Free Parking with Handicap Placard?

I downloaded this from the WDW website:
https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...ped-parking-pass-pay-overnight-resort-369967/
"Luckily, for Guests with a valid disability parking permit, parking at the Walt Disney World Resort Hotels and the Theme Parks is complimentary. "

Is this true? I have had a Handicap Placard for years and have always paid for parking. I don't put the Placard on my dash until I park.
Once again the Disney Mom's Panel is wrong. Parking at the Theme parks is NOT free with a Handicapped placard. Parking at the WDW resorts is free however.

No, that is not accurate.

Overnight guests staying at an onsite resort have been charged a nightly parking fee for about a year. That fee is waived if the guest has HA plates or hangtag.

Theme park parking is complimentary for guests with an AP or guests staying at an onsite resort. Guests who don’t fit either of those categories are charged at the parks, even with an HA plate or hangtag.

Enjoy your vacation!

Once again the Disney Mom's Panel is wrong. Parking at the Theme parks is NOT free with a Handicapped placard. Parking at the WDW resorts is free however.

No, that is not accurate.

Overnight guests staying at an onsite resort have been charged a nightly parking fee for about a year. That fee is waived if the guest has HA plates or hangtag.

Theme park parking is complimentary for guests with an AP or guests staying at an onsite resort. Guests who don’t fit either of those categories are charged at the parks, even with an HA plate or hangtag.

Enjoy your vacation!

So I emailed Disability Services Disney with the question on Free Parking with Handicap Placard and here is the reply I got:
Uma Siegel (Disney)

Mar 8, 6:26 PM EST

Dear Ken,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

You may be happy to learn that parking is complimentary for Guests with a disability. You are also correct that a valid disability parking permit must be presented to parking attendants upon arrival.

We hope this information is helpful!

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling us at 407-W-DISNEY (407-934-7639) or by chatting with us in the Help Center of the Walt Disney World® website (only available on the US site). Cast Members will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
Uma Siegel
eCommerce Sales and Service Team

So I have been paying for Free Parking for the last 8 years.

This used to be true at some other theme parks, but never at Disney, as others have said, at the resorts yes, at the parks no, unless you qualify for free parking some other way.

I will get to try this out in November. I will bring a copy of the email with me.

I will get to try this out in November. I will bring a copy of the email with me.
It's a good idea to bring that; however who knows, policy may change between now and then :rolleyes1
Good luck though!

I would ask them specifically is parking is free at the parks and not the hotel because the answer you got does not say the parks or hotels so if you show this to the parking CM they are likely to say this is just for hotel.

Did your question specify theme park parking for someone not staying onsite (it is always free for onsite guests)?

I would ask them specifically is parking is free at the parks and not the hotel because the answer you got does not say the parks or hotels so if you show this to the parking CM they are likely to say this is just for hotel.

Did your question specify theme park parking for someone not staying onsite (it is always free for onsite guests)?

After receiving the first email, I emailed them back:
Ken
Mar 8, 6:42 PM EST

And that includes the theme parks also?
Ken

They replied:
Ethel Hodapp (Disney)

Mar 8, 10:58 PM EST

Dear Ken,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort! Yes, it does include the Theme Parks.

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling us at 407-W-DISNEY (407-934-7639) or by chatting with us in the Help Center of the Walt Disney World® website (only available on the US site). Cast Members will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Ethel Hodapp

Why do people with certain disabilities that grant them an HC plate/tag get free parking but others don't? What is it about the HC tag that makes it so they need to park for free? This just doesn't make sense - I know WDW can do it legally because the placard needs to be shown, but it really doesn't seem fair, IMO.

I don't know why they offer free to HC plate/tag. I appreciate just getting parking closer to the entrance. With the high cost of Disney, if they offer it, I'll take it. Then I could afford to buy a Mickey Ice cream Bar for my Wife and I. I would sure like to hear from someone who has tried this.

Why do people with certain disabilities that grant them an HC plate/tag get free parking but others don't? What is it about the HC tag that makes it so they need to park for free? This just doesn't make sense - I know WDW can do it legally because the placard needs to be shown, but it really doesn't seem fair, IMO.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Pretty much anyone over a certain age can get a placard. My dad got one and he is physically fit but "older". And he can more then afford to pay for parking. I think that they should pay at the resorts too. If you can afford a trip to WDW, you can afford to pay all of the charges that everyone else does. Other then for those with wheelchair vans, having handicapped parking at a theme park is kind of funny anyway. You are walking all day at the parks but you cant walk to the entrance. From what I heard, the handicapped parking spots are actually farther to walk then if you rode the tram.

After receiving the first email, I emailed them back:
Ken
Mar 8, 6:42 PM EST

And that includes the theme parks also?
Ken

They replied:
Ethel Hodapp (Disney)

Mar 8, 10:58 PM EST

Dear Ken,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort! Yes, it does include the Theme Parks.

Sincerely,

Ethel Hodapp

Even though you got that answer, I would not count on it being correct.
I’ve never heard reports of anyone not being charged for parking at the parks by showing a handicapped parking permit.
I have seen reports of people who showed their handicapped parking permit, asked at the parking kiosk if they got free parking and were told no.
And, we have our daughter’s handicapped parking permit clearly visible when we pull up to the kiosk and are always asked for our Magicband or other way to pay (because we are staying on site, we get free parking at the parks).

Parking is free at the parks for anyone staying at one of the Disney owned resorts or with an annual pass (I don’t know if all types of annual pass qualify - at one point, it was just certain levels of AP).
There is a daily resort parking fee for guests to park at their resort hotel. Apparently, Disney chose to waive that for guests who show a handicapped parking permit. I do not know why.
The usual valet parking charge is waived for guests with a handicapped parking permit, although tips are still appreciated. That is actually fairly common at other places that offer valet parking.
The reasons are that most usually do not have enough close by handicapped parking spaces and safety; since the entrançe area is very busy with cars pulling in and out, it’s safer to offer valet parking to get guests out of the traffic if their disabilities affect navigating/moving quickly.

Let us know after a trip, please. Real experience will be the key here for a correct, good answer.

Policies change; so, maybe, just maybe, this may be actually tre.

I would be prepared for the parking people to tell you that you need to pay for parking and that to go to GR to aks if it really is free just a guess) but I can not see then let everyone that has a handicap tag park for free Disney is in the business of making money and they are losing a lot if they did

The usual valet parking charge is waived for guests with a handicapped parking permit, although tips are still appreciated. That is actually fairly common at other places that offer valet parking.

Unfortunately this doesn't apply at DS (unless they've changed the rules in the last several months). When we went, we had to pay, even though we asked about the handicapped placard and free valet parking.

It boils down to when a company is allowed to ask for proof of a disability.

Basically, if the accommodations required only provide equal access and have no monetary value, they are not allowed to ask for proof; however, if there is a monetary value, then a company can require proof, some examples of items that would provide monetary value and thus proof could be required:
  • Free or discounted parking when everyone else says for parking
  • Discounted admission (also applies to companion passes for passholders, even though they have to pay full price for them, as there is a monetary value to having a pass that says it is valid for anyone as long as they are accompanying the disabled person and there are requirements for being able to get that, but it does exist)
  • Free/Discounted bus fares
There are many others, but those are a few examples and a disabled placards is a form of proof of disability when it comes to parking.

That being said, I think the CM that sent the email is mistaken, as I have never heard that parking is free at the theme parks for those with placards.

As to why it is free at the resorts, my ubdeunderstan is Disney is doing this because it will reduce the strain on the buses. They feel that if they charge those that are disabled for parking, many will find other ways to get to the resorts and there will be even more people in wheelchairs and ECVs using the buses when they can reduce this with simply providing free parking.

Now I think all hotels should be required to provide free parking for a reasonable number of cars based on the number of guests in a room, but that is a different story.

Unfortunately this doesn't apply at DS (unless they've changed the rules in the last several months). When we went, we had to pay, even though we asked about the handicapped placard and free valet parking.
I believe it applies at all of the hotels though, but really DS should really do it as well, but I dont knowthe official policy there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter