Fun things to do in Alberta with kids in summer?

isabellea

Combining beach and Disney!
We currently have a DCL cruise booked for this summer but DH is getting nervous. Not afraid of getting COVID-19 but from quarantines and let's be honest, the cost is high with the CAD slipping. So, I'm starting to consider an alternative and decided that if I cannot go on DCL, I want to encourage the Canadian economy and tourism since this year will probably be disastrous. I just looked at flights and direct flights YUL-Vancouver is 600$/person and YUL-Calgary is 442$/person. We've visited BC before (no kids) but never been to AB so I'm really considering it if we decide to cancel our cruise (PIF date is April 15th). What would you recommend in AB? My kids will be 8yo and almost 11yo and we would be there for two weeks (Aug 10-Aug 25). If we change our plans, I need to sell it to my kids since they will very disappointed not going on the Fantasy!

Merci!

Def agree with PP. Drumheller is excellent as is a visit to Dinosaur Provincial Park. Years ago they offered guided day tours of dinosaur bones in situ. Well worth a long weekend trip to Drumheller.

Another possibility is visiting the Columbia Icefield. Shrinking every year. I know Brewsters Coach out of Banff used to have scheduled trips. Could also maybe do your own road trip.

If have extra time around the Calgary area and can take a day trip south, consider Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump UNESCO World Heritage Site and their visitor centre.

I live in Alberta and there is lots of great things to do. We have all the usual (science center in both Calgary and Edmonton), (zoo in Calgary, little one in Edmonton), etc but the 3 amazing things in Alberta for me are the Rocky Mountains, the Prairies and the Red Deer River Valley. The main spots in the mountains would be Banff (close to Calgary) and Jasper (closer to Edmonton). The Prairies are everywhere and of course the Red Deer River valley has Drum Dino museum as mentioned above. Lots of cool parks, etc as well.

I would also echo the recommendation for Drumheller - it would be great for your kids ages. In Calgary, highly, highly recommend the zoo. We just got back from WDW last night and both at Animal Kingdom and at Busch Gardens I made comments to DH that the animal exhibits at the Calgary Zoo were better. Another thing that doesn't always come up is the Skyline Luge Track at Canada Olympic Park. It is SO FUN. If we're in Calgary and it's open we always go (its only open seasonally). You take a chairlift up the hills then drive these little go kart type vehicles down the track - your kids would be old enough to drive their own cars and its very safe in my opinion because of the way the lever works to allow you to roll downhill.

https://www.downhillkarting.ca/
West Edmonton Mall has the amusement park and the waterpark. In past you've been able to get tickets on Airmiles which are very reasonable. There is also a neat ropes course in Edmonton if your family is into that kind of thing.

There is a lot do. I lived in Southern Alberta for years. Last year went back to visit for a family vacation my 10 yr old loved Drumheller. We also went to Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump and the Bellevue Mine in the Crowsnest Pass. Lots to do! We also went to Waterton National Park, which borders on Montana and their Glacier National Park. The Calgary zoo is great and there are lots of things to do in the Calgary area as well.

Thank you all for the recommendations! Any suggestions on local hotels or restaurants we should absolutely try? Unfortunately, I cannot eat any bovine products (beef, veal or dairy) without being extremely sick so I would need some places with non-beef choices. :( I'm more and more excited about visiting AB so if we decide on cruising this summer, I think we'll visit AB next.

Are they into dinosaurs? The Royal Tyrell Museum and bandlands area is phenominal. Drumheller isn't too far of a drive from Calgary, and can be done in a day trip. The West Edmonton Mall has a water park portion too, which could be fun for a day.

They're not huge dinosaur fans but we would definitely visit both the Museum and Drumheller! I will have to look into the badlands... Not sure I know what they are.

I would also echo the recommendation for Drumheller - it would be great for your kids ages. In Calgary, highly, highly recommend the zoo. We just got back from WDW last night and both at Animal Kingdom and at Busch Gardens I made comments to DH that the animal exhibits at the Calgary Zoo were better. Another thing that doesn't always come up is the Skyline Luge Track at Canada Olympic Park. It is SO FUN. If we're in Calgary and it's open we always go (its only open seasonally). You take a chairlift up the hills then drive these little go kart type vehicles down the track - your kids would be old enough to drive their own cars and its very safe in my opinion because of the way the lever works to allow you to roll downhill.

https://www.downhillkarting.ca/
West Edmonton Mall has the amusement park and the waterpark. In past you've been able to get tickets on Airmiles which are very reasonable. There is also a neat ropes course in Edmonton if your family is into that kind of thing.

The zoo is an option as my youngest DD is crazy about animals, especially if they still have the panda exhibit!

How many days would you stay close to Drumheller? Any accommodation recommandation?

That Skyline Luge track looks fun! We have a small mountain karting track at Mont-Tremblant and the kids loved it last summer.

Def agree with PP. Drumheller is excellent as is a visit to Dinosaur Provincial Park. Years ago they offered guided day tours of dinosaur bones in situ. Well worth a long weekend trip to Drumheller.

Another possibility is visiting the Columbia Icefield. Shrinking every year. I know Brewsters Coach out of Banff used to have scheduled trips. Could also maybe do your own road trip.

If have extra time around the Calgary area and can take a day trip south, consider Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump UNESCO World Heritage Site and their visitor centre.

Thanks for reminding me there are glaciers in AB. Columbia Icefield is now on the list and thank you for the tour recommandation. I will check them out.

I live in Alberta and there is lots of great things to do. We have all the usual (science center in both Calgary and Edmonton), (zoo in Calgary, little one in Edmonton), etc but the 3 amazing things in Alberta for me are the Rocky Mountains, the Prairies and the Red Deer River Valley. The main spots in the mountains would be Banff (close to Calgary) and Jasper (closer to Edmonton). The Prairies are everywhere and of course the Red Deer River valley has Drum Dino museum as mentioned above. Lots of cool parks, etc as well.

I have a friend from elementary school living in Jasper so I was thinking on stopping there if we decide to go to Edmonton.

Any recommandation on a tour company for Banff? I would like do some hiking or horseriding in the Rockies but would prefer to do it with a local business.

There is a lot do. I lived in Southern Alberta for years. Last year went back to visit for a family vacation my 10 yr old loved Drumheller. We also went to Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump and the Bellevue Mine in the Crowsnest Pass. Lots to do! We also went to Waterton National Park, which borders on Montana and their Glacier National Park. The Calgary zoo is great and there are lots of things to do in the Calgary area as well.

Never heard of Head Smashed, Bellevue Mine and Waterton National Park. I will definitely look into them! Would it worth it to cross the border to Montana to visit Glacier NP?

@isabellea There is a mountain highway called the Going to the Sun Highway that goes through the mountains and Glacier National Park. We were too busy to go last year and I still kind of regret it. It is a beautiful drive. Look it up, you may want to do it, but if you do Jasper or Banff you may already be "mountain-ed" out.

When we were in Banff we did a boat/raft tour it was incredible . I’ll look and see if I can find the name . We stayed in Canmore . The hot springs were a fun way to start the day . Downtown Banff was so quaint and we went for lunch and ice cream and it was so relaxed.
Drumheller was cool. We did a Dino dig through the museum and I only have one Dino lover but all the Kids loved the scenery/badlands. Incredible pics .

We went for stampede not sure if that is an option for you . Loved Calgary , beautiful city and such friendly people .
Strongly recommend them zoo it was incredible as other posters have said.
We didn’t travel to Edm it seemed personally a long way to go for a mall ha even with a waterpark and amusements but that’s just us
Loved our trip and kids ask frequently to go back.

Heritage Park right in Calgary is much loved in my family as is the zoo (though I don’t agree that the animal exhibits are in any way better than AK). I’d probably stay downtown at least part of the time and visit the Calgary tower - maybe do lunch at Sky 360. Too bad you’ll miss the Calgary Stampede completely but there are local rodeos almost every weekend that are relatively cheap (certainly cheaper than Stampede) and feature many of the same Canadian athletes that compete at Stampede.

Thank you all for the recommendations! Any suggestions on local hotels or restaurants we should absolutely try? Unfortunately, I cannot eat any bovine products (beef, veal or dairy) without being extremely sick so I would need some places with non-beef choices. :( I'm more and more excited about visiting AB so if we decide on cruising this summer, I think we'll visit AB next.

I had been to Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise 3 years ago.
It sits right beside the lake. The view of Lake Louise is phenomenal. The hotel is beautiful as well. There are some watercraft for rental as well.
But it was extremely busy when I was there.

I don't have any suggestions for hotels, we stay with family on winter/short visits. Last summer we took our travel trailer and camped everywhere.
Over a decade ago we stayed at the Fairmont in Canmore, it was a good stay.

I really like the Sheraton Cavalier in Calgary. I find it a convenient location to access a lot of what we like to do in the city and they have a great indoor waterpark. Its near the airport too.

You could drive through the park and see both Banff and Jasper. There are lots of little things to see along the way. Many little lookout points with different varying water falls, many animal sightings, the Columbia Ice Fields, many different hiking trails, white water rafting. So many different things to do in the parks. There are many different hot springs to see in both Banff and Jasper. Lodging in either of the parks is very expensive...but if you go just outside the parks, you can find many different ways to stay. Once you get to Jasper...then you can head to Edmonton. There are lots of little nuggets in Both Calgary and Edmonton...many of them already mentioned here. We always try to do one new thing when we visit the dd in the Calgary area.

If you watch the Canadian version of diners, drive ins and dives...there are a few of them featured on the show in Calgary. Many of the places in Calgary are great with dietary restrictions. The smaller the place, the better we find they are with things like that :mickeybar Have fun planning...there are many many different things you can do!

I had been to Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise 3 years ago.
It sits right beside the lake. The view of Lake Louise is phenomenal. The hotel is beautiful as well. There are some watercraft for rental as well.
But it was extremely busy when I was there.

I second the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise! I highly recommend the Voyageur Canoe Experience through the hotel. And if you book this experience you can park at the hotel too - which is a huge perk because during the summer it gets so busy there that some people have to park quite far away and then shuttle to the lake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter