Gator grabs 2 year old at Grand Floridian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if anyone thinks these signs would spoil the magic or the theming...then maybe they're TOO much into those things to be realistic or rational and need to reassess their priorities.

People check their brains at the door...that's always a problem.

Let me ask you this: if you live on a lake in New York...or California...a river in Arkansas or Pennsylvania...or a waterway or ocean anywhere...

Do you let you 2 year old wade in "maybe just a foot of water" in the pitch black at 9 pm?

Sound reasonable?...even if supervised?

Or do they come out when the lights go down?

How about an unlit swimming pool?

Just asking...what's the difference hear?

Mickey Mouse...lover of all children. That's it.

Here's my question.

If there were signs about alligators in the water, and this still occurred, what would the stance be????

If they had signage like the two I have posted, then Disney did their part. They warned of alligators in the area. This is also assuming they have more than one. Enough signage where one would have the opportunity to read it before entering the area.

Notice of prior condition.....1 incident in forty years, is not a notice or prior condition. There's a lot of loopholes in Commercial Liability, once you get past the 101.

Oh I know, and if they had to go to court, they'd have lawyers to find them all. But, as others have said, they'll settle quietly out of court.

Other than the no swimming signs?

In Orange County, Florida?

That dog don't hunt.

The reality is a settlement is gonna be reached quickly. That is assured. This will never come close to a robe.
I agree the company will try to settle. A wading vs swimming argument is not in their best interest. It's too tragic. I am sick over this.

Thats what you took from that?

Way to scroll down.

Let me point out the parts you should have paid attention to:

So you do agree that they should have had signage?

You are Disney and spot several alligators in that lagoon on a daily basis.

You decide that a no swimming sign is sufficient of the real danger in and around that lagoon?

Surely you do not.

You only make that call when thinking about your resort appearance and price point, not when thinking about safety.

I grew up on a lake in central Florida. When people visited for the first time, we would always let them know that there are alligators in the lake, and to just be aware.

Am I more courteous than a resort built on customer service? Or was I not trying to sell anything?

Now, try again.....
I addressed that part of your post because it showed the tone of the rest. Do you honestly believe that Disney knew the danger and chose not to address it due to money concerns? Please take the tinfoil hat off. Considering that there has not been a single case of alligator attack in Disney since they opened the gates before this? Is it POSSIBLE that the threat was was so negligible that there was thought to be no need for additional signage? Maybe Disney had more faith in human intelligence than was warranted. Nah, Disney is the EVIL EMPIRE that wants to take all your money and has 0 concern for your safety. Please disregard all the seat belts, height restrictions, roped off areas, etc, those are just for aesthetics. You run the risk of getting struck by a meteor as well. Maybe they should put up signs warning of that as well. THAT is how ridiculous your suggestion is.

Disney is going to settle this matter outside of court. The reality is even on private lakes people have been seen swimming where there are posted showing the Gator danger and that says no swimming, No swimming is no swimming point blank that means to stay out the water. Also, the family was being irresponsible with letting a toddler wade in water after dark, if it wasn't a gator it could have been a drowning that we would be talking about.

Growing up here I have seen it many times that people who are natives here go swimming in lakes which have signings warning of Gator risk and freak out when a Gator takes someone's arm.

Common sense is not so common anymore

I am a natural 'camper' and I research a ton and try to understand the natural and 'unnatural' surroundings and dangers for where we vacation. I am naïve as to how many people don't research every nook and cranny like I do.

I can't wrap my cerebrum around the stance of "assuming" there's nothing in the water without knowing a damn thing about where the water is.

Does everything have to be that convenient?

Here's my question.

If there were signs about alligators in the water, and this still occurred, what would the stance be????

My "guess"? People would be blaming the parent for ignoring the warning signs.
Either way - it's a horrible tragedy, that Disney needs to take reasonable steps for preventing further incidents.

I fell asleep with a heavy heart for this family and woke up thinking about them. My heart truly does break for them and I have and will continue to pray for them.

As far as “fault” … The parents hold some for letting a toddler in that water at night. Disney had signs up that said no swimming. However, some people might not think that means entering the water at all, that wading it okay. I fully think Disney should have had direct signage with a picture and written alligator warning. BUT … with that being said, I do not feel Disney is even mostly at fault. I think it’s an 80/20 split. But none of that even matters. What matters is there is a broken, shattered family that will never be whole again.

Oh I know, and if they had to go to court, they'd have lawyers to find them all. But, as others have said, they'll settle quietly out of court.

Which I've already said. They'll settle. New signage will go up. CMs training around the lagoon will change. BUT there's a lot of defenses in Disney's favor.

The wading vs. no swimming argument makes no sense to me. If I see a no swimming sign, I tend to think going near that body of water in any shape is not good for my health.

That one child out of a million doesnt matter? Its not extreme to think disney should have taken appropriate measures to possibly prevent this
One child DOES matter but its the fact that the chances of this happening were so slim that it was not warranted. Do they need signage not to eat the mint in the toilet? How about signage for a killer bee outbreak? What about meteors? There's a chance that could happen as well and probably just as likely.

People check their brains at the door...that's always a problem.

Let me ask you this: if you live on a lake in New York...or California...a river in Arkansas or Pennsylvania...or a waterway or ocean anywhere...

Do you let you 2 year old wade in "maybe just a foot of water" in the pitch black at 9 pm?

Sound reasonable?...even if supervised?

Or do they come out when the lights go down?

How about an unlit swimming pool?

Just asking...what's the difference hear?

Mickey Mouse...lover of all children. That's it.

Do you know how many people go swimming at night in lakes and rivers? lol. I'm going to guess far more than you think. I can totally see a family in Nebraska, where they might think nothing of wading in the water at night (since there's not many water predators there) who would venture to a place like Disney, and think it's safe to do so. I mean, even if they are aware there are alligators in Florida, I thinking most would never think that there are alligators on Disney property.

Lets do it this way:

Disney notices that there are 4-5 poisonous corral snakes hanging out around the Poly resort. They are attracted to the landscaping. They pull them out each day. They create a team of people dedicated to this. Everyday, they pull at least 2-3 out of the resort. They never tell anyone. One day, someone on a light night stroll is bitten by one. Is this Disney's fault? Since they knew of the nuisance, should they have at least let people know? Let people make a more informed choice on their actions? Give them the chance to be extra vigilant? After all, snakes are native to central Florida. The person was outside. Could have happened anywhere, right?

Also, for Disney's sake, I really hope an internal email isn't brought to light showing concern about the alligators. Or stating that the signage should be changed.

Hey folks, please keep it civil or the mods will be forced to lock this thread. If someone posts something outrageous best to give it the Disney "Let it go" and not comment on it. If you are about to comment on someone else's post, please think twice - are you having a conversation or are you confronting them? Please converse but don't confront. And yes, in tragedy there are many different responses from all of us. Some just want to say words of sympathy while others want to talk about how it happened and what can be done. That's human nature so don't be offended by either please!

15 hours since the attack.

Police have sonar equipment in the lake.

The officers are working on a body recovery now. The hope that the child might still be alive has gone away.

One child DOES matter but its the fact that the chances of this happening were so slim that it was not warranted. Do they need signage not to eat the mint in the toilet? How about signage for a killer bee outbreak? What about meteors? There's a chance that could happen as well and probably just as likely.

If Disney has a team pulling meteors out of the sky everyday, then yes, they need signage.

If Disney has a team pulling killer bees out of the sky everyday, then yes, they need signage.

If Disney has a team dedicated to helping children who have eaten the mints in the toilet ( I really hope that you know they aren't really mints in the traditional sense), then yes, they need signage.

"One employee at the resort who did not want to be identified said in an email "There is such a problem on property with guests feeding the alligators thinking it's cool." There are two at the Buena Vista Palace that people regularly feed from balconies, he said".

I would think this should be illegal if it is not already in FL. Have a hefty fine for anyone caught feeding gators.

Which I've already said. They'll settle. New signage will go up. CMs training around the lagoon will change. BUT there's a lot of defenses in Disney's favor.

The wading vs. no swimming argument makes no sense to me. If I see a no swimming sign, I tend to think going near that body of water in any shape is not good for my health.

right. I agree with those changes. And there's just no good defense as to why these weren't standard operating procedure to begin with? They have a ton of people who manage this. I guess they only concentrated their efforts on the pools.

Re: wading vs swimming. It makes perfect sense. A 2 yr old can wade. A 2 yr old can't swim. Non swimmers wade on the beaches all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest