfectly cooked food are fewer dn fewer. And overshadowed by those that indicate a restaurant in chaos.

I have described our last experience there a few times and after having that meal will not ever return Our poor server managed to have both an urgent demeanor in getting to us and a service time that kept us there over two hours. I am not blaming her though, we watched as she was run ragged that evening and chose not to add pressure to her already stressed evening. She also had no control over the stringy meats, the cold sides and the soggy salad. She also could not control the table of hooligans from Hell next to us, although the CM who was leaning on the wall for the entire time might have stepped in to assist her rather than hold that wall up for two hours.

Wow, lots of 'Ohana haters here - and still the ADRs are hard to get!! :confused3 The descriptions of the dishes are not what we experience.
We have gone probably since they opened, too many times to count, and we love that place.

It's called 'family style' folks, and that's exactly how it's served - basically all at once! Have never understood why people say they feel rushed. Maybe family style is just not for you. We have a historical restaurant in our state that is advertised and served the same way and it is always packed!

We have always eaten at our own pace, if a meat comes and we're not ready, we just say "a little later please" - easy-peasy. We've had waiters that were faster/slower, but always nice and we've never been put off by them.

No restaurant is for everyone - just move on and enjoy a different type restaurant - not a biggie at all.

Wow, lots of 'Ohana haters here - and still the ADRs are hard to get!! :confused3 The descriptions of the dishes are not what we experience.
We have gone probably since they opened, too many times to count, and we love that place.

It's called 'family style' folks, and that's exactly how it's served - basically all at once! Have never understood why people say they feel rushed. Maybe family style is just not for you. We have a historical restaurant in our state that is advertised and served the same way and it is always packed!

We have always eaten at our own pace, if a meat comes and we're not ready, we just say "a little later please" - easy-peasy. We've had waiters that were faster/slower, but always nice and we've never been put off by them.

No restaurant is for everyone - just move on and enjoy a different type restaurant - not a biggie at all.

This!

We have been to Ohana every visit and yes the food comes quickly (its family style), but we never ever feel rushed. I will concede that over the years the food has started to come quicker, but we still never feel rushed and are always offered more. If they wanted to rush us out, they wouldn’t offer more and more and more.

I love dinner at Ohana, it’s a requirement on each visit for me. I’m sorry people have had bad experiences there.

Family style and all at once are two different concepts. If a restaurant consistantly serves all the courses at once, it is policy, and understood as you enter. If a restaurant changes it's service willy nilly, it is an internal probelm.

Meats should never have descriptions such as "stringy" and soggy when referencing the salad, or cold when describing the hot appetizers. This is why folks are discussing the changes at 'Ohana. WHen two family's on teh same night can have two entirely different dining experiences there is a problem, and we are seeing that now.

For the person who asked about breakfast:

Our breakfast last month with a 755AM ADR was fine. Our server was...a bit...spacey? absent minded?....but she was very, very nice and kept apologizing. When we wanted something, we asked whoever was bringing food/bread/walking by and they took care of it or found our server. I don't feel guilty about that...I'm not rude but I will politely ask for things.

I had heard about the change from bacon to ham but that you could request bacon if you desired. We did, they brought wonderful huge plate of bacon, and the table was very happy.

They also offered us bread to take with us when my son kept complimenting it.

It was breakfast, you know? There's only so much can be done with breakfast food. All of it was cooked properly, arrived at our table at the correct temperature, and was tasty and filling. People were wonderful.

Characters were fabulous. Atmosphere...it's our favorite resort. It's on my bucket list for staying. :)

I swear I saw these same exact reports back in 2015 when I was researching our trip. I feel rushed....the quality of food is just not the same....they took this away....they added this.....I really don't think these are new issues. Just different people rehashing them.

I'm not seeing people hate just to upset the people who love Ohana. They're just sharing their own experiences which is what these forums are for. I thought the food was fine but not the least bit memorable in any way. You're also seeing reports from people who have been many times and say their experience hasn't been what it previously was. These people certainly knew what to expect from this type of restaurant gong in.

Family style doesn't mean "all at once". It means everything is served on large platters that each person serves themself as.

That said Most people put the sides on their plate at the same time as the entree e en when serving themselves so the veg and noodles should come at the same time as the meats. The potstickers and so he are apps and should come first.

I thought Ohana was lousy food so we won't ever go back.

Thanks for your honest reviews !

Ohana is the one restaurant I couldn't get for my ADR and was really disappointed.

Maybe it is a blessing in disguise.

Thanks for your honest reviews !

Ohana is the one restaurant I couldn't get for my ADR and was really disappointed.

Maybe it is a blessing in disguise.

It could be just a phase. As you and others pointed out it's still a popular restaurant. You may go and love it. If you really think you'd like to try it I highly recommend the Touring Plans Reservation Finder. It's helped get me every reservation I've looked for the past few trips.

If I hated the restaurant I would not take time out of my day to write about what happened. As I have stated before, I have been coming here once or twice a year for the last twelve years and this place is important to me. I know how great this restaurant can be. Yesterday I did more research and have seen countless reports over the last year stating exactly what I experienced... Even the DisUnplugged team who did a dining review recently stated the same thing. I think the previous posters are right in stating that this restaurant is vastly overbooked and that puts a strain on the dining experience because they are trying to turn over tables as quick as possible.

Actually, I don’t hate Ohana at all. Just sharing a disappointing experience we had. I had the exact opposite situation where our server, as well as the characters, were beyond slow. Family style or not, for what you pay for these restaurants, you expect to have a decent experience- consistent if anything. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter