Floaties

No. DCL policy prohibits the following items: inflatable pools, rafts, floats, etc. as well as pool noodles.

They provide complementary life jackets and will be happy to rent you a float for $15.

No. DCL policy prohibits the following items: inflatable pools, rafts, floats, etc. as well as pool noodles.

They provide complementary life jackets and will be happy to rent you a float for $15.
To expand on that, CC will rent either large-ish inflatable rings, or these blue rectangular floating mats. Neither of which are perfect for little kids, but there's fun to be had.

Curious what kind of floatie do you need blown up instead of using lung power?
Not the OP, but the round inner tube style rafts (like the ones you can rent on Castaway Cay) take a lot of lung power and many places will blow them up. I believe one of the Universal hotels has a lazy river where they sell inner tubes or you can bring your own and they will blow it up. There is a place near us that you can float down the river in inner tubes and they have an air station there where you can fill your own tubes.

Will Disney blow up your raft or inflatable floaties? Many resorts have an air pump in their shops and will blow up inflatables for you. Does Disney in Castaway Cay?

Will Disney blow up your raft or inflatable floaties? Many resorts have an air pump in their shops and will blow up inflatables for you. Does Disney in Castaway Cay?
No. Because you're not allowed to bring them.

There are two different kinds of floating items being discussed in the thread.

Personal flotation devices that are worn on the body, such as Puddle Jumpers, are permitted, as PrincessShmoo posted. If these require inflation, you would need to do it yourself.

Floats that users sit on, such as those you can rent at Castaway Cay, and other external devices, such as pool noodles, cannot be brought by guests, as justafigment27 posted.

My 3 year old used a Puddle Jumper as a life vest. We had no issue
Yes, a Puddle Jumper is a USCG-approved personal flotation device (PFD) and guests are allowed to bring their own.

"Arm floaties" that some kids use for swimming are not USCG-approved, not allowed on DCL, and honestly are not safe.

Innertube or ring style floats, bed-style floats, chair-style floats or any other "fun" types of floats are not allowed.

Not the OP, but the round inner tube style rafts (like the ones you can rent on Castaway Cay) take a lot of lung power and many places will blow them up. I believe one of the Universal hotels has a lazy river where they sell inner tubes or you can bring your own and they will blow it up. There is a place near us that you can float down the river in inner tubes and they have an air station there where you can fill your own tubes.
It doesn't really answer my question but I'm glad you had an opportunity to share, especially for those going to a Universal hotel or another similar water adventure. It is good information to have.

Yes, a Puddle Jumper is a USCG-approved personal flotation device (PFD) and guests are allowed to bring their own.

"Arm floaties" that some kids use for swimming are not USCG-approved, not allowed on DCL, and honestly are not safe.
The policy quoted by PrincessShmoo says that water wings are allowed.

From the DCL website:
  • Coast Guard personal flotation devices (PFDs), water wings and flotation sewn into bathing suits can be brought on board and are permitted in all pools and waterslides except the AquaDunk.

The policy quoted by PrincessShmoo says that water wings are allowed.
I think it comes down to the definition of "water wings" and whether the item is USCG-approved. I would consider a Puddle Jumper "water wings" moreso than calling it a lifejacket and it is USCG-approved. The basic inflatable rings worn on the arms are not USCG-approved and thus not allowed on DCL.

I think it comes down to the definition of "water wings" and whether the item is USCG-approved. I would consider a Puddle Jumper "water wings" moreso than calling it a lifejacket and it is USCG-approved. The basic inflatable rings worn on the arms are not USCG-approved and thus not allowed on DCL.
I read it as 3 separate items: (1) Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices; (2) water wings; (3) flotation sewn into bathing suits. The latter two items may or may not be USCG-approved, but are allowed. I've always thought of "water wings" as being another name for "arm floaties," and that's certainly most of the results when I Google "water wings."

Do you have personal experience with water wings not being allowed on DCL despite the language on the website? I mean, all I have is the quoted language saying they're allowed, I don't have any experience of actually using them. Do you have any experience of trying to use them and not being allowed?

I've always thought of "water wings" as being another name for "arm floaties," and that's certainly most of the results when I Google "water wings."
1729702559402.png

I interpret the statement as Coast Guard approved applies to all 3 items. That is based on my experience as a lifeguard, my training in safe water practices, my experience at various pools and on DCL. My child is long past the age of using any flotation assistance so I have no recent experience. As I mentioned previously, I don't consider the arm rings to be safe so I never tried to use them on DCL or anywhere.

My first DCL cruise was more than a decade ago. I've simply tried to share my knowledge. If you prefer to argue your interpretation of written words be my guest and take the inflatable arm rings.

USCG approved water wings are the same as a puddle jumper. Regular inflatable arm rings will never be approved as a life saving device. Besides the variables in the amount of air, they slip off as soon as your arms go above your head.

The puddle jumper is a foam product in the arms and is sewn to the body of the vest portion.

I think lanejudy has correctly covered why you should not use them ever, but as far as USCG regulations go, they don't qualify.

Last edited:
Many many places do not allow water wings, but only floatation devices coast guard approved. I just can’t imagine Disney being okay with them, my kids are grown but we were told back in the day not to use them.

I read it as 3 separate items: (1) Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices; (2) water wings; (3) flotation sewn into bathing suits. The latter two items may or may not be USCG-approved, but are allowed. I've always thought of "water wings" as being another name for "arm floaties," and that's certainly most of the results when I Google "water wings."
This was my interpretation as well (that it's a list of three distinct things). But I have no personal experience here, that's just my interpretation of reading that sentence.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest