Good Deed Done.....?

FeelingSilly

Earning My Ears
Long time user, but didn't want to use my regular Username.

Tonight DH and I went out to eat at a local restaurant. Inside were 4 uniformed police officers enjoying their breaks. I don't know what came over me but I asked our waitress what their tab was and offered to pay it anonymously. $56 after tip later I feel rather foolish..........DH and I don't make much, and that money would have been used on one of our own bills...not that we'll get behind on them without the money, but it isn't like we have a lot of extra.

I know I did a good thing.....and Im sure the officers appreciated it....but why does it feel like I was a fool? Has anyone else ever done something good for someone else and then felt silly for doing it? :confused3

I think it was a great show of support for the police and should not feel silly. These people have real bills too, but maybe your act will encourage them to pay it forward to someone else. Helping others should not come with the feeling of guilt. You did a good thing!

If more people did good deeds like you did tonight, the world would be a better place. Thanks for your kindness.

"I have wept in the night
At my shortness of sight
That to others' needs made me blind,
But I never have yet
Had a twinge of regret
For being a little too kind.”

― C.R. Gibson

I would not second guess myself. You did something good. There should be more kindness.

It might inspire them to pay it forward and that's always a good thing.

Tonight DH and I went out to eat at a local restaurant. Inside were 4 uniformed police officers enjoying their breaks. I don't know what came over me but I asked our waitress what their tab was and offered to pay it anonymously. $56 after tip later I feel rather foolish..........DH and I don't make much, and that money would have been used on one of our own bills...not that we'll get behind on them without the money, but it isn't like we have a lot of extra.

I know I did a good thing.....and Im sure the officers appreciated it....but why does it feel like I was a fool? Has anyone else ever done something good for someone else and then felt silly for doing it? :confused3

Feel good about the good deed. Sure the money could have been used for something else, but you felt the urge to do that good deed and you and DH were in agreement.

So long as this was not to your detriment making you unable to pay your household bills, I would not worry about it.

OP I firmly believe that good karma for a good deed done will always come back to you in more than what you give. Trust your decision in that moment and don't look back. Feel good about what you did and don't allow negativity take that away from you.

Honestly, you could feel that way about buying dinner out for yourselves. You should never feel guilt over doing a good deed. It's not really supposed to be about how you feel about it anyway. It's about how you make someone else feel. DH has had meals bought for him when he was in uniform (US Navy) and he has also bought a few himself for others.

You are not a fool, you did something wonderful for people you respect. I am sure you brought them happiness. Often times the police deal with very difficult and horrible people and see a lot of senseless violence. they work nights and holidays to keep us safe. Your act of kindness probably reassured them there is good in the world.

You are experiencing "buyers remorse" with regards to your own financial balance sheet so to speak.

This is one of those times where your head and heart are at war.

Tell your heart, to tell your head that it is OK to spend money on something that benefits someone else.

Think of it as "giving a gift". :thumbsup2

You are experiencing "buyers remorse" with regards to your own financial balance sheet so to speak.

This is one of those times where your head and heart are at war.

Tell your heart, to tell your head that it is OK to spend money on something that benefits someone else.

Think of it as "giving a gift". :thumbsup2

This is it, exactly. You wanted to do something nice, but it hurt the wallet a little more than you thought it might. Nothing wrong there. :)

I have found that every good deed has brought me even more back. I know that you said you couldn't afford it but I will be surprised if karma doesn't bring you at least the $56 back. I find whatever I give, within a few days I get even more than I gave back somehow. And when that happens you give again and it always comes back. It's a cycle. Feel good about your good deed.

You did a really good deed. No reason to feel guilty. You have no idea what you paying for their meals meant to them. And also for that fact the waitress. So see your good deed could be planting seeds of good deeds. Does that make sense??

OP I firmly believe that good karma for a good deed done will always come back to you in more than what you give. Trust your decision in that moment and don't look back. Feel good about what you did and don't allow negativity take that away from you.

I have found that every good deed has brought me even more back. I know that you said you couldn't afford it but I will be surprised if karma doesn't bring you at least the $56 back. I find whatever I give, within a few days I get even more than I gave back somehow. And when that happens you give again and it always comes back. It's a cycle. Feel good about your good deed.

ITA with this. You did such a nice thing, don't feel bad about it at all. I get the pinch to the wallet but I agree, I think it will come back to you in some way. Be proud of your spontaneous gesture, I'm sure it brightened their night!

OP Here. Thanks you all for your wonderful words of support and understanding :flower3: After having slept on it overnight, I agree with several others that I was experiencing a little buyers remorse. I am glad that I did what I did, and I'm not going to guilt myself over the money- it is just money after all :wizard: I hope the officers enjoyed their meals and know that we do appreciate all of their hard work.:hug:

OP Here. Thanks you all for your wonderful words of support and understanding :flower3: After having slept on it overnight, I agree with several others that I was experiencing a little buyers remorse. I am glad that I did what I did, and I'm not going to guilt myself over the money- it is just money after all :wizard: I hope the officers enjoyed their meals and know that we do appreciate all of their hard work.:hug:

I'll bet those officers will remember what you did for them long after you have forgotten about the money. They probably went home and told their families that some nice person bought their meals. Their family members probably smiled and thought how nice of the person who did that.

Op I think u should feel good about what you did! We have done this for military personnel , who were most gracious. We just told the waiter that we wanted to pay for their lunch. When they tried to pay their bill, they were told it was covered. They were so appreciative, almost too appreciative. Made me wonder why others don't somehow acknowledge their contribution.
Anyway, feel good about what you did, know that you probably made their day. What a most generous offering you made, more so because it really impacted you. So, thanks for that! Happy Holiday!

My father is a retired policeman.
It's not an easy job.
I can tell you that your kindness meant the world to those men.
Remember, they often see the worst of the world.
It's nice when they can see the best of it.

Your pay it forward gift to :worship: those who protect us everyday, and the replies here were needed for me to send 2014 packing. This past year has been a dark one.

Thanks everybody, and A Merry "almost" Christmas :santa: &. A Happier New Year!

2015.. :woohoo:

OP, you did a wonderful thing! I bet policemen all over are wondering if people appreciate them right now, and you did something to reassure the ones within your reach.

Like someone else said, they will remember the gesture far longer than you remember the expense.

And job, thank you for the poem! I just copied it out to hang up in my kitchen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter