First Trip To WDW ~ How old were you?

I was 10 and my parents drove to the Florida Keys with me for a holiday~ they didn't have much money we stayed at motels and had fast food ~ but boy I loved fast food!

We only went to MK for a few hours, I remember seeing the country bear jamboree but my parents weren't really 'ride' people so we didn't really go on anything.

I remember seeing a cart selling what I thought was chocolate covered ice cream bars ~ my parents bought me one and it was a frozen banana... blech! Then they were mad at me because I wouldn't eat it. :mad:

I also remember the Kennedy Space Centre and some kind of park where there were alligators everywhere.

After that I didn't go back till my mid 20's and now it is soooo much more fun going with my daughter ~ no frozen bananas :)

>>^..^<<

I'm curious. For those of you who went to WDW when you were very small, dsneygirl for example, do you really remember very much of that trip? I'd love to take my niece (she's 3, soon to be 4), but I wonder how much of it she'll remember when she grows up.

CJK, you've mentioned (at 2), that you don't recall any of your trip. I guess I'm wondering at what age people really do start to remember.

:)

Snowwark, that's a good question. I'm pretty certain I don't remember anything from age 2. We went back when I was 4 and then when I was 6 and I have memories from these trips I think. I loved the Pirates from a very young age. We always stayed at Fort Wilderness campground and I remember loving to go into the stores there for the air conditioning. I have a picture of Mickey and me from when I was 6 and when I look at it, I remember the feeling of being hugged by Mickey for the first time. Hope thise helps! You're terrific for wanting to take your niece!

I was 12 years old for my first WDW trip. MK was the only park. I remember CR but I don't recall Poly. I know it was there, I just don't remember paying attention to it.

DH was 27 during his first trip.

DD was 4.5 years old during her first trip.

DS was 15 months old during his first trip.

We were 7 when we first went to WDW...So that was 22 years ago. SO we were there in 1981. I remember some of it. We also went when we were 13, and 16.
Twinz

I was 26 on my first trip, almost 30 years ago. It was one of the highlights of my life. I was so excited. We drove 28 hours straight to get there. And we stayed in Orlando ( boy did we have a lot to learn ). I can still close my eyes and bring back the thrill that went through me as the monorail rounded a curve and I got my first glimpse of the castle. After many more trips, that feeling is still there.

My children are now older that I was on that first Disney vacation, and they both still take regular vacations back there. And so do I :)

The first trip I can remember was probably around 1971/72 - went with a church group. I was amazed when we got there and they just turned us loose - I had never been allowed to go off on my own before. I was in about 7th grade. Been back many times since then but never stayed overnight until about 5 years ago. The main thing I remember is that the MK stayed open so much later back then, I always loved being in the MK after dark! Since then we always stay at least one night! :D

I was the tender age of 27 and newly wed. My DH suggested we visit WDW for a vacation. At first I thought he was nuts because… “wasn’t Disney for kids?” But when DH advised me that close to 80% of visitors going to WDW were adults, I said I would give it a try. As Goofy would say, “Garsh!” That was 20 years ago! We have since become the un-official WDW guides for his family and mine. Golly, we go often enough now that I'm starting to talk like a Disney character. :)

Great question! :)

I was introduced to Disney by watching the Mickey Mouse Club on a B&W TV, and for the longest time never actually involved myself in the Disney experience, except pretending to "be" Davy Crockett as a kid, just like every other youngster in the neighbourhood (Fess Parker was so cool). It wasn't until I had passed the magic age of 30, that I actually 'got around' to checking out the Orlando parks. That was back in 1981. In hindsight I can't imagine why I waited so long. :confused:

Me and DW have been driving to Florida since '92, and hooking on an additional week of R&R at a Gulf Coast beach house after a go-go week at the parks.

We will do it again in October... because we need our Disney fix!! (Escaping the approaching winter is good incentive too :sunny: )

Cheers,

Rigel

My first WDW trip...My Best Friend, me and our mother's drove down to celebrate my 21st birthday there....
My mom used to go all the time with her brother who is a tour guide still and never took me.. she always told me that WDW was for adults not kids...that when I was officially an adult she would take me.. well I have been back every year since and sometimes 2x a year

Originally posted by CJK
Maybe they'll start renting out the apartment over the castle and I could rent it each year! ;) Who's with me??? :cool:

Me! Me! I'll join you CJK- can you imagine the evening view?

Wow, lots of new posters (or fairly new). Welcome to the DIS, and especially to the Canadian board, Frieda, Penelope, Rigel! :)

Frieda, is this going to be your first trip to WDW? :)

As far as early memories go, sometimes it does seems to be a small, brief snippet of feelings, senses. Maybe a flash of a picture in your mind...or maybe that's just me..lol....

My mom and I went to DL when I was 13.

Then, nothing until I was 26 with my (then) girlfriend (now DW) - went to WDW for three days... saw MGM and MK.

Then, anxiously waiting our kids were old enough! (I held out until they were 4 and 6, I was 36).

Now, can't get enough!

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, this will be my first trip. We'll be going in November. I've been reading these boards every day getting as much info as I can.

Thanks for that delightful welcome, Snowwark!

disney13.gif

My parents went to the movies in 1971 or 1972 and saw a 'trailer' for WDW which was opening. They decided that it looked like fun so off we went in 1972 and I was 5 years old. I cried all through the Haunted Mansion and my mother kept saying "Mr. Disney wouldn't make anything to scare little girls". At the end i turned to her and asked if we could do it again. For some reason she said no.lol

I was in my mid-teens the first visit. I think it was DisneyWorld's 10th anniversary year 'cause I bought a commemorative book. Anyways, we stayed at the Golf Resort, spent forever in MK, toured Discovery Island (had a pirate night there I think), splashed around in River Country, etc etc.

Really loved that visit and it set the mood for every visit thereafter. My favourite part.... Main Street first thing in the morning. *sigh* Of course, back then they had a magic shop, a nickelodeon, etc.

You're very welcome, Rigel...lol. :)

Frieda, where are you stay? Yes, I'm nosy...:)

KLondon, the Golf Resort? Would that of been Shades of Green, also formerly known as the Disney Inn, or somewhere else?

:)

Hi Snowwark. I don't mind you being nosy. I'm nosy too.:) We are doing the Land/Sea package. We'll be staying at the Carribean Beach Resort for four days and the onto the Wonder for the three day cruise. I can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter