Flying Fish with toddler

It's Disney - children come first.

But I'll add, when my otherwise well-behaved child was a toddler dining at Disney, she was almost perfect at ruining each and every opportunity we created for a good meal.

As to the other patrons - they'll survive interacting with people of all ages.

Best advice - arrive with a big bag containing a sense of humor!!

No kids certainly do not come first.

No children do not come first! Especially in a signature restaurant. Rude behavior is not acceptable whether it be child or adult.

I stick by well behaved children are welcome everywhere

If a child cannot handle a signature dining experience then they should dine in a more appropriate venue
I've said it time and again - it's not the children I worry about, it's the so-called adults.

How about you define RUDE?

The nuance of what is appropriate versus rude is endless.

Should children be denied being able to travel on trains & airplanes or just the rude ones? Should the limitation be no children in 1st-Class?

But what to do with rude adults?

Disney repeatedly reminds adults about what is or is not appropriate dining room attire, and yet, there are countless threads on these Boards with adults attempting to figure out how to 'break those rules'. Should Disney enforce the dress code at Disney Signatures if Signatures are to actually be, well, Signature experiences?

Is it rude when people wear Park clothes to a Signature dining room and diminish the fine dining ambiance? Should people in tshirts (because they willfully ignored the written policy) be refused service at Disney Signatures any more than your determination about what is or is not a well-behaved child?

So let's play by your rule - behavior. Was it OK, in your view, for the child (I witnessed) at CA Grill to be sleeping on the floor of the restaurant in anticipation of late-starting fireworks? Is that well-behaved child impacting my Signature meal any more than a toddler repeatedly dropping their spoon on the floor? Was it appropriate or rude of the adults to drag their child out past their bedtime (with woobie & pillow) to enjoy some fireworks?

Similarly, should people who wear too much perfume or cologne be refused service at restaurants - their smell is offensive to those of us trying to enjoy a Signature meal. How about smokers who don't wash before returning to the dining room? How about the adult who is too vain to wear a hearing aid and shouts for all the dining room to hear? How about large groups - they make more noise than a couple trying to celebrate with a quiet meal? Should the Politeness Police have them removed for being rude to the other patrons for nothing more than not meeting your expectation(s)?

The RUDEST experiences I have ever witnessed at the thousands of meals I have had inside a restaurant were caused by adults. I expect children to be children, on the other hand, I have had more experiences negatively impacted by adults - and rude adults are allowed to eat.

Last edited:
Agreed! All visitors to Disney are equal. An adult only party is JUST as important as a party with children.

If a child is not behaving, they need to be removed. No excuses.
Should adults misbehaving be removed from restaurants?

I suggest that you review the Disney dress code policy at Signatures before you answer....should guests in tshirts be refused service at Signatures for violating this policy?

Should adults misbehaving be removed from restaurants?

I suggest that you review the Disney dress code policy at Signatures before you answer....should guests in tshirts be refused service at Signatures for violating this policy?
Yes. Adults who are yelling, screaming, running around the restaurant, playing on an ipad at full volume, standing on their chairs and other things I have seen so called parents allow their kids to do at Disney restaurant should be removed from the restaurant as well. If you can't behave for the length of the meal, then you should not be allowed to be disruptive to other guests no matter what your age is. I am not talking about a single scream or too loud laugh from an excited child, but the adults with the child need to then remind the child that they are not to do that.

And I believe that if you can't follow the dress code policy you should not be allowed in. I also make sure I dress correctly for a signature meal. I have been to many so I don't need to review the policy (Jiko and Flying Fish being my 2 favorite) thank you very much. Sadly Disney doesn't follow their own rules on this so I really have no "say" in it.

I've said it time and again - it's not the children I worry about, it's the so-called adults.

How about you define RUDE?

The nuance of what is appropriate versus rude is endless.

Should children be denied being able to travel on trains & airplanes or just the rude ones? Should the limitation be no children in 1st-Class?

But what to do with rude adults?

Disney repeatedly reminds adults about what is or is not appropriate dining room attire, and yet, there are countless threads on these Boards with adults attempting to figure out how to 'break those rules'. Should Disney enforce the dress code at Disney Signatures if Signatures are to actually be, well, Signature experiences?

Is it rude when people wear Park clothes to a Signature dining room and diminish the fine dining ambiance? Should people in tshirts (because they willfully ignored the written policy) be refused service at Disney Signatures any more than your determination about what is or is not a well-behaved child?

So let's play by your rule - behavior. Was it OK, in your view, for the child (I witnessed) at CA Grill to be sleeping on the floor of the restaurant in anticipation of late-starting fireworks? Is that well-behaved child impacting my Signature meal any more than a toddler repeatedly dropping their spoon on the floor? Was it appropriate or rude of the adults to drag their child out past their bedtime (with woobie & pillow) to enjoy some fireworks?

Similarly, should people who wear too much perfume or cologne be refused service at restaurants - their smell is offensive to those of us trying to enjoy a Signature meal. How about smokers who don't wash before returning to the dining room? How about the adult who is too vain to wear a hearing aid and shouts for all the dining room to hear? How about large groups - they make more noise than a couple trying to celebrate with a quiet meal? Should the Politeness Police have them removed for being rude to the other patrons for nothing more than not meeting your expectation(s)?

The RUDEST experiences I have ever witnessed at the thousands of meals I have had inside a restaurant were caused by adults. I expect children to be children, on the other hand, I have had more experiences negatively impacted by adults - and rude adults are allowed to eat.

Aside from the fact that your post here reduces to the justification of wrong behavior by the wrong behavior of others, I'll provide some much needed clarification.

1- Inappropriate behavior at Disney Signatures is the exception, as opposed to the rule. The idea that said behaviors are not completely out of place is ludicrous.

2- No one here has suggested that the inappropriate behavior of adults at these establishments is acceptable. In no way does this inform whether or not it's OK to allow your children to create a total disaster out others' signature dining experiences.

3- There really is no question as to whether a screaming, yelling, obnoxious, loud, child who can't sit in a chair and behave for a couple of hours is an unacceptable distraction at a signature restaurant where patrons are paying a premium for ambiance and atmosphere as much as they are for service and food quality.

4- Many children are capable and have been raised such that they do in fact behave while in an upscale restaurant, while many are not. Parents of the latter should have the common sense not to take them to one of these places, or the consideration to remove them when they misbehave. Parents who fail to do so are a terrible example to their children, and just downright ignorant.

Last edited:
we have such a young child in this 'fancy' restaurant? We are staying at Boardwalk so it is convienet for us to dine there.

#1 - it is Disney...kids are expected
#2 - it is Flying Fish...not that "fancy" of a place

Don't sweat it. Great job taking your kids to nicer places at a young age. As long as some level of good parenting is done, your kids will learn at an early age what level of behavior is expected at nicer places. Do this often, and you as a parent can take them anywhere and sit back and smile as your kids nail it, because you prepped them early.

Aside from the fact that your post here reduces to the justification of wrong behavior by the wrong behavior of others, I'll provide some much needed clarification.

1- Inappropriate behavior at Disney Signatures is the exception, as opposed to the rule. The idea that said behaviors are not completely out of place is ludicrous.

2- No one here has suggested that the inappropriate behavior of adults at these establishments is acceptable. In no way does this inform whether or not it's OK to allow your children to create a total disaster out others' signature dining experiences.

3- There really is no question as to whether a screaming, yelling, obnoxious, loud, child who can't sit in a chair and behave for a couple of hours is an unacceptable distraction at a signature restaurant where patrons are paying a premium for ambiance and atmosphere as much as they are for service and food quality.

4- Many children are capable and have been raised such that they do in fact behave while in an upscale restaurant, while many are not. Parents of the latter should have the common sense not to take them to one of these places, or the consideration to remove them when they misbehave. Parents who fail to do so are a terrible example to their children, and just downright ignorant.

There's always one in every thread ...

Honestly, we dine out a lot and I have never had my meal ruined by another child dining at the same restaurant.

#1 - it is Disney...kids are expected
#2 - it is Flying Fish...not that "fancy" of a place

Don't sweat it. Great job taking your kids to nicer places at a young age. As long as some level of good parenting is done, your kids will learn at an early age what level of behavior is expected at nicer places. Do this often, and you as a parent can take them anywhere and sit back and smile as your kids nail it, because you prepped them early.

Have you been since the major refurb? It didn’t used to be fancy but definitely is now.

Ended up changing our reservation from Flying Fish to Jiko instead.

Also a great choice. This thread ended up taking a bit of an unexpected turn but I think the general advice provided holds true for Jiko as well as Flying Fish or any signature restaurant. It's a Disney World restaurant and kids are both welcome and expected. I think the hope would be that we all respect the experience of fellow diners and act accordingly -- and in a signature restaurant I think there's an elevated expectation. By virtue of even asking the question, it sounds like you're sensitive to that. I hope you have a great trip!

Also a great choice. This thread ended up taking a bit of an unexpected turn but I think the general advice provided holds true for Jiko as well as Flying Fish or any signature restaurant. It's a Disney World restaurant and kids are both welcome and expected. I think the hope would be that we all respect the experience of fellow diners and act accordingly -- and in a signature restaurant I think there's an elevated expectation. By virtue of even asking the question, it sounds like you're sensitive to that. I hope you have a great trip!
Thank you. My daughter does well in restaurants and if there is ever an issue I take her out of the situation for a moment and she's fine. I didn't mean for such an argument to occur .

In 25 years of going to WDW multiple times a year we have had our dining experience ruined only once by badly misbehaving parents who did nothing to control their badly behaving children. I think we all know the difference between children being children and disruptive behavior.

As a couple dining without children in Disney we so enjoy seeing young families enjoying meals together. The sound of kids having fun is delightful. Please go to Jiko or FF and enjoy being with your little ones!!!!!

I hope you didn’t change your reservation thinking the expectation is different at Jiko. As @2xcited2sleep stated it would be the same at all Signature Restaurants
I am fully aware of the standards expected at signature restaurants. We changed due to a member of our party preferring the Jiko menu over FF. I am not new to the realm of Disney but this will be our first time traveling there with our daughter thus is why I asked my original question.

I am fully aware of the standards expected at signature restaurants. We changed due to a member of our party preferring the Jiko menu over FF. I am not new to the realm of Disney but this will be our first time traveling there with our daughter thus is why I asked my original question.
Great. The reason for the change certainly wasn’t clear from your post

Either choice will be a good'un:). Try and get there a bit earlier than your ressie and tour the grounds with your babe. The giraffes were out the last 2 times we went and they are just adorable.
I didn't say it before but like other posters I think it's wonderful to introduce children to slightly more formal restaurants early in life. They won't feel it's "foreign territory" as they age.

Last edited:
In 25 years of going to WDW multiple times a year we have had our dining experience ruined only once by badly misbehaving parents who did nothing to control their badly behaving children. I think we all know the difference between children being children and disruptive behavior.

As a couple dining without children in Disney we so enjoy seeing young families enjoying meals together. The sound of kids having fun is delightful. Please go to Jiko or FF and enjoy being with your little ones!!!!!
I agree :goodvibes We were cracking up during our last trip to Jiko because there was a little baby behind us laughing hysterically at his dad. It was so funny & cute. I think he conked out about halfway through the meal, but we sure had a good laugh.

I am an old lady (70s) with no children or grandchildren. But the only thing that would really bother me is if a child is running thru the restaurant and/or grabbing things off my table. But I truly can't imagine that you would let a 1 1/2 year old child just wander around a restaurant unattended.

I really don't care if a child is crumbling up crackers, drooling, making a mess at your table, etc. If a child was screaming with no parental input I'd wonder why the parents were not at least trying to comfort the poor child.

But be prepared - childless old people like me are highly likely to ooh and coo over how cute your toddler is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter