First Time Ever WDW Happily Ever After - a Newbie's Trip Planner

joining in! I can't even imagine trying to do all this planning and take everything in for the first time when you are in another country, totally different time zone, etc.

I've really enjoyed your report so far - as someone of Germanic roots (I actually did have lederhozen as a kid) I enjoy seeing the use of German in your report as well

best of luck and super glad MDE decided to start behaving. It is a really clunky site even when it is working and is super frustrating when it isn't.

Congrats on closing on the house as well! :thumbsup2

Hi, Max,

Wow! I must say, having readers really ups my self-esteem and gives me the oompf to continue writing.

Well, I do have a few dirndls for events when I am on stage. I am not really a "bavarian" girl and my Schatz really does have leder hosen--the leather pants worn motorcycling (leder= leather, hosen= pants/trousers, get it?). He enjoys the times I get them out because they are so "not me"--I don't do ruffles or puffed sleeves.

But I do have a "real" (village specific) dirndl that looks exactly like Belle's in Beauty and the Beast. I know it's set in France, but her blue dress is 100% that of a Gössl traditional dirndl of Austria (where I lived). I remember wearing that one for the first time in Salzburg. (True story here, honest, cross my heart, hope to die... that whole needle in my eye thing freaks me out, so we'll skip that one.) On my way home through the Schloss Mirabell gardens, I stopped to rest and read a book on the Pegasus fountain edge like I often did (and still do, when in Salzburg) and a little girl came running up crying "It's Belle, Mama, it's Belle, look!"

It was cute, but attracted more attention than I wanted and turned into tons of people photographing me (which I really don't like at all). That was the last time I wore that dirndl in the city. *sigh* I have a copy of one of the pics, but I cannot for the life of me find it. In it I kinda do look like Belle (minus the sheep eating my book). I'll see if I can find a photo of the dirndl wth the red apron (instead of the white one--I cut that one down) and post it if/when I find it.

Planning has been more than I expected. Although I love it and reading up on everything, it is not something my Schatz gets. He wants me to have a hobby or something to keep me busy. He thinks I'm doing it because I have nothing else to do and it is a chore (or surfing aimlessly).

Fortunately, my English is great (native speaker here) because I cannot imagine doing all this in a second langauge to boot. The information in German is... basic... at best. No great UK-type deals, etc. It's rather unfortunate, as we have just as far to travel, etc. and therefore look to stay that much longer.

In addition to planning Disney, I need to plan a "non-Disney/theme park" week in the area. THAT has me just as stumped or more than Disney.

Any one got a great, inexpensive idea/place for a week with sun, warmth and nature? *sigh* That is not coming together at all!

So happy MDE is on your side now! Hopefully you will be able to line up all of your ADR's. If there is one you have your heart set on but nothing is open just keep checking back. There is also a thread for people canceling ADR's.

That story of the little girl thinking you were Belle is very cute ... if you ever go to WDW for a Halloween party I think you know what to wear ;)

If you want to stay in that area there are a ton of beach towns/vacation areas in Florida - guess it depends if you want something more laid back or with more action

Also, not sure how far "that area" means given that you are flying across an ocean and changing continents ... there are also places in Georgia or South Carolina that are nice or even going to like New Orleans

So happy MDE is on your side now! Hopefully you will be able to line up all of your ADR's. If there is one you have your heart set on but nothing is open just keep checking back. There is also a thread for people canceling ADR's.

YAY! Pirate! It was an amazing moment, let me tell you! I couldn't have been more proud! (And no one to share the joy. :sad2:)

I have subbed to that thread, but realized, in the grand scheme of things (now that I COULD make all the reservations and stalk sites), that we are fine.

Part of that is owing to my lack of planning finesse (which was praised here, making me feel very cool for my lack of--foresight). The other part was the huge stress I was feeling after reading about people "crunching numbers" and reading disserations based on the financial viability of the Dining Plan we just happened to come upon.

Now, if I happen to discover an ADR or we do find on when we get to the hotel: YIPPEE!!!!! If not, I WILL survive the disappointment. :goodvibes

That story of the little girl thinking you were Belle is very cute ... if you ever go to WDW for a Halloween party I think you know what to wear ;)

If you want to stay in that area there are a ton of beach towns/vacation areas in Florida - guess it depends if you want something more laid back or with more action

Also, not sure how far "that area" means given that you are flying across an ocean and changing continents ... there are also places in Georgia or South Carolina that are nice or even going to like New Orleans

Hi, Max, Yes, I guess you're right. It was very cute in retrospect. At the time I was horrified!

Nowadays, I don't think I look that "Belle-like"--I do have a good 20 years on her. No one could confuse us, today.

Where to stay Christmas week? We are open to almost everything--the only conditions my Schatz has placed on me are: warm/hot, not boring, and somewhat inexpensive (OK, flights, cruise and Disney AI IS a bit of a spendy vacation). Yes, relaxing but not boring. If that isn't a challenge!

We fly out of Atlanta, GA on the 29th and I don't want to travel too much/far.

Part of me feels I should have cut my losses and we should have flown home after Disney. But at the time, I was pricing tickets to possibly fly home to visit family for a short visit. That has since become a no-go, so we are "stuck" so to speak, and changing flights would be very expensive.

I just KNOW there is somewhere worth seeing for a few days before heading back up to Georgia (We spend our first week in Georgia). Or maybe even a "scenic route" South and then North through the "inland" roads. Christmas Eve/Day is the one I am unsure of--finding the right location for the holidays.

PS: It feels really great to have veteran Disers take the time to read and comment--It really gives me courage to know that I will get this all worked out GREAT!

Well, it's Sunday morning. The house is quiet--my men are still sleeping soundly. I have my "Sunday coffee"and time to write. :surfweb:
We've hit a really COLD spell and it just doesn't feel right to be cuddling in a big sweater hoping to turn on the heat. But there is something I just LOVE about autumn. I think it's my favorite time of year. I love every season, but there is just something so "comforting" about the smell of the rain on the leaves, the pumpkin soups and hearty stews being cooked, the feel of the chill on your face when you are wrapped up warm... (note to self: I need a few new warm sweaters.)

Disney Guest Service Emails
I know I was really depressing the past few posts. Things just were NOT working and no one was responding. OUCH. After writing Disney back 3 times with no response, I wasn't feeling the love or magic anymore.

After my red letter week, I was feeling so much better. Disney Guest Relations wrote me 3 times this week responding to each and every one of my problems, restarted my account and eensure that all the reservations, etc. were still there. They told me that although I needed to call, they would send me the "back number" to avoid "standby" and that we needed to go to Guest Relations upon arrival to make any final adjustments, etc. Being the properly-raised "young" lady that I am, I decided I just had to write back and say "thank you". I didn't expect a response but got one personally with a quite personal message. Disney Magic is Restored.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any more reservations to make to test things out. But I WILL. I'm stalking the ADR cancellation thread and have something on my side: TIME. I have read on these boards that everything (opening--not cancelled--ADRs, FP+, etc.) is "reset" at midnight/1am, and that folks, is almost right in line with my coffee break at work! Time zones--gotta love'm! :woohoo:

To Be Continued...:wave2:

When deciding to go on this vacation, we originally were looking at staying in a "Downtown Disney off-site hotel" or Coranado Springs Resort.

Staying at the offsite hotel that was almost onsite would have cut our costs in half! and included breakfast. and had serious "full-time" transportation to WDW. Maybe we will regret not having chosen that one. $1000 is a lot of money (hey, I'm being honest here!) And when Disney took away a lot of the EMH for our week, I almost just threw in the towel and looked for a better deal than "on-site".

Yes, I know, we are paying for theming and "total emersion", etc. but let's get real here--$1000! We wouldn't be doing anything to make that up if we moved. As someone has reminded me: we can still change our minds if we want.

However, DTD is undergoing construction and is not really a "romantic" place to be right now. The other options (Swan and Dolphin) really don't drop our price at all.

As we were looking things up, our TA recommended Coronado simply because I asked for no major "Disney theming". I love Lion King, and Nemo is one of our first films together. Seriously, "meins, meins, meins" (mine, mine, mine = literally "my one, my one, my one") is our teasing callout to each other. But sleeping in a room with cartoon characters all over the wall just doesn't say: "Honeymoon" to me and my Schatz is happy when I'm happy--so long as he doesn't have to plan it.

Despite the almost double the price of Coronado, I liked the idea of staying "on-site" and starting looking at it online. It seemed to be a good cross for us. We are too "cheap"/"poor" to justify a deluxe and this seemed to be similar for a lot less money. The distance to the parks seemed a non-issue for us adults. Perfect!

When finally getting down to "brass tacks", my TA called me (yes, she did--across the ocean and all) telling me there was this deal going on called: free dining and that we were lucky enough to be scheduling in that time-frame and in the "right" hotel. I got excited and we both ran the numbers. What a great idea!

(Little did is suspect this whole ADR beast was looming in the horizon.)

:offtopic: While doing this, I was talking to another friend who cruises all the time and after making some changes, decided the order of our vacation: cruise first, Disney second. The reasons: a) cruise was quite a bit less expensive then sailing a week later, b) the itinerary fit our style, c) Pop Warner was the week of the 6th, as was the taping of the parade--2 things I wanted to avoid.

Unfortunately,when I got back to my TA, the CSR was booked out for that deal unless we wanted to upgrade. :faint: "But", she said, "what about Caribbean Beach Resort? It's a bit less expensive and I have put a hold on a room for you just in case. Take a look. It is not as 'upscale' looking perhaps as CSR, but it is beautiful and there is a beach and it is more spread out (what we wanted) and less 'hotel highrise'."

So I did. And despite the Nemo borders and rather 80's bedspreads, we booked it.

I will be honest, I was disappointed that we were getting such a "childish themed" room, but saving that much money was worth it and my Schatz said: when you sleep, your eyes are closed and outside the room it is really quite charming. He's right, you know.

So armed with this depressing information, I came here on Dis looking for information about totally different topics. It was fun planning, but the hotel room just... well, it was a touch of a downer. Until, da-ta-ta-taaaaaa, I found a thread for the CBR and the first post said:
"Breaking News!!!
CBR is currently undergoing a room refurbishment. The rooms with 2 doubles will include the long awaited switch to Queen beds. The King rooms will keep the King beds and get new furnishings.... So far the entire Village of Jamaica has been completed and all of Aruba has been completed. They have now started on Barbados 11. Logically, that would mean that Martinique is next the followed by Trinidad North. If they keep up the current pace, my best guess is that the will finish up with Preferred locations by the end of December."
Then I saw pictures. YAY!!!!!! :goodvibes

They looked a lot more subtle and exactly what we were (ok, I was) looking for. Down to the removal of the border, the dark wood and lighter bedding and the installation of sliding doors. It may not be perfectly what I would have done, but really--I'm thrilled!!!!

Our TA placed "honeymoon" on our reservations--she said that was important to note and we should just go with it! This was our happily ever after vacation and people should know that. My Schatz is not sure about all this--he doesn't like major attention or drawing attention to himself.

On the boards I have learned where we would prefer to be located and how/when to request it.

Our Ideal Room: view over the lagoon (not pool), close to the Cay, 2nd floor, corner room.
(I know there are corner rooms with a view over the water with fireworks at night from Epcot and a bit of Hollywood Studios but don't know which ones they are--I am guessing Martinique? Which would be preferred and we haven't booked that one. If not, that would go to the top of the "list".)
We can choose 2 to request, but I have seen that "water view" does not mean lagoon view--it could be a pool view :worried: which we would not want.

But we have a while before we come to that bridge to cross. We have a hotel I think we will enjoy. "Free dining" which is a better deal than a room discount for us. Yes, we are spending $2300 for 7 nights/8 days which is slightly over budget. I hope it is worth it!

Hi! Like you, I am up early on a Sunday morning enjoying some quiet time to myself before I have to rouse my family up and go to church. I find myself drawn to the Dis on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I only just started my own trip report about or trip in Feb 2014. I never did a pretrip report but I did start a Feb planning thread where I updated regularly.

Like you I found the Dis a perfect place to discuss issues or talk out plans with fellow Disney planners. my DH sounds like yours in that he doesn't want to do any advanced planning and doesn't really want to hear all the details. I love your style of writing!! It is entertaining. I am glad I found your report because now I will have something to look forward to as the months charge ahead and I am missing Disney.

We have stayed at both CSR and CBR. They are both great! We were in a second floor corner room inJamaica at CBR. I loved the look and feel of CBR with all the buildings in different colors and the pretty white sand beaches.
Our room faced lush greenery. We did see some of the fireworks at night when when we were in the main pool area.

Hi! Like you, I am up early on a Sunday morning enjoying some quiet time to myself before I have to rouse my family up and go to church. I find myself drawn to the Dis on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I only just started my own trip report about or trip in Feb 2014. I never did a pretrip report but I did start a Feb planning thread where I updated regularly.

Hello Ms. South!
your name just makes me smile (and think of all the Southern children I hav had the pleasure to meet!

Thank you for joining! Each person who reads and responds gives me more courage to write on, write on. I know I write that often, but it is so true! Aren't early mornings on weekends something special? All too often I sleep through them. Blame my early morning on the most lovable kitty you could imagine (no, not mine--I'm kitty-sitting). Got up, walked over to her house, 30 min. of cuddles, then feeding and she was let out for the day; a 30 min luxurious walk along our river in the early morning freshness after (between) rain storms; a fresh cup of coffee pressed.... sigh!

Like you I found the Dis a perfect place to discuss issues or talk out plans with fellow Disney planners. my DH sounds like yours in that he doesn't want to do any advanced planning and doesn't really want to hear all the details. I love your style of writing!! It is entertaining. I am glad I found your report because now I will have something to look forward to as the months charge ahead and I am missing Disney.

I am still "meeting people" and feel rather like the annoying kid in the back who was constantly raising her hand to ask another question just after the teacher stopped speaking and you had thought you "got it" and confused you all over again. Yep. That's me. Clueless and... well, not proud, but.... I own it!

And perhaps some day someone will be able to read through this and feel not so alone and get a few ideas.

Taking the chance of offending my Max here and others, I have noticed a lot of women share what you said about DH, FI; BFs and any other 2-letter abbreviations they can think of. My Schatz and I are opposites in this respect and I have learned to deal with it (but caught him secretly reading over my shoulder a few times and he just decided spontaneously to look up the ESTA requirements, etc.--we're making progress!). This thread is my "outlet" and my chance to be me.

Until I get closer to our vacation, I only have my voice to share--photos come later... I hope that that is ok. So many reports are full of pictures and even videos. That's not me. sigh. I lack the technical know-how (and photographic eye).

We have stayed at both CSR and CBR. They are both great! We were in a second floor corner room inJamaica at CBR. I loved the look and feel of CBR with all the buildings in different colors and the pretty white sand beaches.
Our room faced lush greenery. We did see some of the fireworks at night when when we were in the main pool area.

YAY!
I really love to hear that others enjoyed the CBR. What really "scared" me was the hot/cold love/hate reviews of it.

For some reason everyone here seems to be in love with the French Quarter or New Orleans Riverside Resorts which I just don't get. I guess the closeness of the buildings and the bright colorful "Mardi Gras" decorations are just not my style. I stayed in the Riverside resort years and years ago and I remember loving the boat-ride (no one understood that) but didn't really "fall in love" with the location.

I am still trying to figure out what rooms can see fireworks from the rooms (I know that people have had them, so they do exist). Wouldn't that just be perfect? Lying in bed watching the fireworks at a distance--over looking a lake shore? hmmm.... romantic!

Another update is on the way soon. A lot of planning has just been put into motion and so many decisions made! I am so excited!

Your free dinning deal is amazing and I am sure your ADR's will work themselves out eventually. Sometimes not getting what you want means you get to try something different which can often times lead to a wonderful experience. I probably would have never tried Teppanyaki Dining Room (now called Teppan Edo) if it wasn't "the only option left" for a Candlelight Processional package. It ended up being our favorite meal of the trip.

I think you will be happy with your choice of resort also. I have stayed at CBR and although I disliked the sprawling nature of the resort, it would be nice if I were staying for my honeymoon. I am certain the Dis members over on the CBR thread will lead you in the right direction for which room requests to make. I also agree with your TA regarding noting the honeymoon on your reservation. It might even help get you the perfect room assignment!

Your free dinning deal is amazing and I am sure your ADR's will work themselves out eventually. Sometimes not getting what you want means you get to try something different which can often times lead to a wonderful experience. I probably would have never tried Teppanyaki Dining Room (now called Teppan Edo) if it wasn't "the only option left" for a Candlelight Processional package. It ended up being our favorite meal of the trip.

I think you will be happy with your choice of resort also. I have stayed at CBR and although I disliked the sprawling nature of the resort, it would be nice if I were staying for my honeymoon. I am certain the Dis members over on the CBR thread will lead you in the right direction for which room requests to make. I also agree with your TA regarding noting the honeymoon on your reservation. It might even help get you the perfect room assignment!

Hi Pirate! (Heck, I'm not creative with names--and I love pirates, so it's all good.)

Yes, we are actually looking forward to having a rather sprawling Hotel complex. My Schatz is rather aversive to "high-rise hotels" and the like and we love feeling "away from the world". It feels rather appropriate, actually, as we are coming from our first caribbean cruise. The CBR Dis members here are sooo helpful! I really haven't asked much, but they are so quick to respond and offer tips and guidance.

Now, however, I am rather conflicted: renovated room with Queen beds or fireworks over lake view??? hmmm only one of these requests could be fulfilled. The problems I now have. :rotfl:

You are so right about the dining. I have never indulged in anything like this and it feels rather frivolous and exclusive. We never dined at a Disney restaurant as children--too expensive. Now I get to sift through the offerings and make decisions.

I really wanted to do a signature for the MK Holiday Wishes but we aren't seafood fans at all and my Schatz prefers his steaks dead and deader (well done). I can't do any pork. Without chicken offerings, 'Ohana is out, too. Why did they choose to do "pork and shrimp and med-rare beef"? Kinda reduces the options for us "vegetarian+" people.

It is rather depressing to see how many signatures just do not fit our dining style of "laid back calm" with a view. We don't do sushi or seafood or teeny tiny portions. Well, we'll see what we work out.

But food and ADRs are another post. (And I really hope you'll chime in on that one! You know what's good around!)

Oh, and btw: yesterday working with MDE was a DREAM, I tell you, a DREAM! Seriously, they rebooted/reset my account, checked the ADRs (none were missing or altered), and did some mumbo-jumbo techie Magic and Voilá! Seeing the website for the first time without any flaws or glitches or connection errors... I'msure it brought a tear to my eye!

Let's talk food! I like food... ok, I LOVE food. I can eat what I want and that is a good thing because eating a lovely dinner with people I care about is about the perfect thing in the world. When we had only been dating a couple months, we were invited to a Chinese dinner with his extended family and his dad commented on how I ate at least as much as he had. At that time I was very active and teeny tiny.

Now, 18 months later, I have a much more sedentary life and have stopped being so teeny tiny. OK, I'm still quite small, but no longer overly fragile. I'm just getting my mind around actually thinking about what I eat.

That being said: planning for Disney suddenly requires me to consider food more than I ever have before. Seriously, planning our days took both of us 15 minutes tops. Planning our food is still a journey. Partially because I wasn't able to get all the reservations I wanted.

We have the "free dining plan" including a Table Service, a Counter Service and 1 Snack. Despite begging for information and advice, I still haven't found all the answers I am looking for.

What I have found that seems to be well recommended and comes into the final round I put into a table based on location. As we don't want to be tied to food, I thought we would settle our table services and play the rest by ear.

Our life: We really are not seafood people. If I did seafood the whole time, I would be coming home alone. At the same time, steak dinners every day is not our style either. To complicate matters, I am intolerant of pork. Sigh. I know there are several restaurants that do not meet all these criteria, but they meet other ones.

Remember, we have 7 Table service credits each; no park hoppers.
The lower set are the Signature restaurants that take 2 credits.
Not as easy as I thought it would be.

Before doing that, I had already reserved 3 restaurants for 3 days:
Sunday = HS = 50's Prime Time
Wednes = AK = Boma
Friday = Epcot = Chefs de France

I really would like to find a later Be our Guest reservation at 7pm on either Saturday or Monday. That would really make my Magic Kingdom experience perfect. I do know there is the option for quick service option, but the dinner would be the hit! A girl can dream, right?

Any ideas or suggestions? Am I making a huge mistake or missing something right in front of my nose?

First, I am so glad that you feel like you are getting the service you deserve now back from Disney guest relations and that you friend/TA has been so helpful. I think you will really like Caribbean Beach - I know a lot of people really like it. To be honest, we haven't really ever considered it BUT it is because of the same reason you like it - because it is so spread out.

With regards to dining there are so many options it can be hard.

I think your plan of picking your table service ahead of time and playing the rest by ear makes sense. Generally what I try to do is pick what days we will be at what park and plan table services around there so EPCOT restaurants on EPCOT days, etc.

Couple of thoughts:
* We have done "date night" a few times at California Grill and it continues to be one of our favorites - to be able to get a drink and go out on the observation deck and watch the fireworks is really magical. Out trip last year we were celebrating our 10th anniversary and they even gifted us a champagne toast for the fireworks. They do have seafood there but also tons of other options included meat and flat breads and great sushi (if you like that)

* I think you will really like 50's prime time - it is fun and the food is pretty solid too ... really good fried chicken

* We at at Sanaa our last trip and it turned out to be one of our new favorites. I mean, you have to be open to Indian/African type food but they had quite the viariety and so great to eat/drink while there are giraffes and zebras right at the window :goodvibes

* We have never been able to get a Be Our Guest ADR - but have gone twice for lunch and really liked it. Plus as a resort guest you are able to book a Fast Pass Lunch there which lets you skip the line which is great

* Have you thought about wanting to do any character meals? Some lower key ones are breakfast at 'Ohana's, meals at Cape May, and we just did the Garden Grill and enjoyed that - the food was better than I was expecting as well.

* One thing we like to do in EPCOT is eat dinner at Rose and Crown as they have a private viewing area for Illuminations. Even if you don't get a patio table when it is time for the show you can go out and watch and they will hold your food.

Probably can think of some other things, but that is what comes to mind right now

First, I am so glad that you feel like you are getting the service you deserve now back from Disney guest relations and that you friend/TA has been so helpful. I think you will really like Caribbean Beach - I know a lot of people really like it. To be honest, we haven't really ever considered it BUT it is because of the same reason you like it - because it is so spread out.

Oh Hi Max!!! YAY!!! some really really good information!

Yes, I am thrilled that things are "back to normal". It is also a good to know that I wasn't alone and that there was a solution. I guess I was feeling my vacation (and my high expectations with this being both our first and such a major event for us) come falling apart.

I have heard very conflicting reports about the resorts, but as you say: that what person doesn't care for, the other desires. I see in your signature that you have a rather young family. I am not sure what I would consider if I was in the same situation.

And, unfortunately, deluxes are not an option (and I am not sure that we would splurge even if we just won the lottery or came into a fotune). I looked into the other resorts because we invited to pay for both my parents and their spouses to come for the week (at least, the basic dining plan--they could pay to upgrade if they wanted) as we haven't seen each other in over a year. As fate would have it, both decided that they would rather not come.

For us this was one of the resorts that "fit us". But if we had kids--oh there would be so many options....

I think your plan of picking your table service ahead of time and playing the rest by ear makes sense. Generally what I try to do is pick what days we will be at what park and plan table services around there so EPCOT restaurants on EPCOT days, etc.

Couple of thoughts:
* We have done "date night" a few times at California Grill and it continues to be one of our favorites - to be able to get a drink and go out on the observation deck and watch the fireworks is really magical. Out trip last year we were celebrating our 10th anniversary and they even gifted us a champagne toast for the fireworks. They do have seafood there but also tons of other options included meat and flat breads and great sushi (if you like that)

* I think you will really like 50's prime time - it is fun and the food is pretty solid too ... really good fried chicken

* We at at Sanaa our last trip and it turned out to be one of our new favorites. I mean, you have to be open to Indian/African type food but they had quite the viariety and so great to eat/drink while there are giraffes and zebras right at the window :goodvibes

* We have never been able to get a Be Our Guest ADR - but have gone twice for lunch and really liked it. Plus as a resort guest you are able to book a Fast Pass Lunch there which lets you skip the line which is great

* Have you thought about wanting to do any character meals? Some lower key ones are breakfast at 'Ohana's, meals at Cape May, and we just did the Garden Grill and enjoyed that - the food was better than I was expecting as well.

* One thing we like to do in EPCOT is eat dinner at Rose and Crown as they have a private viewing area for Illuminations. Even if you don't get a patio table when it is time for the show you can go out and watch and they will hold your food.

Probably can think of some other things, but that is what comes to mind right now

Love the info and ideas. That is so helpful. I like the way you think! :goodvibes Seriously, great ideas/tips/personal experience information.

50's was actually a recommendation of my friend who said the magic words "fried chicken" and "bottomless real milkshakes". At first I had to think about it. Dining is where my Schatz "zoned out" and left me to sort, pick and alter ADRs. Then I realized he has never been in the USA and the retro 50's is such a part of our culture. I hope we will have a good time and some relaxed fun there!

I did plan according to our "park days" except for MK. That one is hard (and still open)! That just seemed the logical way to do it. Then Disney started changing EMHs etc. and I said: this is our plan and we will deal with scheduling later.

I was torn between Boma and Sanaa. I knew we had to go to one! In the end I chose to schedule Boma for the selection. Still, Sanaa is very tempting...

Hmmm. I have the California Grill still on the list for that very reason: a great date location. Looking at the menu--we don't do sushi and there is just so little there that thrills me in the entrees (do they change?). On the other hand, it was quite reasonably priced making it not worth the 2 credits, but perhaps out of pocket with hor d'ouevres and dessert as a meal? Something to consider.

Rose and Crown was also on my short-list. I think I chose Chefs because of the Candlelight Processional package (I was guaranteed a switch if I wanted it when it became available because of my MDE problems). I had heard good things about the food. How is the food honestly at the Rose & Crown? I am aiming to not repeat 2 types of food once as a table meal.

I am *nervous* about a character meal. I have no idea if, when it comes down to it, my Schatz will go for that or not. Serious internal debate here. Right now, he would say: "why?" It's that "Disney magic" I just cannot predict. I do love Chip & Chap! (That's Chip & Dale back home.) Garden Grill is still on the list for that reason. But we only have 1 day planned for Epcot (2nd post has our schedule) and a "float day" for us to consider--and adding a park day is only $10... Would it be hard to do Garden Grill as a walk up/Guest Relations day before ressi, do you think?

So many questions, questions, questions...

Thank you soooo much for taking so much effort to give me great information and encouragement.

I think picking ADR's is just as hard to pick as a resort. There are just so many great options.

We don't go very often and so when we go I like to try new places based on the reviews that I read here on the Dis.

I think your 50's Primetime dinner is a great choice for you. I have never been myself but the fried chicken and milkshakes sound delish!

We really enjoyed our O'Hana dinner and my DH is a huge meat and potatoes kind of guy!

Liberty Tree Tavern in MK is a good option for meat lovers too. As well as, Le Cellier in Canada in Epcot. When we went in 2009 it was only one table service credit. I think it might be two table service credits each now. If so, not worth two credits each.

This past trip in 2014, we tried a few new places. Some we enjoyed and a couple were just so so.

Since it is just the two of you, I think I would skip the character meals. I have gone to quite a lot of them since we have kids and they are okay but often you feel rushed and they seem to be more crowded (tables close together and very hectic). I know I tend to prefer the dinners I have had without the characters more.

In MK, I second the idea of trying to get a fast pass lunch reservation for BOG. The food was incredible for a counter service meal and we really enjoyed it. The menus are just about the same for both dinner and lunch but lunch is much easier to schedule. Since you are staying onsite, they will send you a code and invite to sign up for a fast pass lunch.

Just a little more information:

Le Cellier is definitely 2 credits for dinner, but I believe 1 for lunch

You can definitely just do apps and dessert at California Grill. While we usually do get full meals there it is often like a couple of apps, split an entree, couple of desserts, etc.

Also, If there is room they will let you go up at eat at/near the bar as well even without an ADR - but if crowded (at it often is) they may not.

Not sure if you could get into Garden Grill as walk up (depends on crowds) but it is definitely one of the easier character meals to get so you definitely would have some time to change to that and could give it a go if they had any openings day of. They very well may but don't want to over-promise

You will really love the variety at Boma. Sanna's food is a little different (more Indian than straight African) and we preferred it but obviously depends on your tastes and if you want variety Boma will give that. Their soups, especially, are really good.

Definitely didn't want to "push" a character meal on you just thought I would mention it as sometimes adults only trips they don't even consider it and some of the lower key ones can be good ... definitely wanted you to know they aren't all crazy princess nutsy ones :rotfl:

I think picking ADR's is just as hard to pick as a resort. There are just so many great options....

I think your 50's Primetime dinner is a great choice for you. I have never been myself but the fried chicken and milkshakes sound delish!

Oh, Ms. South-- INFINITELY more difficult. Choosing our resort was a... "hmm... sounds nice..." type of a decision. We really are not complicated (although I did nix my Schatz' idea of grabbing pillows and sleeping under a bridge.

I truly and honestly thought the dining was going to be that simple. Look, say, "self, that looks good." and then walk up and get a beeper to wait 15 min. I did not think ADRs were serious. I thought the Dis was dising me, so to speak. *sigh*

I am so glad you wrote in your "$0.02" and really loved what you wrote. All of it. I feel bad that I cannot finish "Part 2" tonight to keep you updated.

I am keeping track of all of this as I attempt to find the right reservations (it's not always available the way I would want). Someone recommended waiting until the 45 day comes closer as people cancel trips because of the refund. :confused3

To be honest, I wasn't sure about 50's and never would have even considered it. I was all for leaving DHStudios to get dinner somewhere else. But then I read: peanut butter and jelly milkshake with a shot of chocolate syrup tastes like a Reese's cup (love reeses, just really do).... and then my TAs tale of her "never-eat-a-chicken" daughter who fell in love with the fried chicken and became a convert over dinner. That plus my Schatz' love for all things icy cold and... we're going to try it and I promise to update with the results.

We really enjoyed our O'Hana dinner and my DH is a huge meat and potatoes kind of guy!

Liberty Tree Tavern in MK is a good option for meat lovers too. As well as, Le Cellier in Canada in Epcot. When we went in 2009 it was only one table service credit. I think it might be two table service credits each now. If so, not worth two credits each.

Hmm... well I am really getting some great information on these ideas. 'Ohana is more a problem for me because of the limited non-shrimp/pork/well-done meat I've heard. But I come from a 1/2 hawaiian home and it is a bit of my culture (yes, I have the "real" hawaiian music on every so often--it is an interesting match to the Bavarian music styles let me tell ya) so it might be fun even if it isn't truly authentic. And I've read the view at night is 2nd to none for fireworks and the water parade.

This past trip in 2014, we tried a few new places. Some we enjoyed and a couple were just so so.

Since it is just the two of you, I think I would skip the character meals. I have gone to quite a lot of them since we have kids and they are okay but often you feel rushed and they seem to be more crowded (tables close together and very hectic). I know I tend to prefer the dinners I have had without the characters more.

I have heard mixed reviews on the restaurants and that makes it REALLY hard to know what you are getting. I keep trying to remind myself that all restaurants will have an off day or and off menu, etc. and that the chefs, the team and the servers are people with lives happening, too (I was one of those people and sometimes it is really hard to let it go and move forward with new guests, etc.).

I have intentionally left a few character meals--but the "tamer" ones. I just cannot 100% throw them away. However I am glad that Disney isn't going overboard with character meals at every location. I wish there were more "subtle" options--the characters perhaps integrated off to the sides. But I haven't quite given up the idea.

In MK, I second the idea of trying to get a fast pass lunch reservation for BOG. The food was incredible for a counter service meal and we really enjoyed it. The menus are just about the same for both dinner and lunch but lunch is much easier to schedule. Since you are staying onsite, they will send you a code and invite to sign up for a fast pass lunch.

Oh, I am trying for a fast pass... but will give up on dinner when it is a sure and definite null. I'm just a Belle at heart.

Liberty Tree Tavern is one that my family ate at last year. It is truly unique. For one, the experience is Colonial America - which may or may not be interesting for your soon to be DH depending on his interest in our history.

Also, the food is served family style at dinner. They bring out a beyond generous portion of all the foods for you to share.

Le Chefs de France was a great experience for my family last year. It is rather elegant food while still being casual in the environment. We are looking to go the beginning of December next year, and I hope to do the Candlelight Processional Package.

We did the Be Our Guest lunch, and I thought it was very nice. The food was good, although nothing necessarily exceptional. The atmosphere is a bit noisy and cafeteria like. However, the surroundings and decor is amazing.

The only character meal we did last year was Cinderella's Royal Table, and that's because my 4 year old wanted to meet the princesses. However, when we go back next year, I would like to try the Garden Grill. I think its setting in the Land Pavilion and the rotating platform make it unique. Also, the food there is served family style was well, I believe.

Are you planning on seeing Fantasmic while at DHS? If so, I recommend doing a package deal. We did the Fantasmic Dining Package at Mama Melrose's. The food was really good, plus you get an appetizer, entree, and dessert, and it's included in the DDP. So, that was a good investment for us to guarantee a spot at the show and get reserved seating.

The other option we did that I will recommend is Trail's End Buffet. It's a buffet that has something for everybody. We were there with my wife, daughter, father, and mother. We all have different tastes, and some of us are very picky. Despite that, we all found something we liked. It's not in the most convenient location. It is in the Ft. Wilderness Campground and you can't drive directly to the restaurant. You have to park at the campground entrance and ride the bus through the campground to the restaurant on the other end. But, that's a nice little detour. As a bonus, you can also do a carriage ride while you are there as well.

Sorry this is so long. I know dining can be a huge part of your trip planning, but I think you are handling it really well.

Hi Max,

I'm so glad you are chiming in here again! Brilliant!

Le Cellier is definitely 2 credits for dinner, but I believe 1 for lunch

I'll have to look into that one. Although we are mainly looking at evenings, that might be a good way to enter Le Cellier back into the equation. I've read good things about it.

Where can I find that out? MdSouth recommended it and I think it could be a good choice.

You will really love the variety at Boma. Sanna's food is a little different (more Indian than straight African) and we preferred it but obviously depends on your tastes and if you want variety Boma will give that. Their soups, especially, are really good.

It really was a toss up for us. We have the ability to get Indian here, but what I liked was the options of Boma (and the room looked amazing). I am just concerned that Boma will feel congested. I am not a 100% buffet person like the rest of my family, but I like the idea of carving stations and heardd the soups are out-of-this-world good. I am seriously considering throwing my one major rule (in part 2 of my dining--yet to come) out the window and just do both on alternate days.

You can definitely just do apps and dessert at California Grill. While we usually do get full meals there it is often like a couple of apps, split an entree, couple of desserts, etc.

Also, If there is room they will let you go up at eat at/near the bar as well even without an ADR - but if crowded (at it often is) they may not.

Hmmm. So maybe for out of pocket dining if we were to get the right time. I must admit the apps and desserts were what interested me. The idea of apps and split an entree plus desserts sounds perfect.

Question: is splitting really ok at Disney? I've heard many say they do it either to "save up credits" or just because, but I have never shared an entree as an adult (wouldn't you be hungry afterwards?). How do you go about it? Does it come across "funny"? (You know, they look at you odd or "reduce" the service? Honest interest here. It could "change" some plans/ideas.

I am considering a breakfast of the cinnamon roll and a venti gingerbread latte (I think that's what it is--the only drinks I like at starbucks are the holiday flavors) possibly sharing the roll with my Schatz (my coffee is mine--he won't touch flavored coffee. he's actually right, but then, he'll drink instant which I won't touch so gourmet we are not). But that is different to me.

Not sure if you could get into Garden Grill as walk up (depends on crowds) but it is definitely one of the easier character meals to get so you definitely would have some time to change to that and could give it a go if they had any openings day of. They very well may but don't want to over-promise.....

Definitely didn't want to "push" a character meal on you just thought I would mention it as sometimes adults only trips they don't even consider it and some of the lower key ones can be good ... definitely wanted you to know they aren't all crazy princess nutsy ones :rotfl:

Oh, no worries. I didn't take it as "pushing". I truly am conflicted about it. It could go either way--totally into it and "kids' fun" or... not. What I think we would most enjoy is watching the child interactions.THAT could make it totally worth it. The best way would be to actually have a family to go with. That would make us not feel so "out of the picture". I know many adults love it and own it and wear crowns and carry magic wands and I totally think that is AWESOME--but it isn't us.... yet? (How will my Schatz react???? popcorn::) Ps: Thanks for the assurance about the crazy princess dinners not being the only option.

:offtopic:We aren't crazy stalkers--we just adore the joy of children from afar. My Schatz promises all parents that I do return their children to them and says everything seems to follow me home: cats, dogs, mice, birds (we have a flock on our balcony--it's dangerous out there), children, lost students, tourists, grandparents... the list goes on and on... On the other hand he is a baby whisperer--he can tell you the issues of an under-7 with astonishing accuracy. He returns his followers, too, however. Does Disney do: Adopt-a-Family? :rotfl:

Sorry this is so long. I know dining can be a huge part of your trip planning, but I think you are handling it really well.

Hi Andrew,
Oh, no apologies! I love long posts (in case you didn't notice me rambling along--but I guess that's my right on my thread, right? wong? :confused3 hmmm).

Thank you for the compliment! Being a 100% newbie, that means a lot to me as learning the ropes is a lot more work than I thought. Every restaurant is 100% new to me--theming, cuisine, style, ambiance... and with no experience, I've been flying blind!

I really do appreciate everyone's input and help and I just hope you all feel it. [sappy interlude over]

Liberty Tree Tavern is one that my family ate at last year. It is truly unique. For one, the experience is Colonial America - which may or may not be interesting for your soon to be DH depending on his interest in our history.

Also, the food is served family style at dinner. They bring out a beyond generous portion of all the foods for you to share....

We did the Be Our Guest lunch, and I thought it was very nice. The food was good, although nothing necessarily exceptional. The atmosphere is a bit noisy and cafeteria like. However, the surroundings and decor is amazing.

You are right. You hit on exactly the 2 points that I am considering--the colonial touches may be lost on us (and I did hear some rather sobering accounts of the lack of enthusiasm calling out a couple from Bavaria as opposed to Wisconsin--that would be unfortunate).

We are going to be celebrating our first "American Thanksgiving" in the States 3 weeks earlier. (I do my best here--great praise but my grandmothers would be rolling over in their graves were they dead... I'm not good at that stuff and there is no Dollar Store with Thanksgiving deco and I'm just not crafty enough--Martha Stewart I am not.)

But it really is one of the more "historically themed" restaurant. It is the only one in the Magic Kingdom I am considering (and need to reserve) if I don't get BoG (no, I'm really not as obsessed as I seem to sound here in the past posts. Honest. AAAAACCCCKKKK!!!!!

Le Chefs de France was a great experience for my family last year. It is rather elegant food while still being casual in the environment. We are looking to go the beginning of December next year, and I hope to do the Candlelight Processional Package.

The CPP was the reason I "pre-reserved" Les Chefs. Then I saw who was doing the CP for our dates and looked at some youtube and went: eeeeehhhh.... nice if we get it but it isn't the end of the world if we miss it. I know!!!! Heresy!!!! Especially as the CP was a "must do" for me. But the voicing just does not match. Now if it were James Earl Jones'ish I would be packed and in line today (what's a few months camping out?).

Tempting though was the food recommendations. It seemed one of the more "formal" dinners available.

The only character meal we did last year was Cinderella's Royal Table, and that's because my 4 year old wanted to meet the princesses. However, when we go back next year, I would like to try the Garden Grill. I think its setting in the Land Pavilion and the rotating platform make it unique. Also, the food there is served family style was well, I believe.

Well that's 3 then, for considering Garden Grill. That would be a 2nd Epcot day? hmmm...

Are you planning on seeing Fantasmic while at DHS? If so, I recommend doing a package deal. We did the Fantasmic Dining Package at Mama Melrose's. The food was really good, plus you get an appetizer, entree, and dessert, and it's included in the DDP. So, that was a good investment for us to guarantee a spot at the show and get reserved seating.

We are planning on seeing Fantasmic and I actually requested that package, but it was already booked out for the day we are there. It seems to be an incredible value on the DDP, though. I really was considering this one, despite the fact that we get tons of Italian here--it would be "home cooking with american touches" for us.

The other option we did that I will recommend is Trail's End Buffet. It's a buffet that has something for everybody. We were there with my wife, daughter, father, and mother. We all have different tastes, and some of us are very picky. Despite that, we all found something we liked. It's not in the most convenient location. It is in the Ft. Wilderness Campground and you can't drive directly to the restaurant. You have to park at the campground entrance and ride the bus through the campground to the restaurant on the other end. But, that's a nice little detour. As a bonus, you can also do a carriage ride while you are there as well.

Hmmm. I hadn't even considered Trails End. Something definitely to keep in mind. We don't have a car but we are planning on doing a "resort hop travel day" including the boat across the 7-seas lagoon (that's the name, right?) to the Wilderness Lodge and that would be a little excursion from there. I've heard it's lovely out at the campgrounds!

I'll have to look into that one. Although we are mainly looking at evenings, that might be a good way to enter Le Cellier back into the equation. I've read good things about it.

Where can I find that out? MdSouth recommended it and I think it could be a good choice.

OK, just looked directly on the Disney website and it indicates it is 2 credits for both lunch and dinner ---- so there goes my brilliant idea :rotfl:

Hmmm. So maybe for out of pocket dining if we were to get the right time. I must admit the apps and desserts were what interested me. The idea of apps and split an entree plus desserts sounds perfect.

Question: is splitting really ok at Disney? I've heard many say they do it either to "save up credits" or just because, but I have never shared an entree as an adult (wouldn't you be hungry afterwards?). How do you go about it? Does it come across "funny"? (You know, they look at you odd or "reduce" the service? Honest interest here. It could "change" some plans/ideas.

Honestly we have never had any issues splitting things and generally they are open to it - though, obviously if you are using the dining plan you are limited to what that entitles you to

Especially at California Grill they are very open to people just ordering appetizers and dessert or getting apps and flatbreads and sushi or whatever

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter