For the 1st time in forever, I don't own a diesel pickup

Have you and DW negotiated yet on who gets which work-from-home location if you long stay some place this coming winter? Is that still the plan?

Also, since the truck is gone from the family fleet, do you have another vehicle that can be towed behind?
Ed,

It looks like I will be expected to be back on campus in the up coming months (much before the announced "4th quarter" date when returns would start.) Long story, but leadership positions are expected to be "visible". Donna has been told she will likely be permanently work from home. I may see if there is an opportunity to spend next winter working remotely since we have proven it can work, but it is too soon to start that conversation.

I'm looking for an open trailer now to put one of our cars on. All my remaining vehicles are all wheel drive or rear wheel, so that rules out flat towing or a dolly. I have new tires for the coach lined up. It has the original tires, date code 0711. After that outlay, I'll seriously look for a trailer. Trying to keep it basic and cheap, but all I can find are new ones for over $3,000. In the mean time, I can rent a U-Haul open trailer for $54/day.

j

Used open trailers are not common, but a good solid steel 20' deck should run you 3k, and less for others. I will keep an eye and ear open this way for anything that may pop up thats not an an unreasonable distance for you got get it if the prices are right.

One of the biggest headaches I had with the motorhome was keeping a proper toad capable car. I could use my open race trailer, but it wasn't always convenient in some campgrounds as they wanted it parked off the site, some even required that and charged money per day for storage. Then I bought a subaru that was flat towable and that was awesome, until someone totaled it while I was parked legally on street near annapolis.

With tires that old, good move to replace them. Not sure your planned source, I called my 3 local commercial tire guys and get a great deal including mounting and bead balancing back in the day. Hope you can do the same.

Not sure your planned source, I called my 3 local commercial tire guys and get a great deal including mounting and bead balancing back in the day. Hope you can do the same.
I was going to get tires online. The T/A truck stop near me said they would mount them for $44/tire. My local tire guy who I have used for years, recommended a place in St Louis. They could get the same tire installed for the same price as the online- T/A option, so I'm going with them.

A good looking 18ft car hauler just popped up on Facebook Market place 2 hours for a decent price. Waiting to get a message back now.

j

Congrats on the excellent looking Class A. Really like the exterior color scheme; it would look great here in Tallahassee at a Seminole game next season. Definitely envious.

Picked up a trailer to bring a car along. Pretty decent trailer for not a lot of money. New deck boards, new lights and wiring and decent tires. It is plenty wide enough for the RS and just wide enough for the Explorer. The trailer is 7 X 18. Almost long enough to fit a golf cart if I bring the RS.

20210324_145859_copy_2016x1134.jpg

20210324_145959_copy_2016x1134.jpg

I was looking for a dove tail to make it easier to get the RS on without dragging the front splitter, but I have a pretty big dip at the edge of the driveway and I remembered the old trailer we had for the race team would drag. This one just clears, so I'll deal with getting the car on and off.

Now I just have to get the tires on the coach replaced. That may wait for a few weeks.

j

Almost long enough to fit a golf cart if I bring the RS.
I think you could easily figure out how to rig some ratchet straps to the ramps so the car or the cart are dangling on the ramps and the other counter balances...

Dad had a dove tail trailer and we put a firetruck on it. The firetruck was too long for the ramps to lay back on the trailer. We bought a piece of scrap metal to thread in the ramps and chained them up and they dangled the whole way home. Because the "trailer" was under the truck he didn't worry about an over length load, though the rear bumper of the fire truck was probably 10' from the rear bumper of the trailer. Ah, the old days.

I bet you could avoid scraping with and extension and raise the built in load rails. I used a 2x12 and cut it into sections about 4', 3', 2', 1' and stacked it like a hill leaving only a 2" offset leaving a lip for the ramp. I could them adjust my load angle of the built in ramp to suite my needs. The 4' piece was usually not screwed to the rest as I used it for the golf cart to just make the load ramps narrower.

James,

That is what the guys at the track used to do. I have a bunch of 2 X 10s from an old deck. I'd just have to rig up some pins to put them on the trailer deck to take along. I'm not to worried about it. I suspect if DW has her way, we will be taking the Explorer more than the RS.

j

Made a stop by the Freightliner store today. They had DEF (2 1/2 gallons) for $8.99. It us $15 @WalMart.

This is certainly the biggest oil filter I have ever installed (tall one on left). It holds a gallon of oil. The other 2 are fuel filters. $84 all in. Much better than I was expecting.

20210325_193136_copy_2016x1134.jpg

j

Good looking rig Jim. Look forward to seeing it and meeting in person at the Dismeet.

Steve

Ahh yes, and fun putting nearly 4 quarts into it and then install it. plus another 7 gallons into the fill tube. At least its 1 year or 25k intervals?

Does it have a coolant filter and when was the last time it was changed?

Does it have a coolant filter and when was the last time it was changed?
It should have a coolant filter, but it wasn't listed in the Cummins manual. The coach only has 18,000 miles on it and all the filters have been changed, so I suspect it has been serviced, but I figured I would start fresh. The oil is pretty dark and since it has sat, I don't know what shape the fuel filters are in.

j

Congrats on the new wheels! That is a very sharp rig, the Discovery line is a solid one and a good balance of features and value. I looked at one two years ago, had the owner been open to negotiating I think it would have been our newest RV. Sadly her husband had passed and she thought it was worth a far more then it really was.

After a couple trailers then a 5er Toy Hauler we switch to a Class A and never looked back, we've had it nearly 15 years with no regrets. I love driving pass rest stops, before that I had to map them out since my wonderful wife likes to visit them often.

Enjoy!

This is certainly the biggest oil filter I have ever installed (tall one on left). It holds a gallon of oil.
That's definitely not the filter you want to bobble when you are taking it off. I have dropped many a filter (bit of a butter fingers BUT may have started an oil change or ten a little too soon with a hot engine), but the average engine's filter is what, 3/4 of a quart? DW would DDT me into the pavement if I splashed a gallon of oil on the driveway.

giphy-downsized.gif

Did a little trial fit today. It took 4 boards under the ramps and one on top to get the RS splitter to clear everything, but it is on and fits great. Almost ready for the DIS Meet in the Mountains.

I will have to hitch everything up in the street or a parking lot. The dip at the end of the drive way is too much to pull the trailer out without the foot dragging.

20210330_190608_copy_2304x1296.jpg

20210330_190637_copy_2304x1296.jpg

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter