Free Parking with Handicap Placard?

Disney is being very nice to not charge you at the resorts or parks.

WDW only waives the parking fee at resorts. HA parking at the theme parks is charged the same as everyone else. There is free parking at Disney Springs for anyone - HA or not; it’s only the “preferred lots” and valet that charge (anyone).

Last edited:
WDW only waives the parking fee at resorts. HA parking at the theme parks is charged the same as everyone else. There is fee parking at Disney Springs for anyone - HA or not; it’s only the “preferred lots” and valet that charge (anyone).

That's right, for some reason I was thinking that someone posted that they got free parking at the parks with HA tag without being a resort guest. I take care of my grandma and drive her around and she does have a HA tag for the car. I guess I never even thought to expect free parking from places that charge others.

I tried to find the law that says that places can not charge for handicapped spots or that they should get free valet, and I could not find it. Everything comes up that Disney is one of the few places that does not charge for those with the placard. The law varies from place to place but most say that even though the cities allow you to park for free in metered areas, private businesses are allowed to charge you to park in a HA spot. Disney is being very nice to not charge you at the resorts or parks.

My guess, and it’s just that, a guess, is that Disney offers free handicapped surface parking at their hotels because they made a calculation that foregoing that income would be better than the onslaught of free valet used by placard holders if they charged for surface parking.

WDW only waives the parking fee at resorts. HA parking at the theme parks is charged the same as everyone else. There is fee parking at Disney Springs for anyone - HA or not; it’s only the “preferred lots” and valet that charge (anyone).

Is the Lime garage still free parking?

I know what you are saying, but I was more commenting on the irony of how handicapped spots are supposed to be the "closest" so a person does not have to travel far. But then, at a theme park, you are travelling much more during your time there that it makes the distance from the parking spot to the "door" negligible. But everyone wants one of these coveted handicapped parking spots and get angry if they are all gone. I think that they should have a separate area for those who have wheelchairs, and ECVs that need to be unloaded and so they actually have a spot if needed. And then have an area for the other tagged cars. Basically make sure priority is given to those with a device for them to be able to unload them safely without the chance that the spaces are all taken by just anyone who has a placard. I also think that in the placard area should be close to the trams so people don't have that far to walk. It is just too easy for people to get the handicapped placards and the handicapped lots get filled with maybe those who could actually park a bit further out and still be fine, leaving the spots for those who truly need them. To be clear, I am talking about amusement parks that you are going to be mobile for hours. Also, I don't think that just because someone has a placard that they should receive free parking, only because these really are no indication of someone truly having any kind of disability. You can go to your doctor and tell them that your knee is hurting and would love on of those placards so you don't have to walk far and you can get one. That does not make a person "disabled" just because you have knee pain. I mean, I can do that. I am on my feet all day at work and am in pain daily. My knee cap has actually popped out of place before, that was shocking. But that does not make me "disabled" just in pain. I am saying that if a person does not have a mobility device and plan on walking all day in the park anyway, do they truly need the handicapped spot, or could they leave those who truly do and take the tram? Obviously, I am not talking about you personally.

I am only 63 years old and have a handicapped placard. I cannot walk long distances or stand for long periods of time, due to a car accident I was in and I also have RA. Looking at me, you would think I am fine and "why does SHE have handicapped access?". I don't care about paying for parking, more than happy to but i truly have to strongly disagree with you that it is so easy to get a placard. Here in Massachusetts, I had to provide proof of my car accident, written proof from my rhuematologist of my condition and it took almost a YEAR to get my placard, which, by the way, is only good for 2 years and then I need to reapply.
Walk in my shoes....you never know "those you truly need the handicapped spot".
Sorry for my rant, but you hit one of my still existent RA nerves.

I am only 63 years old and have a handicapped placard. I cannot walk long distances or stand for long periods of time, due to a car accident I was in and I also have RA. Looking at me, you would think I am fine and "why does SHE have handicapped access?". I don't care about paying for parking, more than happy to but i truly have to strongly disagree with you that it is so easy to get a placard. Here in Massachusetts, I had to provide proof of my car accident, written proof from my rhuematologist of my condition and it took almost a YEAR to get my placard, which, by the way, is only good for 2 years and then I need to reapply.
Luckily in California, once you have it, you can renew, but I do believe every so often a doctor has to sign off on the renewal. This is providing that it is a permanent disability of course. But really there needs to be a better balance between making sure the system isn't being abused and making sure those that need the placards can get them in all states, as even in California it is very hard to get one in the first place.

Not where I live. The doctor just has to fill out a form and you take it to the DMV. No matter where you go, grocery store, mall, etc, all of the HA spots are taken. I am sure that there are plenty who need it and I was not talking about those people. Just the ones that go to the doctor and say that they have "pain" and get one just to have one. That is on those people and they have to live with themselves. Those people are just as bad as the ones that claim that their dogs are service dogs so they don't have to pay their pet fee at their apartment. I don't know why you would feel offended by my post since you legitimately need one.

Some states are very lax about who can get a placard. In Arkansas the form lists "uses a cane" as a reason. Now there are people who use a cane who cannot walk very far - but not all do. In Louisiana I was only allowed to get a temporary placard good for a year even though I have a nerve disorder similar to MS and cannot walk more than a few yards with a walker. I did not qualify for a permanent plate even though my disability is permanent.

Last edited:
I am sure that there are plenty who need it and I was not talking about those people. Just the ones that go to the doctor and say that they have "pain" and get one just to have one.

in Masssacchusetts, where it's a bit less easy to get a placard (warning, slightly off-topic rant), one of my neighbors with one, walks the track at the old high school a few times a week.

Not where I live. The doctor just has to fill out a form and you take it to the DMV. No matter where you go, grocery store, mall, etc, all of the HA spots are taken. I am sure that there are plenty who need it and I was not talking about those people. Just the ones that go to the doctor and say that they have "pain" and get one just to have one. That is on those people and they have to live with themselves. Those people are just as bad as the ones that claim that their dogs are service dogs so they don't have to pay their pet fee at their apartment. I don't know why you would feel offended by my post since you legitimately need one.
I guess i took some offense because it is sometimes very difficult to know when there is a legitimate need or not. That's all. I actually had a policeman ask to see my placard (at the grocery store) to check out my picture because he "was sure that I was using someone's placard". Part of me was glad that he was doing what he was doing! Sorry for my sensitivity!!

I guess i took some offense because it is sometimes very difficult to know when there is a legitimate need or not. That's all. I actually had a policeman ask to see my placard (at the grocery store) to check out my picture because he "was sure that I was using someone's placard". Part of me was glad that he was doing what he was doing! Sorry for my sensitivity!!

NP, I get it. It is hard to actually need a service and feel like others are judging. This would not be an issue if there were not so many dishonest people.

At the hospital where I work I saw in someone’s record that they had a handicap placard prescription because of hemorrhoids.

So bottom line - no opinions, just the facts.
Is there free parking for handicap placard holders at the resort and/or at the parks (non-resort guest)?

Is there free parking for handicap placard holders at the resort and/or at the parks (non-resort guest)?

Handicapped with placards park free at resorts.

Handicapped with placards pay to park at the parks, unless they are staying at a Disney resort hotel.

Free parking at the parks is based on resort stay, not handicapped placard.

At the parks, there is not, unless you are:
  • Annual Pass Holder
  • Resort Guest
  • Cast Member
At the resorts, all non resort guests get free parking for dining at the resorts, there is usually a time limit on this though. As to if you would get free valet parking at the resorts when you are not a resort Guest, but dining there, that gets a little trickier to answer and it is a solid, it depends.

As to if you would get free valet parking at the resorts when you are not a resort Guest, but dining there, that gets a little trickier to answer and it is a solid, it depends

No, valet parking at the resorts which offer valet, is free to any guest with a valid HA tag. No requirement to be a resort guest. Just please remember to tip.

Overnight parking fee at resorts is waived with valid HA tag. Daytime parking is free to all guests, though may be a limited period of time (for ADRs), not all day. Access to resort parking may be limited at resorts near parks at peak times of year.

As a PP noted above, a parking fee is charged at the theme parks to everyone unless someone in the vehicle has an AP or is an on-site resort guest.

Enjoy your vacation!

I downloaded this from the WDW website:
https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...ped-parking-pass-pay-overnight-resort-369967/
"Luckily, for Guests with a valid disability parking permit, parking at the Walt Disney World Resort Hotels and the Theme Parks is complimentary. "

Is this true? I have had a Handicap Placard for years and have always paid for parking. I don't put the Placard on my dash until I park.
I asked today at Animal Kingdom parking and the answer is no parking is not free at parks with handicap placard. We have annual pass so parking is free for us anyway.

Is there a law that says that handicapped spots need to be a certain distance from the "entrance". I put entrance in quotes because we are talking about a mall and the store someone wants to go to could be all the way on the other side anyway. I would imagine that those who need assistance with walking any kind of distance already have their own mobility device. If you have concerns about the distance and can not make it from the HA spot to where you need to go, I am sure that if you contacted Disney then they can give you more options.

The number of accessible parking spaces must comply with the parking requirements in s. 208 of the standards and the following:
(a) There must be one accessible parking space in the immediate vicinity of a publicly owned or leased building that houses a governmental entity or a political subdivision, including, but not limited to, state office buildings and courthouses, if parking for the public is not provided on the premises of the building.
(b) There must be one accessible parking space for each 150 metered on-street parking spaces provided by state agencies and political subdivisions.
(c) The number of parking spaces for persons who have disabilities must be increased on the basis of demonstrated and documented need.
(5) Accessible perpendicular and diagonal accessible parking spaces and loading zones must be designed and located to conform to ss. 502 and 503 of the standards.
(a) All spaces must be located on an accessible route that is at least 44 inches wide so that users are not compelled to walk or wheel behind parked vehicles except behind his or her own vehicle.
(b) If there are multiple entrances or multiple retail stores, the parking spaces must be dispersed to provide parking at the nearest accessible entrance. If a theme park or an entertainment complex as defined in s. 509.013(9) provides parking in several lots or areas from which access to the theme park or entertainment complex is provided, a single lot or area may be designated for parking by persons who have disabilities, if the lot or area is located on the shortest accessible route to an accessible entrance to the theme park or entertainment complex or to transportation to such an accessible entrance.
(c)1. Each parking space must be at least 12 feet wide. Parking access aisles must be at least 5 feet wide and must be part of an accessible route to the building or facility entrance. The access aisle must be striped diagonally to designate it as a no-parking zone.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...te&URL=0500-0599/0553/Sections/0553.5041.html

I'll ask my spouse when he gets home what rule applies to businesses as well. He's a designer and has made about a bazillion parking lot plans. He comments everytime we go somewhere and the statutes aren't followed. (BTW, in FL, all those trees in/around parking lots? A statute.) He's worse with curbs though. Lord help the ears on the person riding with DH if/when he spots a curb that doesn't meet guidelines.

The number of accessible parking spaces must comply with the parking requirements in s. 208 of the standards and the following:
(a) There must be one accessible parking space in the immediate vicinity of a publicly owned or leased building that houses a governmental entity or a political subdivision, including, but not limited to, state office buildings and courthouses, if parking for the public is not provided on the premises of the building.
(b) There must be one accessible parking space for each 150 metered on-street parking spaces provided by state agencies and political subdivisions.
(c) The number of parking spaces for persons who have disabilities must be increased on the basis of demonstrated and documented need.
(5) Accessible perpendicular and diagonal accessible parking spaces and loading zones must be designed and located to conform to ss. 502 and 503 of the standards.
(a) All spaces must be located on an accessible route that is at least 44 inches wide so that users are not compelled to walk or wheel behind parked vehicles except behind his or her own vehicle.
(b) If there are multiple entrances or multiple retail stores, the parking spaces must be dispersed to provide parking at the nearest accessible entrance. If a theme park or an entertainment complex as defined in s. 509.013(9) provides parking in several lots or areas from which access to the theme park or entertainment complex is provided, a single lot or area may be designated for parking by persons who have disabilities, if the lot or area is located on the shortest accessible route to an accessible entrance to the theme park or entertainment complex or to transportation to such an accessible entrance.
(c)1. Each parking space must be at least 12 feet wide. Parking access aisles must be at least 5 feet wide and must be part of an accessible route to the building or facility entrance. The access aisle must be striped diagonally to designate it as a no-parking zone.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...te&URL=0500-0599/0553/Sections/0553.5041.html

I'll ask my spouse when he gets home what rule applies to businesses as well. He's a designer and has made about a bazillion parking lot plans. He comments everytime we go somewhere and the statutes aren't followed. (BTW, in FL, all those trees in/around parking lots? A statute.) He's worse with curbs though. Lord help the ears on the person riding with DH if/when he spots a curb that doesn't meet guidelines.

So it looks like there is no minimum or maximum distance from the door. I guess that would be to hard to do since every place is set up different. It is always a good idea for a person to research where the HA parking is when they go somewhere and plan accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter