Goodbye 'Ohana

ChrisnKim913

DIS Veteran
My wife and I have always had a place in our heart for 'Ohana. We first ate here 12 years ago when we got engaged, we ate here for our first anniversary 10 years ago, and we have eaten here numerous anniversaries since. Over the last 4 years we have eaten here at least once a year with daughter for both breakfast and dinner. Last night as we celebrated our 11th anniversary with dinner at 'Ohana, we both decided we will not be back.

I understand restaurants change over time, but I have noticed a trend with 'Ohana over the last few years when it comes to service and it has not improved. When we arrived I went to podium to check in while my wife took our daughter to the bathroom. I got us both a beer at the Tambu Loungue and then I got the text that our table was ready... that was awesome. We got seated and immediately was brought the salad while the waitress introduced us to the restaurant and we ordered our daughter a kids meal. As the waitress left, her helper brought us the skillet with the noodles, veggies, chicken wings, and potstickers. It seemed a little fast but we finished our plate of salad and just as we started to get food out of the skillet onto our plates, our waitress comes along with the skewers. Now I remember last year feeling rushed but not like this. I looked at my phone and realized we haven’t even been seated for 5 minutes and the meats were already coming out. This leads me to the chicken... The chicken was border line inedible. It didn’t cut like chicken or even taste like chicken. The meat just seemed like fat pieces so I asked for another piece when she came back around and it was the same thing. The steak was perfect and the winner of the night. As they brought around the steak my beer was empty and they never once offered to refill even when they came around with the shrimp. Yes I could have asked for a refill but I knew I was being rushed and I just felt very uncomfortable with the vibe I was getting from the servers. My wife could tell I was aggravated and she even said she couldn’t believe how rushed she felt. When we are paying out of pocket at $50 a piece, I can not justify coming here anymore. It’s a shame because this restaurant has been a special place for us for a long time. I hope they can get things turned around but I think this is all about turning over tables as quickly as possible.

Sorry to hear about your experience but it seems to be a continuing trend. Our experience in April was our first and a good chance likely our last. Service was friendly but definitely rushed and the food was mostly good but nothing exceptional. It wasn't a bad experience but not what I was expecting after the build up.

My wife and I have always had a place in our heart for 'Ohana. We first ate here 12 years ago when we got engaged, we ate here for our first anniversary 10 years ago, and we have eaten here numerous anniversaries since. Over the last 4 years we have eaten here at least once a year with daughter for both breakfast and dinner. Last night as we celebrated our 11th anniversary with dinner at 'Ohana, we both decided we will not be back.

I understand restaurants change over time, but I have noticed a trend with 'Ohana over the last few years when it comes to service and it has not improved. When we arrived I went to podium to check in while my wife took our daughter to the bathroom. I got us both a beer at the Tambu Loungue and then I got the text that our table was ready... that was awesome. We got seated and immediately was brought the salad while the waitress introduced us to the restaurant and we ordered our daughter a kids meal. As the waitress left, her helper brought us the skillet with the noodles, veggies, chicken wings, and potstickers. It seemed a little fast but we finished our plate of salad and just as we started to get food out of the skillet onto our plates, our waitress comes along with the skewers. Now I remember last year feeling rushed but not like this. I looked at my phone and realized we haven’t even been seated for 5 minutes and the meats were already coming out. This leads me to the chicken... The chicken was border line inedible. It didn’t cut like chicken or even taste like chicken. The meat just seemed like fat pieces so I asked for another piece when she came back around and it was the same thing. The steak was perfect and the winner of the night. As they brought around the steak my beer was empty and they never once offered to refill even when they came around with the shrimp. Yes I could have asked for a refill but I knew I was being rushed and I just felt very uncomfortable with the vibe I was getting from the servers. My wife could tell I was aggravated and she even said she couldn’t believe how rushed she felt. When we are paying out of pocket at $50 a piece, I can not justify coming here anymore. It’s a shame because this restaurant has been a special place for us for a long time. I hope they can get things turned around but I think this is all about turning over tables as quickly as possible.

I could have written this! We went to 'Ohana the night we got engaged (were able to walk in, back in 2002!) and went a few times a year after that. Little by little the food became worse or they cut back favorites of ours, plus rushed service. We stopped going long ago. We used to go to WDW often (Floridians) due to the great food but things have gone so downhill I'd rather get a one bedroom villa and cook a frozen pizza than spend on a TS meal (the exception is Spice Road Table!!). I think these restaurants can't handle the massive amount of business they are given. Everything now is mass produced and served quickly to accommodate the masses. Another casualty is Le Cellier.

We are in the same boat. My family always requested 'Ohana and we always enjoyed it. It was uneven but still between the "ohana potatoes and the desert we kept going back. Goodbye potatoes, and hello lo mein. Stillwe continued. Goodbye pork. Oh well, things change. Rush rush rush, not fun. But when that place turns into a circus, the drinks horrible, and the food not even palatable, its time to move on.

...I think these restaurants can't handle the massive amount of business they are given. Everything now is mass produced and served quickly to accommodate the masses. Another casualty is Le Cellier.

I totally agree. In my opinion, another casualty is Be Our Guest. I wonder if they take too many ADR's and that is what is causing this.

We went last August and are going again this year. I would not normally mind being rushed a little as time is serious money at WDW; but they get ridiculous at Ohana.

We have tended to lean more toward buffets where someone can take there time, during our past couple of trips.

I have yet to dine at Ohana and feel rushed. Just the opposite, actually, where we feel it’s too slow.

However like @Nancyg56, the last two times we had dinner there, our drinks were horrible. The first time, I thought it was a fluke. The next time, I don’t know what to think. I used to love the Lapu Lapu.

Next time we go, I will probably stick with unsweetened iced tea. The drinks there are too expensive to taste like fruit punch with no booze.

I’m curious if breakfast has the same rushed feeling. I would hope not since it’s a character meal. Anyone have any experience there?

I'm with you, OP. We have eaten at O'hana at least once a year for the last 10 years and our last visit, in December 2017, will be our last. Gone are the days of a relaxed meal, with good service at a good pace and good music and entertainment. We waited forever for our appetizers and then meat was unceremoniously dumped on our plates without anyone asking how much we wanted and if we even wanted certain things. No coconut races, no limbo, no fun. We won't be back.

At least going into it now you know that they are bringing things out extremely fast. Just simply tell them no when they bring the meats, “I’m not ready yet. Thank you.” It is not like some other restaurants where if you get your entrée super it early that’s it and you’re screwed. Just take your time with the noodles, chicken wings, and potstickers.
They aren’t going to kick you out.

Now, if food quality and service is continually poor, that’s another story. Time to look elsewhere.

Dan

We also go yearly and have noticed the rushed feeling, but we just tell them we’re not ready for the next course yet and they wait. Our food quality is usually good though. We love the atmosphere and have an ADR for our upcoming trip. I was upset though that on our last visit there (as PP said) they didn’t have the usual fun activities for the kids.

We also had a bad experience at ‘Ohana, but for breakfast. Our waiter was SO slow. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but there were literally only 3 tables he was serving, including ours, at the time. He didn’t give us bread right away, due to our son’s allergies (which we completely understood). He said he had to wait for the chef to see us. The chef literally came out in 5 minutes and cleared our table for bread. We had to ask the waiter about two times after that for bread. Our food actually came out before the bread did. By that time nobody wanted it. We also didn’t receive any drinks for at least 15 minutes of sitting there. I requested bacon, but we got ham. We also were only given three waffles, one for each of us. We couldn’t find our waiter, but when he finally came back over, I kindly noted I requested bacon (no ham) and requested more waffles at that time. It was a good 20 minutes before we saw him again. (As you can imagine, drink refills were nearly impossible to get too). During all this time, only Mickey came by to see our table. It took us under an hour to eat, however during this time, we still have not seen any other characters. An hour and a half went by (in total) and I finally asked somebody if the other characters were going to come and see us at all. They said they must have already passed us by the time we were seated, and they were kind enough to have them come by. The table next to us were also waiting. We love Ohana, and we have gone once a year, even twice in one week... but after this visit, we said it wasn’t worth it.

I’m curious if breakfast has the same rushed feeling. I would hope not since it’s a character meal. Anyone have any experience there?
We went yesterday for breakfast. We had tons of refills, asked for and got plenty of extras, and even ordered upcharge drinks at various times (pressed coffee, kids punch). Didnt feel rushed too much, but then we have never eaten there before. Keep in mind also that we are not the type to sit around at a table either. We eat and go, so take it with a grain if salt.

We went yesterday for breakfast. We had tons of refills, asked for and got plenty of extras, and even ordered upcharge drinks at various times (pressed coffee, kids punch). Didnt feel rushed too much, but then we have never eaten there before. Keep in mind also that we are not the type to sit around at a table either. We eat and go, so take it with a grain if salt.

Happy you had a good experience!

So are the limbo and fun activities for the kids completely gone? My girls remembered that from our last trip and Ohana was there first request.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter