Gift of RCI Points/Weeks

amy-bee-0

Earning My Ears
My aunt is unable to use her RCI points and has offered them to my family. I have no experience with timeshares (RCI, DVC or otherwise) but do know they timeshare often at fairly high end places. While I wait on details, what are the chances of being able to book a grand villa at any Disney resort the week of January 19th? Also, what kind of conversion would you need for that (i.e. 3 weeks at a 1 bedroom = 1 week at a 3 bedroom) or does it even work that way?

Thanks
(Not a Disney newbie but a newbie to DVC)

Your chances are extremely slim for January 2013 for any size unit. Except for the unlikely cancellation, the January deposits have aready been sent to RCI and consumed. Do consider lowering your expectations on room size. DVC rarely sends 3BR units to RCI.

I have no experience with timeshares (RCI, DVC or otherwise)...

trading for timeshares works better if you are planning a year or so in advance. 3 months out is pretty much "short notice."

trading for onsite at all (even a 1BR or 2BR) is very unlikely at this point. i'd recommend looking for a 2BR at a good offsite resort...maybe one of these, if possible:

one of the hiltons (grand vacation club)
sheraton vistana villages or vistana resort
bonnet creek

If Bonnet Creek has availability, that would (IMO) be the best choice for an offsite location. I agree, I think hoping for a DVC exchange is a big stretch, though they could get lucky.

Currently in RCI Weeks (not RCI Points) for Orlando Area with Check-in on January 19, 2013, I see 16 resorts:

Club Sevilla (#5169)
Kissimmee, FL 34746, USA
1BR and 2BR units available
Exchange Trading Power Range 8 - 9

High Point World Resort (#2066)
Kissimmee, FL 34747, USA
2BR unit available
Exchange Trading Power 9

Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Orange Lake Resort - East Village (#8896)
Kissimmee, FL 34747, USA
2BR unit available
Exchange Trading Power 19

Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Orange Lake Resort - West Village (#0670)
Kissimmee, FL 34747, USA
Studio, 2BR and 3BR units available
Exchange Trading Power Range 10 - 14

Kingstown Reef (#5945)
Orlando, FL 32821, USA
Hotel and 1BR units available
Exchange Trading Power Range 7 - 9

Legacy Vacation Club Orlando-Resort World II (#8688)
Kissimmee, FL 34746, USA
2BR unit available
Exchange Trading Power 8

Legacy Vacation Club Orlando-Spas (#8615)
Kissimmee, FL 34746, USA
3BR unit available
Exchange Trading Power 9

Orbit One Vacation Villas (#5109)
Kissimmee, FL 34747, USA
2BR unit available
Exchange Trading Power 9

Orlando International Resort Club (#0552)
Orlando, FL 32819, USA
2BR unit available
Exchange Trading Power 9

RHC/High Point World Resort (#2976)
Kissimmee, FL 34746, USA
1BR unit available
Exchange Trading Power 8

Sheraton Vistana Resort (#0450)
Orlando, 32821, USA
Exchange Trading Power Range 21 - 23

Silverleaf's Orlando Breeze Resort (#A432)
Davenport, FL 33897, USA
2BR unit available
Exchange Trading Power 9

Vacation Village at Parkway (#4940)
Kissimmee, FL 34747, USA
1BR unit available
Exchange Trading Power 10

Westgate Leisure Resort (#4206)
Orlando, FL 32821, USA
Exchange Trading Power Range
8 - 9

Worldgate Resort Hotel & Convention Center a "Green" Hotel (#7916)
Kissimmee, FL 34747, USA
Hotel unit available
Exchange Trading Power 5

Wyndham Cypress Palms (#3995)
Kissimmee, FL 34746, USA
Exchange Trading Power Range 8 - 9

There were additional resorts offered for check-in on either 1/18 or 1/20. Even more options offered as rental vs exchange.

My aunt is unable to use her RCI points and has offered them to my family. I have no experience with timeshares (RCI, DVC or otherwise) but do know they timeshare often at fairly high end places. While I wait on details, what are the chances of being able to book a grand villa at any Disney resort the week of January 19th? Also, what kind of conversion would you need for that (i.e. 3 weeks at a 1 bedroom = 1 week at a 3 bedroom) or does it even work that way?

Thanks

Are you talking about Disneyworld in Florida? If so; sorry to say the chances are slim to none. There are just not that many Grand Villas and they rarely come up for trade at all with RCI weeks. PP was kind enough to do a search. Of particular interest is the Exhange Trading Power (see below). The owner of the RCI week will be able to see what the Exchange Trading Power is for their deposited week(s). When exchanging, you can only exchange for a resort with equal or less trading power. Do you know where their home resort is?

Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Orange Lake Resort - West Village (#0670)
Kissimmee, FL 34747, USA
Studio, 2BR and 3BR units available
Exchange Trading Power Range 10 - 14

A grand villa at DVC is next to impossible. They are almost never deposited.

Bonnet Creek has also already come and gone for January 2013, and they never deposit their 3BR or 4BR units either.

Of the available 3BR Options, I would take Orange Lake West over the Legacy resorts. If a 2BR would be sufficient, I would take Vistana.

Thanks
Disney doesn't normally deposit 3 BR units, the inventory for Jan has mostly come and gone and there are only a handful of the resorts listed above I'd enjoy staying at for any length of time and none I'd put into a top tier category. If I search for availability with check in days starting from the Thursday before to the Mon after 19 Jan, I get Gold and Silver crown 23 resorts. You pick up good choices including the Houses at Summer Bay (10 miles out, you'll need a car) and The Fountains (21 Jan) and HI River Island. Of the currently available options, the 3 I mentioned would be my top ones with The Fountains being the first choice if a Monday check in works and River Island the first if you require the 19th. If the larger unit is paramount, the Houses at Summer bay is an intriguing option. You're going to need close to 50K points for a 2 BR and 90K for a 3 BR. For DVC you'll need significantly more points, in the range of 70-85K that time of year for a 2 BR IIRC.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest